Captive to Freedom

Captive to Freedom

A Story by Lightfalls
"

"We are what we allow to control us."

"

 

 

blue sunset

 

 

 

 

 

 

Everyone has their idol. 

 

The thing they cling to and worship.

 

 

 

Our lives are governed by these things, just as the world is ruled by the sun and the seasons.

 

What rules our minds? 

 

The thoughts we desperately cling to? 

The feelings that overwhelm our hearts?

The sorrows that have crept in and overtaken our souls? 

The deepest darkest feelings?  

The pain that engulfs our heart?

 

 

We are all ruled by something.

 

Everyone is.

 

 

Our lives are dictated by the seasons and times.  We are subjects to the years and the planets.

You are a part of this world, and something, somewhere rules your life.

 

 

 

"We are what we allow to control us."

 

 

Show me your god, and I will show you what you are.

 

You are a part of what you believe in.  You are a part of what you hold to.

 

 

We are here for a moment. 

 

We are gone tomorrow.

 

We live with the freedom to choose our paths, but we often choose the wrong way. 

 

We run through the days and dream through the nights, but sometimes we do not make it any farther then where we started. 

 

We travel distances, only to find that we return to where we began. 

 

 

 

We fall down, and we climb mountains. 

 

We loose hope in the dark night, and the light guides us again. 

 

Our bodies are dictated by time.  They are slaves to the physical.

 

 

 

 

But we are more.

 

We are stronger.

 

 

 

 

 

 

We are so much more then physical.

 

 

 

Our souls are forever.  Our spirits are free. 

 

And we have the power to become a part of that freedom.

 

What rules your soul, also rules you.

 

Do not allow confusion to reign.  Do not allow your own doubts to rule.

 

 

Your idol will become a part of you.  It will be your sovereign. 

 

You will become a part of it.

 

 

 

 

 

My soul will be chained by nothing.

 

Only the eternal beauty of God’s plan will hold my spirit.

 

 

Only the hope of eternity will guide my life.

 

 

Only the freedom of faith is worthy of my pledge.

 

 

Only the gentle whispers of the unknown assure me that there is beauty is the things I cannot yet see. 

 

 

 

There is freedom,

 

 

 

 

 

 

Only waiting to be discovered.

 

 

 

 

© 2009 Lightfalls


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

That is truly a deeply philosophical piece of writing... you certainly laid out a lot of what is wrong with humans... we do hold some things sacred that we shouldn't, weather it be a celebrity or even some inanimate object and in that process we lose sight of what is really important... we are also our biggest fence to enjoying freedom, we allow personal fears to keep us from doing many things we want. Wow I could go on and on after reading this but I will stop by saying Amazing thinking and writing.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I loved the the line, "Show me your god, and I will show you what you are.


You are a part of what you believe in. You are a part of what you hold to". The Bible teaches us that where are treasure is that our heart will be there also. I enjoyed your declaration of faith in this poem! Excellent work. you are deep and have a wonderful head on your shoulders. God Bless!


Posted 14 Years Ago


that poem was so good! i actually read it twice. it was quite inspirational and full of deep, interesting thoughts.overall a very fantastic piece. i look forward to reading more of your work! :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
ljc
This piece deserves repeated readings as so much weighty material is presented. Encouraging thoughts, deep thoughts, this will go on my inspirational read list.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

221 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 7, 2009
Last Updated on May 7, 2009

Author

Lightfalls
Lightfalls

Edge of the World, AK



About
I'm not about being tied down and limited with words. Words are just a shadow of life anyways, and only used because they simplify things. Sometimes there are things far, far beyond words, that you .. more..

Writing
Writing Writing

A Poem by Lightfalls