Childhood Memories

Childhood Memories

A Chapter by Riv
"

River's first week back in the old town, and he runs into an old friend.

"

River walked through the halls of the college with his group, despite his mind being in other places. Today, his class was taking a field trip to the famous Cherry Blossom College, the one college that many of the high school student would be attending, if not heading off to the work force. River could care less about where he ended up, but he was here none the less, no thanks to his father's decision to move back to this small town on the border of Canada in the United States. The town of Cherry Blossom, “Where everything was beautiful no matter what you did.” That motto was sometimes so stupid and it made him want to puke.

A week ago, River and his family arrived in this small town that they used to live in, that is before his father relocated due to a job issue. The eighteen year old didn't remember much of the town other than the snow that came around the winter.There was one memory that stuck with him well past the years; his best friend. He happened to be a fifteen year old teenager who had baby sat him and his sister when his mother and father weren’t home. The reason that they moved back to this small, old town was because River's dad wanted him to get back into public school.

Ever since middle school River had been bullied for being attracted to men rather than woman. Once the word got out that the boy was gay it was a living Hell for him. At one point, the neighbourhood kids had hung him upside down on the flagpole with 'F****T' painted on his chest for all to see. Of course, the culprits were punished thoroughly, however, River's father was not satisfied. His family was not only supportive, but protective, so the final decision was to pull him into homeschooling his freshman year of high school. It wasn't until now, halfway through senior year that his father finally decided that Cherry Blossom was more gay friendly than other places and moved back with the hopes River could go back to being more social.

It wasn't that he hated being back in his hometown, he was a week into school and already he was catching up fast, though he wasn't making many friends. In fact, it seemed like the only thing he was actually making was sworn enemies. The shorter kid behind him, by the name of Keelin, was making it his mission to make River leave this town. It wasn't because he was gay, it was more of the fact that the town didn't usually take kindly to strangers, especially ones that had left and returned all the same. As the dirty brown haired boy came up behind River, he flicked the edge of his right ear and tried to pretend nothing had happened. River shot a glance at him for a moment before sighing, shaking his head and returning his gaze to the teacher, who was leading them to the Library.

As the group walked into the library, River could help but to be in awe of it. Two stories high and decorated with shelves upon shelves of books. In the middle of the first floor, where they were standing, laid the checkout station as well as defined desks surrounding computers and various scanners in a circle. His blue eyes nearly couldn't contain his joy, reading was something he'd always enjoyed. Yet the joy was not long lived as Keelin pushed him into the checkout desk, "You should really check yourself, you loser." he snorted as River whipped around to glare at him.

The teacher was paying no attention to him, too busy trying to explain to the other students the history and every detail that surrounded the antique Library. River was about to open his mouth to say something to Keelin but the boy grabbed a few locks of his black hair. "Listen kid, you need to beat it. You don't belong in this town and you know it. Only loyal members of Cherry Blossom are welcome and your family ain't one of them. If I were you, I'd just stay in the Library for the rest of the day. Not like you'll be attending this school anyway." Keelin laughed and let go of River as he frowned. Through all of this, he had decided it was better off not talking to him at all in order to less provoke any violence.

As Keelin started to slink off with the group, River stayed behind. The Librarian had been watching it seemed, because when he turned around she was standing there with a small book in her hands. She looked like an older woman, maybe sixty years of age with small, round glasses plastered on her face. River blinked for a moment, lowering his head a little. "I'm sorry for causing trouble." he apologized as the lady placed her left hand on his right shoulder, shaking her head.

"You can stay in here as long as you want, I don't mind." After that, it picked up his mood indefinitely. Just the thought of having this Library to himself seemed to be an adventure in its own. After the Hell he was going through with Keelin, old memories tended to stick themselves to the back of his head. It would do him some good to be wandering around the Library and reading some new books. River thanked the librarian and headed to the second floor to check out the Geography section in the back where a cluster of round tables were for students to study. He was so determined to get the books he wanted that he didn't see the college man sitting at one of those tables.

River had gotten so close to grabbing one of his favorite books; a nonfiction biology book, however, much to his dismay, he found it missing. He heard a soft cough and looked idly behind him, not giving too much attention to the noise, but his eyes widened as he saw that the man sitting at the table was holding the book that he was longing for. River went to open his mouth to say something, but he clamped it down shut. He thought he recognized this stranger, like he had seen him somewhere in his past. It wouldn't be surprising since he had spent some of his childhood here. He was hoping the blonde, muscular toned student would not notice him, but the attractive man suddenly peered up from his reading and as soon as his green eyes locked onto the dark haired high schooler's River’s breath was caught in his chest.

His eyes were piercing through River’s, the intensity of those lush forest orbs brought a blush to his frozen features as he simply stared.
“Aren’t you one of those high school students?” The man questioned, placing down his book on the table. “You can sit down if you want, I don’t bite.” His words brought him out of his stupor, the smile the older man gave was little but genuine and made River even more nervous, but he took the invitation anyways. He pulled back the chair with a small tremor in his hand and sat awkwardly, placing his hands on his lap to stop his trembling. He raised his lowered head just enough to peer his blue eyes at the book that now graced the table.

“Sorry for intruding.” River spoke softly, rubbing the back of his neck. The man tilted his head to one side, placing a hand on his chin. “Not a problem, I’d understand why you’d want to be here instead of out there,” He gestured out the window where River could see his class departing out of the building, many of the students pushing eachother and being very unrefined, “I’m Deren.” The blue eyed teen felt a shiver escape his spine at the name. He was right, he knew him. It was his childhood babysitter from when he was eight and had lived here. Deren’s mother knew River’s father and thus they had played together. The sudden thought made his face turn red, Deren blinking for a moment at the silence and his rubicund features. He leaned in closer to River, “Say…. don’t I know you?” River tensed before shooting up out of the chair, his mind going blank as words fell out his mouth.

“Um, no, of course not! No you don’t. Thank you for having me, bye!” River found himself pulling his bangs in an attempt to cover his face as he gave a quick, respectable bow before turning around and leaving, not listening to the scoldings shouted at him to not run in the Library. He attempted to calm his breathing once he was out the building’s doors, his group not too far in front of him. After his breath came back to him he quickly jogged to the cluster of students and slipped in with them. He bit into his lip for a moment, looking back to the Library and then back towards the group as they walked towards the buses. The only thing on his mind was heading home.

The walk home was quiet, pushing himself into his house after unlocking the door with his key he flopped down on the couch. River let out a moan of frustration, looking up at the t.v. before rolling onto his back and staring at the ceiling. Today’s events that had transpired were nothing less than disturbing to him. For some reason he couldn’t get Deren out of his head. His muscles, his hair, his eyes as well. He had nearly recognized him as well. A deep gut feeling he had told him things could only get worse. Deren was eight years older than him, it was awkward as it was when it had been a huge time jump. The two of them, were practically strangers now.

River’s house was quiet at this time of day, his parents were off who knows where and his sister was at soccer practice. It was a tall two story house, the stairs just beyond the door in the hallway where to the right when you walked in was the living room he had collapsed in. The couch on the far left wall, a small carpet underneath the glass coffee tables and a tv holstered on a cabinet in front of it. The entire house was covered in a wood floor.

It was like this on most days where he came home first, though what surprised him was hearing the doorbell go off. Grumbling to himself, he got up off the couch and shuffled towards the door. Looking through the peephole, he felt a lump form in his throat. It was Deren. River sighed and something compelled him to open the door, no matter how fast his heart was beating. He didn’t remove the chain only opening the door partly. “Can I help you?” River asked. As Deren smiled at him.

“I knew it, it was you. Don’t you remember me River, I used to babysit you.” That was an odd reunion. River sighed a little, undoing the chain he let the man step inside. Obviously taller than him Deren looked about six feet in height. River had to blink for a moment narrowing his eyes at him.

“You dyed your hair.” River touched his head for a moment, as Deren went to grab his hand the eighteen year old swiped his hand back and walked into the living room. Sitting on the couch. “D…-do you want some coffee or tea?” River rubbed his hands on his thighs. He didn’t like this situation at all, he felt all sorts of uncomfortable feelings washing over him as Deren stood in the small doorway to the living room.

“Sure, some coffee sounds nice.” Right, River stood up and rushed out to the kitchen. Leaving Deren in the living room, he just wanted a place to clear his head. He opened the cabinet to take out the instant coffee and went to warm up some cups of water. Trying to breath as he leaned against the island. Shutting his eyes, he tried to rationalize all of this. So his childhood friend and babysitter was here. He just walked into the house and now he was trying not to freak out over it. Why was he freaking out over it again? Who couldn’t resist those clean chiseled muscles, those green eyes, nice smile. River shook his head, he ran into him just today, he knew nothing about Deren. There was no love at first sight, it took a lot of hard work after all.

River went to brush his hands through his hair, he felt a hand on his shoulder and jumped up. Seeing Deren, his heart jumped a little. “You don’t have to be scared of me you know.” he whispered grabbing River’s wrist. River pulled away and went back to the coffee, continuing his process. As Deren just hovered over his shoulder.

“What are you doing here Deren…. is it normal to just pop into a stranger's house?” River questioned turning to him angrily just at the refrigerator. Deren kept a small smile on his face, being patient with the younger man.

“A stranger? That’s a bit harsh, I have known you for a while, sure we’re both adults now. But I’m hoping we haven’t changed much.” River had to laugh at him a little.

“Change much? You’re eight years older than me. I was eight Deren, eight! A lot has changed.” His blue eyes darted around the room. Deren settled his hands on River’s shoulder.

“Then why don’t we catch up, sit on the couch and just relax.” His heart pounded against his chest. He looked down and nodded his head, handing Deren’s coffee to him as they shuffled over to the couch. River tried to sit on the far right end, so that Deren was far away from him. He really knew how to fall for appearances at first glance. They sat there in silence for maybe a minute or two.

“So…. why did you come back?” Deren asked sipping his coffee. River sighed a little bit. “My father moved back because he wanted me to go back to public school. I was bullied in middle school and it got so bad that he had pulled me out.” he rubbed the back of his neck a little nervously.

“Really, a cool guy like you? What about girls, you must have them swarming over you.” Deren exclaimed. It made River a little uncomfortable, sure he did have girls ask him out before they had realized that he was gay. That was probably the hardest part was breaking hearts that he couldn’t entirely help.

“Cool guy like me, you probably have a girlfriend.” River waved his hand at Deren. The blonde would shake his head with a smile.

“Not really….. I’m actually in love with someone have been for a long time.” River felt his heart drop a bit. He didn’t know why that bothered him so much, but it did. Now he just wanted to go into his room and cry, but he heard a noise at the door as his dad came lumbering in.

“I’m home and I brought goodies!” His father exclaimed holding a grocery bag as River’s mother and sister walked in as well. They probably had picked her up on the way to the store. River stood up for a moment getting ready to explain why Deren was here but his father stopped and took one look at him. “It’s been forever!” He yelled out loud. River moved off to the side as his dad settled the bag on the counter Deren stood up and shook his hand with Deren.

“I’m going to start dinner.” River mumbled as he escaped to the kitchen. His sister following him as he leaned against the counter and groaned. Riley sat on the stool in front of him and smiled holding her phone in her hands. She brushed her hands through her blonde hair, blue eyes staring at River.

“Sooo…. what have you been doing all this time? Boy got your tongue?” she teased him as River glared at her a little.

“No, he’s already in love with someone besides who knows he’s probably not even gay.” He threw his hands up in the air and looked in the fridge, pulling out some instant mash potatoes, green beans and the chicken that had been thawing all day. Riley patted the island for a moment.

“I’ve read too many gay stories to know what’s going on River. You like him, and he’s just trying to play you. The person he’s in love with issss you.” Riley smiled and turned on the chair before vanishing into the living room. River stuck out his tongue at his teenage sister before sighing. Though, she had a point, he was only hoping that she was actually right.

River wasn’t entirely sure of his feelings at this point, he just continued on making dinner. He found it irresponsible to act on these feelings when they were created in the matter of hours. He would try to forget about them as he pulled food onto plates and served them out to family. Deren and his father were having a swell time with his mother. His sister was playing on her phone like usual and after River finished eating he simply quietly returned to the kitchen.

Soon sunset had come upon the house, River was washing dishes in his own thoughts. As he watched Deren come in beside him. Setting a plate off to the side the blue eyed man looked at him. The older man would then grab his shoulders and pull him closer planting his lips on the others. At first River panicked, he felt his muscles tighten and his eyes go wide. Yet an unbelievable feeling washed over him as well, with no words to describe it. He closed his eyes, and then pulled his hands in front of him pushing Deren away from him.

“I love you.” Deren whispered as River tried to catch his breath wiping his mouth with his arms.

“Get out!” River pointed to the doorway. “Get out of our house right now.” he was furious, even if he had enjoyed it he was still furious that it had happened. Deren went a bit dark for a moment, frowning at River. “Don’t you dare get mad at me, don’t you understand. You don’t just burst into my house and….. k-kiss me. It’s rude.”

“I understand… I’ll go home.” Deren turned around and left the kitchen, River just stood there until he heard the front door close. Letting a sigh leave his lips, he tried to get his heart to stop beating so fast. After a few minutes, he went into the living room and explained to his family that Deren had something to do and that was why he had gone home. As the teenager headed to his bedroom he collapsed on the bed and groaned. Tomorrow was another day at school, and another day of torture of thinking about Deren.



© 2015 Riv


Author's Note

Riv
Half of it is edited the other is not, I'll fix it when it's fully edited thank you my friend for being my editor. Any critique is welcome this novel is one I am hoping to publish.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Right. This is off to a good start. Actually, correction. This is off to a great start. XD The dialogue is so natural for a teen (and I should know, being one). The sarcasm the self-doubt, the mood swings. It's perfectly done. The romance might be a bit soon, but then this is a romance novel so it's not really a big deal. In a way, your just dropping the reader right into it.

Few things I personally was not thrilled about: Your introduction was a bit long. I understand that you have to describe the setting and give the reader an idea about the character, but five full paragraphs without any dialogue and just 'this is what's happening' is slightly too long for me at least.

I am of course very glad I went through it however, because the rest of the story was very well written.

One other thing: Your last three paragraphs are confusing. I understand you're still editing, but you switch your verb usage. And for a few sentences I was unsure whether or not River and Deren actually kissed. What you have written at the moment is 'The older man would then grab his shoulders and pull him closer planting his lips on the others.' This gave me the impression that River was fantasizing... until I read the rest and realized it actually happened.

Great start, I hope to read more. I'm sorry for the really loooong review. I tend to be long winded when I'm enthusiastic. :P
Wall of Words

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Riv

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for the review it means a lot considering I'm trying to get this book published. I.. read more
Wall of Words

8 Years Ago

My pleasure. :)



Reviews

well that's a very well written and thought out story, you seem to be a really strong writer, i'm not a story writer so i don't have a great deal of advice about stories, i'm a i know what i like type and i like this, you're doing really well, great writing :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


It's an awesome story... I like River's character throughout the story... love the way it developed. It's a good story good work :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Well... I think its a great start. You should develop this story more. I like it.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Right. This is off to a good start. Actually, correction. This is off to a great start. XD The dialogue is so natural for a teen (and I should know, being one). The sarcasm the self-doubt, the mood swings. It's perfectly done. The romance might be a bit soon, but then this is a romance novel so it's not really a big deal. In a way, your just dropping the reader right into it.

Few things I personally was not thrilled about: Your introduction was a bit long. I understand that you have to describe the setting and give the reader an idea about the character, but five full paragraphs without any dialogue and just 'this is what's happening' is slightly too long for me at least.

I am of course very glad I went through it however, because the rest of the story was very well written.

One other thing: Your last three paragraphs are confusing. I understand you're still editing, but you switch your verb usage. And for a few sentences I was unsure whether or not River and Deren actually kissed. What you have written at the moment is 'The older man would then grab his shoulders and pull him closer planting his lips on the others.' This gave me the impression that River was fantasizing... until I read the rest and realized it actually happened.

Great start, I hope to read more. I'm sorry for the really loooong review. I tend to be long winded when I'm enthusiastic. :P
Wall of Words

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Riv

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for the review it means a lot considering I'm trying to get this book published. I.. read more
Wall of Words

8 Years Ago

My pleasure. :)
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
dan
LimnoH, I'm sorry but I am unable to read such long pieces. I have a MH disorder that interferes with my focus and concentration; I tend to get lost. I'm so sorry. take care..dan

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

206 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 4, 2015
Last Updated on June 4, 2015


Author

Riv
Riv

Apple Valley, CA



About
Alright, let's do this. My name is Riv or Abby. Either one works. I'm eighteen years old and really love writing poetry on my spare time. While I do write novels and wish to publish one or a few one d.. more..

Writing
Crystals Crystals

A Poem by Riv


Cage Cage

A Poem by Riv


Waiting Waiting

A Poem by Riv



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..