Teaching a Princess

Teaching a Princess

A Story by LeighAndJeff
"

Who wins in a fight between a Crown Princess and Veteran knight? lets find out.

"

Teaching A Princess

Leigh Hodgens and Jeff Maragavage


Sir Donavallus of Chesterbrook. Member of the Royal Order Of The Dark Protectorate. That was who he was that was, who he chose to be.


A knight of high calibre and even higher morals, Sworn fealty to the king. To guard and protect those who could not protect themselves but he had been given a duty.

To guard the princess of the kingdom of High thorn. To travel with her and deliver her to the neighbouring kingdom of Janavor, to visit her betrothed. Prince Raynor Desmond Tellevan crown prince of Janavor.


It was a visit to allow the Princess to get to know her new subjects and find comfort and happiness in a new kingdom. The marriage was to serve as the seal of the alliance between the kingdoms of High thorn and Janavor. But not all were happy at the union of these kingdoms and so the knight was to protect the Princess, with any means necessary to ensure the alliance of the two kingdoms. It was an important duty one he could not fail but no one told the knight the trouble would not be in the travelling to the rather distant kingdom of Janavor but in the princess herself.


The girl had been raised with the best intentions but sadly. The princess was not the kind soul they had hoped to raise. She was rash, ill tempered and acted more entitled than the king and queen combined. Earning her the unfortunate nickname of the brat princess or to give her her full title.


The Crown Princess Jezzamine, Latvian Til Alexandros. The brat child of Highthorn, it was not a flattering name but it was a rather true reflection on the kind of women the princess had grown into. Though she was only on her 19th year of life, the princess only had one more year of teaching. Then she would be queen of a land that didn’t know of her rash temper or of disrespectful attitude to those that served her.


It was hoped that this journey taken with only her knight protector, Sir Donavallus would soften, the rather rough and coarse Princess's attitude as to not give the Kingdom of Janavor a brat of a queen. They could only hope and  here is when the two of these souls journey started. The princess riding a gentle and valiant mare of white.


Her knight protector in  fully armoured gear with a strong and brave stallion of pure black. They were being sent off by the Lord Chancellor and the princesses maidens.


“Please take care on the long road your Highness. Sir Donavallus there have been reports of thieves on these roads. It would be wise to remain unknown until you have past the border of our great country.“ The Lord Chancellor suggested, shaking hands with the knight as the princesses maidens helped her Highness on to her horse. Before the knight could thank the Chancellor, the Princess’s unimpressed voice cut through their goodbye. “Surely the whole point of him being here is to protect me from such worries chancellor. I wish to get on with this, traveling to Janavor in such a way is barbaric! I wish to reach my destination before I perish of boredom.”


The princess huffed snapping the reins of her horse and cantering off the path ahead. The knight left to bid a quick farewell and clambering onto his stallion to catch up with the rather headstrong princess.


It only took a knight of Sir Donavallus’s caliber mere moments to catch up with the Princess. It surprised him to see a princess so Independent as to ride off without her protection and to leave the only kingdom, the only place she had known, with not even a glance back or a tearful goodbye.


“Princess you must try to be careful. The world outside your castle walls is not as safe as you are accustom to. Rushing ahead would not be wise.” The knight advised softly,  grasping the reins of the princess’s mare to slow the beast down to a slow walk.


“Tch if I wanted your opinion knight I would have asked for it. I do not require you to talk!” She snapped spitefully at the knight. Tugging the reins out of his shocked grasp. The usually cool headed knight roughly grabbed back the reins and immediately halted the horse. The abrupt stop nearly dismounting the mouthy lass. “Milady, with all due respect, my services were conscripted by the King himself, it is your opinion that is irrelevant on such matters. I have been entrusted with your safety by any means necessary as you well know. I suggest you take such information with all regard that thou dost not overstep my good humor, am I clear?” Donavallus instructed the princess. “You fiend! You are in my father’s employ and there for mine you shall watch your tongue sir. I am the Crown Princess I demand the respect of any who serve the crown.” The Princess heatedly stated staring back at the knight. Her grip returning to the reins. “Unhand my horse now!” She demanded. Her scowl crossing what was a pretty face now twisting it to something rather childish and spiteful. “I answer ONLY to the king… Milady,” Donavallus replied through gritted teeth. This was going to be a long trip…


Donavallus suddenly noted the dress the princess had chosen. “Milady, if I may note, that is a particularly lovely gown. A precious garment to be sure.”

“Hmpf ...well  you're a brute with a eye for beauty i shall give you that.” the princess faintly blushed a sort of smug radiance surrounding her features a smile replacing the twisted scowl. “Dost thou think it wise to wear such elegant fineries to be riding in, milady” the knight intoned with concern, “such a shame should anything stain such a beautiful garment.” The princess was puzzled, “What ever would stain a dress when riding ?” her tone genuinely confused by such an occurrence. “Why… Mud, milady?” Donavallus replied with concern. “Mud? However might I get mud on my…” The princess began but was cut short as Donavallus gently shoved her from her horse into a rather murky puddle nearly the width of the road. “Riding through bandit infested woodlands… In a regal gown such as that? We wouldn't make it a day. Good thing the king furnished both you and I with clothing more suitable for pilgrim travelers. Yours will be of the finest materials, yet not easily recognizable as such.” Donavallus hitched both their horses to a nearby tree and began unpacking the clothing. “Your father also warned that you might argue the point and… Get upset.”


The princess was in stunned silence. the mud coating her once beautifully adorned dress. Unlucky for the knight the silence did not last long. “YOU!..You callous unfeeling brute! I'll have you executed! How DARE you do this to me! Take me back at once! I refuse to travel with you!” the mud covered princess had stormed up to the knight her finger poking at steel armor, her voice screeching at him, the pitch irritating by itself. “I’ll see you hanged for this!” she threatened before rather unsuccessfully beating at his armoured chest the irrate princess clearly enraged. “Yeah yeah… He figured you'd spout all that crap, too. I will NOT be so much as reprimanded, milady,” Donavallus snarked in return. “Just so we’re clear… the order was his, mine contribution was to wait until we were well enough into the forest as for you to not be able to find your way back.” the princess was still trying her hardest to dent the armour her rather inadequate fists only succeeding to tire her out  that she  simple paced and stamped invisible steam coming from her form. “You lie Father would never order such a thing!” the screeching quality of her voice had returned with a vengeance.


Donavallus reached into his belt pouch and produced a scroll bearing the King’s official seal. Showing it to the Princess, she noted it was unmistakably her father's writing that spelled out “to my darling Jezzamine … I am sorry but these are all the things I have instructed good Sir Donavallus he may or may not do.” On the outside of the scroll. “Do you really want to read this?” Donavallus intoned matter of factly. “Of course you fool i want to see exactly what my father has done!”


The princess tried vainly to reach the scroll in his hand. her rather short stature making the task rather difficult. “You foul being! Give me that scroll!” The princess finally snapped, having tired of reaching and jumping for the scroll. Her mud coated dress spinning around her as she tried  against and again to get the scroll resulting in her rather childishly  stamping her feet and pouting up at the taller knight. “Actually… Now that I think about it… I think it would be better that you don’t,” Donavallus decided, deliberately making an effort to resist her very sad expression. “W… What??  But why?” the princess’s face faltered more her heartbroken expression hard to ignore. Donavallus struggled internally for several moments to fight the urge to give in. “Im very sorry, milady, but now is not the time.” Donavallus pondered a moment, trying to find a reason… Any reason, to deny her, “you really should get into drier clothing, milady. I, too should not be attired as such, it draws far too much attention.”


“ hmpf! Fine, but i won't forget this, knight. I will see you are properly punished for this.” She huffed as she moved past the Knight and roughly grabbed the pilgrim clothing  and with a deep scowl  walked off to change her fury well spotted as she stomped away. “The nerve…” she grumbled her voice trailing off as she stormed off. It seems even in defeat the princess would have the last word.


Donavallus was almost  sad to see the real Princess. “I’m sure my punishment will be commuted as time having been served journeying with you in the first place, milady,” Donavallus snarked back. He grabbed his clothing and made his way to the side of the road where he disrobed from his armors and changed into the drab clothing provided by the king.


A few moments had passed since the princess had stormed off Sir Donavallus only slightly worried until a ear piercing scream hit the air  grabbing his sword he rushed to the direction of the scream a curse on his lips for not watching her closer as he burst into a clearing finding the princess in tears. “M..milady? Are you hurt?” he asked as he checked for dangers “This is horrid! How could my father do this  .. i look like...like .. a commoner!” she wailed out as she was now dressed in her disguise  the princess in actual fully fledged tears at the state of her dress. “This is the worst... a princess in such an outfit...ugh it's simply painful!”. Donavallus  merely stared in awe. “Wow,” he muttered after a pause, “that is the most ridiculous display of vanity I have ever witnessed, milady,” shaking his head in disbelief. “Uncultured brute of course you wouldn’t understand.” the princess snarled striding off once more.


“As much as i despise the idea of traveling with you i wish to be done with this farce as soon as possible! let us move.” She commanded as she  made to walk back to her horse. The mare a gentle thing was unused to such a loud rider and  spooked at her noisy approach, refusing to come the princess.  “Oh for heaven’s sake. Knight! make this horse be still.” The princess finally called after numerous attempts to approach the startled mare. Donavallus raised his hand to the mare, gently touching its nose. Quickly settling the horse’s nerves, he brushed the horse’s mane a bit, “is she a bit noisy for your liking, milady?” “well, she’s not really that noisy but,” the Princess began to reply but she was cut off by Donavallus, “I was talking to the horse, milady”


The princess gritted her teeth, scowling at the knight her figure shaking with rage. “ Will you simply settle the beast so we can move on.. You insulting man!” her voice raised again the mare  rearing back further from the princess. “Gah fine i’ll walk if thats what it takes flea bitten beast!” She growled out as she  grabbed her gear, the pack making her wobble around  but she grit her teeth and kept walking, a little angry cloud of frustration almost clear to see following her head around as she marched after the knight following with both of the horses.


The princess was, if one thing, stubborn she refused to be beaten and kept walking even if the knight's own horse frequently overtook her slow speed the luggage she was carrying was heavy, her feet not used to walking for so long.  When this whole journey started, the sun was high in the sky and now it was casting an orange glow.


She had been walking and walking. Her grim determination only matched by her hard head was fading quickly. Her feet were becoming painful to walk on and the princess hadn't even stopped for breaks.  Her now slowing form was wincing every couple of steps and her temper had diminished to a chant of “keep walking.” For a princess who had never left the safety of the castle, she could be rather bold. Even if it felt like her feet were going to fall off her pride refused to ask the knight to help her. Until finally she stopped sagging against a tree the sunsetting all around the duo.


Donavallus was struggling with his orders and his unwavering chivalrous attitude. He paused a moment and turned to the princess, “milady, your mare is but a gentle soul. Tis thine own actions which upset her.”  The princess still scowled, but it softened a touch. A small ray of hope crossing her mind. She was done with having very sore and throbbing feet.


She took a minute to compose herself before responding a slight plea in her eyes. “...You're saying... if i'm quiet i may ride the mare again?” She hesitantly asked. Glancing at the horse and then rather muddy and uneven ground,  she bit her lip before deciding to try again with the mare slowly approaching it. “ Nice Horse. Please don't be scared… I'll… try and be more quiet,” She reasoned and if she was honest pleaded as if the horse could speak to her. It seemed to work, as the mare was soon letting the princess ride again. For but a split second the knight caught a glimpse of a soft smile on the Princess as she petted the mare but it was gone as soon as he blinked. “Her name is Cassie, milady,” the Knight whispered trying not to alert her to the fact he saw her smile. “ Ah. Thank you ...Cassie,“ she whispered softly to the mare, Cassie responding by neighing back, causing a slight chuckle to escape from the Princess. It was a private intimate moment. One that was over too fast as the Princess returned to insulting the knight after a while. This method of banter keeping up until they reached the first town on their journey.


Donavallus could not keep the image of the smiling princess from his mind. Even when wearing her usual scowl, he thought her quite pretty. But when she smiled… she was positively radiant. He wondered if he should share this observation with her, but then remembering his station thought better of it. Perhaps it were best if he merely thought her pretty…


Needless to say when it was time to retire to the inn, the princess was unusually quiet but it could be simply that she had tired herself out with her marching there was a slight scoff at the state of the room but that was it she was soon kicking the knight out of her room and changing for the night her entire body ached not just from walking but for riding as well the days exertions lulling the princess into sleep fast and hard as not even a peep was heard after not to long a time leaving the knight free to relax maybe this journey wouldn’t be so bad after all.


His thoughts were of the day. How could he possibly break this Princess of her attitudes? For now, though, Donavallus held on to that fleeting glimpse of her smile. He knew there was a chance. His morning unfortunately did not begin with such positivity.


The princess was back to her brat like self in full swing as she was now ordering servant girls about, demanding a breakfast in bed and a hot bath to be drawn all without offering any room for explanation completely ignorant that these girls  were not her servants but servers of the inn there to help customers with questions, or to cook and clean their rooms once they had left or serving the food down stairs. it didn't take the knight long to find a flustered server nervously fidgeting as she had just been asked to draw a bath for a customer and then to stay there and help them clean themselves the poor girl was so very confused. Donavallus calmed the servant girl and offered a sizable tip of three gold to just forget about Jess and go about her day. He stormed into her room, dismissing the frightened servant girl cornered in the room as well. Offering the same bribe for silence once in the hallway outside the room. The princess having returned from the lavatory was irate to find the servant girls missing and the fathers agitated knight in their place.


“Milady… What in the savage hells are you doing?” Donavallus scolded, “this is not the castle nor are these your servant girls,” he whispered gruffly as one never knows who might be listening. “Ugh must you disturb my morning … and of course they are my servants. This is still my kingdom i am still their princess. They should be honored to serve me.” She dismissed his arguments with barely a glance at him as she was rummaging for yet another fine regal looking dress to wear. “No, damn it all, they are not your servants,” Donavallus growled, “they are in the employ of this inn. They do their job. Here you are no princess,” he snapped, “we are both mere travellers… You have no right demanding anything of them.” The princess  glared back at the growling knight “Watch your tongue, sir, i will not be spoken to in such a way. i will be a princess until i am queen i warn you sir do not exceed the rights of your station. Father may have hired you but i will ensure the failure of this mission if you dare take liberties with me.” the princess smirked satisfied she had put the annoying knight in his place and had turned her attention back to her gowns.  


Donavallus was many things in his time. But two things he was not were easily threatened nor a man to be trifled with. Threats were always dealt with, with all due haste. With no pause, he approached the mouthy woman from behind and easily threw her over his shoulder casually strolling into the wash chamber as she bludgeoned him both physically and verbally. “Have you gone mad?! Put me down at once!”Screamed the princess thrashing in his grip though it was as effective as a kitten escaping a lion. Casually, Donavallus carried the princess to the bathing tub and unceremoniously dropped her into the now cool water fully clothed.


The princess flailed and thrashed, yelling out various threats and the like. her screaming muted because of the colder temperature and the fact the knight had just did this. she was still stunned even as she tried and failed to get out of the bathing tub her now soggy clothes sticking to her frame and hindering her attempts at getting out in a hurry. “Are you going to settle down, now?” Donavallus inquired. “Get me out of here!” she fired back instantly,  the venom on her tongue dripping as furious eyes narrowed at him. As she finally waded to the edge of the tub and began to drag herself out. her cotton nightgown heavy with absorbed water. Donavallus repeated his question extending his hand to assist her. She hissed at the offered hand  finally managing to topple rather ungracefully to the floor with a wet splat of her clothes, “i'll show you settle down” she growled  glaring up at him from her graceless landing. “Oh… Will you now?” Donavallus asked incredulously. “Let’s see… First, who will believe you? After the stunt you pulled blaming the librarian for your theft of a book, when a dozen people saw you do it… Or how you blamed the chef for spitting in your food when several people saw you do it. Or the time you claimed a dragon set your church clothes on fire, when the guards thought it mighty conscientious that the dragon burned them in the fireplace.” He paused seeing the realization of her past bad behavior dawn upon her. “Need I go on?”


“Enough…” she stated after a while  as she got to her feet shivering. she didn't say another word but  scowled darkly as she walked past the knight with as much dignity that she could summon. the door to her room slamming shut with such force that it was rather surprising. Today was shaping up to be rather interesting.


Still, to be so rude to the princess irked Donavallus greatly. “Milady, I took no pleasure in that. But, you seriously need to understand this is not the castle, these people are not your servants, and I am definitely not a man to be fought or threatened.” Donavallus’s tone softened greatly, “milady, these people are to be your subjects one day. When you ascend to the throne, you cannot treat people this way any longer.” The knight’s impassioned speech was met with utter silence it seemed the princess was now simply refusing to talk at all.


It wasn't till later that the princess did reemerge in dry traveling pilgrims clothes even finding the girls she had been ordering about and apologising to them. she even smiled sweetly at Sir Donovallus,apologizing that he needed to go so far as to teach her a lesson. It seemed that cooling the princess off was quite the wise decision as she was far more agreeable today even offering to help pack their horses for the day. Once again, Donovallus caught a glimpse of the radiant smile. He saw something in her in that moment that perhaps she was finally becoming the woman she needed to be and not the bratty miscreant she had been acting like.


“Oh, Sir Donovallus, Perhaps we could take a walk… just around town. I’d actually like to see my kingdom not just read about it in lessons. we couldn’t  just… Go a little off track?” she asked with a rare look of hesitation not to mention this was the first time the princess had used his name and not just his station. “Please?” she added as she bit her bottom lip, wide eyes pleading with him. “Milady, I would be honored to acquiesce to such a thoughtful request,” Donavallus practically beamed, “it is in my mandate to educate thee of the kingdom before you. Knowing its folk makes thee all the more… Suited for thy station.” Donavallus chose his words carefully as the true reason for her visit was not to be known to anyone, much less the two servant girls puttering about the room. Donavallus offered his arm to the princess as a gesture of chivalry, that they may walk arm in arm.


The Princess seemed surprised that he even agreed to go much less offering his arm to her “O..oh  well  thank you, Sir.” she lightly curtsied before hesitantly taking his arm a soft blush on her cheeks “My apologies, sir, but I rarely get to practice how to interact with a gentlemen. I am afraid my manners are still rather unrefined.” She stated with a hint of embarrassment. It was true that the knight had been the first male she had been in extended contact with her whole life. The princess was rather sheltered and had been surrounded with chambermaids since she was small. The opportunity to actually use her lessons of interacting with a gentleman was very rare indeed.


For all the trouble this woman had been, Donavallus’s heart near burst with delight at this wondrous turn of events. Together the duo strolled the streets of the town, Donavallus explaining all he could to his young companion. His knowledge of the town both in historical and current knowledge was impressive by any standard. Donavallus for a moment dared entertain the notion that Jess would not marry the Prince of this kingdom. That he alone might join in matrimony to this utterly enticing princess at his side. But he sadly knew such things might never be. The mere idea, pure fantasy.


“Sir Donavallus? Are you well?” the princess asked a little concerned  as the knight seemed to be staring at her. “Um is there perhaps something on my face?” she fidgeted under his intense stare but still remained linked to him her curious eyes watching him from under full lashes.


The knight simply smiled, a small chuckle hit the air and the pair continued their walk around town. Soon a soft music drifted in the air  entertaining a small crowd of peasants and common people alike. The princess being curious investigated the strange commotion, the knight following mere steps behind her.


What greeted the princess's eyes were a couple dancing rather happily. The soft beat of the music being moved to with a near perfection. Both of the dancers seeming to be in there own world, their eyes locked to each other. The princess didn’t even notice her own gentle swaying to the music as she was struck by awe at the grace and emotion coming from the performers. Their bewitching act having ensnared her mind rather easily.


“They are Beautiful…” She whispered out the bright colours of the female’s dress flaring out as she spun past the princess. “First time seeing dancers milady?” Donovallus spoke softly, trying not to startle the obviously distracted princess.  Jessamine  huffed in reply  “Of course not! I have seen plenty of dancers perform in the castle.” She stated with confidence. “Then why are you so taken by them?” The knight asked with a small smile.


Jessamine looked back to the dancers, a small tint of red on her cheeks before replying to the knights question. “They...look so happy.” She softly replied a carefree smile on her lips as she once again swayed in time with the music.  Donovallus examined the princess’s response. She really was taken in by the dancing couple, thinking about his next action carefully he moved to stand beside the princess and bowed a slight smile on his lips. “Would Milady care to dance?” He asked a comforting smile on his lips and his steady eyes drawing the Princess closer.


Flustered the princess tried to get the knight to stand and move on but he chuckled and remained in his place, Her weaker form unable to move the knight. “Do be serious..” she flushed bright red.  “Besides I ..am not a good dancer.” She admitted sorrowfully looking down at her feet. It was with this action that the knight softly captured her hand and tugged the nervous princess to his side. “Just follow my lead.” He smiled encouraging her as the pair began a slow and slightly awkward dance.


The pair soon got used to dancing with each other, they moved with the music more. The princess letting go of her stress as her knight led her in a merry dance. The constant spinning was not even dizzy, she just kept her focus on her knight and the reeling sensation would slowly fade, She hoped.


Even so a noticeable blush was on her cheeks as the music faded to the background, but the pair continued to dance. The surrounding world muted as they moved together. She hadn’t even noticed the small crowd they had gathered, all she knew was when the music finally stopped she was in Donovallus’s arms and she really didn’t want to leave.


The pair breathed heavily as they slowly returned from the intimate space they had shared. A solid thought echoed in Jessamines head. She really should have took a second look when it came to her knight. It would explain how she was now speechless and in his arms after performing a dance  blushing hot enough to replace the very sun.


“Okay enough of that.” Jessamine blurted out embarrassed that she had been staring so deeply into her knights eyes never mind the rush of thoughts declaring him handsome Donovallus chuckled  barely effected from the dance and was smirking rather knowingly at her “Will you stop that!” the Princess snapped only to receive another chuckle from her Knight.

“I did not take you to be romantic, Milady.” he finally stated after regaining his composure but a slight smile still clung to his lips  “You shouldn’t Judge people you don't know, Sir Donovallus, it's not very chivalrous of you.” Jessamine  fumed  snapping back at the comment. “Oh my deepest apologies, Milady” he bowed again the princess blushing again as the smirk on his face. “Oh go pester someone else.” she finally stated much to the amusement of the knight


“Hmpf the sooner i reach my prince the faster i can leave your rather rude company.” she bristled stalking away from the knight the man effortlessly keeping up with her “Alright alright i am sorry milady… i simply didn’t expect it.” Jessamine huffed again and the Knight sighed.


After waiting silently for a few moments he thought of a question to ask. “Milady  what is your idea of your prince?  You haven't met him correct?” The princess warily replied.” No i haven't met him but he is a Prince  he’s sure to be handsome. Completely infatuated by me, dote on me of course and be extremely rich” Jessamine happily stated, her impassioned response like it was fact.


Donovallus stared at the princess for a full minute before bursting into laughter. The force of it causing the knight to stop walking and clutch his gut. Jessamine sighed clearly unimpressed at the knights behaviour and waited for the man to calm himself. His sniggers fading after a few minutes.


The princess pouted then decided to turn the question on her knight. “Fine what is your kind of Maiden if my idea of a Prince is so wrong.” she stated with a slight scowl.


The knight was quiet for a while before he replied. “She would have to be Beautiful, yes but on the inside to , kind, compassionate  smart, but with a little bit of fire to her a fiery spirit that burns in her very eyes. That would be my kind of girl. Sadly… several are qualities you lack.”


Donovallus  continued walking but the princess fell behind, her mind on his answers. Jessamine felt unexpectedly sad that there were several qualities she lacked, but then she caught the knights wording. “Wait Sadly?” She muttered to herself before speeding up her pace. She reached out and was just about to grasp the knights hand before she was interrupted by a hand grasping her waist, another quickly coming to cover her mouth. A short gasp of breath was all she had time to mutter before a leather covered hand muffled any sound she made. The grip on her arms vice like and refusing to budge.


The next sound to reach the princess’s ears was a primal snarl that startled her and her captor. “Unhand her... now,” Donavallus was enraged, “your mistake is not only surely the largest you have ever made, but I can also assure you it will be your last. The princess caught a glimpse of Donavallus and the change was startling. Gone was the peaceful demeanor, replaced by the fighting spirit of a demon. She then caught a glimpse of a shadow behind him and tried warning him with her eyes. Donavallus had caught the expression and turned just in time to be smashed across the face by a mace wielding hoodlum. The impact threw him to the ground where he lie motionless in a growing pool of his own blood.


The two miscreants rather pleased with themselves, began to leave until the snarl came again. “If that's the best you can do, they're better be at least three of you,” Donavallus growled. Before the man who struck him could even prepare for a second swing the knights hammering fist put the man not only to the ground but rather into it. As he attempted to get back up, Donnavallus struck him again, the sickening sound not unlike striking a cabbage with a brick. The man fell and would never again rise.


The first hoodlum threw the princess to the ground and pulled a knife. Donavallus merely glared with a sinister grin, made all the more unsettling as his own blood covered better than half his face as a crimson mask. The captor made one step toward the princess as he thought better of engaging the man before him hoping to use the woman for leverage. Donavallus moved like water. Hard crushing water as he drove his foot into the mans’ weight bearing knee, folding his leg completely in the direction opposite its normal usage. The man tried to wail in agony but Donavallus closed his mouth with a thunderous uppercut before he could utter a sound. He toppled backwards like a tree and had Donavallus straddling him before he hit the ground. Before the man knew what was going on, Donavallus was holding his own blade directly on his throat. Any movement and the knife would quite likely remove the man’s head.


“Milady? Art thou well?” Donavallus inquired, his more recognizable tone slowly returning. “I…Yes,” she stuttered out shaking. She was not sure what scared her more, her knights effortless transformation or her being held hostage. Her heart was beating hard against her skin and she couldn’t tear her eyes from his form.


“I give thee one word… let it be on that serves to bring thee salvation, my lord,” Donavallus inquired of the man pinned before his blade, “For whom dost thou serve that you try to take the life of this woman.” The ruffian’s eyes fairly gleamed in terror, tears running down his haggard face. “T’was the lady,” he stammered without hesitation. “Wrong answer, charlatan,” Donavallus muttered, the growl returning. “By the gods,” the man cried out, “I swear on me wife an’ kids. That woman hired us to rough you up… T’was me mate, Horace, what you killed… ‘e decided since she was a spoutin’ about bein’ a princess that maybe we ought take her instead… Fifty gold she was t’ give us… Horace figured a ransom could get us a thousand maybe more…”


A singular glance back to the princess revealed her aura of utter shame… Donavallus dropped the knife. “Sir Donavallus,” she began, “I can…” Donavallus raised his hand to silence her. In the moment, Jess was certain this was the correct action, and fell silent. He stood from over the ruffian and after a step back, he crashed to the ground. Jess ran to his side. As she began to speak to find out if he was ok, he brushed away her assistance with a scowl. “Away, woman,” Donavallus scolded, “I am certain thou has done quite enough.”


Donavallus sat up and dragged himself backwards to the wall of a building to help steady himself as he sat collecting his thoughts. “Would these words come from any man about any woman but thee, I would certainly find them lies,” Donavallus muttered. “But these words ring with a truth I need not affirmed with words or fobbed off by pathetic excuse.” Donavallus’ tone had fallen to utter disgust. “They speak of a woman with so little regard for herself she thinks the world her plaything. That she above all others is deserving of crowns and fineries. So little regard for others she doth berate and insult those who would offer assistance. So inwardly reprehensible as to place total disregard on the lives of others that she would pay them to throw their lives away… attacking a Knight of the Royal Order of The Dark Protectorate? Just that she may while her days with ignorant fancies of handsome wealthy princes and happy endings… when thy heart deserves so little.”


Donavallus fell silent for a moment. Jess approached slowly as she feared his blood loss might have him going unconscious. Just as she knelt to look into his face, his eyes met hers, “Yet I would have given mine, would that I could,” he whispered, “But the worst of all these… thou wouldst have certainly broken thy mother’s heart with that which you have become.”


Each word pierced her so much worse than any blade or arrow. Every fault her own choice. Every mistake dragged into the light of day. The Crown Princess Jessamine was laid bare and found guilty.


“Just… go,” Donavallus uttered as he struggled to his feet, “I know thy wish to be away from me…” After a single step, Donavallus fell to the ground, his breathing quite shallow and ragged.


Jessamine dashed to the knights side Just as the first few droplets of rain started to fall. A resounding roar of thunder signalling a coming storm the rain falling hard on the ground the icy cold far from her mind. Her total focus was on the fallen knight , his labored breath paralyzing her with fear. So much more then the chill of rain could ever do. “Donavallus!..Oh gods..Please be alright… wake up… Wake up damn you!  Shout at me! Curse me! Do something!...Just  wake up… Oh gods, What have I done…” Jessamine screamed for help, tears streaking her face mixing with the pounding rain. A tightness around her throat as more tears fell but she wouldn't stop. Her broken cry repeated  praying for someone to aid her. Her throat raw from the harsh use, she didn't care. If no one would help she would he wouldn’t die not here not in the rain.


The town healer’s assured Princess Jezzamine that they could heal the knight but it would be of high cost. “I don't care about cost, Take as much as you need. Just bring him back... Please… I have to right this horrible wrong.” The princess's replied her raw  damaged voice now barely higher than a whisper. She sat with the knight she wouldn't leave his side, she clutched at his hand holding on to it intertwining his fingers with her own she only did this  because he was asleep. She’d dare not touch him if he was awake. What right did a black hearted fiend like her have to touch him.


Donavallus opened his eyes to the glaring sun of a new day. He could tell it was morning… just not what morning it in fact was. A woman dressed in white calmed him as he groggily inquired where he was…. What had happened… what day was it. The woman offered answers as best as she could. Donavallus had been unconscious for three days. He was currently at the medical facility in Twin Shire. She asked him to lie back and then went to get the healer who would be able to give him more answers.


Donavallus began to panic. A terrible gnawing dread weighing heavily on him. Donavallus bolted from the bed to find he was actually incapable of seeing with his left eye. What was going on? How did this happen? Why couldn’t he remember? The confused knight stumbled to the floor. Cursing his memories.


Images of a battle. A man roughly handling some woman. Then a sudden crushing pain. Who was that man? Who was the woman? Why did he have memories of rain?


Wait… it wasn’t rain… it was… tears. Her tears. The woman… The Princess!

Suddenly his mind grabbed hold of an image in his mind. The sweet smile of the Princess. A moment frozen in time, but more powerful than any other memory he had.


Where was Jezzamine? Donavallus struggled to his feet reaching for a hold on something that was not there and he crashed again to the ground.


A strong hand reached down to help the knight to his feet. “Easy, mate,” came a reassuring gesture, “Let me help you.” The strong hand helped Donavallus to his feet with ease. “Steady on, there,” assured the stranger, “I only got me one leg so let’s not be knocking us both down like a couple turtles.” Donavallus finally took a look at the man who had helped him and recoiled in shock. “You?” Donavallus blurted out. It was the man from his shattered memories. The man roughly treating the princess. Donavallus looked the man up and down to find his left leg had in fact ended at his knee now.


“What? How? Did I…” Donavallus stammered. “No no,” the large man reassured him, “The healer was goin t’ fix me knee, but turns out I ‘ad an infection from a dog bite. Bloody beast ‘ad chewed on me pretty good. Well I didn’t pay it no mind… The healer says if you ‘adn’t broke me knee the infection might ‘ave done me in by fall.”


Donavallus really wasn’t sure if that made any of this seem better or not. Donavallus never heard of anyone’s knee healing from the damage he was capable of doing. “The woman?” He suddenly started, “Where is she? Is she well?”


“Aye, lad,” that she is. “The princess is quite fine.” Donavallus was startled to realize the man knew her identity. But bits and pieces of the shattered memory began falling into place. “She ought be ‘round any minute now,” the gruff man huffed as he sat down on a bed next to Donavallus. “Don’t worry, no one else knows who she is,” he whispered with a wink.


Donavallus took to watching the window for any sign of her. “Oy,” the large man laughed  gruffly, “that’s quite a lady you ‘ave there, mate. She been by your side ever since we got ‘ere.” Donavallus was confused, “We?” “That’s right, we,” the man smiled. “You know, she’s a lot stronger than what she looks. She carried you ‘ere… by her lonesome. All trippin’ ‘n fallin’ in the rain and mud. She must ‘ave been a sight bringing you in… much less when she came back for me.”


“She helped… you… here as well?” Donavallus was struggling with this. How did the petite princess manage to bring not only him but this rather large man so far?


“Oi… I’m sorry, Sir Donavallus, I guess you ‘n’ I didn’t get on so well when we met,” the large man explained offering his hand in a handshake, “Titus… Titus Rimfeld, at your service, sir.” Donavallus shook the man’s hand. It slowly dawned on Donavallus just why the two of them were here. The memories realigning in his mind. The drop in his mood was obvious.


“Oi, try not t’ be so upset with the lady,” Titus offered. “What? Why not?” Donavallus snapped back, “I very nearly killed you because of her” “You ‘n’ I aren’t why we’re here, sir… we’re ‘ere because a young lady who lived a very sheltered life was forced out o’ her little world and thrown into one you ‘n’ I know per’aps a bit too well. It’s not all rainbows ’n’ unicorns out ‘ere is it?”


Why did this man seem to be making so much sense, Donavallus pondered. How could he know anything about the Princess? It dawned on Donavallus that perhaps the only people that could see the truth of what royals perceive are those outside the walls of their jaded little worlds. You never see yourself in dreams… only fantasies. And you’re never quite what reality would reveal in those fantasies. Merely an idealized version of how you perceive yourself. Donavallus knew this well. After all he had fantasies of his own, from the time he was born. Those fantasies drove him to his true calling. So in that fact alone, he found his hold on his anger towards Jess slipping from his grasp.


“Oi… “Titus added, “If you never leave your castle… your fantasy... maybe no one will ever know the real you... Maybe not even you?” Donavallus looked at this strange man before him in a humbled state. “Sir…” Donavallus eyed Titus, “You are wise beyond your measure.” Shaking his hand Donavallus realized the princess was exactly as he’d described her. “You have a daughter of your own, don’t you.” Titus smiled, “Apple o’ me eye, that one,” Titus beamed. “She often dreamed to be a princess some day.” Titus saddened a bit, “but I’m no royal, aye?”



Just then Donavallus spied the princess approaching the door. He smiled to see she was not alone. In that moment, Donavallus remembered everything that inspired him to volunteer for the job of protecting the princess. In that moment, he knew he was in fact right about her.


The door opened and the princess entered holding the hand of a little girl in a bright pink little dress fit for a princess herself. “Da!” the little girl squealed as she ran to Titus hugging him in his chair. The princess was beaming at the sight of the father and daughter being reunited. Titus was shocked. In tears he smiled, “Little Angelique! How?” he stammered. “I hope you don’t mind but it was my doing. I visited with your wife and daughter today. I wished to give them news of your health. Your wife had to work but your daughter wanted to visit… I offered my service,” Jezzamine explained foregoing to mention that she had also treated the little girl to the pink dress she was currently in seeing such a detail as irrelevant.


“Thank you, milady,” Titus whispered. “Wherever did you get such a pretty dress?” he asked little Angelique. “Jess gave me it.” the little girl giggled twirling to show her dress off. “What do I owe ye then, milady,” Titus offered. “Oh don’t be silly. you owe me nothing. Besides a little princess needs a dress to match.” Jezzamine smiled a slight wink given to the child as the daughter curtseyed and waved royally. “Did Miss Jess tell you who she is?” TItus whispered to the little girl, “She’s going to be our Queen. And if I may say… a fine Queen at that.” Titus smiled as he glanced at Jess. The little girl’s eyes widened. “You… you’re a … a princess, too?” little Angelique whispered.


“Shhh… let’s keep that our little secret, ok? Between Princesses?” Jess replied with a smile kneeling down to the little girl. The little girl was ecstatic. She ran to Jess and hugged her, “I won’t tell anyone.” The little girl pondered for a moment. “Can I tell Timmy I’m a princess?” Angelique whispered. Titus smiled  broadly, “Timmy is her puppy.” Jezzamine chuckled before responding “Of course what’s a princess without a loyal companion?” she leaned in and whispered to the little girl “Besides our companions give the best hugs… apart from our parents but they are special.” she finished with a wink and gently encouraged the child to rejoin her father. She was aware Donavallus was awake and was witnessing the entire event it was time to at least greet him. “Come, little princess,” Titus whispered to the little girl, “I think Jess and my friend Donavallus have much to talk about.” Titus hoisted the little girl in one arm and his crutches with the other. The princess offered to help. Titus whispered, “tis fine’ milady. She’s not ‘eavy… she’s me daughter” And with a smile Titus hobbled away on his crutches. The little girl asking what happened to his leg. “Nothing to worry about, little one,” he replied as they made their way outside to a garden where little Angelique played with the butterflies.


“I trust you are being treated well here yes?” She asked nervously her eyes flicking to meet his gaze for a few seconds before examining the her hands. “I...  It’s nice to see you awake… I mean… you look better. Not that you looked bad before just less injured.” she winced, her courage rapidly dwindling and she hadn’t even said a tenth of what she had planned to say. “Art thou well, milady?” Donavallus inquired once he had an opportunity.


Of all the things she thought he would say, asking about her didn’t even come close. The surprise  startling her enough to be silent for a few minutes before she regained her voice. “It’s not important my health isn’t what matters right now.” she dismissed his question readily.  Her own health seemed so ridiculously unimportant that she didn’t give the question more than a second thought.


“Milady… art thou well?” Donavallus asked again, this time taking both of the Princess’s hands into his own, staring into her eyes. “You… you have better things to think about.” she replied shakily. she was panicking a little  her eyes refusing to meet his own as she tried to gently remove his grip she didn't feel worthy to hold his hand. “Milady,” Donavallus whispered, reaching up, Slowly turning her face to his gently, “there is nothing more important in the world to me than you…” Jezzamine shook  tears quickly gathering in her eyes. “I...I was so scared you wouldn’t come back. Why.. why  do you care am nothing to be cared about i… don’t deserve you. Or your worrying” she sobbed out before breaking and hugging the knight desperately more tears quickly being absorbed into his shirt as the princess shook in his hold.

Donavallus wrapped the princess in his arms and pulled her close. “Say not such things of my princess, Milady,” he reassured her, “the woman she was is no longer. I can see that now.” Jezzamine  tried to control her tears but looking at her knight she was heavily reminded of the price he paid for her mistake.  A caressing hand lightly tracing around his injured eye the color faded “I will always be sorry for injuring you like this. It should have been me” she thought out loud a soothing touch pressing into the bruised skin that was still healing around his eye before she leaned forward and gently pressed her lips to his injured eye, a watery smile being offered.


“His vision may yet return, madam,” announced a strange voice from behind them. It was the healer and his assistant. “Takes a mighty strong man to take a blow like that and survive, much less be up and about so soon.” The princess reluctantly left her knights embrace but focused on the healer’s words “is there something i can do to have a chance at recovering his vision?” she asked lightly trying to not get her hopes up. “A man of his strength, madam?” the healer laughed, “I’m not sure even I helped him. I believe it to be his own will which has brought him so far so quickly.” Jezzamine smiled at that, glancing at the knight with a soft grin, “That I could believe easily,” she smirked the knight was almost impossibly strong  and she had been on the receiving end of his will power before. It was very hard to beat the man in a battle of wills.


The healer and his assistant smiled and took their leave.


“Milady…” Donavallus’ tone so soft as to be almost imperceptible, “I must apologize for my outburst. I was entirely out of line with my remarks. As such I shall return to the king and forfeit my wage. My words were… untrue to say the very least.” The Princess sighed and shook her head. “You won’t be returning to the king to do such a thing, especially when I believe your words to be true and almost needed to be said. Although, I wasn’t aware you knew my mother.  Were you well acquainted?” she asked with some curiosity as she took a seat beside the knight.


“Aye, milady,” Donavallus replied, “I knew thy mother well. Even before thou hadst been born. She was the kindest woman I had ever known. My remark concerning you… I spoke completely out of anger, milady. I beg thy forgiveness.” Donavallus was silent for a moment. “Surely, as I saw thee with young Angelique, I saw much of thy mother in you. Just as I had seen her speaking to her young little princess.” A smile covered his face, “The actions of children are a certain measure of thy character, milady.” Jezzamine chuckled a little bitterly, “That child didn’t know me before and has only met me once  your theory might be flawed my knight.”


“Nonsense,” Donavallus corrected her, “none are who we were, but who we choose to be now.” Donavallus looked into Jezzamine’s eyes again, “Thy mother’s kind heart would certainly burst with pride at the woman thou hast become, milady… tis truly who you always were even if you might have lost sight for a time.” The princess softly chuckled “I am not going to be allowed to disagree with you, am I, knight?” she asked amused.


“Nay, milady,” he smiled, “For my heart bursts with pride to call the my Queen as well.” ‘Queen’...  the title used to mean so much to her but now it came  with a touch of sadness. “I’d need to marry the prince to be thy queen knight, I am not so sure I wish to claim that title. I’ve made many mistakes.” she softly admitted keeping the topic to them alone.


“Ever shalt thou be my Queen, milady,” Donavallus replied, “So long as breath fills me.” Donavallus stood only to kneel before Jezzamine, “So long as thou would have me serve. My sight may have faltered, but I see now more clearly than ever that thou art my single sovereign.” Jezzamine shyly smiled before slipping off the bed and embracing him as he remained bowed her lips at his ear moving “My most precious Knight... I…  don’t want my false prince. My heart desires the one who has always protected me. I wish to be with my knight regardless of rules or station. Marrying for power and political gain  can happen to another princess. I chose you. And I am sorry it took this horrible fault of mine to see.” she was shivering but still clung to the knight she had spilled everything her heart and head was feeling now the rest was left to her knight.


“Milady…” Donavallus stammered, “Thy words do honor and flatter me. I, too, would want for nothing more, but I know not if such a thing could be.”


The princess wore a brief expression of regret, “Donavallus, I do apologise, but I read the sealed letter my father gave you. I only did so because I was at a loss of what to do you being injured. Not to merely sate curiosity.” Donavallus looked at Jezzamine curiously as she took the now opened scroll from her dress pocket and handed it to him. In truth, Donavallus had not read the letter either. As the letter was addressed to Jezzamine and not himself, to him this message was quite a mystery.


The letter read as follows,

My dearest, Jezzamine.

I pray that on this venture thou dost find thy true heart once again. Ever since the sad day of thy mother’s passing, my heart feared for your future. I know matters of state oft took me from you. I know well thou hast come to resent the matter. I harbor no such delusion otherwise. I was not there when thou needest me most. Never were you far from my mind, yet the matters of Kingdom and country intervened when I ought have tended to that which did matter most. You. For that I pray you can find forgiveness for an old fool.

I pray you find happiness and peace. I pray with all my heart the Prince of Traminallia brings thee all thou hast ever desired.

With you I send my most trusted knight, Sir Donavallus. A man who perhaps knows thee better even than myself. I know in my heart of hearts Sir Donavallus will treat thee with all the respect he might muster. His calling is unfortunate, as he has the strength of ten men but the heart of a hundred. I find him to be the singularly most honourable man I have ever known. I know the importance with which he holds you. His is a heart who will never betray thee.

Should you find your true heart on your travels, I believe you may see Donavallus as I see him. A man worthy of your trust. A man worthy of honour. A man truly worthy of your love.

Should such come to pass, my most cherished daughter, go with him. Give Sir Donavallus the love I know he has for thee. Go with all my blessings with the man I would choose for thee above all things. Above all the kingdoms of the Earth, for I know he would do the same for thee.

Be well, my daughter, wherever thy heart leads.


Forever with all my love,

Dad


Donavallus sat in silence a moment. “Now… finally I understand why I was never to give this to you.” He paused a moment. “Now I know why I was to burn it should you marry the Prince.” A tear from his eye welled up at the praise from his King. “I was quite surprised to read this letter but it helped greatly  though I was worried my… past actions... had killed this option for me.”


The Princess bit her lip contemplating her next words. “Donavallus, would… I..”  Jessamine cut herself off with a sigh. She nodded to herself and rather quickly  placed a kiss on her knights cheek before blurting out “Would you stay with me?” she blushed rose red and refused to look anywhere but the floor.


Donavallus did slightly chuckle at the blushing Princess but moved closer and lightly griped her chin a soft smile on his lips as he gently kissed Jezzamine. “Forever,” was his one whispered word in reply as he kissed her again.


The couple were never apart from that day on and through the years both stayed as happy as they were on that day. Jezzamine and Donavallus were granted their own land on which the King proclaimed the once knight to be Baron Donavallus. The Baron and Baroness Donavallus as their first order of business, established a homestead for Titus, Angelique, and their family. Their own daughter grew up with Angelique as her best friend. The healer of Twin Shire eventually did help Donavallus regain his sight. Titus, too, was made to walk again. His leg a prosthetic, the first of it’s kind.


The princess found her heart and the knight kept it safe, just as he always had.



FIN
















© 2017 LeighAndJeff


Author's Note

LeighAndJeff
comments wanted :) (I do not own image)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

69 Views
Added on March 1, 2017
Last Updated on March 17, 2017
Tags: Knight, Princess, Brat

Author

LeighAndJeff
LeighAndJeff

Schuylkill Haven, PA



About
This is a split account for both Leigh Hodgens and Jeff Margavage. Leigh and myself have been writing for over a year together with a most unique arrangement. I guess it isn't often people who have ne.. more..

Writing



Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5