The Familar

The Familar

A Story by LeighAndJeff
"

little kittens tend not to do well on their own luckily this one gets a second chance

"

The Familiar

By Leigh Hodgens and Jeff Margavage


The skies seemed to cry that night as the lonely kitten sat within sight of the blaze which had once been her home. If a kitten might cry, this would be the night for tears, among the violent blaze she could hear the cries of her mother. Not her actual birth mother, but the woman who had taken her in when she had found her.


Her mother had lived a solitary life among the forest and never had she any inclination to move closer to the settlements of men. Instead, Mother and kitten would spend days collecting herbs and berries among the bounteous trove of treasures to be found among the wise and ancient trees, for those with the sense to look. Happily, they would collect the gifts of the forest as the mother would explain to the kitten the magical properties of each one, holding it to the kitten that she might sniff or perhaps bat at with eager playful paws. Some of the items mother would find she would warn the kitten off, for they were poisonous to kittens and often all life. Mother would collect these, too, in order to ensure that other wildlife creatures might not find them and eat them by accident… or to keep them from the hands of those who might do evil things with them.


For years the little family lived in peaceful ignorance of the cruelty of man. Until one day, two small children had come to the forest, obviously lost. The kitten’s mother in fact helped the stray waifs on their way in the direction of their home. They needed but to follow the path to the river and follow the shore in the way of the sun until they came to the bridge that would lead them back to safety. She walked them as far as the river and returned home. Through a sad twist of fate, one of the children had gone missing, the other child having made it to safety but too young to explain what had happened properly could only produce the phrase, “lady in the woods.”


As was the unfortunate custom of the era, superstition immediately took hold, and so a collective of knights and townsfolk took to the forest in search of this lady in the woods who obviously must be a witch. Her adoptive mother could hear their approach and sensed their intentions, and they weren’t good. One of the armored men had broken in the door, not to question but to accuse. Upon seeing her assortment of herbs and other things found in the forest, and unfortunately the poisonous plants as well, she was immediately branded a witch and the decision was made that she was certainly the cause of the disappearance of the child and they took justice into their own misguided hands, sealing the woman inside and setting the quaint wooden shack ablaze.


Mother managed to find an escape for the kitten, but she was not so lucky and perished in the inferno of injustice… leaving the kitten alone once again, and it had begun to rain. Small pitiful mewls filled the cold night’s air as the little kitten felt the icy drip of the rain slip into her fur chilling her weak, little form. Mother wasn’t answering her anymore and the dark of night, usually comforting, was on this night  terrifying. Her cries were eventually noticed  as she spied armoured feet approaching her. She shook in dread, yowling out for help  the feline  positive that this was the end of her as well as she  cowered before the being. Bright green eyes wide and pleading for a life she had barely lived.


Gently, the man in the armoured boots took up the kitten in his warm hands, sheltering her from the rain. “My saddest sympathies, little one,” he whispered shaking his head in disgust at the sight of the reveling knights and townsfolk over their mighty victory against a lone, unarmed woman. “I may not know the ways to care for thee as this hapless maiden had,” he said looking to the frail little kitten in sadness, “but by my honor shall I try my best.” he concluded, the rain streaming down his face. He turned to leave the site of this wicked act of justice, sheltering the kitten all the while.


The pair traveled in the downpour for a while. The  bundle of fur in his hands  now was quite a source of warmth itself  the kitten didn’t have the energy to remain scared and had slowly curled into a ball and watched as the knight walked, the elements thankfully not reaching her in the man’s grasp. His home was soon approaching and while it was no small wooden hut, it did look sturdy and warm. The kitten meowing a question, it seemed to ask if this was their destination, turning its body to face the armoured man. While mother had granted the kitten the ability to speak the language of men, the knight had yet to be proven trustworthy of such a gift. So regular meows and mewls with a couple of scratches would have to make do.


The man took the kitten inside the cozy home. He set the little kitten upon a pillow he had placed next to himself as he sat upon a rather comfortable piece of furniture the kitten would soon learn was called a sofa. Interestingly enough, the man behaved much like her mother had. Introducing her to things around the home for her to sniff or more likely bat at with her tiny paws. The man would come to her several times that evening, looking sad at first but then smiling upon seeing the kitten. “My goodness…” he suddenly blurted in embarrassment, “where are my manners?” He quickly moved to another room where the  kitten could hear strange sounds. She had no intention of leaving this comfortable sofa, and so sat watching, her little head tilting in curiosity. What was this strange man up to?


He soon emerged from the other room, but before he could even enter the room a delicious scent came to the kittens heightened senses. She literally pranced in circles at the scent, giving the man reason to laugh. Sitting beside her, he presented her with what he called turkey. It was with loud purring and grateful meows that she devoured the meat down, delicately  taking each section from the man’s fingers her ravenous hunger sated  for now she purred contentedly and curled at the man's side but instead of sleeping like the man expected, the kitten stayed where she was her little head resting lightly on his lap seemingly asking him to pet her drying ebony fur. The man was quite pleased to do so. And so, there the two sat until the late hours of the evening, both quite satisfied with each other's company, both eventually drifting off to sleep.


The man woke in the morning to the playful pawings of the little kitten. “I’m awake little one… I’m awake,” he laughed. “Hmm…” he pondered for a moment, “if thou art to be my faithful companion, it should be proper of me to find thee a name.” The man smiled and went to the other room again, grabbing some bits of material that lay about the house. His attempts to sew were frequently thwarted by playful paws as they tugged at the thread he was using. What normally should have been a simple task was now a delightfully frustrating task. Eventually the man was quite satisfied with what he had created and sat again by the playful kitten who eyed him curiously.


He had taken from the other room a small knife and produced it in view of the kitten. The kitten sat eyeing him curiously as he wrapped his creation around the kitten, it was a tiny green, hooded cloak which he gently tied around the kitten. The color of the cloak was that of the cloths of his own armour. He smiled proudly as he tapped the kitten on her shoulders, “In the spirit of companionship, and for the bravery you have shown,” he spoke with a regal tone, “I dub thee Midnight of the Knights Feline.” The kitten sat in apparent bewilderment. The man chuckled, “I’m sorry if thy name be not more regal, little one, but tis unknown to me whether thou be boy kitten or girl kitten. My modesty does not permit me such intent of … checking. I figured since thy fur be dark as the midnight skies, twould be most appropriate. The cloak to guard thee from the rains should they fall again.” The kitten nodded as if understanding the man's reasoning and tested the cloak by bouncing around and running  when the cloak did not budge. A prideful sort of aura surrounded the feline  as she took to following the man around and helping, as much as a small cat could, with his tasks about the house.


The  man’s mood became a little more serious after a short while. He grabbed some fancy looking paper and sat at the table. Midnight hopped playfully up to the table curious of what he was currently doing.The man took the ornate stick and dipped it into a small jar of liquid whose darkness rivalled even that of her fur. The light scratching sound produced by the man placing the tip onto the paper and attempting to write inspired Midnight to gleefully attack the writing implement. The man took up the kitten and eyed her with seriousness, “Midnight, I am sorry but I must attend to an urgent matter which doth weigh heavy upon my heart. Please amuse thyself somewhere other than on my table, please.”


Midnight once again proved her intelligence by ceasing her attacking  but she was hesitant to leave the man in such a mood. She cocked her head scanning the paper she padded around to the other side of the desk and sat on her haunches her tail curling around her as the feline glanced at the knight seeming to say, “write away.” As she even lay no longer concerned about the twitching pen. The man’s expression softened as he eyed the kitten and her remarkable behavior, “Would that other men would show such courtesy, little one.” He stared a moment in amazement and then set back to writing. Frequently the man eyed the kitten, impressed by the impression that Midnight actually seemed to be reading as he wrote. He smiled dismissing it as mere curiosity.


My most sovereign liege, King Titus,


It is with heavy heart I address thee on a most grave injustice, I fear.

This past evening I was summoned along with my company of honorable knights concerning the whereabouts of the missing child Lucius of the family Sarath.

It was the opinion of the townsfolk that a woman in the forest was the cause of his disappearance. We set out with the intent of finding the child, but upon arrival to the squalid domicile of the woman, all fell to chaos when suspicion of witchcraft did arise.

The woman was not known to be a witch, nor was she known to any of the common folk at all. But immediately the hostile assembly concluded she was to suffer the persecution of witchery without so much as a single question issued. In the name of Justice, the woman was burned in her assumed den of deviltry.

I fear such persecution was unfounded. I am not at liberty to question the commands of my good superiors, for they didst follow the fevered wishes of the assembled common folk.

But without benefit of evidence or questioning.

I fear this woman suffered a most unpleasant demise with no forethought to guilt or proof thereof.

I ask of thee permission to investigate the matter as the child was not found nor a single trace of his ever having come into contact with this woman.

Perhaps she was not even the woman in question at all. Perhaps there may be a witch at large in the forest and this woman being victim of ill placement at an ill time. We have naught but the incomplete thoughts of a child of barely two years of age as burden of proof.

Humbly, I beseech thy permission to investigate.


All glory to you, my liege,

With all my heart, my spirit, and my strength of limb

Sir Donovan of Demishire


Sir Donovan read the letter aloud to Midnight, almost half expecting the finely adorned kitten to critique his request to the King. Midnight  meowed loudly  and approached the letter with a slight distastefulness in her form as she pawed lightly  at the mention of her mother being blamed for the child's disappearance. She then proceeded to rant in her feline tongue, all of which made little sense to the knight  as she again with her paw referenced certain parts of the letter. After she appeared to have run out of steam did the kitten lazily collapse almost appearing utterly dejected and frustrated.


Sir Donovan ruffled the fur of his tiny companion, presuming her little rant was approval for his words. He smiled as he walked to the door and called for a messenger. Sealing his letter with wax and his crested ring, he handed the letter to the messenger after instruction to deliver the writ with all haste.

Midnight yawned, for a feline she didn’t actually sleep that much. But she was  amused that her new caretaker was definitely a knight with a title, Sir Donovan and she was grateful that he was still trying to get justice for her adopted mother. She stretched trying to wake her tired body only to jump at a cry from the knight “Not again!” Came his distressed voice. Midnight went to investigate finding the knight looking forlorned at what appeared to be an empty food parcel, “my apologies, Midnight, I hope I didn't startle thee, but I am afraid I'll have to leave for a while. Twould seem a little bandit of the rodent variety has once again eaten my food… will you be alright here alone?” he asked crouching down to lightly stroke her head. Midnight purred and meowed out a positive reply as the knight grabbed a satchel and his cloak, “I’ll be back soon, Midnight. Stand guard, little one.” he chuckled as the feline seemed to sit at attention, her posture was that of quite a diligent look out with a smile he left locking the wooden door behind him.


Unknown to him, standing guard was exactly what midnight was doing and it wasn't long till her sensitive ears picked up a slight scampering on the wooden floor  Crouching low, Midnight scanned for the sound. Soon spying a long tail, she stalked forward  her hunting instinct  letting her be silent as she creeped up on the unsuspecting mouse and with only a slight scratch of claws pounced on the rodent thief.


The creature shrieking fearfully in the language only animals might know “No, please, please, oh mighty feline, spare me I have a family!” the little furred  thief  begged Midnight  decided to hear the mouse out  and only lightly kept it contained in her paws “My new caretaker’s food... Why have you been taking so much? You are  small yet are stealing much more than your appetite why?” she asked curiously as to the nature of such bold thievery. “Oh, mighty huntress, I must feed my family. All of the little ones have a ravenous hungry. Mistress Feline, I cannot deny my children. But yes, I take more then we need. I am afraid tis but a habit and a need to steal mistress feline for that am guilty.” the mouse admitted its shame.


Midnight though could see the reason why. She herself would have a hard time denying such food herself. “Good mouse, if I am to remain here and thou needst to continue feeding your children, then you may have a portion of mine own food but steal no longer the food up above. I will not see my new human starve,” midnight warned heavily but continued, “You might be wise to move from such a home. My hunting instincts are hard to deny. I do not wish to hurt your children, so teach them well,” she advised. Cats and mice would always hunt and run from each other, but this feline had seen enough death. The mouse bowed graciously to Midnight upon his release. He would heed her words and find for his family a new home as quickly as he might.


Midnight returned to her seated position by the door waiting for the good knight’s return, wishing in some way that she might tell the knight she had done away with the mouse, but she didn’t quite know how. She heard a rustling at the door, but whomever had approached left as quickly as they came. Puzzled, Midnight cocked her head. Perhaps, she thought, the King had replied to Sir Donovan’s letter and they might be off on an adventure to clear her mother’s name.


It wasn’t until later she heard the approach of another to the door. His scent unmistakable, she knew it was Sir Donovan. She heard him set his parcels upon the ground outside and the rustling of papers. She heard a sigh of despair uttered by the knight and knew the news was not good. After a short pause she heard the knight fumble with the key unlocking the door and retrieving the goods he had set down upon the ground. He opened the door and entered closing the door behind him. He smiled weakly at Midnight, his face wet, and sadly trudged to the other room to place his packages upon the counter.


Midnight  was surprised by the obvious change in mood from for Sir Donovan and quickly followed him, a quiet mewl seeming to ask “what is wrong?” as she purred trying to lighten his dire mood. As she hopped up she stood against him to be closer to his face, licking the salt away from his cheeks a little. Sir Donovan gently scratched midnight behind her ears. He tried desperately to smile but could not manage it as the sadness took him again. He gently hugged the concerned little cat. He soon had prepared a meal for the kitten, “let’s see if you like fish.” he managed to intone without weeping. Midnight was a little torn the scent was heavenly to her but Sir Donovan seemed so lost gaining an idea the feline took a small part of fish in her mouth and dragged it beside the knight, nudging his hand as if offering him some as she went back to the rest of the food being, mindful to save a small portion for the mice. Sir Donovan smiled for the first time since returning home, “Little Midnight, thou offerest me thy own food? So sweet a gesture.” He stroked Midnight for a moment. “Alas I must decline, with gratitude. I fear my appetite hath left me.”


Sir Donovan slowly walked to another room and changed his attire and took to lying down in another larger piece of comfortable furniture which, though considerably larger than her mother’s, Midnight recognized as a bed. He had left the note, crumpled and tear stained upon the counter. Before finishing her meal, Midnight read the letter…


Good Sir Donovan,


It is with mixed emotion I impart this message.

By the grace of the gods, Young Lucius has returned to his family of his own accord. It would seem he was not taken at all, but by the current of the River Longart. Apparently the woman in question had led the children to the river when she learned that they were lost. She had instructed them to walk the river bank to follow the sun and shortly they would find the Bridge of Meagerton. Crossing the river would in fact lead them directly into the village proper. Unfortunately, young Lucius had taken a bad step and fallen into the river, the current sweeping him away. His young sister chased after him which incidentally led her to the bridge. A farmer across the way spotted her and brought her home.

Young Lucius on the other hand was taken quite a distance from the bridge and needed to find his way back, hence his disappearance.

It is with trepidation I must affirm your trusting in the woman’s innocence, her demise was quite truthfully unfortunate.

With the search for young Lucius having been solved it is with regret I inform you the matter is considered to be settled. I ask you at this time to dismiss thought of investigation for it would be for naught.


Sincerely

King Titus


Midnight, too, was filled with sadness as the full weight of this letter became clear to her. She also found her appetite to be greatly reduced for it. The mice would eat well this night as she padded her offering to the mouse and his family. She knew this news greatly affected Sir Donovan as well and so leapt on to the bed with a slight struggle, her form was still rather small and lightly licked his hand she meowed sorrowfully and brushed against his hand offering what comfort she could and asking for some to. Midnight reasoned that the two could help each other through this maybe even as she curled up beside him, a paw holding on to his hand seeming to say “It will be ok... Somehow.” her gaze trailed up to notice the knight was fast asleep. Cautiously she approached his ear and summoning a gift granted by her mother, she whispered “Sweet dreams, Donovan.” in his human tongue, the effect easy to see as the knight seemed less restless in his sleep. Midnight herself curled near his head and slept as soon as she had lay down. It had been a long day and the pair shared another night’s peaceful sleep.


The morning found Sir Donovan rising with the sun. He was rummaging about his little home packing supplies into a backpack as Midnight awoke. “Good morning, Sir Midnight,” he addressed his furry little companion with a smile, “I trust you slept well,” he continued as he resumed filling his pack. Suddenly, he paused and turned his attention to Midnight and eyed her curiously, “did… First thou wish me a good night, Midnight?” He soon chuckled to himself at such a thought. “The voice sounded so real… So close…” he muttered. Midnight meowed a response, she wasn’t quite ready to admit her gift but she was soon curious about the knight packing and pawed the bag, a question in her actions. As if in reply, Donovan explained, “oh, this… Well we have a big day ahead of us so we’re going to need some supplies.” Midnight paused in her actions and tilted her head. “We?” she meowed back, actually fluffing up her cloak lightly.  Was she allowed to follow him out? “Yes, my fine companion, we have a journey ahead and I cannot complete so important a quest without help from my trusty friend.” Donovan replied, not aware he had. The Knight slung the pack across his shoulders, dressed in a tunic and trousers as opposed to his usual armor. His metal boots replaced with soft leather ones. He gently scooped up the kitten and carried her as he walked out the door, through the village and across the bridge into the forest. Midnight could sense his sadness had subsided and he was now invigorated to fulfill this mission.


“You know, little one,” Donovan began to say as they entered the forest, “your mistress was not wholly unknown to me.” His thought seemed to trail afar as he continued. An excited yet curious sort of purr snapped his concentration back. “I had seen her, if only from afar. Her countenance was quite… attractive. I found myself coming to the forest with increasing frequency… That I might be granted yet another glimpse.” He chuckled quietly to himself, “curse my addiction to her, but quite by chance, I had happened upon her once while she did bathe.” Midnight yowled a little  the feeling of jealousy was a little new to her but still why couldn’t she be called pretty? The feline seemed to deflate At the comment, and managed a sigh as the knight continued. “Oh… Suffer not the pangs of jealousy, my dear little Midnight, no beauty on heaven nor Earth could compare to thee, for thine emanates from within as much as from thy outward appearance,” he smiled as he raised her up to kiss her gently between her little ears. Midnight purred loudly she swore she blushed but could you blush as a cat? Needless to say, the kitten was both pleased and slightly embarrassed.


They continued on through the forest, when the sad smell of burning timbers met them like a pungent foe among the trees. Midnight could sense the sorrow welling in Donovan even as he spoke of his fond memories of her mother. “In truth fair lady,” he began, “I’m afraid that I too mistook you for a witch.” Donovan seemed to be speaking not to Midnight, but perhaps to a memory of her mother. Midnight decided to just observe his memories maybe it would help with the guilt her knight was carrying. “I witnessed as one day you didst administer some potion or other to a wounded deer. Your… Sorcery did heal the pitiful creature. Twas then that the question came to light in my mind.” Sir Donovan set Midnight upon the very patch of grass he first found her and slowly approached the charred husk of her former home. “But when I was certain of thy sorcery was when my every thought… Every dream… My every waking moment and time of dreams were filled with images of thy immeasurable beauty. Truly didst thou bewitch me.” A tear slid down his cheek as he knelt by the ruin and set his pack beside him. Midnight did brush against him hoping to lighten his mood but she feared his mind was lost in his memories as she sat standing watch at his side thinking of a way to help ease the knights conscience.


He slowly began stacking rocks from the foundation of the little hovel. “If only I were not such a coward… If only I might have had the courage to meet thee…” Donovan sighed as he artfully placed the stones in such a fashion as to create a smooth pillar of stone, delicately shaping them with a hammer and chisel he produced from his pack. The tower soon was at a height that he no longer needed to kneel, but instead he stood to continue his self imposed penance. Midnight was witness to all the knight did. The building and shaping of the stone structure until it clicked what Donovan was doing  was this his way to atone for some imagined mistake? She couldn't sit by and watch him build such a thing and never be thanked for it. Or could he be… with and idea in mind  Midnight slipped away with the distracted Donovan doubtful to notice her absence  


She slipped into the wooded area until she was comfortable she would not be spotted. With a whispered word her form changed and altered but not completely as her body grew taller... bigger, her ears and tail remained. Her cloak luckily growing to cover her new form as well. Soon the kitten Midnight was no more, in her place stood a raven haired woman with feline features the most prominent was feline ears and a soft silky tail  This was the other form her mother had gifted her. Being a familiar to a witch came with such gifts, now Midnight was going to help her knight as she pulled the cloak tighter her hood hiding her feline qualities as she silently padded bare foot back to the dedicated knight.


Donovan had completed the pillar and now meant to engrave her name upon the stone. Tears filled his eyes as he sobbed, “would that I were not a coward I would have stopped this.” His grief was mounting. “Would that I were not a coward, thou might still be here.” He struggled to see as he raised the chisel to the monument stone and in utter heartbreak he cried out, “my god… I never even knew your name!” And he collapsed to his knees embracing the pillar, sobs racking his body. He shook uncontrollably in despair for this woman he never even met, but he would give any measure of his soul for her return.


Midnight was silent as the strong knight seemed to have been reduced to a defeated man, she softly approached and with parted lips whispered “ Morena… Morena Panther.” She spoke as softly as she could and waited to see if she reached him. Donovan calmed for a moment raising his head to look to Heaven, wiping his eyes upon his sleeve. “That voice… I have heard that voice before,” he whispered. So soft was it once again he thought perhaps it was spoken in his mind. “You wished to know my mother's name, didn't you Sir Donovan?” Midnight spoke just as soft, afraid of the knights reaction. She was shaking a little in her cloak only her mother had seen her in this form… how would the knight react? She didn’t know but still she would stay here and help honor bound as she now was.


Slowly Sir Donovan stood and turned to face the source of the voice. Before him stood the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. Her features were exquisite. She closely resembled the woman he was erecting the memorial for, and yet even moreso. Her exotic, almost feline, eyes were hypnotic in their beauty.

Her every feature was perfection to his eyes. “Midnight?” he whispered in shock, “How? what sorcery is this?” Midnight played with the fabric of her cloak a little “umm…Yes I am... I was.. Or maybe I am mother’s..I mean morena’s familiar.. Every familiar can take two forms animal..and not so animal…” she spluttered out her explanation as she stared at her bare feet. “Not so animal,” Donovan asked in utter confusion… His mind struggling to grasp any of this.


He noticed two small peaks beneath the hood. Curiosity getting the better of him he reached for her hood, “may I?” He requested. mIdnight  did blush at that she couldn't help it, but nodded her consent “if..it helps.” she muttered out. Slowly his hands lowered the hood revealing her two feline ears. He stared wide eyed, his surprise quickly turning to elation. “How utterly adorable,” he replied with a smile. He was about to ask if any other feline features also remained but Midnight had revealed a short section of her tail from beneath her cloak shyly. Donovan laughed aloud, deepening Midnight's blush. “Be not embarrassed… milady,” Donovan comforted her as he bowed lightly, “such remarkable traits serve only to enhance thy already immeasurable beauty.” Midnight smiled shyly her delicate hands playing with her silky tail, such compliments made the young woman feel very warm. Her blush heating her skin much “I… Thank you… Donovan..” she managed to reply.


Playfully, Donovan eyed her curiously. “Any other feline features I should know about?” Midnight thought about it before shaking her head “I... I don’t think so...” she informed hesitantly. “You don't sound so sure, milady,” Donovan continued to tease.” I mean I... I didn't really check..  I mean... I...” Midnight was blushing so hard her entire face was bright red the girl was rather frazzled. Donovan saw the situation was embarrassing her, though he could not fathom why. She was exquisite, in every way, “perhaps... I should not pursue a response, milady. I apologize for causing embarrassment.” Midnight decided to just admit the current problem “umm… It's just… I’ve only really... Got your cloak...” she admitted the reason as she looked down at her bare feet. “Oh…” Donovan replied quietly, blushing and somewhat embarrassed for having asked, “I… did not mean to impose.”


Donovan fidgeted about nervously as they both stood in silence for a moment, “perhaps we should get you some proper clothing then, milady Midnight?” she nodded her gaze still on her feet  she turned to take a step only to quietly yelp at the rough stone her bare sole  touched, ”We... might have another problem... I can’t change back so soon and the… path is kinda rough...“ she felt foolish maybe transforming now wasn’t the wisest action but she still believed it was just.


“Then I shall carry thee from the forest, milady,” Donovan replied quickly, “Twould not only be the least I might do to repay your kindness, but also twould be my honor to do so as thou hast carried my spirit lo these last few days.” Midnight  smiled a light blush on her cheeks “I... Thank you knight. And it was my pleasure to do so. I better put my hood back up, no?” she asked gesturing to her ears. “If it would please you, milady, “ Donovan replied bowing, “Tis settled then.”


Donovan returned his backpack to his shoulders. “A moment, though,” he replied quietly as he completed the monument which read, “Here lies the honorable Morena Panther, a woman of virtue taken before her time. Never to be forgotten.” He turned to Midnight and asked, ”Would that I might truly do her justice… dost this suffice?” The woman smiled and embraced the knight, “mother would have loved it.. Thank you, from both of us.” she quietly spoke a single tear falling from her face. Effortlessly Sir Donovan swept Midnight into his arms and the two made their way from the forest. They vowed to visit Morena whenever chance would allow and lived happily together for many years. There was always a touch of magic around the pair from that day on. It was fair to say there was a witch looking out for them .




The End.


© 2017 LeighAndJeff


Author's Note

LeighAndJeff
comments wanted :) (i do not own image)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

99 Views
Added on March 1, 2017
Last Updated on March 17, 2017
Tags: Midnight, Knight

Author

LeighAndJeff
LeighAndJeff

Schuylkill Haven, PA



About
This is a split account for both Leigh Hodgens and Jeff Margavage. Leigh and myself have been writing for over a year together with a most unique arrangement. I guess it isn't often people who have ne.. more..

Writing