The City of Gold

The City of Gold

A Poem by LastMonth
"

Gold is rare, expensive and gorgeous. Blood is common, cheap and appaling. Did we ever have a chance to begin with..?

"
There was once a city, at the center of this world.
Her streets were quite gorgeous, her domes coated in gold.
Her walls were ancient, their bricks were old. 
Many adored this city; of her beauty legends were told.
There was once a city, within her a temple of faith.
But some disagreed, and sometimes faith can breed hate.
More temples arose, all pretaining the same.
There can only be one god. Then the violence came.
A city of gold, splattered with red. 
The city was crying, the city bled.
A city of gold. 
Can you see how beautiful she is?
Don't mind her weeping, just enjoy her, be at ease.
The city of songs, can you imagine life without her?
The city of blood. The city of disaster.
And time has gone by, and the blood pooled at her gums.
The corpses filled her gardens, their memories silenced her hum.
But the gold, can you see it..? How beautiful it is..?
Some of it was taken,
There were soldiers to appease. 
The songs are still there! They sing of valor and hope.
But the city is misreable, clawing for ways to cope.
There are soldiers there always, dying to defend.
But there she is, crying, she just wants it to end.

© 2016 LastMonth


Author's Note

LastMonth
Written for 'Jerusalem Day' in my country.
A day in which we honor the City.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Such a real, authentic telling of the history and sorrow of this city- beautifully told, with pathos and vivid imagery. Very sad, but very true depiction of the beauty and luminescence lost to violence and arrogance. It brings my heart closer to the realities that people now face in Jerusalem, despite the fact that visiting there is a sacred pilgrimage for so many. Thank you for writing this touching truth.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Thank you for reading. The story of Jerusalem is harsh, I believe it should stand as an allegory for.. read more
Marianne Rose

7 Years Ago

I agree- we must find a way to protect and safeguard the sacred without chains and locks. The heart .. read more



Reviews

So beautifully tragic just like life all around. Terrible things going on that I wish would end. So I say this is such a wonderful poem!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Thank you. :)
GalaxyGhost

7 Years Ago

You're welcome!
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Gee
A beautifully sad write. Jerusalem is synonymous with death, misery, war, to us, but should be the polar opposite.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Thank you. I too wish it wasn't so.
How sad it is to see the place of Jesus Christ under such pain, a city which has always been the city where the son of God put his foot and lived a life just like a human being and spread the message of hope all around the world... I think your message is quite familiar to the condition of the whole world at this present moment with war and terrorism all round... If the city of our savior is under such pain then what the other parts of the world can have at this moment? I think the concept you chose here is quite beautiful and sad, it really stands out... Well done...

Sincerely
Dhiman

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Thank you for the compliments.
It's a bitter tale, really. The city's legacy is as much about.. read more
A wonderful way to honor Jerusalem Day. I love the way it seems like you're telling a story. As I said, wonderful. This brought tears to my eyes.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Thanks for stopping by Hyacinth. I appreciated it.
A most beautiful piece that guides the reader to the wonders on not only your mind but your intelligence, well done, good read.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Thank you kindly for the review.
I'm glad you enjoyed it.
A beautiful, sad, and truthful tribute to Jerusalem
Small notes -- minor corrections -- use a semi colon instead of a comma, last line, first stanza, and in the last stanza add an S to want. That said, it is a wonderful poem, and these little details are ones many native English speakers would miss, and in no way take away from the poem.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Oh. That's quite fine. I almost never get around to reading them either.
Sometimes I wonder .. read more
Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

I was raised Catholic, and we too see Jerusalem as a holy city. While I understand its historical an.. read more
LastMonth

7 Years Ago

If only human lives were as valuable as historic places, holy artifacts and such,
Maybe we wo.. read more
This is a very creative & powerful message on many levels. The stand-out idea is that fighting over faith is senseless (to me). There's also a side message about how people can sometimes cling to appearances, saying everything is good becuz it's still gold all over the outside, but "blood pools at her gums" (very vivid phrase, I'm seeing buildings like teeth with blood around the base). And the final stanza does a great job describing an uneasy truce, so heavy it can crush spirits, but we still sing & cling to the vision of gold, while trying to ignore the tears & blood.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Thanks alot for the review Barley. The city itself is both magical and dreadful. I wish people could.. read more
I love this poem! The interplay between beauty and hatred/violence, represented by the combined imagery of gold and blood, is vivid and powerful. The combination of these sharply different elements in such a blunt, stark way clearly expresses the emotion and struggle behind the story of the city. I think the best example of this is the fourth stanza - the juxtaposition of hope and admiration with despair and death is very interesting and effective. I like the questions like "But the gold, can you see it..? How beautiful it is..?" throughout, as they lend an almost desperate tone to the poem. It's like the speaker is trying to hide all of the horrible things going on and focus on the positives because they love the city so much that it hurts to have to accept the brutality that is a part of it. Yet at the same time there is acknowledgment of that brutality: "The city of blood. The city of disaster." Just a couple of suggestions - change "want" to "wants" in the final line, and if you could, I would use a different word than "elope" in the third to last line. I get the idea, but it sounds a little odd in the poem, almost like the rhyme is forced. Do whatever sounds best to you - and don't forget that near rhyming is totally acceptable. :) Overall, I was very impressed with this poem. You have done an excellent job of honoring the city and expressing the beauty and conflict that make it what it is. Great work!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

That's actually really, really helpful.
I think I'll do it right now.
I was debating o.. read more

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1126 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 5, 2016
Last Updated on June 7, 2016
Tags: Prose.

Author

LastMonth
LastMonth

Tiberias, The Southern Galil, Israel



About
I like writing, I suppose. English is not my native tongue, I picked it up at school and mostly improved it through computers. In my early 20's and would appreciate thoughtful and impactful review.. more..

Writing
The Clock The Clock

A Story by LastMonth



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The cake The cake

A Poem by Bala Gorthi