The Magic Within

The Magic Within

A Chapter by Kaleidoscope Apocalypse

The light is muted here, as though the sun were not high in the noon sky. Trees whisper softly in the slight breeze as their snarled hands attempt to reach out for me. If anything, the eeriness of this shattered light is actually quite peaceful. Through the small shafts of light, I can see the dust

pirouetting in a solemn dance meant only for my eyes today. Somehow inviting, this area fits my somber mood.

 

A simple boardwalk marks the path that was once often used, in my childhood it seemed extremely useful, now I wish it didn't exist. My escape into these woods doesn't seem quite as distant with this man-made creation marring its beauty. Chipmunks romp nearby, ignoring my presence as best as possible, and evidence of other wildlife is imprinted in the mud nearby. Strange, that the ground hasn't completely dried here yet. Deer, raccoon, and other tracks that are impossible to identify prance through the dirt, signifying trails that I will not be able to follow.

 

An earthy smell permeates the air, wafting around me on the breeze. It smells green and mossy, but with the slight tang of dirt and animals, a comforting smell next to the choking smog of large cities. A couple walks by me, hand in hand, chittering softly to themselves. A silent nod in my direction tells me hello as they move on. Alone again, I have time to listen to the unusually natural space surrounding me.

 

Twigs crackle somewhere in the distance, signs that a creature is roaming about nearby. I hadn't noticed it before but really trying to listen now, the birds sing softly to anyone who will listen. Their song borders between comforting and annoying, however I would take this serenade over complete silence any day. Crickets strum along, adding their own twist to the chorus, making me realize that this wooded area is alive with sounds. I imagine this would be a magical place at night, with fireflies dancing throughout the night air, spotlighting the trees and tiny musicians. Beautiful.

 

This place holds a certain majesty that I had forgotten about since my last visit. The large old trees provide some protection from the elements, but they also fracture the light, causing an almost romantically frightening scene. The whisper in the wind sends a chill down my spine, pushing me further in on myself though my desire to explore has not been hindered. The sweet, natural smell allows me to breathe freely and I cannot help but to savor it. Sounds I would not be able to hear in the city are in surround sound here, a beautiful orchestra that nature has created for those willing to find it. Suddenly the outside world seems miles away, the stress of life seems forgotten in this shadowed splendor. I wonder now, when the next time I'll visit will be, and whether I'll be so fortunate to stumble upon this relic untouched again or not.



© 2008 Kaleidoscope Apocalypse


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

how picturesque and lovely this place seems to be. while reading i was able to journey back to my childhood and a very similar retreat. your descriptive writing fills all the senses, including imagination, when you wonder what the place is like at night. well done.

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

128 Views
1 Review
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 20, 2008


Author

Kaleidoscope Apocalypse
Kaleidoscope Apocalypse

Trapped in, OH



About
First of all, may I just say this; "I absolutely HATE trying to tell people about myself. I'm never sure what is or is not appropriate, and I never know what people will actually want to know." Now, .. more..

Writing