Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

A Chapter by L J Hick

It was late afternoon now and Raven had rested long enough. He would leave Sodbury at nightfall and make his way back to the city. He enjoyed the quiet of the more rural places but loved the ever-beating pulse of the city, the city called Crod to be precise. Rust was divided into five continents. This one was called Middleland. The name came not from inspired thought or reference to past history, it was named that because it sat in the middle of two other continents that sat either side of it. To the west was the continent of Imperium, a rich and fortified land. Imperium had very strict immigration rules. Basically, you had to be rich to live there.

When an inhabitant of Middleland reached a certain amount of wealth, he could apply for residency in Imperium. On acceptance, he or she would leave Middleland and govern their businesses from their new homeland. Imperium did not allow tourists and those caught trying to enter the continent without approval were usually executed. The people of Imperium owned most of the more successful businesses in Middleland, but they rarely travelled across the water to check on their business themselves. Instead, they would send what they called Middlemen. The Middlemen would be well educated and well versed in every aspect of their employer's business. They would collect hard cash when required and enforce new employee practices when deemed necessary. They always travelled with four accomplices known as The Protectorate.

The Protectorate was often ex-military, trained in a variety of combat techniques. They were mean and ruthless and that was why nobody messed with a Middleman. To the East was the continent known simply as Bane. Whatever the inhabitants of Bane might actually call the land, was not known. Many people had travelled across the sea to Bane but only one had ever returned, the wizard called Blackheart. Blackheart only spoke of a land filled with great evil, a land where no citizen of Middleland should aspire to visit. Now Blackheart was not an easily scared man, but even he seemed changed by his visit to Bane. Two weeks after his return, he disappeared. Some said he had drowned himself, unable to live with the horror of his experiences. Others said that he had been kidnapped and dragged back to Bane, so as not to give away any of the secrets of that vile world. There was, of course, a third opinion. This one was that Blackheart had simply retired to a quieter lifestyle to escape the never-ending questions about Bane.

To the North was the continent they called the Firelands. The Firelands was so hot that anyone stepping foot in that place would burst into flame. For that reason, no one ever went to the Firelands. Despite the obvious risks to life, there were still rumours of plans to explore the Firelands. Only the University of Gearing would be able to think up a way to do that, and the university was a very secretive place.

To the south of Middleland were the Chillblains. The Chillblains were freezing. A land of ice filled with strange creatures that somehow revelled in the freezing temperatures. As opposed to the Firelands, however, the Chillblains were filled with explorers from Middleland. The explorers travelled back and forth but at the present, they had found nothing of significance in the Chillblains. Nevertheless, they did conduct a roaring trade in ice.

Crod was the capital city of Middleland and the only place that Raven would call home. He was raised as an orphan in the streets of the city, and even as a child, he was more than capable of handling himself. The knock at the door interrupted the thoughts of Raven.

"Who is it?" asked Raven.

"Clive, sir. You told me to bring the deposit back to you."

Raven opened the door and ushered Clive inside. He locked it behind him and took the deposit from Clive.

"Good lad," he said. "It's rare these days to find someone so trustworthy. Here."

Raven handed Clive another gold piece and Clive's face lit up with joy.

"Thank you, so much," said Clive. "By the way, we are serving food in the bar now if you're hungry."

Raven's stomach had rumbled for at least an hour now and so he was delighted to receive the offer of food. The delicious smell of cooked meat weaved its way upstairs and into his room.

"I'll be right down," said Raven. "I will eat my fill and then I must leave for home."

"Have you got far to travel?" asked Clive.

"Three days ride, but Crod is worth it," said Raven.

"You live in Crod? The city?" asked Clive. "I have always wanted to see Crod. I hear so many tales about it. Tales of giant stone buildings and waterways that weave their way through the city."

"It is magnificent," said Raven.

"One day I will have to visit and find out for myself," said Clive.

"You should do that," said Raven.

Clive resolved that soon he would take a holiday and visit Crod. Maybe, Oscar could get temporary staff to cover him.

The bar of the inn was full and Raven was a little sorry that he was leaving this place so soon. He enjoyed his stay here but he had things to attend to at home. He had plans to make and mysteries that he must solve, not least, where had Patto disappeared to? Oscar and Clive were both busy behind the bar, selling pies and ale by the dozen. When four men entered the room, Raven only glimpsed them for a second as they walked behind one of the huge wooden ceiling props in the room. Despite the brevity of this view, he thought that he vaguely recognised one of the men. As the man came back into sight, Raven smiled and managed to put a name to the face.

“Walter Badrattle,” he murmured to himself.



© 2017 L J Hick


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

79 Views
Added on June 21, 2017
Last Updated on June 21, 2017
Tags: fantasy, book, series, adventure, comedy


Author

L J Hick
L J Hick

Nuneaton, Warwickshire, United Kingdom



About
LJ Hick is from Warwickshire in the United Kingdom. Musician and author of The Last Days of Planet Earth. He writes surreal fiction and sci-fi. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by L J Hick


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by L J Hick


Chapter Three Chapter Three

A Chapter by L J Hick