A Short Primer Of Stones

A Short Primer Of Stones

A Poem by Leslie Philibert
"

stones

"
Granite; dark with quartz
and royal with feldspar
                        polished with stars and ghosts;
its brother marble
                        cool with drops of fountain water
                        proud with veiled eyes,
Chalk, full of dead white fish
                        and rings of old life.

Slate for a roof under Northern rain.

Jade for a buried queen
                       boned and stripped
                       free of face and arms.

A cycle of rock, mudstone cracked
or impacted like coal, b*****d gravel;
an old crag broken.


.

© 2013 Leslie Philibert


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

The essence of Mother Earth described very colorfully. I enjoyed it much.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Good analogy. Deep philosophical write or literally appreciation for the elements of nature...Well done , sir...:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


This was absolutely stunning in its imagery, my friend. I'm extremely impressed with the texture of the words, and the tangible way in which you made them jump from the page; almost as though I could touch them. Then, of course, you brought it back to the "use" of the rock, which is the crux of the whole thing...rock has forged this world; it was here long before us and it will be here long after we are gone. Well done...thought provoking. I'm jealous of your talent!

Posted 10 Years Ago


beautiful piece......almost like a slice from a Malik film....

Posted 10 Years Ago


there is some polished perfect stone here...and there are perfect moments in life.

but i like the allsuions to the cracked stones, b*****d gravel, chalk full of dead whitefish....rings of old life...imperfect but lived and felt nonetheless

the real stones that roll through the years...feeling and wearing...as we all do...and we all eventually erode..but that's life.

really nice allegory here, Leslie...

and i have probably said this before...but i really like your "about" comments..

i have always felt this.."it isn't the poet who is important, it is the words themselves."

and for me it is enough that readers read them.

you are always a really good read!

jacob

Posted 10 Years Ago


What a brilliant glimpse at a world formed of stone, polished and pure... made to last... made to beautify and lift... Each element seems to sing over the structure and give it a life all its own. Loved the depth and feel of your words.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rolling, rolling, rolling. I love your work Leslie, often so mysterious and enigmatic, yet always simple and affecting. You are someone I can relate to through their writing. You seem so humble, and this always comes through in your poems, to me at any rate. Thanks you for this piece.
-x-

Posted 10 Years Ago


....or perhaps waiting for recycling at another epoch? I love the baldness of the piece. P.

Posted 10 Years Ago


A science lesson, and a philosophy lesson, beautifully written in this poem.

Posted 10 Years Ago


We are connected to the dirt. Some people believe we were formed from it...
I love you use of rocks, minerals, and gems relating to personalities and human conditions.
A long shared love of mine as well.
My don and I spent hours reading every single description and caption in the museum of Natural Science in DC's Smithsonian... Fascinating!

Posted 10 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

341 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 3, 2013
Last Updated on July 3, 2013

Author

Leslie Philibert
Leslie Philibert

Bavaria, Germany



About
I`m not important. I just want to write a couple of good poems. Just read what I write. That`s enough. more..

Writing
End End

A Poem by Leslie Philibert



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..