Marks of the Past - 19

Marks of the Past - 19

A Chapter by A.L.
"

Chapter 19

"

I’ve set Aron on your trail, so it shouldn’t be hard for him to find you. 

That’s what Nik’s letter had started with before continuing into a detailed explanation of how to lie and bluff my way into the prince’s head. 

Get him to arrest you, which shouldn’t be hard since your face is posted pretty much everywhere listing a price for your return. I’d actually be surprised if it took him more than a day to find you, but that’s not the point. 

I’d purposely left a easy to trail for Aron to follow, sticking to the roads by the temple. 

Once your in the castle, try to learn as much as you can. Jonah will reach out to you with his magic and keep in touch. While you wait for him, try and see if you can get a private audience with the prince. 

Easy enough. I was currently waiting for my contact from Jonah to provide him with the information I’d snagged while the curtain was open. 

Once you have Aron’s attention, get him to believe you’re betraying us. If he’s been watching, he would’ve seen our fight and suspected there was something now broken between us. Then you can betray me without giving hint to your lies. 

Check - even I’d been convinced that Nik hated me. 

Let it slip that we’re going to assassinate the king. He’ll already be curious as to why you were so easy to catch. Everything should fall into place from there. Good luck. 

I had to trust Nik on this and hope he knew what he was doing, so I did exactly as he asked. Okay, so maybe the beating from Aron had been unanticipated by I’d had worse when I’d been stabbed in the leg. 

The second I’d “let slip” that I was here on orders from Nik, Aron had rushed out of the cell and ordered the guards to increase security on my cell. 

That meant I now had two soldiers standing in front of me instead of one, and the curtain was wide open so they could see my every move. Not that I was moving much. Once Aron had left, I’d plopped myself down on the bed and pretended to sleep so it wouldn’t look suspicious when Jonah finally reached out to me.  

Nik hadn’t given me an exact time that he’d contact me, so I was left waiting and waiting as the time passed as slow as honey down the trunk of a tree. 

Just when I was about to get up and take care of the guards myself, I heard as small voice inside my head. It was a different sensation than the one I had experienced when calling for Mark and when he’d responded. 

Leila? Are you there? 

Yes, I thought, desperately forcing the thought outwards to try and broadcast it. 

Ouch. There was a sharp exhale like someone had taken a breath. Ghosts, Leila, you don’t have to scream. I can sense your thoughts if you think them like sentences. 

So you can hear me? 

Of course, and by the way, I like this volume much better thank you very much. He paused and I could almost imagine the little grin that was probably on his face. So, how’s it going? 

Great, I sighed, trying not to sound bitter. I’ve already been attacked and I haven’t even been down here for a full day yet. How are you guys? 

Hold on, you got beat

Yeah, why? Is it really that big of a deal? 

There was a moment of silence and I pictured Jonah probably letting lose a string of curses before turning to explain my predicament to the others. If they were there. 

Nik said that no one was supposed to touch you. How badly are you hurt? 

Not bad. I’ll be bruised for a while, but nothing that I can’t handle. I hope you recall that I got stabbed not that long ago. 

Yeah, I suppose you are pretty tough. 

And you are a master at changing the subject? I asked how you were and you didn’t answer. 

To be fair, I was worried about you. Jonah gave a sharp laugh before continuing. Actually, I think Nik was the most worried. But before you take that as a compliment, you’re kinda the only thing he has right now to save Kyle, so…  

I understood what he meant, and I tried not to let it get to me. You still haven’t answered me. 

Right. We’re doing fine, Miss Nosy. Nik got us to a safehouse in time and Chelsea’s been brewing her little potions all day so the apartment smells like- His voice cut off abruptly, though I could still feel our connection like someone had tied a string between our minds and it had yet to be severed. Sorry, Chelsea says I better hurry up and get the info you gathered before someone catches you. 

I’m fake sleeping right now, I told him before providing the most accurate description I could of my cell, the corridor, and my current situation. 

That’s better than what Nik hoped for, Jonah said and I thought maybe I could sense a smile. 

Good, because getting beat by Aron was not on my bucket list. 

Jonah paused. Aron beat you? 

Yes. But I promise I’m still fine. It shouldn’t affect my ability to get out- 

Leila, are you wearing any cuffs or jewelry or anything new? 

There are these two bracelets, but other than that no. I think they’re just like armbands to prevent me from escaping though. 

No, Leila. Describe them. I did in the best detail I could. 

Jonah sounded worried when he spoke again. Those bracelets aren’t cuffs, Leila. They designate you as property. 


Don’t freak out, Jonah hissed to me, but I was already panicking. 

Property? The term sounded like something James would say and the similarity unnerved me. 

I said don’t freak out, Jonah transmitted, voice low like a mumble. 

I’m not, I lied. Okay, maybe I am. But I can’t pretend that you didn’t just tell me that I’m property of a prince. 

Then another voice joined the conversation. It’s not what you’re thinking, Nik assured me. 

Oh yeah? Cause I thought there was only so many definitions for the word ‘property’, I said, trying to make my mental voice sound level. 

Listen, Nik said quickly. Jonah is broadcasting my thoughts with his magic right now, but I don’t have long so I have to do this as quickly as possible. When I was still training for the army, they used different kinds of cuffs depending on what class the prisoner was. Bronze was the simple thieves and sometimes magicals. Silver was for higher level criminals like murderers. And they used gold bracelets if the criminal served another purpose. 

So what did Aron want with me then? I didn’t even have to ask because Nik continued. 

Aron either intends to use you as a slave or sell you or something, he said. Did he hint at anything? 

No, I told him. Well, he said he had a visitor but I don’t see what that has to do with me. Besides, he wasn’t exactly gentle with me so- 

Jonah said he beat you. There was a note of disgust in his voice. 

I wished that Jonah hadn’t told him that, I didn’t want Nik to make a big deal about it or pity me. 

It’s fine, I repeated. When I told him about the king, he ran as fast as he could. There was no time for him to finish his little interrogation. 

Good girl, Nik said, and I could sense the pride in his voice. 

Thanks, I mumbled back, trying not to let it show how much it bothered me that he cared so much. Am I allowed to get some actual rest now? 

Not quite yet. 

Ah, the work of a spy is never done. What do you need me to do? 

If I could’ve seen Nik’s face, he probably would’ve been smirking. I have something in mind… 

When the world started shaking, I knew it was time for me to act. 

The guards outside my cell shared a confused look. “What was that?” one of them asked, sounding worried. 

I laughed. “It’s my cue.”

This was one of the riskier parts of the plan because it relied on me and the Hidden Arts. I snuck my hand through the bars of the cell and grabbed their wrists simultaneously. Pain flared in my arms but I held on tight, gritting my teeth. 

Closing my eyes, I let the tingling sensation build in my fingertips before forcing it outwards. The two guards crumpled to the ground. 

The fire of the pain receded moments later and I sank against the walls of the cell, exhausted and hurting. I was beginning to wish I had slept while I could because now it would be a long time before I could rest again. 

With the castle done shaking now, I knew it was only a matter of time before someone came to find me. 

Reaching my hands through the bars again sent another wave of pain up my arms but I forced my fingers to search one of the guard’s pockets. Nothing. I checked the other one too, and again the pockets were empty. 

Panic was wrapping around me like a snake now, squeezing the breath out of my lungs. Nik had said the keys would be here. 

“Looking for these?” I heard a voice ask from behind me. 

My heart leapt into my throat as I spun around wildly to find Nik dressed in all black, the keys in his hand. Relief swelled in my chest as he stepped to the bars and quickly unlocked the cell doors. 

I practically flung myself out of the cell. “Where are the others?”

“Still working to keep the distractions running,” Nik answered. “There’ll be so much chaos that the guards will have no idea where they’re supposed to be guarding. Do you know which cell the Cursebreaker is in?” 

I shook my head and Nik and I began to make our way down the corridors with a brisk pace. He passed me the keys, a small slip of paper, and a knife. “I haven’t been out of the cell-”

Then there was a hand on my arm, wheeling me around yet again.“Ah, I knew there’d be something suspicious going on down here.”

Aron. His normally flawless face was ruined by the frown plastered on his face. 

“Leila?” 

It took me a moment to realize that the voice had come from the person standing beside Leila, the person I hadn’t even thought to look at. 

I recognized the dark hair and the pale eyes that burned with anger. “James?”

“As touching as this reunion is, we have places to be,” Nik interrupted, slamming the hilt of a knife I hadn’t even realized that he’d had down onto Aron’s wrist. The prince cursed loudly and drew his sword just as quickly. “Run!”

I did, my feet pounding on the stones as I fumbled to get the keys ready. 

James chased after me, faster than I’d expected. With him on my tail, I only got a brief look inside of each cell. The guards soon joined the chase, obviously surprised by the ruckus. With so much going on, I wasn’t sure how I was supposed to find the Cursebreaker - especially considering I had no idea what they looked like. 

The guards were quickly gaining on me, as was James. My heart thudded loudly in my ears, making it hard to focus. 

I was operating on instinct again as I spun to face them, thrusting one palm forward like I was throwing a ball. The effect was almost immediate and the guards who’d been chasing me toppled backwards like trees, falling to the ground. 

“Hidden Arts, huh?” The question came from one of the cells and I turned to see who had spoken. 

It was a boy probably not much older than me, maybe twenty or so at the most. He had flaming red curls that clashed horribly with the white robes he wore - which I noticed were spotted with dried blood. 

“How’d you know?” I asked him, taking a step closer to his cell and keeping my voice low. 

He gestured to the robe and I realized that it was covered in intricate patterns that almost looked like ruins. “I’m a specialist in magic,” he said when I remained silent. Did that mean… 

You’re the Cursebreaker?” I asked in disbelief. 

“Wow, no need to sound so surprised. But I’ve noticed that your holding a ring of keys and I was wondering if maybe you’d offer some help-” 

We need your help,” I interrupted, inserting the keys into the lock and twisting. A couple of the other prisoners began to shout in protest and I wondered why none of their little curtains were closed. 

The Cursebreaker stepped out of the cell, making a show of stretching his legs and arms. Around us, the guards on the ground began to stir. 

“Well,” I began. “Aren’t you going to do something?”

Do something?”

“Yeah, I dunno. You’re, like, all magicky and stuff. Can you help us get out of here?” 

The Cursebreaker raised an eyebrow. “You came to rescue me, so I naturally assumed you had an escape plan.”

I stared at him. “We came to rescue you to save our friend.”

“I only see you, so either your teammates abandoned you or-”

“They ran into trouble,” I interjected, starting to become annoyed with this boy. Couldn’t he just do some magic spell on the guards or something? “Look, are you gonna help or not?”

He frowned, tapping his finger on his lips. “I suppose you did help me out of prison. What am I doing for you in exchange again?”

The guards at my feet were beginning to wake - I could see their eyes fluttering open and shut. We needed to hurry but the Cursebreaker certainly wasn’t making things any easier. And where were the others? 

The Cursebreaker was staring at me expectantly so I shoved the slip of paper into his hands along with the ring of keys. “The paper should have the address of where you’re supposed to go,” I explained quickly. “Run and find the building - Nik said it should be an apartment complex. Check room eighteen and there should be a boy there in a coma. Wake him up and hope to the ghosts that he knows what to do.”

I didn’t give the Cursebreaker a chance to ask questions.

Wrapping my fingers around the hilt of my dagger, I broke away from him, leaping over the twitching bodies. 

Suddenly I was falling. Someone had wrapped fingers around my ankle, tripping me. I didn’t even have to look to know that it was James. I kicked at his wrist with my other leg and scrambled away when he recoiled. 

“Nik!” My voice sounded panicked even to me as I got to my feet and continued running. Sounds of grunts and blades clashing filled the air. 

I rounded the corner of the corridor that led to my own cell to discover Aron and Nik both stabbing at each other with swords. They seemed equally matched, neither one holding an advantage over the other. 

That was, at least, until I showed up. 

Nik turned just a little, slightly distracted. Aron took the advantage to get in a nasty cut along Nik’s side. The prince grinned as Nik slid to the floor, gasping as his hand came away from his hip wet with blood. 

Before I could register what was happening, the knife was leaving my fingers, spiraling through the air in slow motion. 

It found its mark in Aron’s chest and the prince stumbled backwards as blood bloomed from his chest like a terribly beautiful flower. His mouth opened in the shape of an o as his eyes fluttered open and shut. 

His chest rose and fell one more time as he slumped to the floor before falling still. The light left his eyes and I realized that I was on the verge of tears. 

Oh ghosts oh ghosts oh ghosts. I’d just killed someone. 

Nik was still slowly bleeding out as I collapsed to the floor and yet it still took me a moment to register the arms wrapping around me, throwing me to the side against a wall. The breath left my lungs as my head cracked against the ground. The world went blurry but I could still make out James’s face as he grew closer to me. 

His breath was warm on my face as he lifted my head to the same level as his. 

I wrapped my fingers around his wrist, prepared to knock him out but he simply laughed. The tingling sensation poured into my fingertips and I pushed it outwards. 

James tapped the rubies on the bracelets around my wrist and a current like lightning shot through my body. The tingling sensation was gone like a bird from a tree and as much as I tried to bring it back, it had disappeared. 

James cupped his hand under my chin, looking directly into my eyes. His other hand grazed the part of my leg where he’d stabbed me. I flinched away and he gave a sigh. 

“Go. Away.” I hissed. I hated being in this position again, vulnerable while James held all the power. Trying to summon the tingling sensation again wasn’t working and I was running out of options. “Please.”

I sent a nervous look towards Nik, hoping he’d wake up and be able to help me. Where were the others, anyway? Ambushed as well?

He grinned and the smile reminded me of a jackal. “Don’t worry, Leila, I won’t tell anyone that you assassinated the prince. The other guards will be out for a few more hours and by the time his body is found, you and I will be out of sight.”

“You cold-blooded, ruthless-”

He covered my mouth with his hand, eyes glinting in the light of the prison. I found myself wondering if the Cursebreaker would come to my aid before reminding myself that he was supposed to have escaped. 

“No, Leila,” he said, and I hated the way he said my name. “You’re the murderer here.” 

His eyes flitted to the left and I followed his gaze, focusing on Aron’s lifeless body. A sob built in my throat but it ended when something was jabbed into my neck. A needle? 

The world blurred again and the last thing I saw before darkness took me was James’s heartless eyes as he prepared to take everything from me the way I had done for him.



© 2021 A.L.


Author's Note

A.L.
Fun? I guess? Definitely not one of the best action scenes nor what I was going for (heist type thing where the reader is always several steps behind the characters but I'm not smart enough to pull that off). Let me know what you think.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

32 Views
Added on April 15, 2021
Last Updated on April 15, 2021
Tags: fantasy, adventure, fiction, urban fantasy, swords, fighting, death, teen, ya, young adult, magic, curses, heist


Author

A.L.
A.L.

About
When I was eleven, my cousins and I sat down and decided we want to write a fifty book long series that would become an instant bestseller. Obviously, that hasn't happened yet (and I doubt it will) bu.. more..

Writing
Fatefall - 1 Fatefall - 1

A Chapter by A.L.