Memoirs  about clothes

Memoirs about clothes

A Story by Sharada Lakshmanan
"

Interesting twists about clothes , women , death.

"

Clothes maketh a person

women's day celebrations
----------------------------

There was a quick chatter among the women in the office . Sara was listening to the chatter. It was decided that they are going to wear saree to the office  for the Women's day . There was excitement in the air .  The women's freedom has been given only to dress themselves , thought Sara. Sara felt conflicted with her thoughts , "Are dressing up is just a big  thing for a women?" . The moment she gives less attention to the dress , she always finds women well dressed , with well maintained hair , danglers , hazy make up taking the attention of the entire crowd. The universe always talks to her , when she feels conflicted .

The women dress themselves with a thought "At least let me get the attention for the clothes " . The  sacrificing toil of the women never gets noticed at all through the life , except for  few notable women.

Sara had not draped saree for long , ever since she recovered from surgery . she had a Violet colored zaree saree  gifted to her during her cousin's wedding . she was too lazy and she had a well styled golden blouse that will blend with any saree.

she went home and took the saree , picked the accessories  , as she generally don't have much time for finding clothes in the busy morning. Neither did she want to forget that she has to wear a saree . she placed the saree in  huge couch near her bed , it reminded her of to wear it. she used her huge couch to lay her dresses  .she always kept  five pairs of clothes for a work week .She felt if difficult to fish her clothes from wardrobe in the mornings . She might unconsciously wear some floral kurta , in case she forgets . Her friends might be annoyed again.

she made all the preparations to go sleep early as she wanted to wake up early by 4. She had tucked her kid to sleep and her husband was at Budapest . Her parents and her grandma stayed in a nearby apartment.

she tried to sleep with her wavering thoughts and she lost sleep by 1:00 AM at night. she was feeling uneasy and had some uncomfortable times. she had a call from her husband at 3:00 AM and her alarm was set to 4:00 AM. "why would he call me so early " and it should be late night for him too. The cell phone rang incessantly and she picked up , and she muttered "hello".

Her 97 year old grand ma has passed away peacefully in her sleep . It jolted her out of the sleep . How strange ?
Her Grandma was so healthy that everyone thought she will successfully touch a century . She  would miss her silent presence at home and she had met her early a week back.

Wished i had met her a day back , she sighed . Her child woke up from sleep and she told the news about his Great grand ma. Her child simply told "Grandma should have just slept and can never leave".

How strange ? she saw the saree that was neatly lying and she thought she will not wear it . she was getting ready with a black kurta  for the funeral.


Her grandma's was lying in the saffron  robe  , having lived a life of a saint . The lifeless body looks quite unreal with the sober people around .

© 2018 Sharada Lakshmanan


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

215 Views
Added on April 10, 2018
Last Updated on April 11, 2018
Tags: clothes death

Author

Sharada Lakshmanan
Sharada Lakshmanan

Chennai, India



About
Author "Magic Of Art" , Author Of "Sleeping Queen" more..

Writing