Sprite (Annabelle's Story Part One)

Sprite (Annabelle's Story Part One)

A Chapter by Leigh Michael
"

First chapter of Sprite (Annabelle's Story Part One)

"
CHAPTER ONE


The screaming was deafening. It was impossible to hear anything else. I pressed my fingers to my ears and still, the muffled sound roared.
Looking around me, every single girl was doing the same thing. We all had our faces as close to the opened windows as possible. The cold wind from the night was snapping against our skin, but no one seemed to care. In fact, we all were sporting huge smiles.
It had become a tradition of ours. Of my swim team, that is. After every W we brought home, we would scream our brains out when our bus came within a mile or two of the high school.
It was our way of announcing our return home after each and every victory. And this victory, in particular, was extra special. We were now the New Jersey High School State Champions. Boy did it feel good.
For me, it was even more special. Not only was it my eighteenth birthday, not only did I set a personal best in the butterfly, but it was also my last swim meet before heading off to college.
College.
It was something I was definitely ready for. I worked my butt off in high school. And it sure paid off. In just a few months, I’d be packing up and heading across the country to UCLA.
Sure, my parents, especially my mom, weren’t thrilled with the idea of me moving so far from home, but it’s the best pre-med school in the country. Dr. Annabelle Walsh sure has a great ring to it. Plus, I’d also be supporting the Gold and Blue in the pool with a full swim scholarship. How can my parents give me a hard time when I’m saving them some major cash on tuition?
As I envisioned my future in California, the screaming cut through my thoughts and reached an all-time high. Bringing myself back into the moment, I realized we were pulling up the hill to the student parking lot. There waiting for us would be our family and friends.
Most of my teammates could drive, but even still, our friends and family were our biggest fans and would race the bus back to the school to clap as we descended the bus stairs. And knowing my dad, he would have made his way right to the front of the crowd.
When the bus rolled to a stop, we all looked at each other with grins on our faces and gave a solid five more seconds of screaming, followed by three boisterous, “Woot! Woot! Woot!”
Dad sure didn’t disappoint. As soon as I stepped off the bus, he was right there waiting for me. I only had to take two quick steps before he was picking me up in his arms into a bear hug.
“My little Bellerina, I’m so proud of you,” he gushed into my ear.
It’s a nickname based on another nickname " Belle " that has stuck with me since I was a little girl. My dad always said that as a swimmer, I would dance my way across the water. So graceful and fluid " just like a ballerina on stage. Hence, Bellerina.
As a teenage girl, I really should have been embarrassed, but for whatever reason, it was a name I loved to hear. Well, as long as he didn’t say it too loud.
“Thanks, Dad,” I whispered back.
“You did great today, a new PR,” he said while lowering me back to the ground.
“It sure felt great. That last race was tough though. I think that girl was really gunning for me.”
“She sure was, but she came nowhere close. I even saw a few scouts from UCLA checking you out. I guess they wanted to make sure their upcoming star swimmer was doing well.”
I could only smile back. My parents were both so supportive of me. My little sister, too. We were definitely a close-knit family. Sure, there were times I wanted to pull out Lindsey’s hair, but at the end of the day, my sister was my best friend.
“Oh, look who’s here,” my dad said interrupting my thoughts and pointing off to my right. “Blake is waiting for you by your car.”
Just hearing his name sent a rush of butterflies into my stomach.
Blake had been my boyfriend for just about a year now. To say he was hot wouldn’t even be doing him justice. He has this sun-kissed skin that always makes me jealous of my own. And those big brown eyes that are hard to break your gaze from. On top of that, he’s got sandy blonde hair, chiseled abs, and a killer smile. He was every teenage girl’s dream.
How he was with me, made me wonder at times. I suppose some people think I’m attractive, but Blake just seemed out of this world. I have light brown hair, bright blue eyes just like my dad, and like I said, skin that refused to tan.
“Go on,” Dad said. “I’ll see you at home.”
Before darting off, I gave my dad another quick hug, repositioned my swim bag over my shoulder, and then headed towards the direction of my car.
Along the way, a few of my teammates and their parents gave me a quick shout-out to congratulate me. Did I mention that today had been a fabulous day?
“Hey you,” Blake said when I was just a few steps away.
Unable to contain myself, I leapt the remainder of the way into the air. With a fluid motion, he caught me and swung me around in a full circle before gently bringing me back down to my feet.
“Did you see me kick that last girl’s butt?” I asked.
“Sure did. It’s times like these that I’m proud to call you my girlfriend,” he replied with an oh-so-sexy grin.
Then before I could respond, he kissed me. It was one of those kisses that made you forget your name. I’m not talking about a make-out session in the middle of the parking lot of my high school. It was just a quick kiss. Casual " but in a good way " like he’d been meant to kiss me his entire life.
Simply being infatuated with Blake would be an understatement. The best part was we weren’t going to endure one of those horrible long-distance relationships after we graduated. Blake not only had dashing good looks, but he also had brains. In August, we would both be starting at UCLA. To be honest, I don’t know if this made my parents relieved or more anxious about me leaving.

“Hey, who’s that?” I asked.
“Who?”
“Behind you.”
Before Blake could turn around, the man who I caught sight of was gone. One second he was there, and the next, he wasn’t. As if he vanished. It was very odd.
“Uh, he’s not there anymore,” I responded, puzzled. “He just looked really strange, that’s all.”
“What do you mean? Where was he?”
Shaking my head, I replied, “Over by the entrance of the school. He had this weird straw hat, white linen-type pants, and a bright floral shirt. Considering it’s the dead of winter, he just looked really out of place.”
A weird look crossed Blake’s face, but he quickly composed himself.
“Well,” he started. “I think that’s our cue to get you home. There are all types of weirdos out there lurking. We wouldn’t want anything to happen to you, now would we?”
Before I could respond, he continued, “I’ll see you tomorrow?”
“Of course, the concert starts at eight, and I think the girls want to hang out a little beforehand at like five or six. We gotta celebrate our big win from tonight,” I added with a smile.
“Girls will be girls, I suppose,” he said with a laugh.
In response, I gave Blake one of my looks that he’s coined “the perfect eye-roll.”
“Just text me in the morning after you talk to your friends,” he continued.
“Sounds good, goodnight babe,” I said going up onto my tiptoes for one last kiss.
“Night, Belles.”
It was another nickname I’ve grown to love, but this one originated from Blake.
With a sigh, I beeped my door unlocked, climbed in, and looked up to give Blake a quick wave goodbye. Oddly enough, he was nowhere in sight.


© 2012 Leigh Michael


Author's Note

Leigh Michael
Buy Sprite now at www.amazon.com/author/leighmichael

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

really great start i cant wait to read more of it. =)

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

358 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 25, 2012
Last Updated on May 1, 2012
Tags: Annabelle's Story, Sprite, Leigh Michael


Author

Leigh Michael
Leigh Michael

About
Well, just for starters. I'm a wife, sister, mom (of our golden doodle), author, copywriter, triathlete, marathoner, and mac n' cheese lover. more..

Writing
Burned Burned

A Story by Leigh Michael