A New World

A New World

A Chapter by Lazarus

Jonathan O’Ryan stood in the back of his uncle’s pickup truck going over the list of items they would need for their camping getaway.  They were driving from their home in Austin Texas to Big Bend national park.  It was at least an eight hour trip one way, so Jonathan was tasked with making sure their supplies were all in order. His job was to make the list and check it thrice. They had packed toiletries, food rations, water purification tablets, two tents and sleeping bags, two collapsible fishing poles, one filled tackle box, fire starter, cookware and utensils, mini fire extinguisher, one small shovel, one hatchet, and one machete. His dark eyebrows furrowed as he saw a few strange items toward the bottom. 


“Uncle Bank?” he called, his eyes never wavering from the list.  His uncle was the only current living relative in his life.  They lived together in a modest home in the suburbs thanks to the life insurance his parents had left them. 


"What’s this small spool of rope for?" In the toolbox of the truck, the spool of thin green rope was the size and thickness of a gallon jug of milk.  His uncle’s reply came from inside as he prepped the house for their departure.  


“That’s a one-thousand-foot spool of 550 cord!” he called back, “It’s certified type three and can hold up to five hundred fifty pounds of weight!  Thought it might come in handy!”  


“Where did you get it?” he asked incredulously.


“Military surplus store!  It is amazing what you can find.  I also grabbed a few other things!”  His uncle came out of the front door and ran a hand through his brown hair.  Whereas Jonathan was made of wiry muscle, Bank was built like a middleweight cage fighter.  He ate only vegetables and fruit he grew himself and did everything he could to keep in shape. He hunted every fall and winter to avoid processed meats. In the twenty years that Jonathan had known his uncle, he had never seen him deviate from his life choice.  His uncle smiled, crinkling his light hazel eyes. Bank O'Ryan was pushing seventy but he looked no less than forty.


“I also got a black K-BAR dagger and restocked our revolver ammunition.”  Bank puffed out his chest.


“Uncle Bank,” Jonathan sighed in exasperation, “We are going camping, not to war.”  Bank only smiled larger, showing his teeth.


“Better safe than sorry.  Besides, I didn’t have time to unload it.  We have to get on the road, or we will be late. We don't want to miss our reservation,” Bank closed and locked the house doors as Jonathan shut and locked the toolbox on the back of the truck.  Bank got into the driver's side and cranked the engine while Jonathan sat down and began to inspect their snack stash.  Bank had fresh fruits and veggies while Jonathan had his favorite salty and sweet snacks.  He didn’t share nearly as much enthusiasm for eating healthy like Bank, he loved fried and salty foods too much. As Bank pulled out of the driveway, Jonathan settled into his seat and pulled out his smartphone to play games.


***


Hours later, Jonathan was awoken from a nap by the slamming of the truck door. Startled, he sat up and looked around. They were parked at a gas station and it was pouring rain. Past the gas station lights, it was a dark void. A quick check of the time on his phone told Jonathan it was only four-thirty in the afternoon. The clouds were too thick for the sun to shine through.


"Had to stop for gas. This storm we hit is nasty, but we can push through it," Bank told his nephew with a reassuring smile. He started up the truck and pulled out from under the protection of the roof covering the gas pumps. As they left, rain pelted the metal roof of the truck, making it hard to hear anything else. Jonathan opened his phone's weather app and checked the storm coverage. It was covering a large part of their area but wasn't touching their destination.


"I'm gonna take a detour!" Bank shouted over the noise, "It will take us longer to get to the campsite, but it will take us out of this weather!" He flicked on the headlights and pulled out onto the road.


***


Gregory and Ruby were hiking through the forest in an attempt to track Lain. Ruby's tracking spell was working as usual, but Lain had always been crafty. A loud crash from the sea above told them that Titans were fighting. A strong, cold wind began to blow but their cloaks barely moved. 


"Master, I think it wise that we take shelter," Gregory said, sounding nervous. Ruby chuckled lightly, her voice carrying in the wind.


"Why Gregory, you aren't frightened of a little thunder from the Titans are you?" Ruby asked. As if on cue, an explosion of noise from above vibrated the air and shook the trees, sending droplets of water down on them. Gregory felt his very bones shaking from the force of the sound. 


"Maybe a little," Gregory muttered to himself as he tried to keep from cowering.


***


Hours later, it was still pouring and Bank's detour hadn't helped. The storm just seemed to follow them. Few cars were on the road in such a storm, but a few had caused some close calls in the dangerous driving conditions.


"Uncle Bank, I think we should stop," Jonathan said in a small voice. The sun had long since set and the electricity in the air was playing havoc with their phone GPS. They were lost. 


"I know, I'm looking for a safe place. I can't even see if there is a shoulder to park on," he said. He kept the worry from his voice with effort, "I'm sure we will find somewhere soon." A sudden bright light blinded them, followed by a semi-truck honking. There was a flash and they were suddenly driving through trees. Bank yanked the steering wheel left and right as they dodged them. Finally, he hit the brakes hard and skidded to a sudden halt.  There was pain and then darkness.


***


Ruby was beginning to worry. Sudden flashes of light were appearing almost constantly and droplets from the battle above pelted at them. Strong winds tore at the magic that Ruby had used to protect them from the elements. As they reached the peak of a hill, two mountains were brought into view by another sudden flash of white light. Ruby and Gregory stared with open mouths and wide eyes as a beam shot from the mountain on the left into the sky. It stayed for a few seconds before slowly dying out. Another loud explosion sounded overhead, barely muffled by Ruby’s magic. Ruby continued to stare at the mountain a moment before turning her hooded gaze to Gregory. With a nod, he laid his hand on her shoulder and they disappeared.


***


Jonathan groaned as he woke. Rain was gently pattering on the roof of the truck from the canopy of trees overhead. Thunder could be heard far in the distance as he opened his eyes, the side of his head throbbing. He groaned again as he tenderly touched it. He pulled his hand away for inspection and saw no blood. Jonathan turned to see that his uncle was still unconscious. Bank was slumped over the steering wheel, the left side of his head crusty with dried blood. 


"Uncle Bank?" Jonathan managed hoarsely and reached for his uncle's shoulder. Bank didn't move. Jonathan gently shook him. Bank gave a light groan but didn't awaken. 


"Uncle Bank?" Jonathan said louder and gently patted his uncle's cheek. Bank awoke with a jolt, his eyes flying open. He sat up suddenly alert and then winced as his head throbbed in protest. Hissing in pain, he gently inspected his head wound.


"I guess we had quite a wreck,, huh?" Bank said as he looked around. Tire skid marks and broken branches showed their path through the trees. Dazed and disoriented, the pair opened their doors and stepped out. Jonathan was the first to sober up as he felt a strong wind grip his clothes. He had stepped out of the truck to find himself five feet from the edge of a cliff. The only reason their truck hadn't gone off the edge was because a tree had caught them. The truck had hit the only tree close to the edge of the cliff. Past the edge, Jonathan could see a vast forest stretching past his field of vision. It wasnt the sea of trees that froze him in awe. It was the sea of water high above him in the sky. Creatures of all sizes swam above them. Some as long and thick as skyscrapers and others only a tiny moving speck. They were all colorful, beautiful, and impossible. Some looked like whales, but sleek and with too many fins and the wrong colors. Others looked like catfish with whiskers longer than their bodies and grotesque tongues lolling from their mouths. A large fin the size of a school bus from a massive creature stuck out of the water to hang in the sky. Water flew from it, causing a small shower of droplets to cascade down on the world below.


"Uncle Bank, I don't think we are in Texas anymore." He said in wonder. Bank arrived at his side and gasped. 


"No, it can't be. Where are we?" He wondered aloud. Jonathan slowly approached the edge and looked down. They were hundreds of feet up on the edge of a mountain. Before he could see anything else below, Bank grabbed his nephew and yanked him back.


"Get back here! Do you want to fall to your death?" He snapped. 


"Just curious," he pouted. Bank gave his surroundings another glance before snapping his fingers to get Jonathan's attention. He had been gazing upward at the creatures again in wonder. 


"Ok. We have planned for just such a possibility. What's the first thing we do?" Bank asked in an authoritative voice. Jonathan frowned as he thought and averted his gaze from the sea above.


"I don't really think I can focus on that! Have you seen the sky? Have you seen what's up there?"


"Yes, I know it is hard to believe but we have to stay focused. Now come on, what's the first thing. Don't look at the sky, look at me." Jonathan turned to face his uncle and closed his eyes to block out the impossible world around him.


"In order: check cell service, climb a tree and search for signs of civilization like a road or building, in the worst case scenario build a fire with lots of smoke so others can find us."


"Good. Now let's check our phones," Bank said as he pulled his out of his pocket. Jonathan turned on his screen and saw "No Service" in the top left-hand corner of the screen. Sighing, he put it away.


"Nothing on my end. Uncle Bank, there is a sea full of crazy monsters swimming above our head. I don't think there is gonna be cell service anyway." He paused, trying to get his next words out, "We probably aren't even on earth anymore! Where are we?" Bank was still staring at his screen, perplexed. 


"I'm not showing any time," Bank responded, "No time means no satellite signal. I don't know how else to explain it. You must be right." Bank and Jonathan looked skyward again.


"We aren't on earth." Jonathan repeated quietly.


Bank turned on his heel and headed into the thick trees to climb one. 


"Might as well get started on the next thing on the list," he muttered to himself and began to climb a tall pine. When he reached the top, he heard his nephew's voice from below. 


"Do you see anything?" Bank looked but could see nothing but trees.


"Nothing!" He called back.  He climbed down and gestured to the tire tracks left in the mud, "We can follow these and see where they end."


"I guess," Jonathan agreed reluctantly. They began to walk through the trees, following the deep tracks left by the truck. They finally reached a small clearing with a large charred circle of grass. They stopped and stared in shock. 


"Wow," Jonathan whispered. Bank bent to examine the edge of the circle. It was at least twenty feet in diameter with the grass getting more burnt closer to the center.  At the very center, a six-foot diameter circle of charred earth sat. 


"This makes no sense," Bank agreed as he straightened, "How did we get here?" At a loss for anything else to do, the pair returned to the truck and began collecting wood and kindling for a fire. As they collected, Bank was trying to stay positive. 


"Well, we are prepared for a week-long camping trip. We have tents, some fire starters, and supplies. If we ration and plan things out, we can make it last two weeks. For now, let's get the tents up. The sun is setting." By the time the sun had set, the tents were set up with a small fire crackling merrily in a small pit. They ate a small dinner of canned stew and sat in front of the warm fire. After a moment of silence, Bank spoke up.


"Jonathan, I won't lie to you. This is serious. I don't know where we are or how much protection we will need. So here is how we will do things," Bank directed his gaze from the fire to his nephew's nervous face, "First, you are a city boy born and raised. I am not. I was born in the woods and raised to live off the land by your grandfather. You do what I say when I say it, and how I say it. Clear?" Jonathan nodded, holding his knees to his chest. Bank got up and walked to the passenger side of the truck. When he came back, he was holding the revolver in his hand. He sat back down and laid the gun in his lap.


"We don't know where we are or what dangers face us other than exposure. So we will be taking turns keeping the fire lit and keeping watch. Tomorrow we will be exploring and learning what we can of our surroundings." Jonathan nodded and gave a nervous smile.
"Guess you were right about the gun, huh?" He asked. Bank's expression softened and he chuckled. 


"I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Now you get some rest, I will take my first watch. I will wake you in about five hours or so," Bank made himself comfortable while Jonathan unzipped his tent. By the time he laid down on his sleeping bag, he was sound asleep. 


***


Miles away, Ruby and Gregory were watching the mountain in the dark. All around them, plants were glowing dully with their bioluminescence, allowing enough light for them to see in the dark. The moon above was dimmed by the seaand occasional Titans swimming by. With her magic, she could get them closer to the mountain, but teleporting drained her quickly. 


"Master?" Gregory said, getting her attention. Ruby looked up from her doze against a tree to see Gregory staring at the mountain.


"Someone lit a fire just now." Ruby followed his gaze to see a small ball of light on the side of the mountain not far from where the blinding light had appeared. She grunted softly to herself.


"It would seem that you were right, Gregory. There is indeed someone who caused the light we saw. Good work." Gregory smiled to himself behind his hood. 


"Thank you, Master," he said, "Should we make ourselves known or keep watch?" Ruby was silent for a moment while she thought.


"For now, let's keep watch. Come daybreak, we will move closer. Don't forget, Lain is still wandering about. Stay on guard," she cautioned. 


"Yes, Master. Of course," he remarked, never taking his eyes off the fire on the mountain. 


© 2024 Lazarus


Author's Note

Lazarus
How does the diologue between Jonathan and Bank feel? Does it sound forced, formal, or natural?

Does the world give a sense of awe and wonder? Does it feel like a fantasy world?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

36 Views
Added on April 25, 2024
Last Updated on April 25, 2024
Tags: #magic, #monster, #werewolf, #fantasy, #travel, #adventure, #mystery, #mythology, #camping


Author

Lazarus
Lazarus

TX



About
I am a welder who is a self taught writer. I write as a hobby and still have much to learn. Constructive criticism is welcome and encouraged! more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Lazarus


A Close Encounter A Close Encounter

A Chapter by Lazarus