Dreaming Hopeless

Dreaming Hopeless

A Story by Ryann Woodhouse

I SAT THERE ARE THE HOSPITAL EMERGENCY WAITING ROOM. I had been there since 7 in the evening the night before. It was about 2 in the morning by now, I was sure of it. My boyfriend Kyle sat next to me, his cap over his face. He was probably asleep. I listened as the heavy rain poured down on the building. The sound made me kind of tired. I remembered whenever I had a fight with my dad, growing up, I would listen as the rain hit the roof of my room. I'd close my eyes gently and listen to the different sounds that the rain drops would make sometimes, as if it was a chorus singing me to sleep. Sometimes rain still did that to me. But tonight was just a night where I couldn't fall asleep.

The clack of the keyboard from the nurse at the desk echoed in the room. I listened and looked down at Kyle. I was glad that he had decided to stay here with me all night, even though I was sure he'd rather be home with our dog BoBo, and in bed with me, his arm wrapped around my curves, and his nose lightly touching my red curls that fell over my shoulder in a braid when I slept.

I played with my fingers, exhausted, bored. I wanted to sleep. So bad. But I wanted to stay up to make sure my dad was okay. I mean, I know he was a jackass to me when I was growing up. I knew that he hated me. He never wanted me. I was just an accident. He'd told me that so many times when we fought when I was little. But I still loved him. No matter how many times he hit me, yelled at me, called me every word in the damn book, I still loved him. And I always would.

My mother was dead. She had died a few years ago. My dad has been depressed without her since. I felt sorry for him, but then again, I was glad he was sad. Because he knew how I would feel when he hit me and called me names. He realized how much it broke my heart, and how much I wanted him to tell me he loved me. Just once. Nothing more than that. Just to know that he didn't mean anything he said or did to me. I prayed everynight at the foot of my bed before I crawled in and curled myself into a ball to make sure I was safe from everything that surrounded me, that the next day he'd hug me and cry and tell me he loved me that he didn't mean it, he was just mad. But that day never did come.

I looked down at Kyle. His arm twitched softly against his chest, but he was still asleep. His snore was silent; quiet. It echoed in his hat and he snorted once as his arm twitched again. He was silent for a moment, and then he started snoring softly again. I smiled and put my hand on his shoulder, rubbing it with my fingertips. He lifted his cap with his fingertips, just slightly so that he could peek out at me. Almost like a middle school boy, peeking into the girl's locker room. He smiled some and sat up a bit and looked at me, raising his cap more so that I could see him. "You okay, babe?" God his country accent made my heart skip a beat.

I nodded, "Yeah, just tired." I whispered back. He nodded some.

"Me too," He whispered. He leaned over and kissed me softly. I kissed him back and he smiled, showing his fang. I smiled back and giggled softly. The clack of the keyboard from the nurse stopped as she looked up at us and stared for a moment. She pushed her glasses back up to the base of her nose and started typing again, making more clanking noises as she banged on the keyboard furiously.

Kyle yawned and I looked at him. "Booh, go back to bed. I don't want you staying up if you're tired." i rubbed his shoulder with my fingertips again and he looked at me. He nodded some and smiled again.

"Thank god. Cause I'm freakin' exhausted." He kissed me again and leaned back in his chair, pushing his cap over his face just like before. And soon enough he was snoring softly. I smiled some and leaned over the arm of my chair, staring at the doors, waiting for someone to come out and tell me my dad was going to be okay.

I yawned. God I was tired. But no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't fall asleep. I had to know my dad was okay. But something was telling me that I should just give up and go back home. He wasn't going to come out of that hospital room if he hadn't yet now. I nudged Kyle and he looked up at me. "Hmm?" He murmured.

"Can we go home?" I whispered, "I'm tired. And I wanna sleep in bed with you and BoBo." He looked up at me and nodded some. He got up and grunted as he stretched. He wrapped his arm around my shoulders and started walking with me.

"And where are you going, Ms. Woodhouse?" She asked me as Kyle and I stepped towards the door. We paused for a moment and I turned back to look at her. Her glasses hung low on her nose, letting her deep brown eyes glisten in the lighted room.

"Home. Wou-Would you mind telling the nurse that's taking care of my dad that I said I love him?" I asked, looking at her.

She nodded some, "Okay. I can go and do that now."

I smiled, and Kyle smiled too. I knew that Kyle and my dad hated each other, I could tell by the way they looked at each other. But they would deal with each other just for me. Which I found kind of funny, because I wasn't that special of a person for them to do that for me. But obviously they thought so.

"Ya ready to go home?" Kyle asked me as we walked up to his truck. The rain poured down on us, and we were already soaking wet by the first few steps we took. But we were together and that was all that matted to us.

I nodded, "'I'm ready to go home..." He unlocked the doors to his truck, "And to let go, too." I added, and got up into his truck, sitting in the passenger seat. He turned to me and looked back at the front of his truck, turning the F-150 on.

"Ready to let go?"

"Of my dad..If he doesn't make it-" I stopped mid-sentence.

Kyle stared at me, "You won't lose, Pete, Kat."

I looked down at my hands, "My heart tells me something different, Kyle, my heart tells me something different." And with that said, we drove home. For the rest of the ride, it was silent besides the rain drops that hit the windows.

 

© 2012 Ryann Woodhouse


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This was amazing! I found this piece to be completely original, surpirsing, and just.. well amazing! Haha!
I really enjoyed the plot. It was short, sweet, and--what I love most-SIMPLE!! Some stories would be, yes, heart-warming and very touching to those who understand it.. but when 99% of the readers can't even comprehend what is going on.. well that would just spoil the whole piece! You may have talent, and amazing plots planned out in your head, but if you don't learn how to keep everything simple, and how to cut out any unnecisary parts in your piece, well that would just cheapen the writing.
But no worries, I'm pretty sure that you have no problems with intertwine within that. :)

Ah.. and now for the hard part: what could you improve on? Grr.. I hate this part, but I force myself to do this.. XD.
Just a few minor details is all I found. :3 So here it goes:
- I find that whenever a character of yours nods, you tend to mention the word 'some' right after it. Yes, it does fit, and--to me--makes the writing more interesting and unique. But using that term over and over again, after every nod, may get the readers to be thinking: "Ok.. can you use anything other than just nodding?" And I"M SURE you can!
It's reasonable that every writer has their own ideas of how they would add some more "texture" or "feel" into their writing, but all that's really needed is to make sure that the author doesn't over use the terms.
-oh wait.. that's it. o_o XD
Ok, anyways, with that done and put aside, it was a great read, and I look foward to reading more of your writing!♥

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This was amazing! I found this piece to be completely original, surpirsing, and just.. well amazing! Haha!
I really enjoyed the plot. It was short, sweet, and--what I love most-SIMPLE!! Some stories would be, yes, heart-warming and very touching to those who understand it.. but when 99% of the readers can't even comprehend what is going on.. well that would just spoil the whole piece! You may have talent, and amazing plots planned out in your head, but if you don't learn how to keep everything simple, and how to cut out any unnecisary parts in your piece, well that would just cheapen the writing.
But no worries, I'm pretty sure that you have no problems with intertwine within that. :)

Ah.. and now for the hard part: what could you improve on? Grr.. I hate this part, but I force myself to do this.. XD.
Just a few minor details is all I found. :3 So here it goes:
- I find that whenever a character of yours nods, you tend to mention the word 'some' right after it. Yes, it does fit, and--to me--makes the writing more interesting and unique. But using that term over and over again, after every nod, may get the readers to be thinking: "Ok.. can you use anything other than just nodding?" And I"M SURE you can!
It's reasonable that every writer has their own ideas of how they would add some more "texture" or "feel" into their writing, but all that's really needed is to make sure that the author doesn't over use the terms.
-oh wait.. that's it. o_o XD
Ok, anyways, with that done and put aside, it was a great read, and I look foward to reading more of your writing!♥

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

273 Views
1 Review
Added on June 10, 2012
Last Updated on July 23, 2012

Author

Ryann Woodhouse
Ryann Woodhouse

Lakeville, United States Minor Outlying Islands



About
I'm 13 years old, technically 14 though, because my birth certificate has a typeo on it that says I was born in 1999 instead of 1998. I love romance and thriller books. They're my life. And so is mus.. more..

Writing