The Gift

The Gift

A Story by Laura Lewallen
"

when a little girl discovers a caves she travels to a wonderful place and meets so mystical creatures

"
Sally was walking through the woods behind her house on the coast of Maine when she noticed a small over grown trail leading to a dark area in the woods. The atmosphere was heavy and bleak. Nothing green lived in surrounding area, it was burnt, decaying plant life all round. The trail lead to a small stone tunnel with seemingly no end, it was nothing but darkness. Sally, being a curious little girl faced her fear of that trail and went into the tunnel. She had a small flash light that illuminated a few feet in front of her, just enough that she could see where she was walking. She walked, and she walked, and for what seemed like hours she kept going farther and farther into the tunnel until she noticed the sound of flowing water. She started running. There was water on the ground and it splashed when her petite feet padded across the stone floor. She heard laughter, and it only spurred her to move faster. Finally she saw light, it was a strange purple glow of a light, but a light none the less. When she reached the end of the tunnel she was amazed by what lay before her. There was cave approximately 100 feet tall, it had vines and all manner of flowering vegetation scaling the walls, the only bare area was that behind the waterfall. The water fall was made of the clearest and bluest water she had even laid eyes on, it fell to a pool filled with equally beautiful water. A smile spread across sally's face as she ran to the side of the pool and looked into the water. There was a small tropical reef at the bottom teeming with hundreds of colorful fish and sea creatures. An otter swam up to the surface of the water with a small clam in its hand to investigate sally. She reached down to touch the otter, and for a moment it seemed as if the creature would allow such contact, but it was not so. Just as sally touched the otter it dived to deep water, but turned to look back at her. Sally was so enraptured with the otter and the pool that she didn't hear someone walk up behind her. Sally soon felt someone touch her shoulder and she quickly turned to see who it was and was greeted by a young woman no older that the age of 25. the woman was tall and slender, yet had a balanced amount of curvature. she had long luscious black hair that tapered off at her hips. The woman had large hazel eyes that seemed to glow, and went well with her tanned skin. The woman smiled at sally and reached out to her. 
“ careful little one, you do not wish to fall in to the water. The nymphs may just runaway with a child of such beauty as yours.” sally blushed at the woman's words and began to fidget with her long chestnut braid that was draped over her shoulder. Sally heard laughing coming from the far end of the pool and turned to see six smaller women with skin varying in shades of blue and green. they had eyes three times the size of sally's and they were a dark opequ blue . They had long black hair as well. They were just as beautiful as the woman and they giggled as sally was mesmerized by the small women. She let her mouth fall open as she turned to the woman. She chuckled and reached out to touch sally's cheek. “ have they left you speechless my dear?” the woman asked taken aback by the fact that sally hadn't said a single word. Sally reached up to her throat and showed through her hand movements that she couldn't speak, she was a mute. “ oh, you poor girl, it must be dreadful.” sally hung her head ashamed of the fact that she had no voice. She longed to talk to others, to have a voice as melodic as the woman's, but she knew she would never have that. At least she believed she never would. The nymphs at hearing that sally had no voice rushed over to investigate this strange little girl. They crowded around her and began to gossip in a strange language that she had never heard before, then one of the nymphs, what looked to be the eldest, scurried over to the woman and tugged on her light blue dress. The woman bent down and the nymph whispered in her ear then stood back as the woman rose and made her way over to sally. She sat down on her knees in front of the little girl and lifted her chin with her finger. “ would you like to have a voice little one.” the woman asked and sally shook her head up and down frantically and the woman and nymphs giggled. The woman looked over her shoulder and one of the smaller nymphs came forward with a small rope in hand. The rope was light brown and had small tear drop shaped stone tied in the center. The nymph tied the rope around sally's neck and stepped back.
“ did it work?” the elder nymph asked. Sally gasped and placed her hand over her mouth.
“ I cant understand you.” sally replied and cover her mouth tighter and began to cry. “ I have a voice.” she said.
“ and it is a beautiful one, my dear.” the woman said. Sally's voice was so soft and sweet she could hardly contain herself.
“you have a voice that matches your beauty.” the smallest nymph said. Sally didn't know what to say. She had dreamed of this moment her whole life, but never thought it possible. She wanted to run and tell her mother and father so many things but she didn't want to leave this paradise. The woman seen the conflict in sally's eyes and smiled warmly at her.
“ go on little one, run home, we will be here waiting for your return.” and with that sally took off out of the cave and through the tunnel. It seemed to take less to go through the tunnel this time, but sally paid no attention as she made her way down the tunnel and out along the trail, she just kept running until she reached her house and entered yelling for her mother and father. She found them in the kitchen with looks of complete shock on their faces as she began to tell them about the tunnel and cave and what she found with in. her mother sat stood form her place at the dinner table and walked over to her daughter and told her that she had been gone for the better part of a month and asked to see where this tunnel was that she was in. sally lead her mother and father through the woods and to the spot where the tunnel was in the cliff side, but there was nothing there. Only a stone wall in place of the entry. A confused sally sat down and began to cry.
“ why are you crying little one?”

© 2015 Laura Lewallen


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

you wrote a great story here,

Posted 8 Years Ago


Laura Lewallen

8 Years Ago

thank you wordman

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

115 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 11, 2015
Last Updated on November 11, 2015
Tags: nymphs, magic, maine, fantasy

Author

Laura Lewallen
Laura Lewallen

butler, IN



About
i'm from butler Indiana and ive always liked writing stories or even scenes that could one day be part of a bigger story. im not the best at spelling and grammar but i do try more..

Writing