Chapter One: The letter

Chapter One: The letter

A Chapter by Meradee
"

A much awaited letter...

"

December 27, 2007

Akhiok, Alaska

Colby wasn't one for words or pleasentries. She thought that just because her life had been hard she didn't have to follow the unwritten laws of society. Today as she went to the small store, owned by Lottie Brown, she ignored everyone in the store. She grumbled and cursed as she looked at the prices of things and hated the way her life was going. Nothing seemed to work out for her and so she was just going to go along with it.

In the small village of Akhiok, Alaska everyone avoided Colby Derringer. With only eighty residents in the village everyone knew everyone. If you visited you would ask who the lovely young woman with the pale blond hair, firey green eyes, and the constant frown on her lips. Any one would tell you to avoid her.

"She doesn't talk much." They'd say, "She's had a hard life, guess when that many bad things happen to you it can really mess a person up." So anyone who visited would steer clear of Colby, she liked that just fine. As long as no one bothered her she was happy.

The only person who was brave enough to talk to her was the woman who had been her friend from the very beginning. Francis Ann was a good soul and had all but forced her friendship upon Colby when she'd finally been free to enjoy other's company. No matter what Colby had done the older girl had not let her alone. Nothing could deter her. Finally she had just given up and had fallen into the best friendship she could ever have had. The two women were like sisters, they saw each other through everything. Of course nothing could stop Colby's cynical outlook on life.

"Colby." Lottie Brown said when the younger woman came closer to the front of the store. Colby looked up sharply and frowned at the woman old enough to be her mother. "There's a letter for you, it's from Francis Ann." This bit of news was enough to put a little spark of joy in the young woman's eyes. No one had heard from Francis Ann in all the months that she'd been gone.

Seven months ago after returning from a trip to Juneau Francis Ann had announced that she was going to travel for a while. She didn't know when she would be back just that she would be leaving for a while. Just before she had gotten into her old beat up truck the older woman had hugged Colby tightly. "I love you," She said, "You know that right? I've always loved you like a sister. I don't know when I'll be back but I'll write...when it's time I'll write."

"You don't have to go. You can stay here. Why would you want to go travel? Akhiok has everything you would ever want, or need." Colby had protested. "If you leave for all those months who will I have to talk to?"

"If I leave for all these months then maybe you'll come out of your seclusion and acctually talk to some people. No one blames you for what happened Colby. You have to realize that." Francis Ann had a pleading look in her eyes. It was as if something deep down was trying to claw it's way to the surface, something that had to be said, something that no one wanted to hear.

"I don't care what other people think. It's my opinion that's important and if I say it's my fault then it must be true." Colby was stubborn, her frown turned into a scowl.

"Part of that statement is true, most of it is completely wrong. Ah..." Francis Ann seemed to realize it would take a miracle to change Colby, that's what she was praying for, a miracle. Maybe this is the reason this is happening to me. Because Colby needs this. I'm willing to help out in that, even if it is painful. Francis Ann thought. "You'll realize it some day." I only hope it isn't too late.

Those had been their parting words. Maybe if Colby had known the reasons her dear friend was leaving she would have changed her good-bye. But that's not how life is, is it? We don't know the out come of our lives, of the next chapter of the book we're writing as we go throughout our days. All we know is that life is fragile. One moment it can be there, and the next, it can be gone. Francis Ann had realized this too late. She understood that life is meant to be lived, not wasted. She only hoped she could transfer that knowledge to Colby, before it was too late.

***

When Colby got home another storm was starting up. Only a light snowfall came but it was still enough to dampen her spirits a little bit more. She was anxious to read the letter that Francis Ann had sent her but first she needed to put the groceries away. She did so quickly and then sat down next to the fireplace and laid the letter reverently down on her seal skin clad legs.

My Dearest Colby,

I am so sorry you have to find out about this this way, but I thought it would be better. I decided you needed to experience the reality with no buffers. When I went to Juneau it was for a doctors appointment for some massive headaches I have been having. While there the doctor told me I had a brain tumor. The tumor is terminal.

Since you are recieving this letter it means I am no longer living. My burial has been arranged and I will be returning to Akhiok for the last time. I'm sorry I didn't tell you Colby, but I needed to do some things first.

I realized when I found out about this tumor that I had lived my entire life in a little nothing town in Alaska. This was no way that I had planned to spend my life and now that it is almost over I realize that I needed to get out and enjoy what I could of the world. And this is what I have to say to you:

To laugh and love is to live. I do not sing, play an instrument, paint, or sculpt, yet I am an artist of the alleys and paths I have walked. I am an unfinished portrait, waiting and wondering how I will look in the end.

I guess now I know what I look like in the end. I wish I had done more, but it is not to be. This is to you, my dearest friend, who walked by my side on this journey. I am a part of you and you are a part of me. I hope you will not forget me as you go on with your life and make something of yourself.

I had a lot of luck in Vegas and I have left the money in a bank and instructions with the manager. I have decided that because I was a fool and did not live my life like I knew I should have, I am determined to change that for you.

I bought a house on a small island in Pacific Ocean. It's called Pirate's Isle. A plane ticket is included in the envelope that Lottie gave you. Don't tear it up, please, for me would you go live there for a year. Live there and go to the beach meet new peole and enjoy yourself for a while. 

After a year if you decide that you want to come back to Akhiok after that year is up then you can. The year starts at the beginning of 2008. Please, do this right, don't slack off just because I'm not there. I will live on in your heart and I will be there for you. I'm only asking for a year.

You must look at life as a whole, not just a segment. You must see all of your life. It is then the painting takes on it's raw beauty, a blend of laughter and tears, good and bad. My life...my painting. You have your own. Go add some color to it.

Forever, Francis Ann

By the time Colby was done with the letter tears were rolling down her cheeks and dropping onto the paper on her lap. Every drop of salt water caused more tears to come. Her best friend was gone, never to return again. Would life ever be the same? No, it never would be, but that didn't mean that life couldn't go on. 

If only Colby could see that. 

***

Three days later Fancis Ann was buried in the Akhiok cemetary. Everyone in the town attended the funeral. The members of the village had never seen Colby Derringer express any other emotions other then anger and dissapointment. Never had had they seen tears get past her tough facade. It humanized her in their eyes, they actually felt something for her for the first time in many years. They had given up after the small child had shrugged off all of their help and their company. They now realized that she was not just an empty shell but a sensitive woman who had no clue what love was. The closest thing Colby had ever experienced to love was the relationship she had with Francis Ann. Now she didn't even have that. Many wondered what she would do now that she had no one and nothing.

***

January 1, 2008

The year started today.

Colby had a decision to make. She was torn between what she wanted to do and what Francis Ann wanted her to do. One was the easy way out the other was the hard way. Francis Ann was asking something that was very hard. She was asking her to leave the only home she'd ever known, the only place she'd ever been to.

She sat in front of the fireplace just watch the flames. She debated with herself about what would do. Finally just before six in the morning she made her decision. Colby go up from the hearth and grabbed the bag that she had some how known to pack, somehow known what choice she was going to make.

Colby glanced at the clock and sped up, she had a plane to catch...



© 2008 Meradee


Author's Note

Meradee
This is dedicated to Roy who was a true artist in every way of the word. Though he may no longer be alive physically, he will live forever in our hearts...

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

You blended the piece together perfectly. It read extremely smooth. I can see many different options in this story. First, I believe you have the talent and imagination to pull it off. A good Editor is a must. Her friend told her life was a blend of good and bad, beautiful and ugly. Your job is to somehow make that a reality. I'm impressed, and I think for you to write this in tribute of a friend speaks to the kind of heart you have. First draft...100%. Rain..

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

138 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 20, 2008


Author

Meradee
Meradee

New York, NY



About
Okay guys, after nearly two years of being dormant, I've decided to completely re-vamp my account here. I'm going to try and be as active as possible and post things as much as I can. I will tell .. more..

Writing
Beginning Beginning

A Chapter by Meradee


Trapped Trapped

A Chapter by Meradee