System Error: Episode Two

System Error: Episode Two

A Story by LeighAndJeff
"

Artemis And Chase are finally on patrol, dealing with the typical duties of Agents from S.A.P.D.7, until a call about a truly dangerous threat rears its ugly head. (some strong language)

"

System Error: Episode Two

By Leigh Hodgens and Jeff Margavage


System Error.

Reboot……

Background Data Fault

…..

… REINSTALL NEEDED

Searching for missing files...80%

Status…..Active.


Name Cybernetic Humanoid Attack Specialist Eve. Chase. (Evelyn Chase.)

Age  Was created 6 months ago Physical Age 25 mental age is various

Gender Female Android. Marital status.Classified. .

Years on the Force None. Highest Rank achieved Rookie.

Current Rank Rookie Disciplinary Actions None..


Certifications Search and Destroy tactics,  Rescue aid. CQC skill. Proficient in combat of various levels Weapon certification in Pistols specifically in dual wielding. Advanced sight built in night vision and Hacking skills. Ability to take over rogue AI and


Hidden talent has the ability to override her coding if deemed necessary.


Background:  a cybertronic humanoid its mission to stop crime, profile cases, retrieve suspects, go undercover, and observe human interaction  Chase has a few … glitches in her programming causing her to behave more human than other models. She’s designed to be approachable and so looks very human with faux skin and quite the beauty but has two features that give her status as a non-human: 1) Her eyes glow slightly, even though sunglasses can hide it, and 2) When cut she bleeds silver fluid which is actually comprised of thousands of nanomites repairing the damage done .


“For the last and final time, Artemis, You can’t keep making me waiting behind while you get to blow up god knows what….what if something happens? .The Chief would have my a*s you know!” Chase tried to get through to her partner. The pair had been investigating a smuggling ring and had finally found what was the base of operation. Only for Artemis to declare that it was safer for him to neutralise the enemy himself.

This behavior from Artemis had stemmed from a series of rather unpredictable and unseen events during a low risk arrest, Chase had ended up shot three times from a low level thug. One in the arm, one in the leg and one in her shoulder. And it didn't seem to matter that she had healed the injuries before the day was out. Artemis was not allowing her on any high risk missions until he said so. Regardless of what the Chief and Chase threatened to do to him.


“Remember that whole spiel about ‘trusting each other with our lives’?” Artemis replied into his comm. Chase groaned, her head hitting the desk she was metaphorically tied to “How can I freaking forget… you have repeated that particular speech….twenty times. Have you heard of overkill Arty?” “Well… trust me,” Artemis replied with what even sounded like a cavalier grin. Suddenly the report of an enormous blast over powered the comm system.


“Arty?..Artemis? ...Artemis!” Chase was getting increasingly worried at the silence. “D****t, Artemis! Answer the comm or I’m sending everything on your desktop to the cyber crimes unit!” she threatened hoping it would provoke an answer.


“Oh, don’t get your knickers in a twist, Chase,” Artemis replied, “Everything is under control here. The rats abandoned ship. No one is home… but then again ‘home’ is a crater now. At least we know they won’t be running shipments out of this place for a good long time. Returning to base, don’t wait up dear. Artemis, out.” Chase grouched “You are so not cute..” she snipped. Muttering under her breath as she returned to her paperwork. “He’s already clicked off, you know,” Chief Barlow snickered behind Chase. “It still feels good to say it,” she replied with a half hearted grin.


“I’m glad to see you two are getting along. It’s good for him to have a partner he can count on,” the chief replied with a smile. “So what do you think of him? For real. On the record.” Chase smirked, “you know the temptation to give him a crap review is great right now, Sir.” “I want the truth, Officer Chase. Just an assessment,” the chief asked in a very no nonsense manner.  Chase responded to the tone appropriately and sat up thinking over her brief time with Artemis. “His record is out of my league to try and replicate, He’s a dedicated cop, Loyal a little reckless but it comes from a good place...Overprotective of me ...but I am the first partner he’s had so I allow it. I’m still in awe of him, Sir. He’s a very tough act to follow even for me but as a partner when he isn’t chaining me to a desk. I wouldn’t want another one for the rest of my career.” she replied as truthfully as she could.

“Well, I know you are aware of his service record. His career has been pretty lonely,” the chief replied solemnly, “The only thing bigger than his attitude and courage is his heart. And it has been broken a lot. Trust isn’t an easy thing for Artemis. I’m just about the only friend he has. Me and his old man were friends for a long time.right before he passed away, he asked me to keep an eye on Artemis and make sure he was ok. Hard to do while I’m chained here.” The chief smiled as he glanced at Chase, “so believe me, I know exactly how you feel. Off the record, Arty has always been the son I never had.” Chase leaned across the desk  tapping her hand on the chiefs “Hey, He thinks of you as a father figure you know. I can tell you two sync together so well, like family. Makes me kinda envious really.” Chase admitted  flashing a small smile. “ Don’t tell him i said this but...It’s kinda endearing I suppose. To see him drop his guard a little..” Chase trailed off obviously visualizing the very few times she had seen Artemis relaxed. He always seemed to have a soft smile and appeared to have little cares in the world. It was a very different side to him she usually saw. Granted Artemis still teased and joked around with her but it was different when he truly let his guard down. He didn’t seem so burdened.


The hours went by  slowly  Chase one of the few officers  still on shift. She had about thirty minutes till it ended but she was fighting a losing battle. “Five minutes… then I'll be fine.” she reasoned  resting her head on her arms. Her eyes drifting closed only opening them upon hearing what sounded like Artemis. “Chase? What are you still doing here?” Artemis whispered to his partner upon returning to the precinct. She had fallen asleep at her terminal. “Go home, partner.”Chase barely budged instead  replying with “Mnn Five more minutes….” she sleepily mumbled curling into herself a little more.


“I just dropped by to get my stuff, let me drive you home,” Artemis nudged his sleeping partner. “Stop poking…” Chase groaned  but finally opened one eye  peering at her partner.”When did you get back?” “Just now, kiddo. Come on. Your shift ended over two hours ago,” Artemis reminded Chase, even though she was a cyborg, she was assigned shifts just like a human detective and was expected to go home and sleep like one. “Right.Right.  I’m up I’m awake..” Chase stretched. Trying to wake herself up a little as she slowly came back to full function. “I see you're just fine then.. No trouble with creating that crater.” she stated as she shut down her terminal grabbing her coat and heading the wrong way out of the offices. “Chase… Over here, you're heading for the holding cells,” Arty called out. ”Oh,” Chase Flushed a little embarrassed as she wandered over to her partner wobbling in place a little as she followed him out of the precinct.


Artemis fired up his car. They drove only a short while before his scanner barked to life, “all units, 10-66 at 128 Patterson, three subjects of multiple ethnicity. Suspects are considered to be heavily armed and considered extremely hostile” Artemis grabbed his scanner, “This is unit 9A, nearest vicinity, ETA under one minute. Agents Corbyn and Chase responding.” “Acknowledged, unit 9A. Are you not off duty?” “That is correct, dispatch but I won't let these animals shoot up my city, off duty or not.” There was a short pause, “Affirmative, Artemis, proceed with caution. Backup on route.”


“Gotta make a short stop, kid, shots fired,” Artemis informed his almost napping passenger. Chase bolted awake at the wording her demeanor  slight shifting “Where and how many?” she asked a sort of combat mode mildly activating giving her system a jolt of adrenaline. Thankfully due to her cyborg status she could over ride sleeping sessions with a code. As she reached for her gear equipping her Plasma pistol checking her ammo as Artemis drove weaving around the traffic. “Three suspects, heavily armed, and… Just up ahead,” Artemis replied pulling over. Drawing his own weapons s as he exited his vehicle. “We got a plan?” she asked as she brought her pistol to bear her guard up. Just then screams erupted as several shots were fired. “You stay here, I’m going in. As soon as backup arrives you get in the car and…” Chase shot Artemis a look that could have stopped a charging rhino, cutting off his words immediately. “Artemis... You need to stop this. Now is not the time for you to play overprotective partner. You need a second pair of eyes. Now get your head in the game and treat me as a partner not a Damn civilian.” Chase stated firmly her voice strong.as she stared down Artemis arguments against her. It took a few seconds but Artemis eventually blew out a breath a universal sign of giving in.


“You’re right. I’m sorry. I’ve kind of been an a*s,” Artemis replied. His gaze flicked up then he suddenly dove forward tackling Chase. Several shots whizzing past them as they fell. They hit the ground hard, Chase only then finally heard the shots being fired. “How the.?” A little confused as to how Artemis had heard those shots coming. “D****t, Get to cover!” Chase cursed as she dashed for cover a nano second behind Artemis. “There goes the element of surprise... Any ideas?” Chase thought furiously before inspiration struck but she doubted Artemis would agree. Perhaps it was time to show her partner exactly what she was capable of. “Artemis. On three, we split up. You go left. I got right  we meet in the middle.” She laid out her plan Quickly already seeing Artemis was not liking it. The same time she was selecting a burst mode on her pistol getting ready to time her movements. “ Argue with me about it later. One, two, Three!” She shouted timing her movements to mere milliseconds. Artemis was stunned, leaving him to witness his partner’s skills. Chase sprinted hard to the right drawing fire with her. She returned fire in burst mode a low groan coming from a hit party. Dropping low Chase dashed from cover to cover playing distraction for Artemis to find and rescue the civilians trapped in the crossfire. Artemis would  have to trust that Chase could handle the pressure and stay mobile enough without his help.


Artemis, seeing what Chase was doing sprinted into the darkened doorway to the building the shots were coming from. Here is his element of “live or die by your wits”, Artemis was fully aware of everything. To normal eyes it would be black as pitch, to him it was merely “a bit harder to make things out in perfect detail”. He stalked to the stairs fully aware the shots were emanating from the floor above. SIlently he ascended the stairs guns drawn, checking the first door he came to he could hear the sound of people cowering inside, safe for the moment. As he turned the corner he caught a single glimpse of an armed man sneaking about in a room with windows facing the streets below. Like a panther he approached. The rundown apartment building was apparently occupied by squatters, which made their lives no less valuable to Artemis.


Standing outside the doorway he quickly peeked inside, one of the gunmen was down thanks to a well placed shot by his partner. The other two gunmen were also in the room staring out the window apparently looking for him and Chase. The fact that they weren’t firing led him to believe Chase had found cover. Right now he realized these two were possibly more dangerous than ever. They were now the hunted and they knew it. He knew if they spotted any motion outside they would fire and they didn’t care who it was. Suddenly he heard approaching sirens and saw the lights of squad cars approaching, illuminating the room. Time was running out. If he didn’t act fast the safety of the approaching officers was in serious jeopardy.


With a leap he rolled into the room getting a single shot off on the shooter on the right and lining a second shot up on the shooter on the left, his foot on the gun arm of the fallen shooter. The fallen shooter cried out in pain while the thug he shot slumped to the floor like a fallen house of cards. Now it was two on one and he had the last shooters full attention.his aim steadied on the villains right eye, just as he had hit the criminal who fell. “Drop it or I drop you,” Artemis warned. The last shooter turned quickly revealing a small child whom he was using as a human shield. “YOU drop it a*****e or I splatter this kids brains like a tomato,” the vile criminal replied. “I’m not here to negotiate,” Artemis coolly replied, “I’m here to take you out. You have to the count of five. Two...” The criminal hoisted the child up into Artemis’s line of fire. Artemis was unphased, “Three.” His message appeared to be ignored as the shooter jabbed the gun tighter against the child’s head. The crying of the child was torturous to Artemis. He hated when these b******s threatened children. Artemis raised the barrel of his gun to show the criminal he was backing down, the criminal grinning slightly turned his gun on Artemis.

In the space of a heartbeat a steely strong pair of slender arms thrust into the window from behind the criminal and grabbed his head twisting it with a horrifying crunch. “Five,” Chase stated as the criminal dropped to the floor his head nearly spun 180 degrees and she stepped through the open window to stand over her kill like a lioness, illuminated by the streetlights and patrol cars below her long dark hair flowing in the breeze like a mane..

Artemis smiled at his partner’s bravado, holstering his guns. How she managed to climb the rickety fire escape silently in mere seconds perplexed even the highly trained Artemis, but he couldn’t possibly question her prowess and skill. It was times like this that he saw a bit of himself in his partner, and he honestly wasn’t sure if he was proud or feared for her. The child ran from the room into the arms of patrolmen who had entered the building. His parents there, too, nodded thanks to Artemis and eyed his female partner with respect.


Within moments, the patrolmen had apprehended the surviving shooter paramedics were soon to arrive to take care of any civilians harmed in their rampage. Two civilians died before Artemis and Chase had arrived and it was surmised there could have been many many more deaths as the three were members of an odd cult that believed the poor should be weeded out and eradicated.


Chase did slip back into her more approachable personality the combat mode that had been activated turning off. Leaving Chase a little drained but still immensely proud of both herself and Artemis for completing the mission.“Well that was eventful” Chase mused out loud. Glancing at her partner as she scuffed her shoe across the concrete. The pair were hanging around the scene as was protocol. Answering  the lingering questions when and how it was  needed. Artemis chuckled his voice comforting to Chase. “Eventful.. That’s one way to think about it.” he replied hinting at chase's personality change when she was in combat mode, she almost felt like a different person. Coughing lightly Chase uncomfortable with the fact changed the topic a little. At the same time burying her worries of what would happen if she was in fact  stuck in the mode for a longer time. “That was pretty impressive back there….and thanks  for trusting me.” Thanked Chase nudging the man slightly as they both leaned on the wall of the building. “Not bad yourself kid..” Artemis announced after a minute or two the pair sharing a small moment of friendship before being called upon to give their report. The pair got back into Artemis’s car once the formalities had concluded.


After driving a short while, a question that had been on Artemis’s mind could no longer be silenced. “Chase, can I ask you a serious question?” Artemis asked sheepishly. “A serious one? Kind of unlike you… alright  shoot,” chase replied a little curious. “When you took that guy out… did you… ‘feel’ anything? Like… did you get an adrenaline rush? Or feel remorse? Or anything like that?” Artemis asked cautiously. “I mean… you just ended a guys life.” Chase winced a little at the wording she had hoped to avoid such questions but if Artemis was to be her partner she would have to be truthful. “The way I am sort of… blocks me from feeling anything when in combat or similar dangers. It’s only after the fact that I can truly feel anything about it. I don’t like killing. I do wish for other options. But… sometimes the only option you have to save someone else. Is to lose a part of you.” Chase softly replied her tone heavy  with remorse, clashing heavily with the same woman who stood over her kill like a trained predator. “I’m sorry,” Artemis consoled Chase seeing her obvious distaste for what had happened, “I didn’t mean to make you uncomfortable. But I can’t fault your logic. I feel the same way. For me when a situation like that arises, I also have to make the tough decision as to whether or not I could take another person’s life. But I don’t have the luxury of shutting it off. I feel that remorse even before I pull the trigger.” Artemis fell silent for a moment. “I guess what I’m trying to say is, I… I kind of envy your programming. But when it comes to protecting the people who can’t defend themselves… I do what needs to be done. Just like you.” there was silence for a while, both of the agents thinking to themselves before Chase decided to speak up, “Don’t envy being able to shut it off… then there is a chance it won’t turn back on.”Chase spoke softly  admitting her fear of being completely closed off.


“I can’t imagine that ever happening, Chase,” Artemis replied with a smile, “You’re more human than most people I know. You’re pretty amazing in my book. I’m still amazed you climbed that s****y old fire escape without him hearing you.” Chase chuckled lowly flushing a little at the compliment, “Who knows maybe he was partly deaf?” she joked as she reclined back in her seat, a bright smile on her lips. “Maybe it’s because I didn’t climb up,” her smile becoming a smirk. Artemis was puzzled. “But then how did you…” “I actually leaped to the roof and came down,” Chase replied with a grin. “Wait… what?” Artemis nearly drove off the road staring at Chase in awe, ”for real?” Chase laughed sweetly, “No, I’m sorry. I was just joking. Was it funny? Your reaction certainly was.” Artemis was almost glad she was joking. “Holy crap,” Artemis laughed, “you really had me going. I knew you were f*****g awesome but if you could leap to the roof I think I’d just go home and stay there.” Chase giggled and patted Artemis’s shoulder, “Aw... we couldn’t have that. Who would give the Chief strokes at the dangerous s**t you pull?” Chase smiled  smoothly covering a laugh. The pair drove on for a while but then suddenly the scanner sprang to life once again. “ “All units, 10-66 at the 2000 block between Mill Street and Dunn, One subject. 48 year old Caucasian male. Suspect Identified as Special Officer Clifford Winch. Suspect is heavily armed and considered extremely hostile”


Artemis slammed on his brakes and his car slid to a stop. He roughly grabbed the scanner in reply, “Dispatch, repeat that last code?” “All units, 10-66 at the 2000 block between Mill Street and Dunn…” she began. “No, the identification,” Artemis interrupted. “Suspect positively Identified as Special Officer Clifford Winch,” she responded. “That can’t be right,” Artemis replied in shock, “Special Officer Clifford Winch has been dead for years… I… I was there when he died.” Dispatch went silent for a moment. “Special Agent Artemis Corbyn?” came a familiar voice to the scanner. “M… Major Dantt?” Artemis’s head was swimming. “What the hell is going on here?” “Yes, Artemis, it’s me,” the Major replied, “I can’t explain what’s going on… but it IS Clifford, and he’s blasting the HELL out of the 2000 block.”

Artemis was shaken to his core. “I didn’t want to tell you this… but…” the Major paused. “But what, goddamn it?” Artemis replied angrily into the scanner. “He’s calling you out…” the major concluded quietly, “I respectfully ask that you stand down on this, Major Corbyn… don’t make me make it an order. The National Guard is en route to intercept.”


“Sorry, Major… your signal is breaking up… I’m… a… tunnel…” Artemis replied, pretending to have a problem with his comm unit, firing his car back into action. “Damn it,” replied the Major, “Do Not engage that’s an” Artemis pulled the scanner from the console and crushed it in his bare hand. “Jeepers… they just don’t make anything reliable anymore. To bad I didn’t catch that last bit.”


Artemis slid the car to a stop in front of Delightful Donuts, a frequent hangout for Officers and agents alike. “Out, Chase… please,” Artemis asked quietly, “You’re not ready for this and I can’t endanger you. Besides I’m pretty sure this is going to wind up getting me into all sorts of trouble and I will NOT tarnish your record.” Chase glanced at artemis before replying, “Last I had checked I was your partner… maybe you can drive me home?…I do live close to Dunn, ”chase slyly offered with a slight wink.


Artemis shook his head in defiance. “Hey, hot head… are you under orders,” Chase asked inquisitively with an annoyed look. “Well… no I,” Artemis began. “Well then neither am I. Now drive me home, dummy,” Chase shot back. Artemis smirked a little, “I guess I’m not losing an argument to a cyber-partner am I?” “Not a chance…” Chase concluded as Artemis took off again. Trying to lighten the mood a little Artemis muttered, “You know… you’re really cute when you’re angry.” A quick look at chase revealed a dark blush but as for a reply  it was lost to the roar of the engine.


Within moments they spotted the flames and explosions that Cliff was causing. He wasn’t even trying to hide. He was standing directly in the middle of the road. His eyes fixed on Artemis’s car as it approached. Without flinching he raised an enormous rifle towards the car as Artemis slammed on the brakes.


“Artemis… out of the car… NOW,” Clifford bellowed in rage. Artemis looked to his partner, “Listen, for once please do as I say… stay in the car until I give a signal. Please, Chase… I’m begging you.” Chase grimaced, glowering darkly but sighed after a while, “Fine… don’t do anything stupid though or no deal.” she warned keeping an eye on Clifford.. “Tell you what, PARTNER, if it makes you feel better, train the biggest gun you’ve got on him the whole time. But I need to ask you a favor. I want you to record EVERY word of what he has to say starting as soon as I get out of the car, OK?” Frowning a little Chase inclined her head, “Just.. be careful… he might not be the same Clifford you knew,” she advised softly but was soon equipping her pistol but altering its function. “And yes I will be training a gun on him …” she snipped still unhappy but obeying his words.


Artemis slowly exited the car, “Ok… Cliff? What are you doing here?” Clifford lowered the rifle back to his shoulder. “Well well well… long time no see,” Clifford replied, “Just like old times, eh?” Artemis had his hand on his holster but didn’t draw his weapon. “Oh for God’s sake,” Clifford snorted, “Really, Arty? We both know you’re not going to shoot me.” Artemis moved his hand from his holster to raised in front of him. In Artemis’s mind he could virtually hear Chase grumbling about her disapproval. “You’re right, buddy. I wouldn’t,” Artemis replied. “But…” Clifford paused a moment, “I can’t say the same for the cutie in your car.” With that Artemis glanced back at Chase, “Wait wait wait… she’s not going to shoot you, either… I promise,” Artemis stuttered. “Oh… that must kill you,” Clifford giggled, “Making a promise you can’t keep.” There was a tense pause, “I know she’s got a Gammering 7.08 aimed straight at my right eye, just below the dash board. Oh… she upped the charge to a 10.6. She’s a sly one.” Artemis stood baffled. How could Clifford possibly know that? Chase refused to show her own surprise.


Artemis had to try to diffuse this as quickly as possible. The National Guard would be here any moment. For some reason he knew Clifford wanted to talk, their arrival would only ruin the chance of that happening. Artemis tried to calm his tone, choosing his next words very very carefully, “Cliff… how are you even here? I saw you die. I was at your funeral. I was the unlucky b*****d who got to hand the flag to your mother Delores.” Clifford didn’t reply right away but Artemis knew he had an answer. “Listen, I don’t have much time, Air support from the Guard is less than two minutes out.” Artemis strained to hear the choppers, but couldn’t. How could Clifford know so much about what was going on.


“I did die, Arty. But the Government… they’re up to something. I… I don’t know what, but they’re making me do things,” Clifford stammered. “Cliff, let me help you,” Artemis pleaded. “There’s my best friend in the whole world,” Clifford replied a silver tear running down his face, “Up against impossible odds and still trying to help the ones who can’t help themselves.” Artemis’s blood ran cold… he had a terrible feeling where this was leading. “Clifford started again, “Arty they did something to me… they made me… they made me like her,” Clifford gestured to Chase in the car. “I can’t just do what I’m told… christ, I had to get electrocuted just to break protocol and come find you. They make me hurt people Arty… I don’t want to hurt anyone anymore.”


Artemis begged his friend, “Listen, Cliff, you being here…  it’s giving me a second chance to save you… let me.” Clifford paused and looked to the sky in the direction of the approaching Assault choppers, “They’re not coming to arrest me, Arty… you want to save me? Stop Cryodyne… they did this to me for the higher ups.” With that Clifford tossed a data disk to Artemis just as Artemis reached to grab the disk, Clifford muttered, “Goodbye, old friend,” and turned the rifle on himself… blowing his own head off in a horrific spray.


Artemis cried out as he ran to his falling friend. The data disk falling to the ground and skittering to the car. As Artemis approached he noticed that Clifford was more machine than man… organic systems intertwined with cybernetic enhancements… but one thing was for certain… the beeping sound emanating from the body was definitely a count down. A self destruct. Artemis turned to run seeing that Chase had exited the car to retrieve the data disk. That fact elated Artemis, but he once again had to tackle his partner, but this time he could only pray it was enough.


Just as Artemis slammed into Chase, Clifford’s body self destructed. The concussion of the blast threw Artemis and Chase well passed the car and actually had moved the car itself, nearly standing it on end and rolling over. The majority of the block was leveled in this fashion. As Artemis lost consciousness, he remembered his best friend Clifford always joking about, “When I go… I want to go out with a bang. A big one!” Artemis could only smile that his friend actually got his wish.


It was several days before Artemis opened his eyes again. The first thing he saw was his partner, Officer Evelyn Chase, asleep in a chair beside him literally holding his hand. Every inch of him hurt worse than any pain he could remember. “Welcome back, you dumbass…” Chief Bronlow muttered quietly as he was just entering the room. “You gave us all a hell of a scare there… especially this one.” The chief explained stroking Chase’s hair gently.” You know she wouldn’t leave your side… at all? She took her personal leave time just to stay with you.” Artemis tried grabbing blindly for a drink of water that he really hoped was on the nightstand next to him. The Chief handed him the glass and helped him take a short sip. Artemis could barely lift his head much less his hand to drink. “How long was I out?” Artemis struggled to inquire. “Today is day four,” the Chief replied somberly. “Doctors say there’s no permanent damage but your head will probably be pretty scrambled for a few days.”


“Remember what happened? I guess you don’t even know how you got here, do you?” the Chief asked pretty sure of the answer. Artemis indicated he didn’t. “Well… after the blast, your partner here ran a scan on you and when she was sure she wouldn’t do you any harm by moving you… she picked you up and ran you here,” the chief chuckled, “No bullshit she got you HERE before the medics showed up at the blast site.” Artemis tried to smile as he glanced at his sleeping partner. “I’ve never heard of a partner doing that before. You’re a lucky man, Arty,” the chief smiled. “You’re telling me,” Artemis whispered as he tightened his grip on Chase’s hand a little, inadvertently causing her to stir. “Five...five more minutes.” Chase muttered, a single blue eye opening, meeting Artemis gaze “You woke up...thank goodness” she sighed with obvious relief before smiling a little. “How about next time you don’t go all hero when I can actually take the damn hit?” She somehow kept her smile but the almost overwhelming guilt and worry was clear in her voice even as silver like tears gather and threatened to fall.


“Well, Chase… I don’t mean to argue, but actually… that blast would have probably done you in. The fact that Arty went limp and absorbed the blast was the only thing that saved you two. Your rigid frame probably would have been irreparably damaged by that one. Besides… I’ve never known Arty to NOT take the hit to protect someone. If you’re going to be his partner, I guess you’re going to have to live with that,” the Chief explained, “I KNOW you’re not going to like it, but I can’t imagine Artemis is going to change any time soon.” Chase huffed muttering under her breath about headstrong males and the dangers or heroic traits but did concede to the Chief’s point. “Well… at least try to avoid serious injury then...idiot.” she stated with a smile stretching a bit as she had been prone and needed a little movement. “Yeah we should probably let Mister Artemis here get some rest,” the Chief stated matter of factly, “besides… Officer Chase, don’t you have to go shopping for a gown or something?” Artemis gave Chase a puzzled look. Chase though was growling a strong glare directed to the chief. “I am not going.”She firmly denied with her glowing gaze. “The chief is trying to get me to go to the police ball… thing. I have said and will continue to say, No.” The chief sighed. “It’s mandatory you know Chase. Its exposure so everyone can see how you fit into the force. My hands are tied.” The Chief pleaded, for Chase to see some reason. “You mean chance for them to pet the robo chick. Forget it! If I have to go I’ll be in a damn uniform not a godforsaken  dress!” The pair continued to argue like an old couple the back and forth amusing if a bit odd. Artemis merely shook his head smiling. He laid his head back staring at the ceiling until they finished up with their bickering.

“Oh, Artemis, I’m sorry. We can discuss this later, back at the precinct, Officer Chase,” the Chief griped eyeing Chase with frustration, “you just rest up and we’ll see you when the doc says you can come back.” The Chief started to leave and so did Chase, until Artemis reached out feebly and grabbed her arm. Artemis gestured for Chase not to say anything while the chief was still there, “hey, partner, would you mind giving me a hand… I gotta… You know, use the bathroom.” Suddenly Artemis blushed, “wait… That sounded really wrong… I mean could you just help me TO the bathroom… I…” Chase cut him off with a hand to his mouth, “I get it, relax,” Chase managed to reassure that all was well but both of the partners could easily match each other's shades of red. The spotlight on Chase’s cheeks was more pronounced as she came to Artemis side keeping her grip gentle as she helped the injured man up. “Oh… Hey would you mind closing the door… Bad enough you have to be in here,” Artemis griped, “don’t want to be giving the whole world a free show.” By now, Artemis’s face rivaled Chase’s for redness. “I’ll uh… See you back at the precinct, Chase,” the Chief politely backed out of the room and closed the door.

“Christ I never thought he would leave,” Artemis sighed, quickly covering himself with his sheets again. “Sorry about that, Chase,” Artemis sighed in frustration, “if that makes it back to the precinct we’ll never hear the end of it, but I needed to talk to you in private.” Chase sighed with a slight smile “Maybe work on your excuses… or just say you needed to talk to me in private,” rolling her eyes at the roundabout way he had gotten them alone. “The data disk… You still have it? The one Clifford gave me?” Artemis whispered. Through all that had happened, he still wanted nothing more than to help his friend that even now he knew to be very dead… Again.


“Yes I have the data disk… but, ” Chase looked nervous as she whispered a reply, eyes scanning around the room. “Now might not be right to… discuss it.” she winced hoping he would catch her hints. Artemis pulled her close in a hug, “thanks for everything, partner,” he announced very loudly, but then whispered in her ear, “perfect… Just keep it safe and hidden until I'm out of here.” Chase bit her lip before  hugging the man back keeping her voice low as she made it look like she was embracing him in thanks. “This place is watched Arty… you need to check out… soon.” she finished the hug with a watery smile that was both scared and trying to be comforting.


As Chase prepared to leave, Artemis couldn't resist the temptation, “Yes, Officer Chase,” he announced just as she opened the door, “that was in fact the best personal massage I’ve ever gotten,” he called out with a devilish grin and a wink to his partner, knowing full well it drew the attention of the two nurses at the nurses station directly across from his room. With a glare that promised pay back Chase adopted a more put out tone. “Well at least someone enjoyed it...oh and newsflash, it wasn't my hand,” Chase smirked wickedly and with a wink was gone.


Artemis grinned broadly. He was impressed his partner could fire back as fast with words as she could her gun. Artemis laid his head back, comforted in the knowledge only he and Chase knew anything about the disk. He was also impressed she kept the secret and also took the initiative to check it out. He could tell by her reaction that the data was just as dangerous as he expected it to be...


Somewhere in a darkened room a shadowy figure took off his earphones and looks up to a figure nearby. “She has the disk… Apparently she has viewed the contents as well,” the figure stated coldly. “Hmm… That's not good,” the second figure replied remorsely, “her apartment is clean. She appears to be as smart as we were afraid she was. Time to move to phase two… That data can never come to light.”


The second figure reached into his jacket pocket to make a phone call…


Fin for now...

System error..

Data disk input

Corrupted data

Begin repairing

20%...








© 2017 LeighAndJeff


Author's Note

LeighAndJeff
comments wanted :) ( i do not own image)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

109 Views
Added on March 1, 2017
Last Updated on March 1, 2017
Tags: Crime, Drama, Cyborg, intrigue

Author

LeighAndJeff
LeighAndJeff

Schuylkill Haven, PA



About
This is a split account for both Leigh Hodgens and Jeff Margavage. Leigh and myself have been writing for over a year together with a most unique arrangement. I guess it isn't often people who have ne.. more..

Writing