Confessions

Confessions

A Chapter by Alexia Gray
"

I'm not sure if this is quite finished?!

"
Previous Version
This is a previous version of Confessions.



I decided against telling Kimberley about the wedding dress I tried on, she would only ask questions and I didn't need her to. Thankfully the assistants kept it to themselves just as I had asked them. Kimberley looked amazing in her dress and it made me think of her on the day walking down the aisle to Tristan, with me following close behind as Maid of Honour in my olive green dress. Of course there would be no one waiting for me despite Kimberley's pleas to fill the 'plus one' position on my invitation. I hadn't had a boyfriend in ages and that wasn't going to change any time soon. However, Kimberley still interrogated me about my relationship status whenever possible, like when we went for coffee after the dress fitting.

 

"So, err, you bringing anyone along then?" She tried to throw in casually but I knew what she was up to. I raised my eyebrows at her and she shrugged.

 

"Not this again Kim, you know the answers going to be 'no'. I don't know why you're so bothered about it?"

 

"I'm so bothered because I want my best friend to be happy on my big day, especially as you said how you hated weddings!" She took a sip of her coffee.

 

"I will be happy. I'm happy for you and I'm happy for Tristan. You should just be pleased that your wedding is one of the only two I've been to." That was a lie I'd been to four but two of them didn't really count.

 

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. Whose was the other wedding?" Kim seemed intrigued by this revelation and sat forward as if it was a deep dark secret.

 

"Oh, err, just some family. Nothing special." Kim looked disappointed and slumped in her chair. 

 

After a while she looked at me inquisitively and said, "Do you ever think about being married?"

 

I looked down at my drink, "At one point it was all I could think about."

 

"Who was he?" Kim asked eagerly.

 

"He was everything, we were so in love and the only thing left was to be married so we thought 'why not?'" I spoke sadly. Talking about it brought up old memories that should stay buried.

 

"So what went wrong? Why aren't you still together?" To Kim my story was like an article in one of the scandalous magazines she reads although I can't stand them.

 

"Lots of things were never right in the first place. We were extremely young and we fought with each other. We fought with each other a lot, actually."

 

"So is that why you broke up? Couldn't you have tried to make it work if you were so in love?"

 

"We did try, every day we tried and it worked most of the time." I explained, "But that wasn't why we separated, my family were moving away and I would have to leave him behind. I begged to stay, I shouted at my father that he was the love of my life and I should be with him not away from him. But he put his foot down, said I was only seventeen and that I had to do what him and my mother wanted me to do." I mimicked his stern voice all the while watching my hands. "They had never approved of him and did whatever they could to stop me from running back to him. I did succeed on several occasions but they always found me and took me back home."

 

"So, why did you stop running to him? Surely once you were old enough they couldn't have that control over you, right?"

 

"Wrong, to my parents I would always be their little girl, never old enough to understand what decisions she was making so they'd have to make them for her. The last time I went back to him, they didn't come for half a year and just to make sure they never would, we moved away. To a completely different country in fact. I thought they'd decided that I could make my own choices for once but then my father turned up on the doorstep."

 

"What happened?" I saw sympathy in Kim's face.

 

"He didn't speak to me much, just said that my family will always be there for me. But he spoke to the man I loved so much in private and when my father came out he told me to go and speak to the man."

 

"What the one you loved?"

 

I nodded, "He told me to sit down, had something to tell me, said it was important and that I should listen carefully. He said how we weren't right for each other what with all the fighting and everyone being so against us. And then he said... he said that... we should break up, that I should go back with my family where I belong."

 

"But surely you didn't believe him, did you? Your father must have told him to say that."

 

"Well that's what I said, that this wasn't you speaking, it was my father. But then he said he didn't love me anymore."

 

"And did you believe that either?"

 

I looked up at Kim for the first time during my confession and said solemnly, "No, I didn't believe him but I knew that I had to. So, I packed as much as I could fit into a suitcase and left with my father."

 

"Did you ever see him again?" Asked Kim, she had so many questions.

 

"Once or twice but I think that was just my imagination."

 

"How come you never told me this before?" Asked Kim, sitting back in her chair. I shrugged, it wasn't something I liked to talk about. We sat in silence and after a while Kim spoke again. "Wait, whose wedding did you go to?"

 

I looked up at her slowly, "My own." I confessed, "Three times."



© 2009 Alexia Gray


Author's Note

Alexia Gray
Please Review! =]



Reviews

Oh my gosh! This is insanely good!...my favorite chapter so far!

You've really got me caught up in this story. I'm always eager to read more!

Wonderful job!

Always,
-Aurelia Mirella

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


ok..this gave me goosebumbs... i cannot wait for it to continue... though i guess the choice of words could have been better... still this captured me.. casted a spell on me..and is surely right in the favourites list :)

a treat reading your work...
take care...
niki..:)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

44 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 11, 2009
Last Updated on February 21, 2009


Author

Alexia Gray
Alexia Gray

The Countryside, United Kingdom



Writing
Fred Fred

A Poem by Alexia Gray