Bittersweet Love

Bittersweet Love

A Story by Faye
"

A small snippet that I randomly came up with one day. It echoed in my head all that day until I finally wrote it down.

"

"Marry me."


"What?" Her cheeks color like blooming rose petals and her soft mouth forms the "O" of surprise.  Her dainty fingers are quick to conceal this, out of habit seeking to remedy this breach of etiquette.


"Do you not love me?"  His expression is as gentle as his grip as he takes her hands in his own, his smile teasing her—it is but a joke to him, he knows her heart.


But her eyes implore him, she needs coaxing, guidance, she is unsure.


"Do you love me," he questions again, the jest gone from his lips; he needs to hear it.


Her hand leaves her mouth; her brows are furrowed ever-so-slightly as she searches the world around her for the answer.  "I'm not sure."


Elegant brows rise, he wasn't expecting this, but he can see her heart still—he does not falter.  "Not sure?" he coaxes.


Her eyes dart about, helpless, looking for escape. She's flustered; the color deepens in her cheeks as she finds the words.  "When you are near, my heart screams the words, but how can I be sure?  How can I know that what I feel is love?"  Her eyes find his, pleadingly.


The smile returns, reassured; adoration has replaced jest.  "Kiss me," he commands calmly.


"What?" The color rises again, threatening to set her stray locks aflame.


"Kiss me," he whispers, and without waiting for her response, his lips descend upon hers, devouring them—the forbidden dessert he hadn't dared dream of until now.


When he pulls away, reluctant, she is breathless.  He watches her patiently, content to simply breathe her in until she is ready.


The dazed look leaves her eyes, and she meets his gaze.  "What did it taste like?"


The flame, which had been fading from her cheeks, suddenly flares up again.  "Taste?"


"Yes, the taste, dear girl."  He clasps her hands urgently in his own as her lips move but release no sound.  "Come, girl, the lives of mortal men are short, and I would have you as my bride tonight!"


A smile tugs at her lips and dazed wonder clouds her eyes, followed by uncertainty.  She lowers her gaze, he voice quiet.  "It was…bittersweet."


He beams down at her, cupping her cheek in his soft palm and raising her gaze to meet his.  He whispers softly, "Then it is love."


Hand in hand the lovers retreat, no words needed after this exchange.  Love cloaks them, its current sweetness shielding them from all evil along their path.  Tonight is the night that church bells ring.  Bitter days are a long time off and love, like candy, may chase it away.

© 2009 Faye


Author's Note

Faye
not much, but just wondering what anyone thinks of it

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I would say it was simple, short and very profound. The bit towards the end emphasized... not love but the journey when you are In love. haha, if that made any sense. I liked it =]
Great work.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

257 Views
1 Review
Added on November 21, 2009

Author

Faye
Faye

FL



About
I am a 20 year old college student and writer. Forced to grow up at three years of age, I was abused for most of my life, and such events have twisted and shaped my life like clay on the pottery whee.. more..

Writing
Her Her

A Poem by Faye