Why Having A Boyfriend Won't Necessarily Make You Happy

Why Having A Boyfriend Won't Necessarily Make You Happy

A Story by Laura Harrison

There’s a quote that reads “never put your happiness in someone else’s pocket,” and I know countless girls who do this- They believe that having a boyfriend will make them happy, so they chase down boys like a wolfhound, and then move onto the next target when things don’t go as planned.

But let me ask you something; if you aren’t happy single, what makes you think that you would be happy in a relationship? Dating someone isn’t going to make you feel any less depressed. Their kisses aren’t going to magically wipe away the sadness that lives inside you. Spending time with yourself is good. You need to have some alone time to figure out who you are and what you want before you find yourself being defined by another person. Besides, when you’re in a relationship, you can’t just be one person all of the time, you have to be two. You’re the girl when you’re by yourself wearing sweat pants and no make-up and watching Doctor Who on Netflix. Then you’re the girl getting dolled up in front of the mirror, set out to impress your latest boyfriend.

Now don’t get me wrong, relationships can be amazing when they are with the right person, but not every guy you meet reading Bukowski in Barnes & Noble is going to be ‘Mr Right.’

Too many people chase happiness, but sometimes the best thing to do is to just live your life and wait for happiness to find you. It can be found in many things, not necessarily in the arms of a boy, but if it truly does, then good for you. But here’s some advice, never expect other people to make you happy, especially if you aren’t happy with yourself.

© 2013 Laura Harrison


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is so true and clear as glass meaning. Loved it. xo Winter

Posted 10 Years Ago


What an amazing truth that pervades the entirety of this piece! It certainly is a bad idea to rely on others to make you happy. Not only is it relinquishing control over emotions and events but it's a terrible burden to place upon another human being to expect them to control both their own sense of peace and your happiness

Posted 10 Years Ago


You are wise beyond your obviously young years my friend. Keep that in mind when love clubs you over the head :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


That was excellent and I agree,although,I look at it on the flipside,with a woman.I think some of my stuff sums up my feelings.I really enjoyed this!

Posted 10 Years Ago


nice writing. very direct and raw (in a good way) it seems you're not a romance believer huh? but anyway, we can draw happiness in many other things in life like a good job, good grades, caring friends, loving families...but but it is a whole new magical king of hapiness that we can explore from that special someone that our heart connects to. They might not be goodlooking or rich, or perfect, hell!, they might even be annoying as hell! but all that doesn"t matter, what matters is the little things they do to make as feel complete! that's just my opinion :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Laura Harrison

10 Years Ago

Yeah I am a romance believe, I just think that we should be happy with ourselves before we go seekin.. read more
sonnie ibadah

10 Years Ago

ur welcome n i do agree, i guess we've got to learn to appreciate ourselves more and let happiness f.. read more
Laura Harrison

10 Years Ago

Exactly :)
A very sage piece of advice from someone with a lot of living yet to do. It applies to both sexes though!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Laura Harrison

10 Years Ago

You're right, but I've noticed that the majority are women, well, around where I live anyway. Thank .. read more
John Alexander McFadyen

10 Years Ago

Maybe the unhappy ones support United or City instead of Sale lol?
Laura Harrison

10 Years Ago

There is that haha :)

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

478 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 27, 2013
Last Updated on November 27, 2013

Author

Laura Harrison
Laura Harrison

Ashton-under-Lyne, Greater Manchester, United Kingdom



About
My name is Laura, I am 25 and I write poetry to understand life. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Coma Coma

A Poem by Stevo The POE-t