Vacancy

Vacancy

A Chapter by Catala

Sometimes she forgot herself completely, while amongst her friends and family, Angela Brown would stare at the sky, or the ceiling, anything above her, and just sit. Her eyes would go for the longest periods unblinking, unmoving, as if to bore a hole through the plaster and woods, or the trees and clouds, into heaven itself. Those who knew her came to accept this as a normal occurence, certainly they attributed it to trauma in her child hood. Angela never really had a true family, but those she befriended called her sister, and their family as such, so that she had upwards of 10 parents, and 20 or so siblings. Her longest and closest friend Mariah could never place exactly when they met, only that it seemed Angela had just knocked on her door and looking blankly at her bare feet, latched onto her crying, clothed in a bloody wedding gown with no visible wounds to be found.

Angela herself had a bad memory, She couldn't recall anything of the dress or her past before Mariah, nor did she seem to recognize any of her episodes of staring into space. She would be talking and laughing one moment, then her mind would just seem to shut down for five to ten minutes, and she'd pick up her conversation where she left off, even if it had changed topics in her absence.

 

Doctors found no problems with her, despite a high immunity to common diseases, and a single silvery scar running down the middle of her back, beginning between the top of her shoulder blades and continuing to the middle of her spine. No signs of surgical work done, just a scar. Despite her rare vacancies, Angela and her friends had a successful life, filled with it's high points and low points, with nothing out of the ordinary.

"Angela!" Mariah's voice woke her from her daydream, something of falling, and screaming in agony, even as she was filled with a sense of comfort. "Did you finish your reports?" her friends brow creased with worry, knowing her vacancies were growing more and more common. "Yes Mariah, they've been on the bosses desk for three hours now," what was it she'd just been thinking about again? As Angela's eyes glazed over, Mariah sighed and walked away, leaving her friend to her own fantasies, with dark grey orbs turned heavenward.

 

In the shadowed reflection of her iris, if one were to look closely, it would be hard not to swear you saw feathers flying and swords clashing.



© 2008 Catala


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

164 Views
Added on May 22, 2008


Author

Catala
Catala

LA



About
I'm uploading old poems, and trying to write some new, so, yes, massive uploads. sorry ehheh "What is plucked will grow again, What is slain lives on, What is stolen will remain What is gone .. more..

Writing
Wholly Me Wholly Me

A Poem by Catala