Inner thoughts

Inner thoughts

A Story by The_Fox
"

Just a late night bit of stuff that I feel I want to put down.

"
Every once in a while. I often get that feeling late at night, where I find it difficult to sleep. As I stare up at the ceiling in my bed. Resting beneath the warm embrace of my blankets as my head rests upon the silky soft pillow there behind me. I ponder on the events of the day.

Lately though its just been this, constant revolving thing. Like the days repeat themselves and begin to mold together so that I find it difficult to tell which day is which. I often find it easy to lose track of the date too. Thinking that its two days, or four days ahead of the day that it actually is. Curious.

A fly lands on the ceiling and my eyes dart to watch the creature. It rests there, cleaning itself with its forelegs. Wiping its face, disgusting creature. I want to stand up and swat it but I don't move. The bed beneath me is too comfortable. Then the fly turns its head and looks down at me, staring. And I stare back. Why is this fly watching me?

The night drags on, the clock ticks away the minutes and I still lie there. So difficult to sleep and though I yawn and shift I simply cannot get my mind to stop ticking away. I can hear the sounds outside my window, hums of factories working late into the night. The sound of traffic flying up and down the highway. Enough white noise that I should easily be able to sleep. And yet..... I can't. This troubles me.

The fly returns. Staring at me. Why is it staring at me? I hate that fly. There is something wrong with that fly. Something dark and sinister. Maybe that is why I cannot sleep. Because as it lands, on my ceiling or on a wall. It always stares at me. Never blinking and barely moving. I can feel it getting ready to move. Waiting for me to rest.

© 2013 The_Fox


Author's Note

The_Fox
Care to share your opinion on this odd bit of work? I left it open at the end, thinking that maybe the readers imagination can fill in the rest?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A very interesting read that I thoroughly enjoyed. I like the open endedness of it too. I get the feeling the fly is supposed to represent something and I had an idea of what a minute ago, but now I've forgotten...

Anyway, an interesting and mysterious short story, well done!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The_Fox

10 Years Ago

Awesome. Well I'm certainly thrilled to see that you found it enjoyable. I look forward to your revi.. read more
The_Fox

8 Years Ago

Wow I can't believe its been two years since I wrote that! Holy crap how time flies!



Reviews

Some of the sentence structure feels more like poetry than actual sentences but I rather like the effect. That fly is absolutely creepy.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The_Fox

10 Years Ago

Hahaha yeah, and whats more creepy? There really was a fly in my room when I wrote this. Lol inspira.. read more
Very interesting and original piece. Funny, creepy and comforting all at time. And yes, I really want to know what that fly is up to.

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

A very interesting read that I thoroughly enjoyed. I like the open endedness of it too. I get the feeling the fly is supposed to represent something and I had an idea of what a minute ago, but now I've forgotten...

Anyway, an interesting and mysterious short story, well done!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The_Fox

10 Years Ago

Awesome. Well I'm certainly thrilled to see that you found it enjoyable. I look forward to your revi.. read more
The_Fox

8 Years Ago

Wow I can't believe its been two years since I wrote that! Holy crap how time flies!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

197 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 18, 2013
Last Updated on July 18, 2013

Author

The_Fox
The_Fox

Prescott Valley, AZ



About
I am fairly new to the writing scene. At one time I had been posting stories on another writing site, but the site shut down before I could complete what I had going. I can only hope that others will .. more..

Writing