The Darkest Light

The Darkest Light

A Story by LeighAndJeff
"

Music is food of the soul.. but what would you pay to have that gift?

"

The Darkest Light.  By Leigh Hodgens


Illuminated by the full moon she took a breath, looking over the edge of the cliff with only a small shiver of fear. She was dressed in her best gown the black satin sheen glinting off moonlight. Her long raven hair tickling the back of her bare back. Long slender arms as pale as the very moon surrounding her gracing her with an unearthly beauty.


In her right hand, she carried her prized possession. Her beloved violin. The source of her success and fame, Belladonna Echo was a well know name to the people in the city. Her name twinkling like stars on the billboard above. The city greeting lost souls in from the dark to come be enchanted by the raven-haired beauty and her melodic sound. Most would never guess that she was once just a farmer's daughter with no future to speak of, till a tall dark stranger with a peculiar smile made her an offer.


He would grant her the ability to make a future for her and her family. She would never grow poor or be hungry again, all she had to do was owe him a favour to call on when he desired. Being the naive girl she was she took the stranger's offer and in a flash, a violin was gifted to her. As soon as she touched the instrument her once tanned skin grew pale and her short brown tresses grew long and black as the night. She being a child at the time ran to her daddy scared but a small touch of excitement too. She did play the violin bewitching all and charming their money out of their pockets but she didn’t take advantage. The success and fame were pushed on her by her father and friends.


Her mother would weep from heaven if she could see how much the man she loved changed. The once caring and warm family man to a slave driver eager to put his daughter's talents on display. It was because of this she was here alone, in her best gown. The full moon her background and her violin about to play. It was then that she sensed a presence behind her. It was the same tall dark man that once gave her her beloved violin. The days seemed to have never passed for him, he was the same as he had been in her childhood. She, however, had changed and had grown into a successful if unhappy young women


“The years have been very kind to you stranger,” she spoke with a velvety tone. Another gift from the violin she suspected. “They have been most kind to you, my dear.” The man replied with the same peculiar smile. “I assume you're here to claim your favour..” The young women stared back boldly. She didn’t fear this man though she suspected she should.”That I am.The favour I sought has changed from what it once was … Once I sought your soul but now I desire something different.” The man spoke with a seductive tone, slick and rich but with a dark undertone enough to set you on edge. “What pray tell do you wish of me now,” She replied with a slight stutter.


“You. My dear...” The man confessed, walking closer to capture the young women’s lips in a deep and drowning kiss. She was powerless to resist. If she moved back she would topple over the edge of the cliff. Accepting the kiss he brought his arms around her, dipping her back then raising her like the end of some dance. His eyes sparkled with desire. The want in him almost a physical thing. “I’ve never kissed a man in the moonlight. I guess I still have not.” The dark stranger smiled and stroked her face in a caress. “Let me take you from this world you can play your music to me alone and know I will only hear beautiful notes, not a bewitching spell.” The dark stranger promised. His offer tempting. Did she dare take such an offer?


She thought of her life. It was big and grand but lonely and empty. Playing her music was what gave her joy. She thought about her father the man would be happy he could have her money. She didn’t want it.


“I accept your offer but first I wish to know your name. Not what others believe it to be.” The man chuckled in reply. “Call me yours for that is what I am. Even as a child I was yours to call. Belladonna’ My Beautiful Death. Even your name wrote we should be. You are the beauty in the darkness and I am the Reaper of souls. Call yours my beauty and jump.”

© 2017 LeighAndJeff


Author's Note

LeighAndJeff
comments wanted :) ( i do not own image)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
Added on March 1, 2017
Last Updated on March 17, 2017
Tags: Violin, death

Author

LeighAndJeff
LeighAndJeff

Schuylkill Haven, PA



About
This is a split account for both Leigh Hodgens and Jeff Margavage. Leigh and myself have been writing for over a year together with a most unique arrangement. I guess it isn't often people who have ne.. more..

Writing