The Checkout Line

The Checkout Line

A Story by LA Lorena
"

My first attempt at a story.

"

I hate grocery shopping.  Never fails I invariably end up in the wrong line, the one where the cashier is either new, or the little old lady in front of me demands a price check on every other item. Today was no different. The cashier did not need to change the till tape right as she was about to start my order, so I should have seen the omen. Then it happened. A couple falls into line behind me, a squalling infant held in arms. I turn to look, and freeze.

 

Fifteen years since I last saw him. Time has been kind it seems.  A few more lines around his eyes, but still that same intensity to them.  Back then, they always seemed to be undressing me. The hair a little thinner than I remember running my fingers through, but not yet overtaken by grey.  Still the athlete's body I notice, not a trace of paunch, and as if by reflex, I straighten my shoulders a little, flatten my stomach some. It helps that his wife has not lost the baby weight obviously, and I feel only slight less self-conscious. Still, I would have preferred they been in front of me, not behind. Not my best angle.  I shimmy a little to the side, trying to obscure the offending vision somewhat. Camouflage with the grocery cart. (I've done this before)

Lean slightly forward so he does not see the items on the belt, obviously too meager to feed more than one. The conveyor belt screams judgement. I silently plead with God to let this cashier be quicker about it.

 

He speaks.  Oh, that accent. You can take the man out of Manchester, but not the Manchester out of the man.  That's not changed a bit. How well I remember how just the sound of it saying those naughty things could set me on fire. Damn, but it's hot in here! My cheeks flame red, as I recall those wild nights of ecstacy, unbridled passion, broken bed frames and wearing the biggest smile I have ever sported in my life. Can't the damned b***h pack my things any faster??? 

 

Recognition. I resign myself to it. Pleasantries exchanged, the words meaningless and forgotten now. They never were important to us, those who were more accustomed to paying lip service and speaking in tongues.

 

I pay the lady, hastily grab the handle of my trolley and begin to wheel away, "good to see you again Tony" I lie through gritted teeth, hopeful to make good my escape before it all comes flooding back to him, as easy as the dampening between my trembling thighs.

 

"Good to see you too,Tiger".

 

Too late.

© 2013 LA Lorena


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I knew I would love this no matter what when I read the title. Not sure if you want critiques or are just posting this for the hell of it, but I noticed you changed tenses a few times. Just a thought. Besides that, you wrote it well, I was entertained the entire time.

I also hate grocery shopping and checkout lines but never once has something like that happened to me while standing in one. I just might tolerate it a little more if it did. At least it would cut a little bit of the boring out. :) Nice job!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

That_Girl

11 Years Ago

This was where I got tripped up. "Then it happened. A couple falls into line behind me, a squalling .. read more
LA Lorena

11 Years Ago

LOL! I go on Saturday nights sometimes, just to avoid the crowds, and because I have nothing else to.. read more
That_Girl

11 Years Ago

So THAT'S when I should go... Hmmm I'll keep that in mind. These Friday afternoons are starting to w.. read more



Reviews

makes me wonder what it must be like to leave enough of an impression to provoke this kind of thinking. he must have been very good or you been very impressionable.



Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LA Lorena

11 Years Ago

I'm not impressionable in the least. we lasted only slightly longer than his furniture did. ;)
Oh those awkward encounters with exes... "shimmy a little to the side", that is cute... you always want to make them think you are doing better now then you were with them but you always run into them in the most unflattering of moments... I think that is part of God's sense of humor. I enjoyed the story.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LA Lorena

11 Years Ago

glad you enjoyed my story and my discomfort dale! ;)
The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

11 Years Ago

Oh we got to laugh at those moments, after all we all experience them
It's relatable, everyone has been there, both the shopping experience and meeting an old flame when you feel you're not at your best. Like the part about the rear, ha, I can definitely relate to that. Wanna see my best side, delve deeper, what you've done with this piece. Nice, I really like it LA rawr.

And ugh, his name had to be 'Tony'!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Frieda P

11 Years Ago

So, they're ALL trouble...
LA Lorena

11 Years Ago

I don't think the name has anything to do with it, it's the gender! ;)
Frieda P

11 Years Ago

hahahaha
Oh this is amazing i love the intense visual imagery of the characters and scenery you portrayed in write. For your first attempt at writing a story, this stunning! I love the well not so subtle hints of sarcasm, wit you weaved through out this write. Again, this is nothing short of being amazing. Thanks for sharing, LA Lorena! -- 100 to 100 -- Brava! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LA Lorena

11 Years Ago

thanks barrie. I'm not normally a story person......
ms. barrie

11 Years Ago

you welcome, LA Lorena :)
Hey great first attempt LL! Liked the situation as we can all relate to it. The flow was great and an easy read. The line 'The cashier did not need to change the till tape right as she was about to start my order, 'was not clear. And the ending was a little confusing as I sort of felt it should have been her regretting not having said hello and fantasising in her mind what she should have said and what he might have said back. She never spoke to him or seemingly made eye contact so it felt strange she would speak at the point of departure and he would reply?

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LA Lorena

11 Years Ago

Okay, took your words to heart and revised things accordingly. Does this clean it up any?
John Alexander McFadyen

11 Years Ago

Yup! now this is GOOD!
LA Lorena

11 Years Ago

Yes, have pleased John. All is right in the world now! WOOT!
reminds me of a dan fogelberg song, only a much different ending...

i don't usually read the stories..but when i saw it was your first one..had to...glad i did.

quite an attention grabber...and held it, wanting to see how it ended up...


been in this situation before...caught when i wasn't at my best...ugh..didn't want an ex to see me like this.

jacob

Posted 11 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

11 Years Ago

it's quite good when pieces almost write themselves and let us be the conduits...that's a great zone.. read more
jacob erin-cilberto

11 Years Ago

i almost find myself wanting to call you "Al" now..lol...
LA Lorena

11 Years Ago

LMAO! Don't you start! This kept playing out in my head as I drove to work this morning....I don't.. read more
This is wonderful............bravo!! This might be your first story, but I certainly hope it is not your last! You have written it in a way we can all relate to - running into someone we don't expect to ever see again, and then memories come flooding back - such passionate ones at that! The ending was terrific, love the name choice of "Tiger"...shows he still remembered too!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
DrD
What a fun read! Wonderfully presented with every clever nuance possible. Seriously, this is great stuff.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ouch! Ah well, at least your card wasn't rejected as well!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LA Lorena

11 Years Ago

LOL! Oh, that would have been brilliant!
Nice little piece--good concept. Well written.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

593 Views
21 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 4, 2013
Last Updated on January 4, 2013

Author

LA Lorena
LA Lorena

Canada



About
Hello, I'm known as LA or LL. I am a bit of an enigma, but I like it that way. I'm on a bit of a hiatus from the site for now, as life has gotten a little busy, but I shall return. more..

Writing
Blush Blush

A Poem by LA Lorena



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Bats Bats

A Poem by Baby Ricochet