Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Leah
"

Not much to describe here, haha. It's...the prologue! No way! :)

"

 

        A young woman, her auburn curls flying about her regal face, fought her way through a violent storm. The hem of her navy shift whipped about in the angry winds, and her shoulders hunched forward against the fury of this mighty tempest. In her left hand, she held fast to the small palm of a child, her son, a boy with dark hair and solemn brown eyes, no more than four years old. A girl of nine clutched her right hand, uncanny sage-green eyes scintillating despite the low light. No one else was visible, though if one had been, he might have wondered where such an odd trio was headed, tonight of all nights. For who would voluntarily venture out into this vengence that was God's ire? Who indeed.
        "Miranda!" The urgent whisper came from behind them. The woman clearly knew the voice, and was neither expecting it nor desiring it. Her shoulders knotted and she spun around, her dark cloak whirling, eyes flashing, to face the man that stood before her.
        Leaving the children behind her, she hurried to meet him. "Why are you here?" she hissed. "I told you not to come." Miranda's eyes darted around, wary of danger. She threw a glance over her shoulder to reassure herself that the children were safe.
        He shook his head impatiently. "There's no one here. And I had to speak with you. What is he?" The man, his face hidden by the shadow of his hood, nodded to the little boy.
        "Neither," the young woman replied curtly, though she leaned into him, betraying her emotions. "I've checked. Nothing. The girl, though..."
        "I know. I'll deal with her later. But for now...you will do as I asked?"
        The wind seemed to steal her breath for an instant. Miranda's shoulders sagged before adding, "Of course. Always- you know that. But for now, I must go. V-" she cut off as she looked at the boy and girl. "That is, the other one doesn't change that. Goodbye," she breathed as he disappeared into the darkness, as quickly as he had come.
        "Where are we going?" The girl, Melanie, asked softly as she took the woman's hands again. "What did he want?"
        You, Miranda wanted to say, but instead merely answered the first question. "Ahead," her gentle voice informed the children. "To the lighthouse at the point." Miranda's gaze stretched down the long path to the tall structure that loomed ahead. The ocean's angry waves hurtled themselves at the rocky base and threatened to cut off the low dip in the grassy peninsula that connected the ivory tower to the rest of the world.
        "It's quite large," the child said in reply, referring to the mansion that loomed beneath the lighted tower. Her huge eyes looked up at Miranda. Eerie eyes. Cat eyes. Spirit eyes. "Won't we drown if we go there?"  The girl had always had the unfortunate ability of asking the most probing questions. Yet she didn't seem worried in the slightest- on the contrary, she looked rather delighted at the chance of adventure.
        Miranda smiled slightly. "No, we shall be fine. The tide comes in at night and flood the path, but it's only late afternoon. We've plenty of time."
        "Yes, but won't we drown?" The girl asked again, meeting Miranda's deep brown eyes.
        The question made the young woman shiver as the cold finger of dread wound its way down her back. "Yes," she whispered, inaudible over the crying winds. "Yes, we will drown." At that moment, a wrathful arch of water leapt over the rocks, inviting them with open arms to the depths of the briny sea.

 

 



© 2009 Leah


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

It's a very good prologue! I immediately had the feeling that I was pulled into the story!
Also, I like your style very much.

Keep up the good work ^^

Posted 15 Years Ago


Your imagry is very good. You give enough of a 'hook' to draw the reader in and make them want to read more!
Lyn

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

205 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 10, 2009
Last Updated on January 12, 2009


Author

Leah
Leah

Writing
Eden Eden

A Book by Leah


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Leah