A Day in the Life

A Day in the Life

A Story by Lalaek
"

Darnell is just a regular human boy and that's the problem!

"

    Quiet snickers and giggles followed him down the road as he walked the same, boring path to school. It never changed; everyone in town knew that he was a freak, a stranger among the strange. His hair was a mild red, not too unusual and green eyes peered from tired lids, his skin was a warm cream color nothing about him was unusual and that was the problem. Everyone in their town, hell as far as he knew everyone in the world, had something special about them! Be it a creature linage; you know vampires, were, Fae, or magik, powers, whatever. He had nothing, a boring humanoid figure and nothing special about him, nothing at all.

    "Hey! Darnell!" a familiar voice called out, he turned to look at one of the few people in his class who spoke to him, at least with friendly intentions. The other boy towered over his meager six feet, reptilian scales cresting across his face and hands, covering his long agile tail.

    "Hello Altair." He greeted with no real conviction, He was hoping that school would just go by and he could return home in the confines of his room ignoring the world again. Left for another sleepless night in the dim light of his computer screen searching through scroll after scroll, text after text, hell even blogs anything with a hint of how he could be made to fit in here, made like others. He listened blandly to Altair's latest reenactment of his latest female conquest, nodding in the right places but never really hearing. Finally seated at their desks school seemed to slowly make its way towards starting. It was as if everyone was moving in molasses and he was trapped wishing it would all go faster. The teacher came in, her alabaster skin and red eyes giving way to her heritage if only vampires hadn't lost the secrets of turning others then he would've sought help there.

    "Good morning class, today before we start we have a new student, Please welcome him and make him feel at ease." she said her voice soft with a silent promise of good things to come. The door opened and a boy a little shorter than him came in, the first thing you had to notice about this boy was his vibrant blue eyes. So bright they seemed to glow even in the dim light of the classroom, next Darnell felt his eyes drawn to the pert cat ears atop the new boy's head. A mix of chocolate and brown that faded into his red-brown hair, matching the long tail wrapped around one leg as if he were nervous. 

    "H...Hello, My name is Kohin Narim, Please treat me kindly." he said softly eyes cast downward and flicking up to glance at the class now and then.

    "Oh I'll treat you kindly little kitten..." Darnell heard Altair whisper licking his lips with a forked tongue. He rolled his eyes, hopefully Kohin wasn't naive enough to trust people like Alt.

    "Why don't you take the empty seat by Darnell? I'm sure he'd be happy to show you around." the teacher suggested and then began class. The little kat-boy came over sitting in the empty desk and gave him a small smile. Darnell smiled back but it was a quick and unfamiliar motion that felt strange to him but perhaps not a bad strange. The day progressed much the same as always with everyone passing him by as they walked from class to class but now there was a little kat following him like a lost puppy. The kat-boy happened to have all the same classes as him so he had reluctantly agreed to show him the way but he hadn't expected the boy to talk with him or even really acknowledge him. Yet by the time lunch rolled around and he had settled at the same empty table in the corner by the door Kohin came over and sat with him.

    "Why are you sitting with me?" Darnell asked, perhaps a bit coolly but it was a legitimate question in his mind. Kohin's ears drooped a little and he looked sad,

    "Do you not want me too?" he asked in response eyes glued to the table. Darnell almost wanted to tell the boy to go away but he looked so dejected...

    "It's not that." he muttered glaring at his food, "You could sit anywhere and they would welcome you why would you choose to outcast yourself with me?" he continued blushing lightly.

    "Why are you an outcast?" Kohin asked looking him over as if seeking a reason, as if it wasn't obvious! Darnell stuffed his anger to glare at the kitten,

    "Because stupid, I'm a human. I haven't any powers, or Magik or anything." he hissed voice dripping with venom. Kohin looked surprised,

    "That's stupid. They don't like you because you’re different?" he said looking at everyone who was whispering, pointing or laughing in their direction. Darnell hated it, they usually left him alone at lunch but now even that little peace had been taken away from him. He grabbed the bag that contained his lunch and stood up, not even looking at the kitten.

    "Leave me alone." he said and walked off, no longer caring about school. It didn't matter anyway. He ran outside and grabbed his bike, fumbling with the chain, angry tears pricking the sides of his eyes. Why did they all have to hate him? Even the kitten was probably pretending when he tried to be nice, no one cared about him. He pedaled furiously to the small flat that his parents paid for him to live in; even they hated him for his lack. As if it was his fault! If he could then he would do anything to be like one of them, any of them. He slammed the door shut not caring that he hadn't locked his bike up; no one would take it anyway. He sprawled on a couch, letting out a huge sigh and staring at the popcorn molded ceiling. Small paws gripped onto the mounds of his shirt as his only companion, Miri the ferret, climbed up. She sniffed the tip of his nose and gave him a cautious lick, clicking at him in concern.

    "I'm alright Mir. Just tired. So very tired." he whispered closing his green eyes hoping for sleep. It didn't come, never did, he would be up to the limit of exhaustion and then crash never truly experiencing sleep. He pet her idly and tried not to feel bad about being so mean to the kitten, it wasn't his fault that his life sucked. The smaller boy had even tried to be nice.
  
    "I guess I'll have to apologize tomorrow." he said aloud as Miri clicked at him again. He sat up giving her a crooked smile,

    "A Miss princess wants her crackers hmm?" he murmured lovingly picking her up and settling her on one shoulder. She clicked cheerily and stuck her nose in his ear. Before they moved to the kitchen though someone knocked on his door, "Who would be here? Were you ordering pizza again Miri?" he said waiting to see if they knocked again. At the third knock he went over and peered out the peep hole what he saw surprised him. Opening the door he now heard the pitter of a sudden summer shower and looked at the little kitten standing there soaking wet.

    "Kohin! What are you doing out here?" He asked while ushering the other boy inside and telling him to stay standing for a minute while getting a towel. He ordered the other boy to stand still while he dried his hair and ears, and awaited an answer.

    "You left the cafeteria and you seemed angry and hurt. I wanted to make sure you were ok." the kitten replied sniffling a little. It wasn't that cold out but he was thoroughly soaked and the clinging wet clothes made him chilled.

    "So you followed me in the rain? What about school?" Darnell demanded satisfied that he was as dry as he was going to get and handed him some dry clothes, pointing to the bathroom. Kohin obeyed and spoke through the door;

    "It was a half day, remember? Only one other class after lunch. I picked up your sent outside the school and I decided to follow you to make sure you were alright but then it started raining and your sent got washed away and I got lost. I found your house by accident, I had ducked under your landing to hope the rain would stop and caught your sent from under the door." he said voice muffled in intervals where he pulled off and on a shirt. The kitten exited the bathroom having draped his wet clothes over the shower like Darnell had instructed. For a moment Darnell was speechless, his clothes were ridiculously oversized on the kitten the shirt going down to about his knees and the sweat pants even tied the tightest he could hung low on slim hips.

    "Why bother going though all that trouble for me?" He asked looking at the adorable kat-boy in confusion.

    "Because you look like you need a friend, and I don't think that just because you’re a normal human that makes you bad." Kohin replied with a huge smile, Darnell looked shocked.
    
    "You just meet me today," he muttered looking embarrassed. Kohin laughed a soft bell-like sound that made his face shine,

    "Yes. And tomorrow and every day after that we will spend becoming and staying friends. How about it?" he said holding out a hand with a smile, Darnell grinned and shook. Before either of them could say anything more Miri poked her head out from behind Darnell's hair and chirped, she had been promised a cracker and said cracker had yet to be received!

-Fin-

 

© 2009 Lalaek


Author's Note

Lalaek
... I have nothing to say. =D

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews



This story is amazing! It's so ironic that he is human and that's what makes him different. You should turn this into a book. :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

246 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 16, 2009

Author

Lalaek
Lalaek

Charlton , MA



About
I am a reclusive person by nature, large crowds of unfamiliar people tend to make me very uncomfortable however that isn't to say that I don't enjoy meeting new people quite the opposite really. I hav.. more..

Writing
Wrestling Sheep Wrestling Sheep

A Story by Lalaek


The Descendant The Descendant

A Story by Lalaek