Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
My last Nightmare

My last Nightmare

A Story by The_Fox
"

I've decided after some time, that I might share a.... stranger dream with people on Writers Cafe. In perhaps to see what they might think of the events that took place in my shared dream.

"
Mind you, as I begin with this small story. Though it may expand into something quite large depending on how much I can recollect. I am going solely off of pure memory.

As most human children, I lived in constant fear at night. Mainly due to events having taken place during the day. Things that I had seen and interacted with. Though mostly it seemed many of my more common night terrors stemmed from the television.
In those days, I had a great many fears but my worst and total fears it seemed fell mostly upon the skeletons of humans and other animals. And upon looking back at my former years I cannot seem to remember exactly why... Now I look upon the structure of the body with fascination. Finding no fear upon the bones of either the dead or recreations of bodies. Whether human or not.

What possibly may disturb me the most upon remembering it all is that none of the frightening dreams I had, never involved such bony figures walking about without flesh or a true living mind to control them. Though my dreams of terror were often quite dramatic and seemed to happen on a regular basis. And one dream in particular haunted me for many a night. Recurring over and over again in its horrid reality. One of those dreams where everything is so realistic that one isn't truly aware of actually dreaming.


It usually began with my exploration of a nearby high school. Wandering the grounds in the dead of night with a light fog drifting along the ground and the barest of illumination from the full moon above. And as absurd as this may seem despite the large body filling the night sky with its ghostly specter. The ground and area around me never seemed to be fully filled with the soft white light of the moons glow. Thus as you can imagine it was quite scary. And to add to that terror there always had been this feeling of being followed by.... something. Though I could never really tell exactly what.

A glance through a fence might show if for a small amount of time the red glowing eyes lighting up the foggy mist as it watched me. Releasing low growls of the spine tingling variety. Such sounds making me flee in terror and attempt to claw my way out of that reality. Though often this was not easy and neither did the terror fully fade away. As in the way of dreams most can escape such horrible things either by waking up or shifting into another more pleasant dream. For me however this was not possible with such nightmares. As they gripped my subconsciousness with such fear that I found it far more productive to just run for my life. Often chased by the creature of my fears. And always with the growling just footsteps behind. But otherwise silent. No true foot steps, whether two or four behind me.

As said this dream seemed to come at me in random intervals throughout my childhood. Sometimes once a night, once a week or if I were lucky only once a month. But I always repeated it and grew to despise the horrid terror that it gave me. And though I likely had many other nightmares and scary dreams that I cannot even begin to dredge up from my memory. I can honestly remember this one quite vividly and truly there is only one reason why..... I beat it.


Years later, roughly around the time I had begun my twentieth years of life. The dream came upon me once again. And it was just as horrible as I remembered from my childhood. The fog, the bare illumination from the dream. Exploring the high school's grounds to which I might add I never actually went for schooling. Which was perhaps why the dream was so much more terrifying to me. And once again I found myself being chased by this nightmarish phantom with its eerie glowing red eyes and low growls. Growing ever closer as I ran, completely lost in the grounds of a school I truly did not know. Because as again. I had never actually attended.
As I ran I happened to look back and found myself staring into a massive face that contained the two glowing red eyes. And upon close examination if for a brief moment. I finally got a full view of exactly what it is that has been terrifying me for so very long.
This creature was a massive wild bore. Easily the size of a car, growling out loud at me with those massive red glowing eyes. Salivating from its huge mouth filled with an assortment of many sharp spike like teeth drooling spittle and blood. Indeed in real life, boars are known to be extremely aggressive and can. If provoked cause some rather bad physical harm. But this.... monster... in the nightmare was so surreal I couldn't even begin to make my mind wrap around why this horrible thing had been haunting me for so very long.

Thus, on I ran in absolute terror with the creature tailing me for what felt like hours. Until finally I had had enough! This dream came upon me so regularly as I remember that eventually I just found I could not take being hounded by the monster any longer. So I came to a dead stop. Shouting out with all of my might "ENOUGH!!" And in that instant I whirled around with a wooden baseball bat somehow appearing in my hands. Wrapped with razor wire and large spikes along the broad part where one would normally hit a baseball.. The creature burst up to me and I brought the weapon down hard upon its skull. As hard as I may. And incredibly or perhaps in the way of dreams. I managed to completely overpower the incredibly massive creature and began to pounding it into the dirt with the weapon. Pounding and pounding mercilessly until nothing remained but a pile of mushy bloody remains that squelched beneath my final blows.

Finally.... and at last. The nightmare faded away. For the very first time the hellish and strange world of that dream faded away just as mist would fade in the hot sun. And though indeed from time to time I do still experience strange dreams. Due to the events of this one nightmare. I have never had a real nightmare since.

© 2015 The_Fox


Author's Note

The_Fox
Perfect time of the month to release this eh? Halloween is very soon! If it hasn't passed already for some anyway.

I apologize for any mistakes in my writing and I should also mention. This was a real nightmare that I had. And is in fact a true story!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
Added on October 30, 2015
Last Updated on October 30, 2015

Author

The_Fox
The_Fox

Prescott Valley, AZ



About
I am fairly new to the writing scene. At one time I had been posting stories on another writing site, but the site shut down before I could complete what I had going. I can only hope that others will .. more..

Writing
Inner thoughts Inner thoughts

A Story by The_Fox