Chapter three: The "zombie"

Chapter three: The "zombie"

A Chapter by Lacey Whetten

Ace’s point of view

A whirlwind of thoughts rushed through my head as I contemplated on what just happened. I wonder what that was about? She woke up screaming and now she just had a massive headache all the sudden. I decided to let it go and not question her because, whatever it was, it looked like she didn’t quite understand it either. Last time I saw her in that much pain was when, we thought, she died and became infected. The poison from their DNA going through her veins must have been unbearable. As soon as I realized she had gotten scratched it was too late. She had already collapsed on the ground and her breathing became heavy and rapid like she was carrying a 200 pound weight on her chest. It was only a matter of seconds before she started to twitch like she was having a horrid nightmare. The rest of the Archers had already fled the woods and left me alone to comfort her. I rushed to her side to help, but I soon realized there was nothing I could do. “Tess? Tess! Can you hear me?” I cried. In soft quiet whispers I heard Tess say “Go, go before they come back.” I know I shouldn’t have left my best friend. But, before I knew it my heart was beating fast than I could run away and tears stung my eyes.

Lost in the thought of that horrific night, I accidently ran into Echo before her shift change started.

“Oh! Hey Echo, I’m sorry I didn’t see you there. How’ve you been?”

“I’ve been better, so how is the “zombie" doing?” I felt my irritation build up and boil, but I took a deep breath calming me down.

For the past couple of days, Echo has been like this. Denying any hope that Tess is alive, calling her a “zombie” instead of infected. A couple of years ago we called them that, but it didn’t fit. These “zombies” were sicker with veiny skin, blue and purple bags underneath their eyes, and elderly white hair. So, the term infected was born because if one contaminated you (scratched you), you are instantly incurable. Or so we thought. 

“Echo, Tess is our friend and we need to support her. Can you at least try to behave?” I retorted back at her trying to control my temper.

“No, you know why I despise her. Anyways, did you talk to her or can she not talk like the rest of her kind?” Echo said annoyed with my tone.

Since the infected don’t exactly have a way of communicating they don’t talk at all. As far as we know, the grumbling noise we usually hear from them is them trying to talk, but they don’t have the mental capacity to form words. My dad always thought that they communicated telepathically, but my mom was convinced that they acted on impulse and never thought or spoke anything. 

“I did talk to her, but I didn’t talk to her about that yet. It wouldn’t help us to question her anyway, she has absolutely no memory.”

Last night, I was supposed to watch Tess Ann and question her about what happened during the attack and how she found our camp a few nights ago. But, when she told me she doesn’t remember anything, I figured that she wouldn’t know anything about what happened. She is the first one to endure an attack by the infected and live to tell the tale. Sadly, the tale has been lost in the deep depths of her forgotten memory.

“Well, there goes any chance of figuring out a cure.” Echo crossed her arms in frustration.

Echo is 22 and therefore one of the oldest kids in camp. She’s the head doctor, so it’s her job to run tests and figure out a cure for the apocalypse. It’s been four years and so far no leads.

“Don’t lose hope so soon, Echo. I know that you’ll be able to figure this out somehow.”

 “I don’t know, Ace. I’ve been running tests for years and everything leads to a dead end. I give up.” Folding her arms in defeat, she glanced down avoiding my gaze kicking a rock to the side. This is strange, Echo never gives up, this is not like her.

“You can’t Ace. The entire camp is counting on you.” I yelled mad at her. My face beginning to heat up and burn with furry.

“I KNOW! Just let me worry about that and you worry about the zombie and getting the information out of it even if it kills it, permanently.” Echo growls, frustrated walking past me, nocking my shoulder.

How dare she! I’ve never heard her say such an awful thing. Grabbing her scarred wrist, I instantly turned her around to face me. Her face in shock and pain but I ignored it. I pointed at her vigorously. “Echo! You know you don’t mean that. I’ve seen her, she is still in there. Her eyes- she is alive whether you want to believe it or not.”

Ignoring me, she walked into the quarantine cabin without giving me a second thought, but my mouth had other plans.

 "How can you give up like this? I looked up to you!" I yelled at her with all my bottled up emotion, letting everything out that I’ve held in for so long and saw her back stiffen. Turning around, she marched toward me saying something I will never forget,

“Sometimes it’s easier to give up then hold onto hope you know will fail. So I suggest you back off and save yourself a heartache getting attached to that thing.”    



© 2015 Lacey Whetten


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

98 Views
Added on February 10, 2015
Last Updated on February 10, 2015


Author

Lacey Whetten
Lacey Whetten

Queen creek, AZ



Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Lacey Whetten


Skylar Skylar

A Chapter by Lacey Whetten