Chapter 5 � THE SECRET SEA

Chapter 5 � THE SECRET SEA

A Chapter by Lauren Xena Campbell

Millicent looked around as best as she could in the dark. It was bizarre how that the sea wasn’t there. How could it just disappear? Where it once was now lay a large clearing surrounded by mighty trees, reaching towards the sky. The vibrant grass shone orange in the light of a waxing moon. In the centre of the plain was a small brick well but what use was any of this? Where was The Sea? With out The Secret Sea how could she ever find the other world!

 

Ever since leaving the house Millicent’s heart had been racing. As she lay on the floor of the kitchen, Stepfathers lips pressed against her, she had realised that her sister may still be alive. And if there really was another world beyond The Sea, that’s where she would find Alice. It had to be true, if they’re Mother believed then so to must Millicent. This was the chance of freedom, the chance she had longed for forever.

 

And now The Sea was gone, and when she needed it the most. Millicent struggle to fight back tears, saying over and over in her head, It’s not over yet! There was still a little time before Stepfather would catch up, but she couldn't stay here, this was the first place he would look. Running across the clearing, Millicent raced towards the trees for cover. Entering the columns of wood, she dived deeper into their keep, looking for a branch low enough to climb upon. Eventually she found one, and not a moment to soon; already she could hear the howls in the distances, the rumble of angry devils.

 

Pulling herself up onto the branch, Millicent climbed up higher, until she was hidden but the lower branches, so as not to be seen from the ground. The wind whipped through the branches lashing at her bare flesh with its viscous claws, but for this Millicent was thankful. With out it she was sure to give into exhaustion and full. Millicent sat in that tree all night, waiting for the hunt to give up. Towards dawn the howls subsided and with the new light of day, Millicent felt sure it was safe to come down again.

 

The bark of the tree was still wet from the rain two nights before despite the baking sun the day before. When finally Millicent did reach the ground she fell over into the mud. Last of sleep and food was slowly using up the last of her energy. Is she didn’t eat something soon, she knew she would go to a place there was no coming back from.

 

Pulling herself off the ground she forced herself onwards, and out into the clearing, surveying the area for sings of danger. A singer rabbit grazed, running off at her appearance. The air seemed still. Millicent looked at the small stone well in the centre of the clearing. It small roof entertained missing titles and even a birds nest resided in the wooded rafters. Yellow moss had begun to grow up the stones, colouring the grey. Millicent moved closer to the well, wondering why she had never heard of one being here. She then inwardly giggled to herself; probably the same reason that I didn’t know there was a sea here! she thought.

 

As she got closer, Millicent saw a small winch bolted to the side of a think wooden support beam. Trailing down into the depths of the well was a think golden rope, on which Millicent presumed was a bucket. Thirstily, Millicent began to host the rope up, with was difficult as the winch was rusting. But as the end of the rope appeared, Millicent discovered that there was no bucket on the end. Whimpering slightly, Millicent peered over the edge of the wall and down into the well. The sunlight emerged from behind a white cotton cloud and illuminated the shadowy hole. It went down quite far, but at the bottom there was no bucket…or water. The well was completely dried up! Instead, at the bottom was glass, like a round leaded window, made of bright colourful glass. Millicent stood bewildered; unable to comprehend why someone would put a pretty stain glass window at the base of a well! 

 

“Come on dogs!” Shouted a voice only a short distance away.

 

It was Stepfather!

 

Without think Millicent grabbed the rope and swung herself over the edge of the well, and began to fall faster then lightning towards the bottom. The rope was uncoiling fast when it suddenly reached it’s end. With a sudden jolt Millicent stopped in mid air, five feet above the glass.

 

Above a shadow approached the wells opening. A voice commanded the dogs to “Halt!” as it neared the well. Then the scraping of the rusty winch began to play. Panicky Millicent released the rope and felt the last five feet towards the glass. Landing with a thud, Millicent yelped in pain uncontrollably. The glass around her started cracking, like veins of destruction, the cracks spread, ready to break.

 

“What the…”

 

A face appeared at the top of the well looking down. A shocked Stepfather squinted into the semi darkness.

 

“Millicent!” He yelled with more abhorrence then ever. His head withdrew quickly, and before Millicent could blink the two-barrel shotgun was pointed down the well. A round was fired. Like a tigers roar the sound echoed deafeningly down the well. Millicent screamed.

 

The glass broke.

 

Millicent fell.

 

Falling down into darkness. A sudden light appeared beneath her feet, and before Millicent knew what has happened she was descending through clouds and bright blue skies. The light was unbearable; jamming her eyes shut Millicent felt the impact of her body falling into salty water. Unable to breath, Millicent kicked her feet rapidly, forcing herself upwards, to the surface.

 

Blue merged into blue. Sky and sea seemed as one. And land was nowhere to be seen. But Millicent just smiled. She had found the Secret Sea.

 

 

 



© 2008 Lauren Xena Campbell


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love the touch of the well with the window in the bottom. It was a very unusual way to send someone to another existence. Very nice! I thought it was also great that her captor actually set her free. I'm sure he is so mad at his own stupidity. I understand that this is a short story, but I wish you would expand on it some and add to the excitement with a little more detail.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I'm amazed. I thought you might be flagging a little at the top...though I thought when the storm was raging that you were gathering yourself. The well at first I thought it was a little like the Wardrobe in Narnia...but that was not a problem as I was very curious to see how you would handle the well. The glass down the well was a brilliant touch. Things went from despair to hope in a moment...but how to break through it? The instinct is perhaps not to break through. But in the breakthrough is forced by the evil man. There is a dream qulity about passing from the confinment of the well into the freedom of the sea. I thought there was great energy and imagination in play there. I am impressed.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow.... I'm very mpressed! Aside from a few spelling errors this story was rather amazing. I haven't read one quite like it before and the ending was perfect, completely open to interpretation. Well done.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

you didnt tell me this chap was done!!!
nvm...that aside
there are a few spelling error and wrong word being used in some places [i think]
but it has a good story plot...
and please dont leave me hanging!!!
this is not the end right?

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh wow!!Don't tell me it ends here................fabulous descriptions as she leaps into the well........and we are of course unsure if she has been shot..........but she has in her mind reached the secret sea and is away
from her step father.
You so wish Millicent happiness, and that she find peace and love away from what she has known ..........

You have written a very strong emotional story of a girls struggle to survive.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

294 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 6, 2008
Last Updated on February 20, 2008


Author

Lauren Xena Campbell
Lauren Xena Campbell

Somewhere on the edge of the imagination



About
Dreams are not made to be broken, but are created in the heart to write destiny! I've always loved making up stories and putting words down onto paper, despite the fact that I only really learnt to.. more..

Writing