Blind Faith

Blind Faith

A Poem by LJW

The faith of the blind stares me in the face
Unblinking
Sells me sharpened pencils from old tin cups
Back in 19-something-something, before Civil Rights and disposable diapers
High heeled shoes and Braille menus
Someone/somewhere
Had to be the first to go blind.
Open their eyes in the morning expecting to see the same ceiling
Same window. Yesterday's reflection and the old yellow dog.

(I think before faith sparks, hope explodes in colors behind the eyes, unnoticed).

One last time. I hope I see my children/my mom/the overflowing trash can/the backyard/the next sunrise/sunset/ a panoramic mountain view/the broken screen door/the next red cardinal in the snow.

Myself. I want to see myself.

I think Blind Faith is born in the dark. It is an only child whose mother didn't make it through childbirth. It's an immaculate conception. It's the pin prick hole in the backlit black fabric pulled tight over unseeing eyes.
Stretched taut over gasping mouths that form the words

Please let me BREATHE.

© 2018 LJW


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Faith by definition must be blind. If it "sees" it is logos, knowledge. Everyone has faith in something, i.e. we are all blind. It becomes suffocating when someone wants to force their blindness on others. I'm not sure this poem is a reflection on faith as such, or religious intolerance, or zealots, or anything like that. Looking at the comments, most readers seems to enjoy the play on words and the lack of concrete message, theme, or "meaning." I think the two don't have to exclusive, but that'd be opening a conversation on the purpose of art, and it's impossible to agree on something like that.


Posted 2 Years Ago


LJW

2 Years Ago

Thank you for your comment.
Absolute POETRY. You make think and dwell deeper than anyone has... I'm a no one really, but it does say something about your brilliance. Brava!

I've missed you... Oh profundity that wakes...!

Posted 7 Years Ago


when did we lose it EXACTLY? I remember having faith. When did I get to be so cynical and tired? I'm glad you're here.

Posted 7 Years Ago


LJW

7 Years Ago

Thanks! In and out...
What the blind can see. How do we see hope? What is faith? How do you do this? This is perfection, nothing less.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LJW

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much Ken.
a clear struggle to come to grips with our visible and invisible worlds ... i feel that tension start to finish as i read ... i love this poem ..a very real and vulnerable approach to such things ... and that "Blind Faith" seems to highlight the connection between hope and faith ..and that many times it is darkness that drives us to our knees ..in need ... deep and thought provoking write ... helps me kind of pinpoint my own place in the blind world of my own faith ;)
E.


Posted 8 Years Ago


Faith of the Blind, blind faith.... interesting concept.
"(I think before faith sparks, hope explodes in colors behind the eyes, unnoticed)."

...and it does.
beautiful

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

175 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on February 21, 2016
Last Updated on July 6, 2018

Author

LJW
LJW

New England



About
I have been gone for a very long time. Writer's block. It's a thing. Good to be back. ❤ more..

Writing
Sketchbook Sketchbook

A Poem by LJW


The  Unbecoming The Unbecoming

A Poem by LJW


Plant Plant

A Poem by LJW



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Mother Lode Mother Lode

A Poem by LJW


The Pen The Pen

A Poem by LJW