Know Who You Are

Know Who You Are

A Poem by Legacy
"

Is this a possibility... in Knowing Who We Are, do you think we should take the time to understand others, before investing in our own?

"

Understanding who we are?

As a young child I was faced with many circumstances which stretched ‘who I was’ at an age when baseball, snowballs and candy should have consumed me.

 

How are we to assist, teach or even lend a hand to another or for that matter given the right when we truly do not understand who we are?

Do we lend an ear?  Or just keep Talking?

Understanding Who We Are, could this expose us for who we truly are?

 

The future moves into the past…

 

 

Know Who You Are


Facing our Fears – Is all, but a mirror image

One we refuse to see - one we refuse to acknowledge?

 

I claim no acceptance in fostering appreciation

Encompassing emotions, other than my own

Elapsed time, this I can-not proclaim.

 

Guilty I am… Immersing ‘my being’ in the past

The lifting of boundaries (through Love and Understanding)

Offered in abundance… “This eludes me.”

 

Where have we lost such pluralisms in life?

Why do we wish to ex-change the reflections of who we are?

 

Without values we have no foundation

Our future should not, and must not, be transmogrified

(Because of our past)

 

Eyes of first impressions lost in judgment

Casting of shadows, tossing blame

Why must we quench our thirst from the well of hatred?

Who are we to judge without knowledge, or out of fear?

  

Thoughts become nothing more than reflections
History will - recall voices within our diverse past
 
When we really speak the words ‘Thank You’ ‘I Love You’ ‘I ‘Appreciate You’ ‘I am Truly Sorry’ are they really filled with the meanings they deserve?

A message conveyed or perhaps ‘lesson to be learned’

 

Looking back – moving forward

Beyond Cognition, reflections now dissolved

 Image of another becomes clear

I must vanish to…

Know Who {You} Are…

  

© 2007 Legacy

© 2008 Legacy


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow, it leaves me thinking of a lot of questions I have to ask myself. And you're right, why are we still so teribly prejudice, always angry and upset over the silliest little things. And I totally agree with Demyra there that sometimes we say things like I love you without even thinking it. I know I do it all the time, mostly to friends and family but I say it so that, should anything ( Goddess Forbid) happen to either of us, they know that they were loved.

Posted 16 Years Ago


15 of 15 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Interesting. We seem to have a similar mindsets in that I feel your desire to know and improve yourself while encumbered in a world filled with toxic and prejudicial attitudes. I share much of your philosophy and struggle with similar challenges, and yet I do have an enduring faith that assures me of The Truth. That said, I still have moments of weakness and doubt--all of these things I feel in your poetry. Nice to meet you, kindred spirit.

Michael

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

I found I had to read this poem over a couple of times to fully understand it, but once I did, I really liked it, both what you are saying and the imagery you use.

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

took me a few reads to fully grasp this but its a great write all in all!

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

Kinda hard to get my head fully around it first time, It's good all the same.
The human race has an obsession with self analysis I think, bar none. This not generally a bad thing, it in turn forces us to look at ourseleves find out mroe about ourselves and at the end we stand on firmer ground, a little more adapted to ourseleves.

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

This is a good piece, forcing the reader to think about many questions on the way to identify ourselvesand others. If we can go beyond listening and looking others and ıf we can really hear and see them, we can understand who they are and also who also who we are. Empathy can be the key for a better understanding.
fureya

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

This piece is an absolute. Not an absolute something but an absolute all on its own (I hope I am not talking riddles). Throughout you raise questions, answer it, then raise it again. The first to knowing who you are has always been acceptance, and you show that here, acceptance of yourself, your journey, you past and of your/others foiballs (sp). We all of so much to learn, never will we know "it all" ..... and personally I am forever thankful for this fact. A masterpiece honey, truely a masterpiece. Mx

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

Lesson be learned "do as I say and not as I do". I abhor hypocrites and therefore do my best not become one in daily living, as this is a defining characteristic of every person. One should not vanish if there is something to be found - therefore if all meaning should be defined by personal knowledge it is the poor man who does not find himself able to reach beyond himself to acquire that knowledge, and a tyrant to not share it.

~J

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

hi legacy ... "look for your future in your past" ... appears to be the theme of "Know Who You Are" and you have captured the essence of this in your beautiful poem ... can children who spend their formative years in orphanages or homes/shelters/places of safety and later with foster parent/s ever live complete and full lives? is knowing where you "come from" enough to allow this to happen? can coming face to face with your biological parents give you "closure?"

Jp.

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

OK I've got to be honest here, I'm not feeling it. I experience it as mental emotion, what is desired to be felt but not really experienced. Its as though you have the right idea of the emotion but are not truly in touch with it. The writing itself is good, interesting, but as a way of expressing the 'feelings' I find it difficult to connect to, as though the issues are confusing. Perhaps that is what the 'feeling' energy is about? The need to understand intellectually, the issues of incongruent communication. Bringing your real emotions into the writing would perhaps make it more accessible. Keep on going.

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

What an excellent depiction of looking beyond ourselves and out, over the horizon, to see how another life moves through this life. Peace to you my friend!

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

8260 Views
428 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 19 Libraries
Added on February 7, 2008
Last Updated on March 11, 2008

Author

Legacy
Legacy

About
Information to come more..

Writing
Dark Secrets Dark Secrets

A Poem by Legacy



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..