The Secret Life of Stones

The Secret Life of Stones

A Poem by Leslie Philibert
"

a secret

"
Stones are family. They move in earth and water, and are so strong they cannot be beaten. Stones live within themselves, without fear.

They change in winter through ice and in summer through sun.
Without regret they may turn to dust., eternal in changed forms.

They are distant from foolishness and do not hurt for scant reason.
On a summer evening I will take a warm stone in the palm of my hand
and thus address you 

On the last day let me be you.
You are proved to be the better.

© 2012 Leslie Philibert


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Not as much of a stones fan (either variety) as are, apparently, most of the reviewers.
While I believe this is a magnificent poem, I feel it got that way through your unique imagination and delightfully quirky perception, not because a bag of rocks suddenly got any smarter--or nobler, or more admirable.
While I will admit stones may have some level of consciousness, it has yet to be proven even close to noticeable.
And, no doubt, there certainly are some truly beautiful stones.
I see "The Secret Life of Stones" as a brilliant metaphor--based primarily on the theory that stones qualify as being strong, fearless, able to shape-shift and destined to live forever.
Like the best of us.


Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
i find this overwhelmingly touching. a well done job

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
I don't know how but this is very touching.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Oh wow! This is amazing! :)
This is a wonderful connection to the spiritual perspective in life...we are so far removed at times and this shows just how much!
Stones are wonderful holders of energy...I have a stone from the beach I chose a while ago and hold it regularly to feel the energy ground me, they remind us of the connection to earth, we all need that..they see and absorb so much we do not!
To me, they are amazing! As this poem is, really like this :)
Clever piece and beautifully written!
xoxo

Posted 11 Years Ago


i love stones too- very nice tribute to them

Posted 11 Years Ago


I loved the title and I loved the piece--I found a stone the other day by a river bed--beautifully layered and I thought about the laying down of skills with each layer--I teach classical singing and was at a music camp--perhaps a poem lies in that stone as well?

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
ame
What an extraordinary sentiment, and I love it. Stones are family. Maybe that is why I always return from a walk on the beach with a pocket full of those, which I find so precious that I cannot leave them where I found them? They feel like my friends when I place them on my window-sill or in a special box. But I wouldn't like to turn into one myself, if I can help it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I so love this.. I use stones in my work and sometimes over do.. but I can't help it.. for all the reasons above and their energy it just feels like they're my family.. and extension of the good..solid truth that really exists out there..xo

Posted 11 Years Ago


Another perceptive and well written piece. It is enviable to think of not being beaten, having no regret, no foolishness, and no unkind motives.

Posted 11 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

373 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 10, 2012
Last Updated on August 10, 2012

Author

Leslie Philibert
Leslie Philibert

Bavaria, Germany



About
I`m not important. I just want to write a couple of good poems. Just read what I write. That`s enough. more..

Writing
End End

A Poem by Leslie Philibert



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


"Touched..." "Touched..."

A Poem by Chris