Chapter 1.3 - Powers Looming

Chapter 1.3 - Powers Looming

A Chapter by LauraEmilie

Lycoris took notice of her father's graying hair and could not help but imagine him with the same vibrant dark blue color as she and her siblings had. It seemed to be a dominant trait, even trumping the black color their mother had.

“As you have hopefully figured out, I wish to speak with you Lycoris,” he said in his usual regal tone.

“Yes father,” she said as she stepped inside the office and managed a quick wave goodbye to Kristian before her father closed the door. After he closed the door, he walked over to his office chair. Lycoris took this moment to look around the room. First thing she noticed was the presence of her aunt, Rena. Next were the extravagantly decorated bookshelves, they were made from a rare cyan wood which could be found all over the castle. Her father’s desk was also made with quite impressive woodwork, though this time of black ebony wood. Of course, the Moon Symbol was all over, just like everywhere else. She turned her attention back to her father as he sat down.

“How are you today Corie?” her aunt asked, making her presence known for the first time. It had been a little while since Lycoris had spent time with her aunt.

“I’m feeling great! Lately, I’ve been advancing my spell levels. I find the number of spells and their uses fascinating.” Lycoris felt a sense of pride over her accomplishments blooming in her chest.

“That’s actually what we wanted to discuss with you today,” her father joined in.

“We’re here to talk about your power level, Lycoris,” Rena clarified.

“Is something the matter?”

Lycoris was confused, why was talking about her power level so urgent they had to pull her out of class?

“We want to discuss your aura” Magnar paused. “It has become quite unstable recently.”

Lycoris remembered her early teenage years. She had been growing into her powers, along the way her aura had become unstable, and she became prone to random and destructive magical outburst.

“As you know, at the age of five most children’s power levels are checked by either your father or me,” Rena began. “The thing is, we are only able to sense the potential a child has; we’ve learned to identify their power level based on said potential.”

“Most of the time we are correct in our assumptions. We found great potential in you, and none in your brother,” Magnar seemed to examine her. “That statement still holds true. However, it seems you’ve surpassed what we thought would be your max.”

That statement somewhat surprised Lycoris; her potential had always been beyond her years. Everyone, including herself, had thought she was simply a fast grower in that department.

“What does that mean exactly?” She asked worriedly. Her mind wondered to the last time her aura had been unstable. Sometimes objects around her would randomly burst into flame or they would float and break when she realized it was her doing. Strong emotions would cause the same effects.

“We can’t say what your exact level would be at this moment, but it surpasses 18 though doesn’t reach 19.” Rena explained.

“You will have to focus on learning to stabilize your aura,” Magnar added, “Therefore, Rena will stand in as your private tutor in control, as she did when you were younger.”

“It takes different techniques to control a larger amount of power, and it’s important you learn as fast as you can,” Rena said as she held eye contact with Lycoris.

“So, there’s no way of knowing how much damage I could cause if I were to have outburst?” Lycoris’ voice was trembling at that point.

“Please don’t be scared Corie.” Magnar reached out and held her hand as he spoke. “Whatever happens all of us will get through it just fine, okay?”

She simply nodded her head in response.

“It’s settled then. We’ll pull you out of school for now. You can continue following the syllabus privately with Mr. Lurel if you wish.”

“I’d like that.”

 

***

 

Dash had seen Lycoris enter her room in a distressed state. Their father had told him what they were going to discuss. He understood how much anxiety she had had when she first had an unstable aura. She had been afraid of hurting him and others around with her magical outbursts, which was frankly only fuel to the emotional fire. He wondered what exactly their father and aunt had said to her.

“You know…” said a female voice from behind him, he immediately knew who it was. He turned around.

“What do you want?” He said in a tired voice. It was then he noticed her attire which was virtually identical to his. She wore a deep cyan open-edged jacket-like garment reaching as far as her shins, the dark blue detailing at the edge of the short sleeves was identical too. It seemed she had raided his closet, only modifying the shirt to be cropped.

“It’s quite rude to speculate about what happened, you should just ask her” she said as she wore the smug smile Dash had become so familiar with over the years. He closed his eyes as he squeezed the bridge of his nose.

“Did you raid my closet Trixie?” he asked as he looked her up and down disapprovingly.

“Why, yes. I am becoming a part of you more and more every day, it’s only natural to share your style.” She took lightly off from the floor, floating in mid-air, it seemed to be her preferred position to be in.

“I do relish in the love you have for you sister, it’s much stronger than what you feel for the rest of your family.” Her eyes glowed the same vibrant purple as his sister- and father’s, his own were a much duller dusty purple color, though he had noticed they had begun to become greyer still.

“You know…” He said mimicking her voice. “I find this relationship to be more take that give from your side,” he said ominously.

“So?” she laughed “I mean it’s true, but you can’t blame all your problems on me. It’s not my fault you gave all your magic to your sister-“ Trixie stopped mid-sentence, she was knocked out of the air. Dash had swiftly pined her to the ground with one hand.

“So? I don’t need magic to be powerful,” he said as his eyes were open yet saw nothing.

“I see.” Trixie said as she licked her fangs. Dash roughly got up as Trixie rose to her elbows and began floating in that same position.

“Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go comfort my sister.”


© 2021 LauraEmilie


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

40 Views
Added on July 18, 2021
Last Updated on July 18, 2021
Tags: Fantasy, Sun, Moon, Magic, Family drama, Twins, Werewolf


Author

LauraEmilie
LauraEmilie

About
I have a few stories I have had in my head for many years at this point. I am starting to write them down, sometimes not in canonical order. I want them all to be quite long, sometimes I have writing .. more..

Writing