The Rose of Cavendish

The Rose of Cavendish

A Chapter by Lea Cherry
"

A 3 chapter sample of the story, The Rose of Cavendish.

"

 

“At a time that is not a time, in a place that is not a place, on a day that is not a day...The magical fae come out to play”

-          Unknown

 

 

I must be near the edge of Elgin, the home of the Fae. The tall thick grass was making it hard for me to run from my royal imprisonment. I’ve never escaped to this part of Elgin before; usually I only make it to the end of the palace court yard. I have to move, I can still hear them behind me, moving faster and faster. I wonder if they sounded the alarm, I couldn’t hear it. But then again all I can hear is the beating of my heart. It sounded like it was situated in my ear. I was so deep in my thoughts that I didn’t see what it was I collided with.                  

When I found my bearings I saw it was a male Napaea. He was tall, tanned with dark brown hair; it could have even passed for black, and the most enticing green eyes I’ve ever seen.

 “I’m sorry, I didn’t even see you there!”

I exclaimed trying to get up off the ground.

 He looked at me with eyes boring into my soul, probably thought I was a stupid fae. I mean how can I not notice the handsome, well built male standing right in front of me. Anna-Belle stay on track. I thought when I noticed the silence growing.

“I’m so sorry. I really didn’t see you there.”

 I apologized again while wiping off my a*s. Oh, that’s going to leave a mark.

”You should really watch where you’re going”

Keeping his distance, he just watched me. As I was about to comment about his obscure glances, I heard it.

 “Anna-Belle!!!”

Sebastian’s voice sounded through the thick abyss I came through and he sounded pissed. I took a quick glance at the Napaea before plunging myself into the bushes.

He looked at me questionably.

“What in the name of the Dawn Watcher are you doing?”

I gave him the isn’t-it-obvious look.

“I’m hiding, duh. Now seriously, shut up before they find me.”

I exclaimed trying hard to disguise myself with my surroundings. I sure as hell hope it works because I really don’t want to go back to my prison. When Sebastian’s voice sounded again, the Napaea suddenly ducked down into the bushes right next to me. I looked at him questionly. He shrugged and said

“What? You can hide and I can’t? Besides, he sounds mean.”

I just snickered trying to make as little noise as possible. We sat there awaiting a time when it would be safe to come out of hiding. After a while, when I was sure the coast was clear, I stood up, got out of the bushes, and when to sit on a mushroom close by. Relieved that I lost the guards, for now anyway, I let out a huge sigh. Man, it feels good to be outside the city limits. After a while the Napaea come out of the bushes. I almost forgot about him.

 As he moved towards me he stated.

“That was close. They almost found us. Why were they here anyway?” 

I gave a long sigh and presented the easiest answer.

“They are not looking for US, they are looking for ME! It’s a long story and you will most definitely freak. Thanks for not giving me up, but I have to go.”

 I gave him a big thankful smile and started walking away.

Before I gave one step he caught my arm and spun me around to face him again.

“You can’t go now, it’s almost sunset. There are too many dangers out there for a little nymph like you. I know you don’t want to tell me anything, but can you at least tell me your name” he asked pleadingly.

I must say that he had a point about the dangers, not that I won’t go down swinging, but it’s better to be safe than sorry.

“I’m Anna-Belle.” I looked at him, waiting to be released from his grip.

“So why were they following you?”

I gave a sigh and quickly gave him an edited edition.

“They are the Elder’s Dragonfae Guards. They think of me as their in-house-training, and came after me when I left.” Escaped seemed like a better word.

I laughed at the idea at being Sebastian’s personal gym. I realised I was in own world when the Napaea spoke.

 “You can come to my place if you’d like. But I would like to know why they chased you, otherwise I won’t be able to help.”

I thought about his offer for a while. Pondering all the ways it would most probably go wrong. Then I just thought if it came to it I could easily escape. After all I did escape the guards. Still contemplating if I should tell him the truth, he cleared his throat. Obviously anxious for a response. With a deep breath I gave him an answer.

“I escaped from the palace.”

I dropped my head and heard him pace. Throwing around the idea of why I would be so valuable to the Dragonfae.

“Ok, you escaped. There must be a reason behind this attempt. Either you where in prison, which I don’t really believe, or you’re someone important. So which is it?”

 I looked at him; his green eyes seem to be glowing in the late afternoon sun.

 “What do you mean attempt? I’m here aren’t I? ” I replied, trying hard to avoid the subject of who I am. Hopefully it will work, but by the way this interrogation is going, I highly doubt it.

The Napaea’s pacing was starting to make me dizzy. With every new thought pattern came a new pace. Can’t the guy just freak out and get it over with?

“How many attempts have you had?” he asked finally coming to a standstill. Meeting his eyes I answered “I’m not quite sure, I think 7. It’s not easy with so many guards surrounding you every day.”

 When the words were out I immediately regretted them. That was sure to tip him off of my identity. Not everyone has guards around them all the time. His eyes suddenly grew three times its normal size. He made me think of the fireflies at a festival when they have too much gas in their system with their eyes bulging out and all. Only I think the Napaea received too much information and not gas. That would be gross.

“You are the princess!!! Seriously!!! I’m...I’m...” 

Not knowing what to say he collapsed onto the ground. Lying there as if mesmerized by the beams of light hitting the tree tops. I knew he wasn’t looking at the trees; he was looking for his mind.

“Take a deep breath. Calm yourself down. Once you get control of your momentarily nervous breakdown, I’ll explain everything.”

I helped him off the ground and on to the mushroom. It seemed like forever before he was in control of himself again. He still didn’t say anything but by the look he was giving me I knew I was urged, in silence, to go on.

“Yes, I’m the princess of Elgin; I’m also the Empress in training. I’ve been locked up in the palace for my entire life and was never allowed to go out and play. I never had any friends. The scholars chose the material I was suppose to learn. Nothing was on the world outside the palace. They only taught me the politics behind being the Empress and using magic. I never did anything practical.”

After I told the Napaea my life story, well the short version anyway, I stared at the ground. Ashamed of what my life actually consisted of. The same old boring fact that nothing will ever go my way. If I stayed at the palace, I would learn how to lead Elgin, how to do everything and how to be perfect. Seriously, who wants to be perfect? Nobody is anyway. As the silence grew I noticed the Napaea staring at me. I wiped a dangling tear from my eyes and looked up at him.

“What?” 

“Nothing really, just thinking.”

“About?”

“That must be really bad living like that. Now that that’s out of the way....ARE YOU SERIOUS? You are the Empress in training? Oh man, I’m dead. I’m in so much s**t! I’m aiding and abetting a fugitive, so to speak.” He was walking in circles, throwing his hands up in the air.

 “I’m going to be charged with fae-napping. They are going to lock me up forever. If I plead dim-witted, do you think they will let me go?”

He asked me actually being serious about the whole affair. I had to smile.

“They’ll only catch you if you keep carrying on like a lunatic. Now keep your mouth shut before they hear you. Now are you gonna help me or not?” I asked him while listening if the guards are coming back. Silence. Only our breathing can be heard and the occasional whisper of the trees.

“Fine, I’ll help as much as I can. Just as long as you tell the guards that you forced me into it.”

He laughed, probably at the thought of being male-napped by a princess. It was kind of funny. I was way too busy jumping up and down like a 16th four-season fae that just received her wings, to think of that little ‘napping’ escapade. The Napaea just looked at me, shaking his head.

“You are one strange faery.”

He said smiling at me. I looked at him confused. I’ve never heard that word before.

“What is a faery?”

I asked intrigued not knowing what it meant or where he heard it. I had to know.

“It’s what the humans call us. Didn’t you know that?”

He asked looking at me as if I just asked him if the sky is blue. Now I was really mesmerized. A bit peeved because how can he insinuate a fact like that after he knows that I do not have a life, but mesmerized still. A fae that actually knows about humans. How amazing is that? WOW!!

“You mean humans actually exist? They’re not a myth?” I asked stopping myself before I bombarded him with my star filled sky of questions. He looked at me confused.                  “From what dimension are you from? Of course their real. Duh! Why wouldn’t they be?” Along with the joy I was feeling about humans being real, I wanted to hit him off the mushroom for implying I’m stupid yet again.

“I told you already. In the palace I only learn about politics and not myth and legends. I mean seriously, I don’t even know how many faes or how many tribes are in the kingdom. And you expect me to know humans exist? I would love to learn more about them. Read their books, learn their things. Would you believe me if I told you I don’t even know what love is?”

I stated, sounding a little out of breath with my verbal spillage. I looked at him for a bit of sympathy but was ready to whack him if he gave another implying comment.

“What in the blue skies have they done to you?” he sighed, shaking his head. Taking a deep breath he said

“I think it’s time someone else taught you a thing or two about life outside the palace. I’ll tell you on the way to my place. C’mon!” he said urging me towards west side of the mushroom we were at.

“Wait a flutter! How do I know I can trust you? I don’t even know your name!”

I looked at him suspiciously. He sighed, again. Can’t this guy get a new hobby?

“My name is Landon. Nice to meet you.” He held out his hand and waited for my reaction. I looked at him, then his hand, not sure what to do with it.    

“What? You want me to body slam you to the ground or something?” he laughed, obviously at my lack of knowledge about things.

 “No you silly Sylph, you’re suppose to take my hand and shake it. It’s a human greeting. A way of saying, ‘Hi, how are you’. It’s very popular between the males.”

He laughed at my confusion as I took his hand and shook it. Feeling excited about the new way of greeting, I nearly dragged Landon through the bushes, even if I didn’t know which way I should go, just to get going and start the teachings. I wanted to know more. Wanted to know everything. It would be most exciting if I could meet a human. I think it would be even more fabulous to learn the human ways from a human. I wonder if it’s possible.

“Hello!! Earth to princess! Anyone there? Come on, we have to get back to my place so that the teachings can begin, before it gets dark.”

I was totally thrown out of my day dream when Landon waved his hand in front of my face. He smiled at me when he saw I returned to my body. We moved to the edge of the forest and started our journey towards his place.

 

After a while of silent walking I had to ask him something.

“Landon, what were you doing out in the open before I ran into you?”

 I asked him, walking by his side through the thick sward.

“Don’t really know. Just thinking.”

I gave him a quizzical look and he quickly carried on.

“Nothing in particular. Haven’t you ever just gone out to clear your mind? It’s as if the gentle breeze can wipe any doubt out of your mind and give you a new sense of being. Even if it’s just for a while.”

He exclaimed looking at me as if I should understand what it is he is talking about. In a way I can kind of comprehend the part about the wind giving you new prospective on life. After all I do have a balcony by my room. Unfortunately they had to seal it up with fences because it was my favourite escape route. I think it was after the 4th attempt that they fenced it. Bloody nimrods, I would have sealed it after the 2nd attempt. After that I don’t really have much of a balcony left.

“I know what you mean about the wind. It can give you new perception on things. But that hasn’t happened in a while. In case you don’t remember, they lock me up! Too many escapes!”

 I said looking ahead and walked on. Ignoring the gaze I was getting, I noticed Landon had stopped. After I turned around I found him inspecting me carefully as if trying to make out what is different about me. I gave him a scrutinizing look when he finally spoke up.

“Sorry, I was just wondering something. No offence, but how old are you and where are your wings?” he looked away, shy about the question. He should be ashamed. Doesn’t he know you never ask a female her age? It’s rude, insulting and makes the woman feel insecure about herself. Luckily I’m not that kind.         

“I’ve just passed my 22nd four-season. As for my wings, that’s a sore subject. I haven’t received them obviously. You can say I’m a bit of a late bloomer. And if you mock me in any way about that I will hit you so hard your Napaea scent will detach itself from you.”

It was more of a threat than a statement but he seemed too amused by it to acknowledge the fact. Why are men so daft towards the things that really matter?

“Well that will then be much easier to disguise you from the other fae. Do you have any powers yet and do you know what they might be?”

He asked thinking this all through. I can see the wheels in his head turning. What I would give to have telepathy.

“No I don’t have them yet. The Elders thinks that I might be a healer like the Empress but something tells me that I would have much more than that. At least that’s what I hope.” I exclaimed looking at him. I hope this examination of the being that is me will end soon. Too bad the look on his face gave way to yet another question.

“Ok, that’s understandable being that you are a late bloomer. No offence. Last question. How do you generate the fae dust? I would really love to know.”

I was right about his other question. Luckily this one had nothing to do with me. Thank goodness. I had to think about this for a while being that I only saw it once in one of my teachings.

“When the sun rises each morning and touches the last star, the sunbeams turn to dust and are collected each morning by our Sunstar fae. Now if you are done with the questions I would really like to get going before it’s too late and before the Anthropophagi come this way. I heard it’s on the loose again.”

 I said turning my back on him and start walking back the way we were going. Not that I actually know where I was going. Guess it is one of those going-nowhere-slowly principles. A couple of flutters later and Landon was by my side.

 “Anthropo�"what? What the bell is that?” he asked.

 I can’t quite make out if he was interested or scared. Probably a bit of both. I mean I was when I overheard the Elders discussing it. I remembered them mentioning the Huldafolk and the Dragonfae guards being murdered. That was when the security around me tightened a bell of a lot. I gave Landon the low down of what that thing was. After a long pause he finally spoke.

“You mean to tell me that there is a cannibal thing out there with no head. Its eyes are on its shoulders, his mouth in the middle of his torso and can consume a fae without gagging because of the fact that it doesn’t have a nose to smell. What the bell? If we get caught by the guards can I bunk a cell with you? I’ll even put myself in there.”

 He mentioned giving a little nervous laugh.

After that, we walked in silence but it wasn’t uncomfortable. It was actually nice. We walked in our own spaces, lost in our own thoughts. It seemed like we were walking forever when I started hearing faint voices far in the distance. As it grew louder I started seeing lights but couldn’t make it out since we were still in the forest abyss. Finally Landon stopped, took his hands and pulled open the last bit of grass so that I can walk through. When I saw where we were my breath caught in my chest.          

It was absolutely beautiful. Everyone was so joyous, talking to each other, laughing and making jokes. Some of them even greeted us as they walked by. There were lights everywhere. It looked like the palace courtyard when it was made up for festivals only much bigger with more trees, and vines. I also saw these strange contraptions moving between trees. It looked like a box made up of sticks, stones, leaves and who knows what else. It had windows and doors, with faes climbing in and out of it with every stop. It ran on the vines moving from one place to another. It must be one of their transport systems like the Tinkers use in Neverland. I remember the one I met a long time ago had these funny things. I got a fright when Landon’s voice suddenly boomed right next to me.

“Your Highness, welcome to the valley!”

He looked at me with pride in his eyes. I guess my bewilderment also gave him more confidence as we made our way down the embankment.

 

 

 

 

“Faeries tell us that small things can hold great truths”

-          Brian Fraud

 

 

 

As we moved down the hill into the valley I could make out a lot more. I saw a young male Napaea blowing a flute, one of the happiest songs I’ve heard in a long time, while three females stood next to him dancing to the music. Everyone around them was laughing, clapping their hands and swaying to the music. I was very tempted to join them in the festivities. But there was too much to see. A little down the road was a couple of stalls. As we got closer, I saw it was a sort of market. They were selling things you usually find in a healer’s practise. Crystals, oils, herbs, even hardware to help make a builders life easier. I was about to move on to the next attraction when something caught my eye.     

It was in the corner, secluded from the other stands. It had a purple colour to it. As I drew closer I saw it was books. I do love to read. I started rummaging through them trying to find something interesting. I caught such a fright when the owner’s voice sounded right behind me that I accidentally hit some books off the counter.

“Found something you like my dear?” 

An old woman stood behind me. She had silver-grey hair, eyes where a light green but it was as if they could tell thousands of stories. Her face gave her a sort of an Elder look. I knew just by seeing her, I could learn more.

“Sorry I startled you dear, I thought you heard me coming. My name is Prudence. I’m the storyteller of the valley. How can I help you your Highness?” I looked at her shell shocked. How in bells name does she know I’m the princess? I can’t be that noticeable, can I?

“I’m sorry, but how do you know who I am? Please don’t say anything; I don’t want to go back to the palace.” I stared at her pleadingly.

“Don’t worry Anna-Belle, I won’t tell on you if that’s what you’re worried about. I know a lot more about you than you think. It’s sort of my job to know everything in this world. Being the storyteller and all. So what can I do for you on this gracious eve?”

She gave me a warm felt smile. So I decided it won’t hurt to talk to her. Maybe I could learn some things. It wasn’t until I took a deep breath that I realised I was holding it.

 Goodness gracious Anna-Belle, get a grip. She’s an old lady, not the Empress. I told myself. Mentally smiling at the stupidity of my paranoia.

“I’m actually just looking at your collection of books. I like to read and thought there might be something interesting. But to tell the truth, I’m looking for something that can give me more information on humans.”

I told her straight what I’m looking for instead of beating around the bush. I’ve done that already today. Literally. Looking around, just to see if anyone heard our little discussion, I saw Landon walking towards me. Looked like he was stressing. Oh, s**t. I forgot to tell him I was going to the stall. Oops, my bad. Just then, Prudence started speaking.

“Humans are a difficult species to pin down. Luckily for you I’ve met one so I know enough. What would you like to know?”

I looked at her shocked. I thought Landon was the only one who knew about them and here in front of me is an old lady who says she’s actually met one. This eve is getting better and better. I don’t know what I really wanted to know about humans. There is so much but where to start?

“I can only think of a few questions to ask. How did you meet one? Where are they? Can I meet one?” I asked the questions so fast I wondered if she even heard me. I should really stop babbling so much. The faes might start to suspect something. Nothing Royal but mental.

 “Dear one, what I’m about to tell you might shock you and you might also think I’m a Lune. I became a human. I received word about a legend that contains a rose. That rose can grant any wish as long as it is pure of heart. I did my research and went after it. It was a though journey, not one that I would recommend doing alone. But beware young one, for what your heart truly desires will in fact affect the outcome of the wish.”

Prudence gave me a book after her warning and disappeared into the darkness of her stall. I wanted to know more about this legend and everything but I couldn’t find the words. I stood there mesmerized with the book in my hand when Landon caught up with me.

“There you are! I’ve been looking everywhere for you. Hellloooo.....Anna-Belle!!!”

I could hear him calling my name but I couldn’t make myself register. I kept staring into the darkness. It wasn’t until Landon grabbed my shoulders and shook me that I came out of the trance. Even though I was out of the trance I still couldn’t speak. My mind was wondering on by itself.

How did she know who I was? Where did she go now? How is it possible to become human? Why did she ever change back to a fae? Why did she give me this book? Why does she look so familiar? Too many questions, I’m starting to feel dizzy from pondering all this information. I was just about to faint when arms grabbed me around my waist and I could feel a hand lightly touching my face. Far in the distance I could hear a voice calling my name. As I opened my eyes, I was staring in those enticing green eyes I saw earlier today.

 “Are you ok? Here let me help you up. Take it easy, take a deep breath. Lean on me for support until you regain your balance.”

I looked up to see Landon holding me with sincere concern in his eyes. As soon as my head stopped spinning I was out of his arms.

“I’m fine. Just a little dizzy that’s all. Don’t worry about me. C’mon, let’s go. Lots to do and so little time.”

I said trying to avoid the subject of what just happened there. To tell the truth I don’t even know myself what happened. I was so dazed by the information, and to top it off I felt a sort of warm feeling inside me. Like water boiling only not a liquid feel.

We were moving on the pathway towards a transport-thingy. Hope we’re not actually going to use it. Along the way I notice a few things that were different than at the city. For one, there where social corners for young Napaeas, younger than me of course. I could see the fae laughing and joking, having a great time. How I envied them. Why is it that everyone can have fun except me? Then again not everyone’s like me. Jeesh that just sounded so vain. Another thing I saw was a bunch of old males sitting at a bench exchanging exaggerated stories. You can see one is trying to be more infamous than the other. It put a smile on my face knowing that there are other faes trying hard to fit in. If they knew what I knew they would rather accept themselves as they are and not try to be with the ‘in’ crowd. Being ‘in’ can be very lonely.

“Anna-Belle, are you ok? You look 5 dimensions away. We are almost at my place.”

Landon spoke up as we got into the box-thing on vines. I looked at him as he helped me in. “I’m fine. Don’t worry about it. Just a little puzzled that’s all. For some reason I can’t get that storyteller out of my head. She looked so familiar as if we’ve met before, almost like in a dream.”

I sat next to him on the bench in the box thinking of where Prudence and I have met. I can’t recall. She’s never been to the city, I would have heard about that. I’ve never been out of it till now. I couldn’t have dreamt of her for I haven’t had a dream since I was a little pea. Landon interrupted my thought pattern again.

“You’re going to pop a vein thinking so hard. Then they will lock me up for murder and not fae-knapping. Seriously, try to relax and have some fun. Look down there, that’s the centre of the valley. You see the lanterns? Everyone is getting ready for the Lady Grian. She is bringing spring to the valley. The festival is tomorrow.”

I looked down to where he was pointing. It looked so happy. So I started to relax. I mean what’s the worst that could happen? Suddenly, I felt a jerk. I started hyperventilating, sweat forming on my forehead. My hands tightened, one on the bench the other one on something soft. I woke up when a loud yell come from next to me. It was only then when I realized what that something soft was. Oops. While in my trance I kind of squished Landon’s leg.                 

This one was different than the ones I’m used to.

“Ok, seriously now. What in bluebells is wrong with you? Ever since we left the storyteller’s stall you have been acting very weird.”

Landon asked me trying to remove my tight fisted hand from his leg. I just looked at him, apologetically.

 “I don’t know. I don’t know what is happening. I had this strange vision/dream-thing. I haven’t had one of those in about 10 moon cycles. I’m sorry about your leg.”

 Just as he was about to speak the transport thingy stopped at the top of a tree. The doors opened and everyone started moving outside. Landon grabbed my arm and pulled me towards the doors.

“C’mon, let’s get off this tram before is goes down again. Then we’ll never get to my place.” TRAM, so that’s what the thingy is called. I was wondering that the whole time. I grabbed my book tighter as we moved through all the fae going the opposite way.

Everything seemed like a rush when we reached Landon’s place. He looked around, opened the door then shoved me in.

“If I didn’t know better I’d say you were trying to hide me from something or someone.”

I teased him with a hint of mischief in my smile. He looked at me pretending not to know what I was talking about.

“Hiding you? For what possible reason would I have for that?”

Paranoia settling into the air. I could tell he wasn’t telling me the truth because his voice did this strange high pitch thing. I laughed out loud.

“Really Landon?”

I couldn’t help but laugh some more. Teasing him was fun when he acted like a fugitive. I moved across the room and made myself comfortable on his bed replaying the scene I saw earlier in my head. What is happening to me?     

Landon moved towards the bed then. As he plunged himself next to me, he took a deep breath, probably to calm his nerves and asked a question I’ve been asking myself the whole time.

“So what is up with you? Tell me about the dream/vision thing.”

He lay there on his back staring at me awaiting my answer. I don’t even know how to make sense of it for myself and he wants me to decode it for him.

“I’m just throwing it out there like I saw it. I don’t know what it means but it’s very strange. When I looked at where it was you pointed, I saw the festival but suddenly the scene changed. I saw the tram fall to the ground. No one saw it coming; no one could do anything about it. It fell on so many Napaea. It was in the middle of the festival. I don’t know what to do.”

I told Landon the story, breathing deeply trying hard not to go into hysteria. As he sat up, he took my hand, looked into my eyes and with kindness in his voice started comforting me.

“It’s ok. It’s ok. No need to worry it was just a dream. Nothing’s going to happen.”

 Suddenly there was a knock on the door. The sound made Landon almost do a back flip off the bed. He moved towards the door and opening it just slightly afraid of the fae behind it. Shock showed on his face when he saw who it was.

“Landon, baby, where have you been? You were supposed to meet me at twilight. I’ve been waiting for you for who knows how long.”

An annoying female voice sounded through the door. Landon quickly pushed through the door and closed it behind him. Probably wants to talk to her alone. I really didn’t care.           

I took the book I got from Prudence and started examining it. It was smaller than usual, pocket size actually. The cover was leather, soft and smooth. The pages were like something out of an ancient manuscript. It shows age. Wonder how old it actually is. As soon as I started reading it, I realized it wasn’t a book like I was use to; it was more of a journal.  Handwritten notes with drawings on almost every second page. Intrigued I started reading it. Spells from different places and for various things held my attention, especially the invisibility spell. Where was this when I needed it?

 

Bright light, Dark Night, Cloak me in light as dark as Night.

 

If this spell was in my possession earlier, I would have escaped who knows how long ago. Just as I started reading again the door opened and the yelling started.

“Who the bell is this? Landon, you stood me up for another fae?”

The female yelled waving her hand at me like I was a mere commoner and not worthy of being in her space.

“Keira, please. Just listen to me for a change. She is a friend. Her name is Anna-Belle and she has nowhere else to go. Calm yourself down.”

Landon pleaded with her to keep her mouth shut before everyone starts getting snoopy and then figure out what is going on here.

“I don’t care! I don’t know her, and frankly I don’t trust her. For all I know she could be a two bit tramp, trying to make her move on my guy.”

Keira said again this time with her toffee-nosed attitude, and I was getting really pissed.

 “Listen here. I don’t know who you are or what you’re doing here, but I don’t appreciate the fact that you call me a tramp or any other thing. For your information Landon offered to help me. He is a nice guy and you should really turn your attitude down a couple of shrieks.”

I looked at her standing less than an arm’s length from her. I am so ready for a fight. I saw shock crossed Keira’s face. Guess she’s not use to someone standing up for themselves. We were glaring at each other when Landon manoeuvred himself between us.     

“Keira, Anna-Belle, please. Calm down, both of you. Jeesh. You two are absolutely terrible.” He looked at both of us. I must say we are being a bit terrible. But then again she deserved it.

“I’m sorry. You’re right. We can’t afford carrying on like a bunch of doodles.”

I made the first move to apologize being the better fae and all. Ok seriously I should stop being so rude even if it’s in my own mind. Keira looked at me then at Landon.

“Ok, fine. I’ll stop. But I still don’t like her.”

There she goes again with her toffee-nosed attitude. I mean how can she not like me, she doesn’t even know me. She moved past us towards the bed. Still holding her pose, she suddenly tripped on who knows what and landed face down of the floor next to the bed. I know I said in a vague way that I was going to be nice but I couldn’t help myself. I started laughing so hard and consistent that I had to sit down on the floor. Or actually lie down. I saw through the laughing tears how Landon bent over and helped Keira up.

 As soon as she stood, she smacked Landon’s hand so that he would let go and moved towards the door. Totally pissed she glared at me while walking past. She should really look where she’s going instead of at me because not a flutter after that, she walked into the door panel. That just got me started all over again. She turned rose red, adjusted her attitude and stomped off. I was still laughing so hard when Landon went and closed the door. I started relaxing a bit, or tried to at least when Landon plunged himself onto the bed with a huge sigh. I suppose I should go over to him and try to be neighbourly.

 I wonder if I can talk to him without laughing. Ok, take a deep breath and relax. That might help. As I walked over to the bed, Landon lifted his head and started speaking as if he knew what I wanted to say.

“It’s not your fault. She brings out the hoppers in everyone. I bet if she had 5 flutters with the Empress herself, she would whack her into another season. You actually handled it well. She’s not use to someone speaking up.” 

He still laid there only his mouth and eyes moved. I dropped down next to him; looking up at the roof I knew I had to say something.

“So what’s the deal with you and her? I sense a lot of conflict and misdirected affection. You don’t like her very much do you?”

I don’t know why I said it but as soon as I did, it felt like the truth. The silence was growing, no one said a word. Either Landon was sleeping or very deep in thought. As I was about to say something he sighed and spoke.

“I don’t know what to say. She’s a pain in the a*s. Always has been and always will be. She has this delusional mindset that we are suppose to be together forever. I was suppose to go out with a couple of friends and she overheard, twisted the words, and made it sound like we had a date. I would have told her off many moons ago, but she’s always there when I need to talk. I don’t want to talk about her anymore. ”

He sighed again. I could see he was troubled. There is a remedy I know on how to take your mind off things, but I wonder if he’ll be up to it. Suddenly I jumped up, full of enthusiasm, stood in front of Landon. He just gave me a weird look.

“I don’t care what you’re thinking of me now, I know I’m a bit of a Lune, but you have to get up, shake your misery off and take me out. You promised me you’ll show me this valley of yours.”

I ordered him as I pulled on his arms. He finally budged and stood up. Gave me yet another ‘you’re crazy’ look and moved towards the door. Without a word he opened it, motioned for me to follow him and closed the door behind us.

On the outside I could feel the buzz all around. It’s intense. The energy, excitement, joy all packed in one event. I hope I’ll get to see a lot before the festival. There are so many places to go and see and so little time. I stood there for a while, lost in the beauty and bliss of it all, when I saw Landon already moving along the side. I quickly ran up to him, being my sort of normal bubbling self.            “So...Where are we going?”

I asked him skipping to his stride and looking at everything and everyone. I was so caught up in my own little world that I didn’t even realize that Landon stopped. I turned around and walked to where he was standing. It was a big wooden door with glass windows stained in the middle. Next to the door on each side were lanterns lighting the way. Above the door was a small sign that read ‘Periwinkles.’ Vines were around everything. The door, the windows, the sign. It gave the place a certain vibe. Almost a magical atmosphere surrounded with joy. I was still staring into space when Landon interrupted my thought pattern.

“C’mon. This is where everyone hangs out. This is where we are going to start your teachings.”

With that and a smile he opened the door and motioned for me to enter. I could hear laughter coming from everywhere. Music playing with the softest melody. As I stepped inside, I saw tables crowded by faes. It seemed as if everyone was talking simultaneously. Glasses were held, cheers and refilled. The lights were dimmed with a touch of the sunset. It looked like everyone who was there knew each other in some manner. Landon came up to me just then.    

“Come, I see an empty table at the back we can sit there and talk.”

He took my arm and moved through the crowd. We were moving at such a pace I could have sworn he didn’t want to be noticed, and the table he chose, confirmed my suspicion. The table was so far into the corner that no one noticed it. It could have passed for an abandoned haunted house ornament with all the spider webs in the corners.

 “So, nice place. Come here often?”

I tried to sound as normal as I could but I think my voice gave me away. It should have. It sounded so fake in my own head. Landon looked at me getting ready for a big speech or so it looked like with the face he was making.

“As often as I can. Listen, I’m sorry for the way I’ve been acting. It’s just that Keira can make you feel guilty and pissed at the same time. She’s good at manipulating emotions.”

He looked at me with a sad little puppy dog face. How can someone be mad at that? 

“Hey, no problem. So is there a reason we’re sitting so far into the back? Or do you just like the spiders?”

The question that has been bugging me since we stepped into this place. More in the literal sense though.  And to tell the truth I wasn’t even joking about the spiders. They are huge. Landon gave way to an enormous sigh and started his explanation.

“In a way there is a reason why I chose this specific table and why we motored through the pub here. I wanted to get a few things straight before everyone started asking questions of who you are and why you’re here, etc.”    

I just looked at Landon. Can males really be so obtuse? I’ve already got that part down. Duh! He worries about a couple of faes in a pub, whatever that means, but just a fly ago when we were walking through the main valley, he didn’t bother trying to hide me.

“Don’t be absurd. I know exactly what is going on. First of all, if someone asks, I’m a Dryad just passing through. Secondly, why are you so secretive about me being here in this place but not out there?”

I said pointing to the outside of this pub-place-thing. I swear, males can be so transparent sometimes it’s actually silly. He looked at me, obviously figuring out that I know there is more to it, gave a huge sigh; if he didn’t have bones he would have deflated; and started explaining everything.

“You know what, you’re right! I haven’t been exactly honest with you. You see, there is this complication with Keira. When she was born, I was only a couple of twinkles old, our parents promised us to each other. They were great friends their entire lives and they thought it was the perfect idea. In one way we will all then be a family.”

“I didn’t know what it meant then but as I grew older I started understanding the implications this will have on my life. Keira found out about this a few moons ago and since then she hasn’t left me alone. She even started hanging around with the wrong crowd, the trouble makers so to say. She changed, from being a best friend to a wanna-be stalker girlfriend. And of course to make matters worse, some faes found out about it and they can’t leave me alone. They keep trying to make my life hell. I mean I love Kiera, but as a sister and a friend. ”

 He looked at me his eyes begging for understanding. Shame, I wonder how bad that really must have been, forced to be with someone and not being able to have your own say about it. With the slightest touch on his arm, I looked in his eyes.

“You don’t really like Keira do you? I mean, not in the ‘betrothed’ way. But you feel you can do more and be more if you had your freedom. In a way I totally understand that.” 

He looked at me with compassion and thanks in his eyes when a couple of his friends came up to us. I assume they were his friends, because they knew him and apparently well. There were three of them. The one on the left was short, brown hair, brown eyes, and sort of stubby looking like a mole-rat. Thank goodness his not a naked one. His nose was sort of up towards the sky almost as if someone ran with his face into a door one too many times. I had to laugh at that thought. The one on the right was the total opposite. Except for the hair. He was tall, very thin, like a twig, and most definitely not attractive. The third one, the one in the middle was different. He had the same hair style as Landon; his eyes were a deep dark pool of brown. He was bigger than Landon and by the looks of it more arrogant as well. They walked over with such confidence that I had this strange sensation they were not going to make small talk.

“Hey Landon, what are you doing back here? Hiding from your beloved?”

The short stubby one asked laughing.

“Yeah, man. I saw her leaving your place in such a huff, I could have sworn she saw you naked.”

The tall one stated. I wonder what their problem with Landon is. Just then the middle one also threw his piece of useless info into this triangle of doofus.

“Come on guys. It’s not his fault no other girl likes him.”

These guys are really getting on my last nerve. How dare they insult Landon like that? He is such a nice guy, he doesn’t deserve this. I cleared my throat getting ready to give them a piece of my mind when the middle one noticed me.

“Why, hello there. I’m Chris and you must be the most beautiful fae I’ve ever seen in all my life. How about the two of us go ditch this pub and I can show you the fantasy of well...me?”

 Ok, seriously. Who does this prick think he is? Hitting on me like that. Gross. As quickly as he grabbed my hand and kissed it, I withdrew it from his.

 “Hi Chris, I’m Anna-Belle and I am so not interested.”

 Giving guys false hope and being a total b***h all in the same breath was kind of a talent of mine. What fun to put bozos in their place. Start out all nice, with big eyes and looking kind of shy and then get straight to the point. I looked up at the three guys staring at me in shock.

“How can you say that? Chris is the most eligible bachelor in the entire valley.”

The short stubby one tried to smooth out Chris’s ego. Apparently I bruised it. Shame, poor thing. Making sure my hands lingered seductively all over my body, especially the hips, I walked over to Chris. When I was in front of him, I took my index finger and gently traced the muscles of his stomach and continued all the way south and all the way up to his chin. I looked at him from under my lashes with a cute cocky smile trying to make myself irresistible. 

“So you’re the most eligible bachelor in the entire valley? Do you know what I think about that?”

Biting my lower lip and getting so up close and personal that I could have sworn he could taste the words as I spoke. I could see Chris was forming a lump in his throat that he couldn’t swallow while sweat was forming at his temples. His two friends behind him were hyperventilating. I on the other hand was enjoying every moment of it. Especially since I knew what was coming next. He looked at me, eyes big and expectant.

“No, I don’t know. Please inform me what you think.”

Poor guy can’t keep his act together when ‘the most beautiful fae’ like he said, is flirting with him. I moved even closer to him, making sure that our bodies could feel each other’s heat but not touching. I tilted my head up slightly as I lifting myself on my toes so that I could whisper against his lips.

“I think that this is the closest you’ll ever get to someone like me. So why don’t you take your double wide ego and the mouth to match to someone who actually gives a s**t.”

I turned my back and walked towards Landon. I took one more glance at Chris over my shoulder before planting myself on Landon’s lap. I manoeuvred myself on Landon’s lap, reversed so that our faces where breathes away. I held him around the neck and gave him a big passionate kiss. By the looks of it he enjoyed it a bit more that necessary because at first he was frozen solid as if he didn’t know what to do, the next moment he put his arms around my waist and the kiss deepened. We were so in our own worlds that when we broke apart to catch our breath, the bozo and his two nimrods were gone. Damn; and I couldn’t even say goodbye. Not that I care. When I was sure the coast was clear, I climbed off Landon and moved to my own seat, smiling all the way. Mission accomplished.

Landon and I sat there in the pub in silence for a while. I was studying the faes around us and Landon for some odd reason was studying me. It looked as if he couldn’t make sense of the events that has just taken place. I let out a huge sigh, looked him in the eyes and gave him the scoop.            

“Don’t stare at me like that. And don’t ask questions. I don’t want to spoil the mood I’m in right now.”

I looked at him, his face still gave way to shock, but there was something else there. It was difficult to pin point. He shrugged and turned his attention away, but I could still see him stealing glimpses my way. Not a flutter later Landon spoke for the first time since Chris and his pose showed up.

“So...You want something to drink?” he didn’t even wait for an answer. He stood up, walked around the corner and a few flutters later he was back with two glasses.

“Here. This will help with the mood. Have you decided how long you’re going to stay?” That thought hasn’t crossed my mind.

I mean I can’t stay with Landon forever. But I can’t go home either. They say home is where the heart is, and my heart is definitely not in the palace. Someone else has it but I don’t know who yet. I realized that I had wondered off because Landon was still sitting there, patiently awaiting an answer.

“To tell the truth I don’t know yet. But I am not going back. Ok, change of subject. You promised to teach me about humans.”

I put on the best puppy dog face I could. We sat there for the next couple of flights going through everything. How they speak, what words they use, for example a flight for us is an hour for them. They have cars that transports them, apparently it is a metal box thing with wheels and it moves by magic. Odd, but I’ll take the bait. They wear different clothes than we do, they don’t have any wings or magic. They can sometimes be very rude, aggressive, paranoid, and irritable and they don’t believe in the supernatural.

Apparently many years ago, humans and faes use to live in harmony. But because they started to fear the magic we possess, they tried to hurt us with iron and the faes retreated and disappeared. Some say that the eyes of the innocence can still see us. They have loads of books, they listen to music on a disc thing inside a box where the sounds come from and they watch shows on a piece of clothing about 10 times their size or on a box. In my opinion, they sound very square. According to rumours, don’t know from where, there are some humans who believe in faes and possess magic and can still see into the other dimensions. This information is actually a lot to absorb in one eve. And I don’t think that the liquid we were drinking was helping a lot. In fact I feel kind of tipsy. Lightheaded. Drunk in the head. I looked at Landon; I think he was the one in the middle.

“Landon, I feel dizzy. What’s going on?”

I didn’t even know if the sound of my voice travelled to him. It sounded so soft. He laughed “Of course you feel dizzy. You’re drunk. Did you really think you can drink so much rum and not feel the consequence? Come on I’ll take you home.”

He said grabbing me around my waist still laughing. Apparently it is a huge joke to him that I can barely stand on my own two feet.

We finally got out of the pub. When the fresh air caught my breath, I didn’t feel so well. Looks like Landon was thinking what I was thinking. He moved into the bushes behind the pub and sat me down on a rock.

“Ok Anna-Belle. Breathe deeply. In through your nose and out through your mouth. If you feel sick, aim at the bushes. Trust me you will feel better.”

In a way I highly doubt that. Man I feel sick. Why did I drink so much? Everything feels so weird. It feels as if I don’t have any control over my mouth or my body. I’m not use to not being in control of myself. Even though I’m as sick as a maggot I kind of feel relaxed. As if there are no worries. Just as I thought that I was starting to feel ok, it came out. It was so fast I couldn’t even stop it. I just leaned over and started puking up my guts. Oh my word, why isn’t it stopping.

 How much can fit into a stomach? I was waiting for the second wave of vomit to hit me when a hand touched my back. I dared to take a glance and there he was. As sweet as ever. Landon stood there gave me a bottle water and a towel. Thank goodness. I so did not want to smell like puke all night. I wiped my mouth off with the towel and took a drink of water. The first two gulps were to clean my mouth and throat out. Gargling and spitting are not one of my famous moments but I can at least blame it on the booze. Another word I learned today. Booze. It sounds so cool.

Suddenly I just started laughing at that one word. Booze. It was hilarious to me.   How come I’ve never heard about that before? Booze. I felt hands tucked under my arms. I looked up and saw Landon again being the best guy in the world. He was helping me up to my feet.

“Come on princess. Let’s get you back to my place. You have had way too much.”

I looked at him, leaning on him and hanging my head to the side.

 “How do you know who I am? Oh wait, I told you. You should keep very quiet about that.”

I started laughing again when I told him to keep quiet. I seriously can’t talk. My words are jumbled up mess off drunkenness. Does that even make sense? I don’t know, I can’t think straight. We got to Landon’s place. In a way he opened the door, carried me inside, closed the door and put me on the bed. It was too fast for me to see how he did that. Maybe I’m just a bit slow.

“You should lie down and sleep and I’ll sleep on the couch.”

Landon said walking to the closet and grabbed out a blanket. I don’t want to sleep alone. I stood up from the bed, the goddess alone knows how I did that, and I moved towards where all three Landons were standing. I put my arms around his waist.

“No, you’re not sleeping on the cosh. I mean crouch. Coach. Oh that thing.”

I said pointing to the long elongated sofa. He turned around to see what I was talking about. His smile was so sweet. He gazed into my eyes. Oh wait, my eyes were gazed. But he did look at me. His hands touched mine, they were so warm. I was moving. He was guiding me towards the bed.     Gently made me sit, come down to eye level, and spoke in a soft tone.

“Anna-Belle, you know what I feel for you. I felt it when we kissed. But you don’t feel the same way, and I am not taking advantage of a drunken fae. Even though I really, really want to be with you.”

I stared at him. I knew I was suppose to have heard that speech of his, and it looked so heartfelt but I didn’t hear a word. I knew he was waiting for an answer from me. All I can think of was one response.

“I don’t care.”

I didn’t really know what was going on but I grabbed the front of Landon’s shirt and pulled him towards me. I started kissing him and he kissed me back with such passion I nearly fell over. Before I knew it, we were lying in the bed. I took off his shirt, and pushed him on his back. We were suddenly in an intense embrace. Everything was so amazing. His touch on my back. His mouth on the hollow of my neck. Everything was happening so fast, the euphoria was taking over then everything suddenly went black.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I woke up the next morning with one majorly huge headache. What happened? I remembered going to the pub and having a couple of drinks. Actually more than a couple. And I also remember those nimrods at the pub, Chris and his goons. Since the time when we left the pub it is all very blurry and vague to me. As I turned around to lie on my back, I felt a hand around my waist. I lifted the covers and saw the hand and arm of a man holding my naked body.

Why am I naked? Whose arm is this? Do I even want to know? Oh man, I hope I didn’t do what it looks like. Softly, without trying to wake who ever up, I shifted my body to my back just to see who I was lying next to. At first I closed my eyes, afraid of what I would find. Then again, how am I supposed to know who I slept with if my eyes are closed? Toughen up you little pea.

 It’s not that bad. Slowly I opened my eyes. It took me a while to focus with my head hurting so insufferably. Once I saw him, I couldn’t believe it.

His dark brown hair, the defined facial features, the enticing green eyes I met only yesterday afternoon, looking at me. Great, now I can’t even pretend to be asleep. Me and my stupid curiosity. The worst part is, I don’t even know what happened or how to approach this. This is getting more complicated than it should be.

Do I say something? Don’t I say anything? Should I smile or not? Pretend that nothing happened and move on or talk to him about it? Why does life have to be complicated? I suddenly had this urge to go to the bathroom. Quickly I got up, took the linen with me and without a sound marched into the bathroom. Once there I had time to figure things out. I stood at the basin and splashed water on my face. Feeling the cold refreshing smooth surface of the universal cleanser.

It felt good. Especially since I have this colossal headache that makes my head feel on fire and the nausea which hasn’t passed yet. I sat on the edge of the bath trying to recollect my thoughts.

I felt that I was sore and saw a couple of bruises but on my a*s, which I remembered from falling the previous night, and a few on my arm and legs. Especially on my shins. I was still examining myself when a knock on the door interrupted my assessment of my body.

“Anna-Belle? Are you ok?”

Landon’s voice came from the other side of the door.

“You can come in if you want.”

I heard my voice sounded weak and raspy. As Landon came in I slid down from the edge of the bath to the floor. I had no energy what so ever. I looked at him and he had serious concern on his face. The emotion even touched his eyes. He moved forward and sat next to me on the floor. I saw that he still had his pants on and he slept in them because it was skew and wrinkled. Without looking at me he started speaking.

“What’s wrong princess? I can see something is bothering you.” 

He looked me deep in the eyes and I knew I could tell him anything. I felt safe and comfortable with him. I took a deep breath, just to ready myself for whatever reaction he was going to give me.

“Landon, what happened last night? I remember we were at the pub. You told me things about humans. That Chris guy was there and being a total a*s. We started drinking and when we got outside everything was blurry and vague.”

I looked at him eyes pleading for the truth but I knew deep down I didn’t really want to know it especially if we slept together. It is going to have major inconveniences for both of us. For a strange moment I thought I saw a fraction of a smile cross Landon’s mouth just at the corner and then disappeared. He then looked at me, took his arm and put it around my shoulder pulling me closer. He held me in his arms as if to comfort me and I knew the answer to what it was that I wanted to know.          

“Don’t worry Anna-Belle. Nothing happened. All you actually need to know is that you are one huge klutz when you are drunk. You were falling everywhere and bumping into everything.”

Okay, seriously. I was so not expecting that. I was waiting for ‘It’s all my fault, I should have known better, you were drunk, I understand if you hate me...blah blah blah.’ I was even getting ready to see if I was expecting in a few twilights. Imagine how the elders would react to that fact.

I’ll be in s**t for the next 3000 moons. Not to mention what they would do to Landon.

 I can’t allow them to hurt him. He is actually such a nice guy. I wish him the best and that he will find his other half. They say that when you find your other half you receive your wings. At least that’s what the legends say. And come to think about it, it is only a legend for the Sylphs. Then again the only fae tribes I know of are the Sylphs and the Nymphs. I totally suck. I was still lying in Landon’s arms when he spoke up again.

“C’mon, princess. Time to get ready and show you the rest of the valley. And I promise to keep you in check this time. No more rum for you. I don’t need another strip show from royalty.”

He said giving a bit of a laugh. I could feel the heat rushing to my face. Too bad there wasn’t really a place where I could stick my head to hide my embarrassment. I am never drinking so much again. Landon stood in front of me holding out his hand. Without even thinking I grabbed it and he helped me up off the cold bathroom floor. I don’t really know what happened next, but as I got up the linen around me got under my foot. I ended up tripping myself and taking Landon down with me.

 He was laying there on his back breathing deeply. I think he got the wind knocked out of him. I was on the other hand on top of him, naked. Again. When he finally got his breath back, he just looked at me.          

“You know, we should really stop ending up like this.”

He smiled and if my judgement was correct it was a cocky smile. I didn’t know where to stick my head. I felt my cheeks betray my calm exterior. I hurried off him, sitting on my a*s with my back towards him as I scrambled to get the linen back around me. Just then I felt a cold hand on my lower back.

“What’s this mark?” Landon said surprising me with his voice directly beside my ear. I turned around, my naked indecency instantly forgotten.

“What mark? What are you talking about?”

I got up off the floor and hurried over to the nearest mirror. What the hell could be on my back? Landon looked at me flabbergasted as if I should know every mark on my body. As I turned my back towards the mirror I saw the strangest thing. There just the hollow of my back was a birthmark. But it didn’t look like any ordinary mark. It was darker almost like a tattoo. I stared at it a while, trying to make sense of it all.

 Just there was a blessing symbol. It looked like a crescent moon lying on its back, almost like it’s a cup. Just below it was 3 drops. Looked like teardrops. One at the bottom on each end of the crescent moon and the last one at the bottom directly in the middle. It looked actually nice but at the same time it looked very familiar. As if I have seen it before. I was still wrecking my brain for an answer when Landon’s voice pulled me out of the trance.

“It looks really nice. It looks perfect where it is as if it was made just for you.”

Those last words seem to linger in the air.

Just for you.

Just for me.

It kind of does look like that. I was still staring at it when the thought occurred to me of where I’ve seen this mark before. I quickly ran out of the bathroom, nearly knocking Landon over again, went over to the bed and started looking for the book Prudence gave me. I was rummaging through the left over linen, the pillows, the clothes but I couldn’t find it anywhere. I walked to the living area when I bumped my foot on something really hard. I was most definitely yelling a couple of words, swearing like a pig, when Landon came out the bathroom and picked up the thing that caused this throbbing pain in my foot.

He held it out to me without saying a word. It was the book; he found it, sort of. I immediately took the book from him. I could see he was holding in laughter but I was in too much pain to care or to yell at him to stop his s**t or I will beat him to a pulp.

 I sat on the corner of the bed still rubbing my foot. As soon as the pain subsided, I made myself comfortable and opened the book. I went through the book page for page. I knew I saw it in here somewhere. I was scanning the pages so fast, I could have missed it.

In the corner of one of the pages, the words THE CHOSEN ONE stood out like a bad hair day. There just below the heading was the symbol exactly like the one on my back. I don’t know what this means but I sure as bell cannot be a chosen one. I studied the page what seemed like forever trying to make sense of it all. Finally I decided to read the paragraph that came with the picture.

 

Once every 5 000 moons, a fae is born with the power to change the world. She has been chosen by the Goddess herself to re-enchant the worlds that have been in chaotic disorder since the faes moved freely between the human realm and our own.  It is said that she will have to travel the distance and dimensions to find what is lost, save what can’t be saved and free the imprisoned heart of the soul they wish to keep hidden. Once the winged heart is whole, the world will be as one once more.

 

I read and re-read the paragraph I don’t even know how many times. I wish I could make sense of it all. How am I supposed to change the world? I don’t even know what is in it. And what is this thing about the winged heart? What the bell is that? Is it literally, figuratively, what? I couldn’t take it anymore. I let out a huge sigh, dropped the book and put my head in my hands. Forgetting all about the fact that I wasn’t alone, Landon bent over and picked up the book.

“What’s wrong?”

He was next to me in an instant putting his hand on my shoulder to comfort me.  

“It is not me. It can’t be.”

Even though I couldn’t see his face, or more accurately didn’t want to see his face, I knew he was staring at me for what seemed like a very long time. I guess he got tired of looking at me because his hand disappeared off my shoulder and moved towards what I guess was the book by the sound of it.

The silence penetrated the air like the sun penetrates the sky after a long dark moonless night.

I couldn’t take it anymore. I finally lifted my head and saw that Landon was also finding the part very difficult to grasp. Great, now how am I supposed to figure this out? After what felt like forever, the silence was finally broken.

“Looks like you are in a lot of s**t. Way over your head. What are you going to do?”

Landon asked looking as dumbfounded as me. Why did I leave the palace? I miss the scholars. They had an answer for everything. Not that they would actually tell me. I bet they knew about this all along. How dare they not tell me? It is after all my life. Is it not? I looked at Landon with eyes pleading for an answer.

“I really don’t know? How am I supposed to change the world if I am a late blooming, powerless fae?”

I suddenly felt exhausted. I couldn’t help it but fall flat on my back on the bed with my arms crossed over my face as if I could hide from the world and reality.          

Why did this have to happen to me? I should never have opened that book then I wouldn’t have known I was supposed to be the chosen one. Technically I shouldn’t even have taken the book from Prudence. That was when it hit me. Prudence. This was her journal so to say. She would be able to make sense of it all. She has to. Without warning I jumped up and started babbling so loud and fast Landon didn’t even stand a chance of understanding me. All I actually saw was him catching such an enormous fright that he made a back flip off the bed. I would have laughed if I wasn’t in such a hurry.     

He looked at me questionably. I took a deep breath to slow myself down.

“I know of someone that might be able to help me and I am not talking about royal staff. Remember when you found me yesterday in the stalls? Well that was when I was given this book. The woman knew who I was before I introduced myself. This was her journal. She wrote it so she will be able to help us.”

With a smile on his sweet face he moved towards me and grabbed my face in both hands.

 “Sounds like a plan. But first you must breath. You’re turning blue around the mouth. Let’s give it some time and figure this out before we bombard Prudence with too many questions. Think this through while I go and get ready.”

He kissed me of the forehead and moved towards the bathroom closing the door. He was such a sweet guy. I was standing there, in the nude watching the door that he just closed. I pulled myself from the trance and put my clothes on as fast as I could. It was a nice halter neck green dress that was very form fitting up until the hip bones where it flared out and only went half way down my upper leg. I refitted it so that it is perfect and went to look for my boots I wore with this dress.  I knew I should wait for Landon to finish and come out but I needed answers and I needed them now. As fast as I could I moved towards the door, opened it quietly and slipped out.

The sun was only rising but the Napaeas were hard at work already. I started walking towards the trams that Landon and I took just yesterday. Marvelling in the wonder of the valley. It looked different and yet the same somehow. It was difficult to describe the difference. It could have had something to do with the light. Yesterday there were only the lanterns that gave it the happy cheerful atmosphere and now with the sun’s rays creeping through the tree branches it gave a sense of serenity even though there were so many faes outside. It was still calm. I got to the tram and there was a total of three faes going down. The one driving the tram, another male and myself. I climbed on as if I have done this many times before not making eye contact with either of them. I went to go sit at least 3 rows behind the male and stared out the window.

“Hi. Are you new here? I haven’t seen you before.”

I was so lost in thought of my birthmark that I didn’t even realise the male turned around in his seat and was talking to me. I gave him a kind smile.

 “Yeah I am, but I’m just passing through. Visiting a friend and hopefully by the end of the day on my way to the next journey.”

He stood up and came to sit on the seat in front of me.

 “Well that’s nice. You should reconsider your stay. At least for just another day. Tonight is the festival and you would really like it. Everyone is going to be there in the zone when Lady Grian brings with her the spring.”

I looked at him. He looked well aged as if he had seen the Lady bring 100 springs to the valley and yet he still get excited about it. It must be one heck of a feast. Maybe I should stay a while longer. But I am most definitely not drinking again.

“I’ll consider it. Maybe I will stay for the festival. One more day wouldn’t hurt.”

At least I hope not. The moments seem to fly by. David and I, that was what the male told me to call him got so deep in conversation about the festival I didn’t even realise that we came to a stop at the bottom of the valley. David and I said our goodbyes and went our separate ways. I was surprisingly cheery. I was smiling at every fae that walked by and everyone responded. Some greeted me with a ‘Merry Meet’ and others past by whistling a cheery song.

Before I knew it I was humming the song to myself. I walked up towards the stalls inspecting every room, stone and tree. This sure was a magical place. I felt safe here. I reached the stalls within a few flutters. Luckily I still remembered where they were. Most of them were still closed with faes unpacking boxes with their supplies in them. I walked around towards the back where Prudence had her stand. I hope she was there and that it wasn’t too early. Low and behold there was her stand, ready for customers.

I walked in but no one was there. The purple covering was brighter today and more radiant. It felt as if untold secrets were waiting to be told just by looking at it. I was mystified by the strange yet familiar setting of it all. As I looked around I saw the same mark on the wall as that of my birthmark and I suddenly knew that this is where I would be able to get my answers. I had to talk to Prudence, but where is she? It was like my mental babbling called to her and she appeared from behind the curtain.

 “Anna-Belle? What a pleasant surprise. How may I be of assistance to you today?”

The kindness of her voice caught me off guard for a moment as I forgot what it was that I wanted to say. Although the silence was growing she didn’t say a word or even gave the expression that she was getting irritated by my sudden lapse of verbal communication. All I could do was think that I know her somehow, and I knew for a fact that she knows me but I couldn’t place it. The only thing that I could do at that moment was to take in her appearance. Her hair was a silver white that came with age. Her face showed that she has been around for many moons just like David. She wore a long flowing summers dress that complimented her figure and was ironically enough the same colour as her stall. The necklace she wore was the same as mine. It was the sign of the Triple Goddess. Maid, Mother and Crone.

The three phases of the moon. Waxing, Full and Waning moon. Inside all three phases were gemstones. The waxing moon, also serves as the Maiden, a clear quartz crystal was visible, which served the purpose of healing, psychism, power, success, speaking with the deceased and spiritual attainment. The full moon which represents the Mother had an Azurite stone. It is also known as a stone of heaven and helps with the pursuit of the heavenly self and providing the guidance.

The last one was the waning moon which represents the Crone, and it had a Red Jasper on it. It is said to protect against negativity and helps one to be grounded on earth. It seemed strange to me that she would have the exact same necklace than me. The gems are so rare that the scholars told me I was the only one who had it. Come to think of it, they don’t even know where I got it. I had it on me when I was dropped at the door of the palace as a pod. My eyes met hers to confront her but the things I saw, made me stop. Her eyes were the same grey green and blue as mine.

It was almost like turquoise with grey. Also a very rare combination of colours for eyes. I also saw hope in her eyes, along with a bell lot of wisdom which was confirmed by the hair. There was something else in her eyes that made me feel bad for her. Attached to the hope and wisdom, there was sadness and longing.

“Ah, hi.”

I said and it was all I could manage at that moment. She gave me a kind smile and walked towards me.

“I think I know why you are here. Maybe we should go to the back and we can talk in private.”

This was going to be more challenging than I thought. I followed her behind the curtain to the back.

It was nothing like I expected. There was a small round table with two chairs. On the table were candles and a crystal ball. Next to the table there was a small cabinet with a stove that had a kettle pot on it already ready for a cup of tea. She gestured for me to take a seat and went to get two cups of tea. As she came back, she gave me one cup and took a seat on the other chair.

“Drink this. It will help and then I’ll tell you anything you want to know.”

She took a sip of her tea and I did the same. Still not knowing how to start. The tea immediately calmed me down and the cloudiness of my head went away. I took another sip and started to think of a way to start the confrontation but Prudence beat me to it.

 “Anna-Belle. I know why you are here. I knew you would come one way or another. I’ve seen it. It’s about your birthmark. Am I right?”

 She looked me dead in the eyes. Well she doesn’t beat around the bush. Without making eye contact I tried to answer her question as truthfully as possible.

 “Yes it is, but it’s also about more than that. What does this mark mean? I don’t understand. How can I be the chosen one?”

I had to stop myself there before I bombarded her with all my questions. Especially the ‘I’ve seen it’ thing. She looked at me with a smile on her face and kindness in her eyes.

“Let’s rather start at the very beginning. The day you were born. And then we can work our way to your answer. It will explain a lot to you.”

I immediately sat back making myself comfortable as I watched how Prudence lit the candles on the table. It was giving the back room a very nice story-telling glow. She sat down in front of me and as she leaned forward, started telling the story.

 

“It was a day like all the rest except that the night you were born, there was a full moon lunar eclipse. One of the most powerful days of the lunar cycle. Your mother was ecstatic because your arrival meant the world to her. You were a quick learner with everything. She loved you with all her heart and her life. It was on a day like today, the night was supposed to be the waning moon, that you demonstrated your powers. You were hardly a season old. Your mother at first was so scared that she didn’t know what to do. You see, the power you demonstrated for her the first time wasn’t flying, or healing, it was telekinesis. You started moving the things around her place. The more you played with your power, the more open she got to the idea that you are special.”                    

“One night, with the waxing moon just after your first moon, your mother made you bath. She sat there with you while you played with the water. And when I say played, you manipulated the water to do your bidding. By then she was use to the idea that you were different. She started washing you and that was when she realized you had a birthmark on your lower back. She only noticed it then because it was never there before. It started puzzling her but she pushed the thought out of her mind. It wasn’t long after that there was a knock at the door. She didn’t know who it might be as there was a huge storm on the way and no one would dare go out in such horrendous weather. When she opened it up, four huge males walked in followed by a very petite young female. All of them had capes on.”

She paused a while, taking a sip of her tea. I took this time to breathe again not knowing what this all meant or where she was going with this.

“Once they were inside,” she continued “they closed the door and the windows and the males stood there towering over everything in the room. The woman stepped forward and demanded to see you. Your mother put up a fight but she couldn’t hold them all off. You see they came after you. They somehow knew what the mark meant and that you possessed the mark and the powers. Two men, held her tightly while the woman went to your room. She picked you up, closed you in a blanket and started walking out. Your mother kicked and screamed and finally got loosed. When she attacked the woman her cape fell off. Your mother was so shocked as to see that the woman who was taking you away was someone she knew in a high ranking position, but she never said who. The woman told your mother that you are the chosen one.”                     

 “The one meant to change the world and save it before it’s destroyed. She vowed to teach you everything you needed to know but she never did mention anything about what she was talking of. Since you were taken, your mother spent her whole life trying to find the answers that haunted her. Along the way she picked up on many useful things that she noted in her journal. Hoping that you will find your way home so that it could be given to you.”

She looked at me waiting so that everything sank in. I took a couple of sips of my tea and I saw that Prudence did the same. As I exhaled I asked the only thing that came to mind.

“So you know who my mother is? Why did the woman take me away? Tell me what it was that she found out. Did she know about humans? Where is she? Can you please tell me?”

Ok, so it wasn’t just one thing. I was busy having verbal diarrhoea. Again Prudence just smiled.

“My dear, you should really learn to relax a bit otherwise you’re going to burn yourself out before becoming Empress. There is so much that you want to know, but I’ll tell you the things that are relevant now.”

She looked at me before continuing on her story telling escapade.

 

“One thing that you must understand Anna-Belle, is that your mother still loves you very much and only wants the best for you. She knew you were the Chosen One.”

“Being the chosen one is a gift and a curse. You should know that great power has great danger. Keep that in mind when you venture out into the unknown. The answers you seek about what it is she found are all in her journal you possess now. As for the humans, there is a lot to learn. Your friend probably told you most of it already, but there are things not many know.”

 “If you ever do meet a human, it is only because they are the ones that are allowed to know about our realm. It is said that many four-seasons ago or years as they call it, the fae and the humans lived together in harmony. Just every now and then a mischief maker would play pranks on them but it never was anything serious. We knew each other existed but most of us kept to ourselves and only occasionally would meet.”

“There were times that some of the nymphs, especially water nymphs would cause the death of a human, but those are the ones that were out to hurt them. Anyway, the time came when man discovered iron. It had many uses to them. Too many to even start naming them but you could easily tell it apart from all the other metals. The most dangerous use came when man was tired and angry at the fae that was helping them out, cleaning up after them, looking after the household and occasionally playing pranks. You see it was only the household fae, like the brownies that got attached to living with humans. That was the problem.”

“A man of the human clang got so angry with one of his brownies that he picked up a piece of iron and threw it at him not knowing what would happen. Little did he know that iron was the only thing that can kill a fae. Soon after that, everyone started chasing away and hurting the fae and drove them to the woods away from civilization. We really haven’t had proper contact since then.”

“The human world has gotten more civilized but the Empress still has the fear that if they knew we existed, the massacre would start all over again. That is why we all came together and used our strength to move the kingdom to another dimension away from humans.”

She looked at me just then. Something tells me that that was the end of her stories and that I would have to figure the rest out for myself. I pondered the things she told me. How come I had powers as a pod but not now? I guess that is one of the things I would have to find out on my own. There was still one thing I needed to know though.

“Prudence, there is just one thing that I still want to know. What is it that I am suppose to do?” I could feel my eyes pleading with her to tell me. I don’t know why but it felt like I needed to know. Prudence looked at me with a bit of sadness in her eyes. I knew there was something she wasn’t telling me.

“I can’t tell you my dear. You will have to discover it by yourself. As for your mother, I’m not permitted to tell you yet. I wish I could, but it is going to confuse you and interfere with your destiny. When you have fulfilled it, I’ll be waiting and then I will tell you. For now, that’s all you need to know. I think you should go now while everything is still fresh in your mind so that you can go ahead with your destiny. I will see you soon my child. Blessed be and may the Goddess shine her radiant light on you.”

She showed me out of her stall and then disappeared again. I could have sworn that her voice started to break near the end when she said she will see me again. Actually it was more to the ‘my child’ part.

I walked away from her stall very slowly trying to put everything into perspective. I think that the things she told me would help if I actually understood it all. She did say that all the answers I need is in my mother’s journal. I wanted to know more but I didn’t want to go back to Landon’s place. Not yet anyway. I was drifting around like a zombie when I decided that I was going to enjoy this day and make the best out of it. Going to push everything Prudence said to me out of my mind and continue to scope out the valley. I mean I only have a little time left before the festival tonight. I walked around the valley on the deck looking at every angle I could possibly manage.

 It was so beautiful. The sun coming in from the tree tops illuminating everything on the ground. The branches making funny shapes and pictures as the sun penetrates the branches with the blossoms and leaves. It looked almost as if the trees and sun were courting each other and celebrating the coming of spring. Made me feel like I was imposing in their sacred ritual but I couldn’t bring myself to look away.  The light and the contrast it has against the early morning air and the fresh dewdrops on the spring soil was like a whisper of a lover against your ear. I suddenly got goose bumps. The whole way I just perceived the sunlight touching the ground like a lover touches your skin was a thrilling idea. So romantic. I could feel my face growing hot.

 I was immediately embarrassed. How could I get so hot with a comparison of spring and love? After all isn’t spring the season of love? My face grew hot again. I wish my reactions would really stop betraying me like that. I decided to leave the whole romance bit alone until I was ready for it. I started looking around and moved away from the deck and into the centre of the valley where the festival would be held. It was amazing standing there. The tall trees surrounding you making a perfect circle. Ropes hanging from one side to another. Lights and candles everywhere. Flowers where on the stage and everywhere on the floor. The atmosphere in the middle of the valley was just overflowing with joy and happiness. I wonder why I never came to any festival or even had our own in the city. I wanted those answers but the festive cheer swept those thoughts away.

I was still walking around bewildered by it all when an unexpected fae showed up in my path. Keira. What the bell does this love sick fae want now. I am so not in the mood for her. Not while I was in such a great frame of mind. She looks pissed, she stared at me. Actually it was more of a death glare. She came up to me, looking me up and down the whole time, I was getting annoyed with her.

“Keira, what do you want?”

She stopped in her pace around me I had to turn around. She unfolded her arms and placed them on her hips.

“You know exactly what I wanted and now you have gone and taken it from me. How dare you steal Landon away from me?”

Has this fae lost her marbles or something? I never stole anything away from her. Besides Landon isn’t even hers. It amazes me that someone can get so caught up in their own alternate reality that they believe it to be real. Talk about your psychotic jealousy.

“Keira, I never stole anything from you. Landon is a friend. We had a couple of drinks last night and that was about it. Get over yourself.”

I turned to walk away when the goons from the pub showed up. Don’t these faes have anything better to do with their time?

“Hey sexy, that is not what we saw last night. You two were so up in each others breathing space, I swear you would have grabbed each other right there in the back room.”

Chris’s egoistic voice was really starting to piss me off.

All I wanted was to spend my last day in a happy cheerful mood, but that is so not possible anymore.

“Look Chris, I do not have time to boost your ego or to have a not so nice little chat about you and the two stooges being total jackass b*****s to my friend. Now if you three don’t mind...Piss off!”

They were really working on my last wing span. Again with the psychotic jealousy. When Chris and the other two saw that I was not going to back off they turned around and left. Good, maybe they will find some other faes to aggravate. I took a deep breath so that I can face Keira and give her a piece of my mind but the look on her face made me stop. There was sadness in her eyes.

“Keira look, there is nothing going on between me and Landon. I came to him for help and he has helped a bell of a load so now that I am done doing what I had to do, I’m heading on to another horizon tomorrow.”

She looked at me and the sadness in her eyes changed to hate or something similar. I just knew she was going to lash out again. Looks like that is all she can do when she feels threatened. “Good, then I’ll have my man to myself. Enjoy everything and don’t hurry back”

A smirk appeared on her face.

 I had to have a lot of restraint not to knock the cockiness out of her. She was really working on my last reserve. Just as I was about to tell her off I heard someone calling my name. It was Landon.

“Anna-Belle, look out!”

I looked behind me and there he was too far to actually yell to him. That was when I saw a shadow on me and Keira. I looked up and saw that the tram above us had snapped and was almost on top of us. There was only one thing I could think of to do. I looked at Keira who had the exact same shock on her face that I have on mine. Seems like she was frozen in place. I extended my arms and pushed her out of the way. She travelled through the air and landed far enough so that the tram wouldn’t squash her like a fly. I looked up and the tram was coming down too fast for me to move out of the way. I heard a voice behind me screaming.

“Nooo!”

I put my hands above me as if to protect my face. Natural instinct cause I knew that I was not going to help once the tram connected with my head. I felt a gust of wind, people gasping and everything went black.

 



© 2014 Lea Cherry


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
Added on January 13, 2014
Last Updated on January 13, 2014
Tags: Fairies, Fae, Magic, friends, love, quest, adventure, elves, dwarfs


Author

Lea Cherry
Lea Cherry

Johannesburg, South Africa



About
Born and raised in sunny South Africa, I live and breathe fantasy. I am a mother and a wife and am trying to make a name as a writer. more..

Writing