Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by CorrosiveDude

 Chapter 1

 

It was a cold night, the wind was very strong and the branches of the tree outside my house danced to the rhythm of it. I lied in my bed using my laptop for what I believe to have been 3 hours, so I stood up and stretched out a little bit. The red digits on my alarm clock caught my attention; it was 1:30 AM.

“Hmm… it’s still early, I’m going to browse just a few more sites and then maybe I’ll go to sleep” I thought.

I went back to my bed and did my daily routine: Passed through various sites, went through some Anime forums and found out the new episode of One Piece was out, better download it to watch it later *click*.

Since I had finished wandering over the internet, I opened my menu and clicked the tab that said Skype. After the typical noise you hear while logging on went through, the contact list showed that 3 of my “friends” were online. Well, I don’t really consider them my friends; they are more like strangers, strangers that shared a common interest with me, we all loved paranormal stuff.

Paranormal, as defined by Wikipedia, is a term that designates experiences that lie outside the range of normal experiences. The term paranormal ranges from ghosts, to moving objects with one’s mind. Sites about this have arose all around the world and between them; there is one where I feel alive, MetaWorld.

MetaWorld is a giant community of psions (The term Psion that is used in the paranormal community is a derivative of the word Psi, which is the energy that flows through our bodies) where you can find tutorials, practice groups and a lot of friendly members.

 Of course, as every paranormal site, there are the “God-like” members; members who are on another level as they like to say, but in reality they just have more practice.

As I wandered on the site, an article caught my attention; it was written in a purple font, which meant that an Administrator wrote it.

In MetaWorld there were only 5 admins, each one of them represented an element; the one who represented the fire was the endless flame PhoenixTamer. As calm as the water, DeepUndine symbolized the element of water. The 2 admins that were constantly arguing were the absolute defense, TerraGnome representing the earth and the fastest of all, Sylphracer who was said to be one with the wind.

But none of these had written this article, and the one who wrote it was the 5th admin, the one that represented the eternal spirit GameMaster. Since the creation of MetaWorld no one has seen GM write an article, or even comment on one. He has always been lurking around the site; banning people in order to maintain control and coexistence within the site. Even the other admins have never seen him before.

The curiosity invaded me and so I clicked the article’s link. A new window popped out; it offered a 20% of reduction on Viagra….. Seriously!? Ok, after closing that pesky ad I read what the 5th admin left for us: the article’s title was The Unveiling:

“Hello my fellow psions, today, we will presence the most important event in the history of the entire universe, the unveiling. Most of you must be wondering what I’m talking about, well, haven’t you ever questioned from where do myths come? From where did the myths of fairies, dragons and Pegasus came from? The answer is they are in front of us, but we can’t see them because they are in another reality, in another world…”

Had the 5th admin gone crazy? What was all this gibberish stuff he was speaking, my curiosity increased as I read the article.

“… In the other world, known as Verse, a group of elders putted up a shield, no, it could be defined better as a veil that supposedly protects us from the dangers of the other world. After several investigations, we found out that the veil was settled up around 500 B.C, during these years, a group of beings were highly developed in the art of the occult; they were known as The Enlightened ones, or as we know them nowadays the Mayas. Just some years ago after years of exploration a group of archeologists found a calendar, which calculated time in cycles, which said that the cycle we are currently in will end today..."

I focused my eyes on the hour this was posted and in a white colored font it marked 12:13 AM, so the day GM was referring to was today. I remember hearing rumors about the world ending on December 21st, but this is just insane; my tiredness vanished as I kept reading:

"... Today ladies and gentlemen, we are going to join hands with the other world and so, become one. Only those who are prepared will survive, those who aren't will be consumed by the new world. I wish you the best my fellow psions and I hope to meet you there".

These words echoed through my mind; I couldn't find a way to connect them. Maybe the GM was drunk and posted this, yeah, maybe it was that. But... what if what he was saying was true? A world full of magic, wonderful creatures and breathtaking sceneries, where people that are considered freaks would be considered normal? As my imagination started taking over my mind, my brain brought me back to reality. I know something like that would never happen, and so I went to the bathroom and soaked my face with water.

After the commotion my imagination had created ceased; I lied on my bed. Even though I knew that such a world could exist, I fantasized with dragons, elves and vampires as I fell asleep.

The buzzing noise in the morning announced the end of a dream and the beginning of a nightmare. I woke up just to find myself still on my bed. I was right... that article was just fluff. 

While I was changing clothes with great disappointment my sister, Atala, knocked the door with great delicacy.

"Brother, breakfast is ready" 

Her weak voice broke the silence in my room. My sister was born with a really weak body; she has gone too many times to the hospital because of her constant collapses. The doctor always tells us that her sickness might get better with time but my sister knows her time in this world is short, and yet, we can't do anything for her. I fantasized of a miraculous plant that existed on the other world which could heal any sickness, as I imagined the vivid colors of the medicine my sister's coughing woke me up from my daydream.

"Okay, thanks for telling me Aty"

"No problem Ray"

I've called Atala Aty since she was 5 years old; I'm just 3 years older than her and yet she looks at me with such respect. Aty calls me Ray as a diminutive of Raiden; our parents have travelled all around the world and they came up with these horrible names. After I put on a black-stripped gray t-shirt, a pair of jeans and my checker-pattern shoes I went downstairs. I found my mother serving some bacon on a plate which I supposed was mine because of the eggs since Aty doesn’t eat eggs.

“Good morning mom” I tried saying it with enthusiasm.

“Good morning Ray, why so depressed?” My mom is a human lie-detector: no matter how good you act, she will always be able to see through all those masks.

“I just don’t feel like going to school today…”

“Ray, come on. You’re 15 years old already; can’t you try to be more sociable?”

“Sorry mom, but this is just the way I am”

I finished eating my bacon and started playing with my fruit. Aty’s coughing increased as she spoke.

“Mom, do you know when will daddy come home?”

“That person’s name should never be mentioned in this house” I felt the anger inside of me increase “He abandoned us in order to continue with his stupid investigation and"“

“Raiden, stop! He’s your father and both of you should respect him”

“Respect him?” How could she say that “He left us with so many debts and he never showed to any of Aty’s birthdays!”

“Ray stop please, I’m sorry for asking” Atala interrupted me with what looked like a great effort considering her condition.

I was just too pissed; I got up from the table, grabbed my backpack, slammed the door and walked to school furiously. I mean, why do they defend him? He abandoned us, left us in this place and went to who knows where. The only memories of him being a “good” father was before Aty’s birth. It is not her fault or anything like that: even I don’t know when he turned into a monster. He had always been obsessed with his investigation, but after Aty’s birth he went insane. He stayed all day long in his office and only went out to get something to eat or to use the toilet.

It was 6 months after Aty’s birth that he left us: I still remember that day. Mom was begging him on the front door not to abandon us, and yet he left us. The cold look in his eyes pierced me like a pair of swords; since then I swore that I would protects Aty at any cost and also I would do my best to erase that person’s existence from the mind of my dear sister.

After a couple of minutes I realized I had already arrived to my destination. As I entered the main building I heard people muttering all around me. Gosh, isn’t there enough gossip already in our school? As I hung my black Kipling backpack on the back of my chair next to the window, I tried to cheer myself thinking how awesome would be to live a normal day; sadly god is cruel and unfair.

“Hey little bug who is it going?”

The extremely irritating voice of my bully, Tobias Johnson, (and his two shadows, Mike & Stevie) broke the silence in our classroom. This guy has been ruining my life since we were both 8 years old; it has been 7 years and he is the jerk of always.

“What do you want no Toby?”

Today was definitely not my day. These were the kind of days I wish I was never born.

“Here is today’s menu bug” said the noisy a*****e as he handed me a piece of wrinkled paper. I stared at him silently, waiting for his response.

“What, now you’re a deaf freak?”

His mocking laugher crushed what I had left of self-control; I had to find a way to get rid of the stored fury inside of me.

“Toby, I’m not in the mood of standing your disgusting presence, leave me alone!”

As my voice tone increased I pushed Johnson making him crash against the boxes on the back of the classroom.

What was I doing? Was I finally standing up against my aggressor? Was the 5th admin right? Several questions aroused in my mind when I realized Toby was standing up, and oh man he was furious.

“You bug… how dare you… I’m going to kill"“

“Mr. Johnson, sit down! Class is starting”

The convenient appearance of Mr. Frederic, our algebra teacher, saved my a*s. Toby was about 1.5 times my size and he worked out all day. On the other hand I spent all my day playing videogames, so the difference between us was as big as the moon.

“I’m going to crush your skull during break”

Oh god, I was dead meat. I’m going to get killed! When Toby gets furious, he turns into a demon. Why did I have to wake up today? Why didn’t I stay home with Aty and watch TV? No, in exchange I dug my own grave.

Mr. Frederic was writing an equation on the board when I got a text. I feared its content; thinking it might be the details of my death written by the poet Toby, but checked it anyways. To my surprise the mail wasn’t from Toby, but instead, from the most popular girl in our school Maria Heartkruz.

Her pink medium-length hair radiated happiness; she was also the student with the highest SAT scores. Her incredible ability at kendo & tennis placed her in the first place of the Brownstone High School Top Model list (a stupid list that some horny guys came up with).

I read the text message she sent me with great enthusiasm:

“Hey Raiden, I’m Maria. I just wanted to tell you that the way you stood up against Toby was just awesome. I can’t believe you did that; don’t fear him, fight him with all your strength. Even though you lose, you will have won an internal battle most can’t even face :3”

The little cat-like face at the end of the text cheered me up. I still couldn’t believe Maria was talking to me (well not literally since she sent me a text) but she was right; I finally overcame my fear against Toby. I knew he was going to kill me during break, but still, I felt a little proud of myself.

After Algebra class ended we went to the lab located on the first floor in order to take chemistry class. As we passed the audiovisual room Toby got close to Maria and whispered something in her ear. Maria's face which was full of bright went into a sudden shock; Toby then got away from her with his twin shadows and showed me a big mocking smile. Toby was planning something big; he wouldn't let me get away with what I did this morning.

The moment we arrived Mrs. Vicky grouped us in pairs and I got paired with Maria. What today started as a horrible day has turned into one of the best days of my life (ignoring the fight), I don’t think this day can get any better.

“Hey Maria, thanks for the text message: it really cheered me up. Let’s work hard from now on”

Maria had raised my self-esteem and so I thought that this might be a good chance to get close to her, but I felt a cold and gloomy aura radiated from her.

“…. Please try to avoid speaking to me…”

Huh? Wasn’t she trying to cheer me up just some moments ago?

“B-But why"”

“Sorry, I don’t want to be involved with you anymore; let’s just work on the practice without talking to each other”

What happened to her bright smile? Suddenly, as an arrow the memory of Toby speaking with Maria pierced through my mind. That b*****d; whatever he’s planning is going to get really messy.

After a depressing laboratory practice we went to the 3rth floor and entered the audiovisual room; today we had a French mock exam. I heard the people in the recording talking over and over but I couldn’t concentrate. My eyes were focused on the clock; each tick represented a second less until Toby’s master plan took place.

“Alright kids, time is over. Hand in your papers”

Great, I didn’t even write my name on the exam. As Mr. Dilautre picked up the exams I just filled the multiple choice questions randomly until I felt a presence near me.

“Mr. Myfriel (Yep, not only my name was weird; another thing Toby used against me constantly) if you’re not going to even try to answer the Mock then you should go"”

A gigantic tremor made Mr. Dilautre fall; the boxes filled with cassettes and headphones on the back poured down on several students.

“Quickly, everyone evacuate the main building!, Males students must help female students to get out.”

Mr. Dilautre tried to get up, but with the oscillatory movements of the floor even the students had problems. I followed my teacher orders and helped all the girls evacuate the audiovisual room; after this there were only 4 persons left without counting me nor the teacher; Toby, Jack, Spuck and Maria.

“Seriously Toby, you are going to get your revenge here? We might all die; let’s get the hell out of here!”

Toby’s evil smirk answered my question; he was going to carry his revenge and he was going to use my weakest point against me.

A year ago, Toby caught me writing a love letter to Maria; since then I’ve been their 24 hour “b***h”. I had a crush on Maria, and I didn’t want to involve her in my problems.

“Toby, let Maria go; she shouldn’t be involved in our fight. If you’re truly a man then fight without having to shield yourself.”

A maniac laugh came out of Toby; he is truly insane. Before I could notice Spuck and Jack held my arms in a position where I couldn’t move; the positive side was that the tremors stopped.

“Hide? Oh dear lord, I would never do that. I just want to make sure you suffer this to the point you regret your own existence. You see, our virgin Maria isn’t as virgin as she seems.”

What was Toby talking about? Was he blackmailing Maria with a secret? But what kind of secret could make a person submit completely to another one? The very thoughts of this made me shiver.

“Tobias stop. You swore that you wouldn’t tell anyone if I obeyed you completely.”

“Oh right, I forgot about our little promise” Tobias rushed and grabbed Marias neck; with his brutal strength he threw her against the wall. Little cracks started forming on the ceiling.

“Maybe I should turn you into my personal sexual slave. Yeah, taking away your virginity will definitely feel awesome.”

But destiny wouldn’t Toby get away with this. As the lusty beast got closer to Maria, who looked like a helpless puppy, another tremor occurred. The cracks which continued to grow in the ceiling showed the unavoidable fate of Toby.

“Maria, hide under the desk!”

Maria reacted immediately to my command and hid under the nearest desk. Toby then realized what was going to happen; he tried to run, but it was too late. The great pressure caused by the tremors affected the building, the ceiling crash; luck was definitely on our side. An enormous rock crushed Toby’s left leg. His friends released me immediately in order to help him. While the three bullies were busy, I used this advantage in order to grab Maria and escape with her; as we left the audiovisual room we heard Toby’s curses. Again the tremors stopped.

“Err…. Thanks for saving me…. And I’m truly sorry for"“

“Don’t worry; Toby was blackmailing you so I understand you completely. For now, we need to find an exit”

Our hopes were crushed when we saw the collapsed stairs.

“S**t, we need to find another route to escape, that rock won’t stop Toby for too long”

“Hmmm…”

“What is wrong Maria?”

She pointed the left side of the building “Do you see how devastated is the left building? That’s because it’s the oldest part of the school. If we’re really lucky then maybe some walls might have crashed and we could find an escape route”

“As expected of the student council president; let’s go”

I kicked open the door of the classroom 3D; just as Maria had expected there were holes everywhere. We then descended in order to get to the first floor and we were in a hurry; the voices of The Toby troop could be heard. As we passed through the holes we arrived to classroom 2F.

“Ok, we are in the edge of the left building. We just need to go down one more floor and we will be able to get away”

After a lot of analysis we couldn’t find a way out of classroom 2F. We were so close to freedom and at the same time we were far. Then, Maria got close to windows and checked them.

“The whole school has evacuated the surroundings. Quickly, check if you can make a call; we need to get someone to help us.”

“Damn, my phone is dead.” After checking my cellphone I turned to see Maria; her expression told me her's was dead too. We tried to find another way to escape but another guest came from the hole of classroom 3D, it was Spuck.

“*Huff**Huff* you guys run really fast… *huff**huff* but now you can’t escape.”

“There is no other way, sorry Maria.”

I quickly grabbed Maria who was shocked in a princess-like form and jumped through the windows. What was I doing? I don’t know parkour and I sucked at sports, yet, I didn’t care. I needed to save Maria. We landed on my back, and felt at least 3 broken ribs.

“Ughh… let’s keep going… we are close to the exit"”

“Raiden what did you do! We need to get immediate medical attention”

Indeed, the pain was unbearable, but we needed to get away; the third tremor was starting. As we advanced trying to not fall, a gigantic shock separated us; opening a fissure between us.

“Raiden!”

“Maria!”

The fissure got bigger and bigger, with my current condition there was no way I could cross it.

“Maria go on, I’ll find a way to get to the other side”

“But, what about"”

“Just do it! Hurry before it’s too late”

“Ok… thanks for everything Ray, see you on the outside of the school”

I saw Maria passing the library and then lost her; my vision was getting blurry. S**t, the fall really affected me. I lied down a little bit on the grass, trying to get ahold of myself. Suddenly I felt little pieces of something similar to crystals falling on my face. How was that possible, I wasn’t near any building so there was no way this was possible. I focused on the sky, just to see it cracked like a sheet of glass.

“What the"”

As I saw the sheet of crystal on the sky shatter, I blacked out. I no longer differentiated between reality and my own imagination. Maybe this was all a dream, yeah, if this was the real life I would probably by dead by now. Yeah, my alarm clock will wake me in any minute; this is just a dream….. Just a dream…..

 

 

 

 

 

 



© 2012 CorrosiveDude


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Good start with a fun concept. Perhaps because you mention anime, I'm picturing this as an anime in a Japanese structured high school. It is a bit wordy and would flow faster with more condensed description. For instance, you essentially say twice that Maria is shocked her cell phone dies. In other places finding a more descriptive, encompassing word will make it more visual. For instance, paranormal "stuff" is rather vague. I really like the cracking crystal sky!

Posted 11 Years Ago


CorrosiveDude

11 Years Ago

I corrected the part where you said that Maria is shocked at her dead cell phone.
Horizon K.

11 Years Ago

Better:)
Want more? Check http://kuroibaraden.blogspot.com

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

201 Views
2 Reviews
Added on October 4, 2012
Last Updated on October 6, 2012
Tags: Collision, The world's rebirth


Author

CorrosiveDude
CorrosiveDude

Toluca, Metepec, Mexico



About
Hey random person who is browsing through my profile! I hope you enjoy the visit in here. For what I wonder, you're here to learn more about me and so I will take you on a trip to my mind more..

Writing