Chapter 1: The Crime of the Century

Chapter 1: The Crime of the Century

A Chapter by President LincPwln

Book One of Three: A Time for the Stars

Wherein the tale of how mankind reaches the stars is told, and also some of the stuff it did while it was there.

'Sacré bleu!'
Professor Jean-Croissant, curator of the Louvre in Paris, stumbled back; aghast at the incredible improbability before him. The fabled Crystal Diamond of Emperor Cixuha Tzacho, a recent acquisition found hidden away in a Pre-Colombian sombrero, was seemingly fading from existence! As if it were ashes blowing away in the wind, the priceless artifact turned to dust, rose into a vortex and vanished without a trace.
'Merde!' the Profesor cursed. 'How did zis happen!'
'I think I can answer that.'
"The professor turned towards the voice. At the entrance to the room, he saw a silhouette aiming a pistol at a nearby Rembrandt portrait."
'What! Who are you! How did you get here!' the Professor exclaimed.
'Elementary, my dear Croissant' the figure replied. 'I merely came as a patron during visiting hours and then, when closing time came, hid within my own shoes; so as to avoid the ire of security.'
'What! Why! Was this your doing!' Croissant replied as he gestured towards the vanished jewel.
'This, my dear Croissant, is merely an illusion, but I think you'll find the real culprit behind it here!'
The silhouette fired its pistol. The portrait flickered in and out of existence, a loud explosion was heard and the Rembrandt disappeared, revealing a hidden passage behind and a bullet damaged projector placed so as to hide the portal's existence with faux-art.
'Bu- but how did this get here? How did you know?' the Professor replied.
'That, my friend, shall be revealed in time. For now, we must press on, and stop the culprit behind this lamentable act before he can strike again!'
The mysterious figure leapt through the opening and began to make his way through the tunnel as, behind him, the professor chased after.
The adventurous pair continued one in silence, walking in darkness for what seemed an age. Eventually, the tunnel began to slope sharply down, and the walls grew wet and moss ridden.
'Merde!' the increasingly fowl mouthed Professor cursed. 'All this was hidden in front of my very eyes!'
'It gets worse.' his mysterious companion replied.
'What do you mean?'
The pair reached a dead end in the tunnel and the Professors companion, face still obscured by the dense shadows of the subterranean passage, began to examine the edges of the wall.
'Ah' he said. 'Here it is.'
He pushed a brick back and the wall, evidently hanging on a form of mechanical hinge, swung open, revealing a well stocked wine cellar within.
'Merde!' the Professor exclaimed. 'I believe the villain to our tale should be found somewhere near.'
The Professors companion made his way out of the tunnel, drew his pistol and stepped towards the cellar door. The door slowly creaked open and the figure crept around it, into a well decorated foyer that lay beyond. Professor Jean-Croissant followed stealthily afterwards, keeping his eyes out for any threat, but, as he made his way into the foyer, he realised something.
'My word!' he spoke under his breath. 'This is my home!'



© 2011 President LincPwln


Author's Note

President LincPwln
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crime_of_the_Century_%281933_film%29

I most likely left some spelling/grammar errors in this. Advice on that or anything else is appreciated. Chapt 2 at some point between tomorrow and this time next week.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

221 Views
Added on August 10, 2011
Last Updated on August 26, 2011


Author

President LincPwln
President LincPwln

Wollongong, NSW, Australia



About
I don't mean to brag or anything, but I am the greatest writer, lover and all-around awesome dude on the face of the Earth more..

Writing