What Have I Gotten Myself Into?

What Have I Gotten Myself Into?

A Chapter by Leslie Flemons

Ever since I was a young girl, I've always fantasized of becoming a professional hip-hop and ballet dancer. I've always dreampt of becoming noticed by someone. But, that voice inside my head would always discourage me, telling me that my dreams would never come true. I try to shake the awful thought off, but it would never leave. So, I decided to prove it wrong by auditioning to many dancing academies and shows. But, they all have rejected me. So, finally at the age of sixteen, I decided to give up dancing and find myself a job. I am now a cashier at Wendy's, taking orders from customers. I actually enjoyed the job. The customers were polite, I had close relationships with my co-workers, and my boss, John-how do I describe this man? He had to be the number one boss in America. He was sweet, funny and rarely fusses when one of us employees mess up.

But, one day, I received a phone call from John while sitting in a living room chair. 

"Look," he sighed in frustration. "There's no easy to say this, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to let you go."

The words echoed in my mind. I didn't know how I was feeling. Shocked? Confused? Disappointed? Maybe all of them?

"What do you mean?" I asked.

I heard another sigh. "I decided to shut down the business."

I was hoping that it was a joke. But, it couldn't be. He sounded so serious. But, he could be a very professional actor.

"Why?"

"We haven't been having a lot of customers lately, so we have to shut the store down. Sorry, kiddo.

"So, you're just going to give up?" I asked, attempting to change his mind about this decision.

"Well, if the customer's aren't going to show up, then what's the point in keeping the restaurant open?"

"John, just give it another chance."

"I have, Maya," he said. "I'm sorry. But, we're closing the restaurant. I hope you understand. I'm really going to miss you, Maya." And with that, he hung up.

I sighed and leaned back on the chair, disappointed.

Suddenly, the front door rapidly swung open, attacking the wall. My younger sister, Kara rushed inside with an eager look on her face, not bothering to shut the door first. She ran over to me. While she approached, I noticed a blue piece of paper in her hand.

"Guess what?" she asked me excitedly.

"Did you win the science fair?" I asked her. Kara happened to be very bright for a twelve-year-old. She participated in numerous science fairs and would win at least third place.

"No," she answered. "Well, kind of. I won second place. But, that's not what I wanted to tell you. Here!" She handed me the blue paper.

I read the paper and it said, "Want to have an opportunity to have your own spotlight? Audition for a chance to get a scholarship at the Allister Dance Academy. The audition is located at Valerie High School in the gym. It will be from noon to three o'clock. Do not miss out on this opportunity!

I looked up at my sister in confusion. "Where did you get this?" I asked her.

"It was posted outside on Wal-Mart's window," she told me. "So?" she asked. "Are you going to audition?" she asked.

I sighed. "Kara, you know I gave up dancing two years ago. I'm not that good. They're not going to accept me."

"Look, just because you have been rejected many times, doesn't mean you won't get accepted to this one. And you are a great dancer, Maya. Okay? And if they won't like you, then it's their loss. Come on, you have to audition."

"I can't," I told her. "I'm not going to."

Kara sighed. "Just one last time." She raised her index finger up to indicate the number one. "Just give it one more chance and if you don't make it, then I promise I won't bug you about any other dance audition ever again."

I sighed and leaned back on my chair again to think about it. Finally, I stood up and crossed my arms. "Okay. I'll do it."

A high-pitched squeal sounded through Kara's perfectly white teeth as she threw her thin, tan arms around me.

Oh, dear Lord! What have I got myself into?


© 2015 Leslie Flemons


Author's Note

Leslie Flemons
Okay! This is an idea that I came up with in my head. What do you think? Constructive criticism is allowed, but NO rude comments. Thank you for reading and have a good day/afternoon/night! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

169 Views
Added on August 6, 2015
Last Updated on August 6, 2015


Author

Leslie Flemons
Leslie Flemons

Louisville, KY



About
Hello, everyone! My name is Leslie and I am nineteen years old. I just finished my freshman year of college today. YAY! I can be pretty quiet and shy around people, but I also can be pretty funny .. more..

Writing