Chapter 1 - Territory

Chapter 1 - Territory

A Chapter by Leigh
"

Luke Black leaves his troublesome family home to set up his own life and with a handful of stolen tools he starts a farm on the high windswept coast of north Devon.

"

Chapter 1

https://books2read.com/u/bajKvv

Luke, son of Jon Black lay claim to four fields in no man’s land and marked them out with a boundary of hedge, ditch and fence. The fields were large and in a two-by-two formation with a small gap in the centre that gave access to all directions from there. It was from this gap that he built a lookout post and watched for trouble that might be coming his way, and while he was there he saw the people that walked the windswept coast path that was the main thoroughfare from the village to the mill. He lived in a makeshift tent that was in reality an awning lying against the remnants of a dry stone wall. It was cold in there most nights, even with a fire so he spent all of his time, while not farming, building a cottage for himself and one day for the family he hoped to have. He was twenty years old and so he considered himself to be doing well. His mother said he was handsome as he was tall and had dark curly hair.

 

The sun shone brightly the next day and stood high and early in the expanse of pure blue, turning the light greens into limes, the limes into yellows and the yellows into the more common colours of subtle shades of green. While Luke was out working the soil he saw at the far end of the top field, on the coastal path side, a man lying in a low hollow at the edge of the hedge. He took his time and walked up to him calmly. ‘Good Morning,’ he said when he was standing right over him and his camp that was strewn with rubbish and debris. The earth of the hollow was dry and even and looked like it had never seen rain.

 

‘Mornin’’ the man mumbled from a nest at the bottom of a clearing of ivy and brambles. The man didn’t look up, he kept gnawing on a hard uncooked vegetable he held savagely, like it was the only food he’d had in a while.

 

‘It’s nice to see someone here and have another soul to talk to’ Luke said leaning on his small wooden rake that had been passed down through the generations on his father’s side of the family.

 

‘Nice spot ‘ere it is. I might stay’ the man said quickly. He flashed a look at Luke, checking his mood.

 

‘You are welcome here so long as the fields aren't disturbed. I’m farming it, you see’

 

‘Yes, I can see that you are’ the man said holding up the raw turnip.

 

‘Ahh’ Luke looked at it and found himself getting angry as he had planted those turnips last season and so he turned to go. ‘If you need anything, I’ll be down the field. Luke’s my name’

 

‘Aye, thank ‘ee’ the man laughed knowing he’d made Luke angry. ‘Michael, I am’

‘Good day, Michael, I’m sorry but I must be getting on, I have so much to do,’ he said walking off.

 

‘It’ll be good for opportunities here, I can feel it’ Michael called. Luke spun on his worn heels to this and looked straight at the man who had stood up. He looked at him properly this time and saw that his feet were as brown as the earth and as gnarled as the tree roots. He saw a ramshackle figure, who looked like a tramp, none of his clothes fitted, all were old and he was under dressed for the time of year. It was still Spring and it was cold, the temperatures had been as low a winter.

 

‘Opportunities? What do you mean by opportunities exactly?’

 

‘All sorts. Unsuspecting passers-by walking the path’ Michael said spitting on the ground, his saliva the creamy white of turnip.

 

‘Oh’

 

‘Idiots, drunks and gullible fools. I can fleece them, turn ‘em over you know, and women too’

 

‘No’ Luke felt himself getting angry again. ‘No, I don’t know’

 

‘It’s their own fault. They’re ‘alf expecting it and almost grateful some of them’ Michael said laughing to himself. Luke stood there, staring at him, wondering what to say. ‘It’s not robbery, it’s just gentle persuasion, you see’

 

‘I do and don’t see. Yes’

 

‘They’re only giving what they would’ve given anyway, less, if that makes sense. Others more ruthless than I would take their lot and throw them over the cliff,’ he said pointing with a jagged arm, his spindly fingers twisting in the air. ‘And no one would ever know’ he stared at Luke as his hand shook with uncertainty or was it his age, it was hard to tell.

 

https://books2read.com/u/bajKvv



© 2024 Leigh


Author's Note

Leigh
In Chapter 2 Luke and Michael strike up a friendship and Luke makes a confession.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well leigh, you have introduced two characters who could interact through out your story ... each perhaps helping the other. I quite like the character Michael, obviously a hardscrabble rascal who could provide a touch of villainy to your story.

I look forward to reading more. it's a good start.

Posted 3 Weeks Ago


Leigh

2 Weeks Ago

Thank you for your review, Ted
released as a free e-book.
please follow the link
https://books2read.com/u/bajKvv


Posted 3 Months Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

177 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 24, 2024
Last Updated on March 27, 2024
Tags: blackbird, nature, jealousy, infighting, friendships. friends, life, living, story, love, farm, weather, village, courtship, territory, adventure, family, Gamble, luck, voyage, journey, people, good


Author

Leigh
Leigh

Bristol, South West, United Kingdom



About
More info on website about my books also on Amazon & other ebook sites via D2D. I am currently promoting my new book The Blackbird Man - follow this link https://books2read.com/u/bajKvv Thank you.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Leigh