TRUTH?

TRUTH?

A Poem by Latoria Sheppard

The truth if I shall speak it, share it, or seek it is only what you may perceive it to be. No I wasn't born in chains or discarded by God's grace and freedom never cost me a thing. I placed myself in a cage to shield my heart, my mind, my soul from the world and now I'm told I'm distant. The truth is only a portion of my story-line and I find it snickering at the late night fears, the tears soaking my pillow case is invisible to those I smile for, dance for, perform for. And so truth is just a word. The lies that surround my very existence captures my youth and I am no longer seek what was once just a dream. Lost in the stream of swallowed rage and joyful cries. The truth lies just beneath the cracked bridge of burned sheets and hidden figures. My truth...if you shall ever seek it will never be in the words of strangers or in the eyes of loved ones. It will be in the forgotten about black wallet that only gets remembered on judgement day. Stay just a little while longer to hear the sound of lost innocence and false pretenses; so not just myself will have something to tell or rather sell to the population of enraged Americans. Stay....just a little while longer for the applause that comes right after my silent screams... Sorry it was only a dream... Truth if I shall speak it, share it, seek it is nothing what they said it would be... Guess freedom does cost something.

© 2020 Latoria Sheppard


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

43 Views
Added on May 26, 2020
Last Updated on May 26, 2020