Chapter Three - Witches and Joining's

Chapter Three - Witches and Joining's

A Chapter by Lisa Jane Creed

Chapter Three �" Witches and Joining's

 

The air had grown heavy and damp, thick fog had rolled in around us and the sounds of creatures croaking, chirping, and hooting could be heard. Tall warped trees, and swamps as far as the eye could see. The Korcari Wilds were not inviting! Alistair had taken point, he was the only one of us who could sense the presence of the Darkspawn. I followed next, my hand on the hilt of my sword at all times. I listened as hard as I could, familiarising myself with the sounds of the swamp so that anything new I would notice. Behind me Daveth walked steadily two daggers in hand, he was watching attentively for any movement through the fog. At the rear was Ser Jory, he was a tall and broad man, he carried a great sword on his back.

 

We had been walking for just over an hour when Alistair stopped and raised up a hand. He crouched down and we did the same, following him as he led us off the muddy trail we had been walking along and into the trees. When we were quite submerged in the brush he stopped watching off into the distance. I moved as close to him as I could before I spoke not wanting to raise my voice too much to be heard.

“What is it?” I asked over his shoulder. Alistair pointed through the fog, it took me a few moments to adjust my eyes but I saw it too. A pile of bodies littered the road ahead of us, a cart smashed to smithereens and the carcass of the horse who had been pulling it.

“Looks like a patrol of the kings men were ambushed.” Alistair whispered.

“Darkspawn?” I asked.

“Most likely but I don’t sense anything.” Alistair rubbed the stubble on his face thoughtfully.

“If you don’t sense darkspawn why are me kneeling down in this infernal bog, lets keep moving Alistair!” called Ser Jory in a more raised voice.

“Keep your voice down Jory!” Daveth said turning to him.

“I may not sense them but they can soon appear without much notice. Duncan entrusted me with keeping the three of you safe and that’s what I intend to do.

“So what’s the plan?” I asked him.

“We will slowly go and take a look at the scene, hopefully we will find some clues as to where the darkspawn went.”

We all slowly followed Alistair toward the dead men and the cart.

“Keep your guard up, Ser Jory take watch. The rest of us see what you can find” Alistair instructed.

I moved slowly through the bodies, the wounds they had inflicted were terrible to witness, some had lost limbs and one their head. Blood pooled in the puddles of water that surrounded them. I searched the ground, looking at the footprints, the darkspawns stood out easily from the soldiers.

“I think everyone is dead.” Ser Jory said close by.

“No wait, over here look.” I called softly.

“What is it?” Alistair asked moving toward me.

“Look just here… someone dragged themselves off into the bushes. Can you see the footprints, his leg was injured he was dragging it along the floor.” Alistair seemed surprised at my ability to read the tracks.

“He might still be alive, no one followed him.” I started to follow the tracks.

“Daveth, Ser Jory stay here with the cart we will be right back, keep searching.” Alistair instructed.

 

It wasn’t long before Alistair and I came across the injured solider. He was leaning against a tree, out of breath and clutching his leg in pain.

“Who is that?” he said reaching for his sword laid on the ground at his side. “Show yourselves!” he was shaking with fright.

“Its alright, we are Grey Wardens.” Alistair called holding up his hands slowly, so he didn’t spook the soldier.

“Thank goodness, I thought I was done for.” He said dropping his sword in exhaustion.

“What happened?” I asked as Alistair removed bandages and herbs from his bag.

“We were bringing a supply cart through, letters food and such to the kings camp at Ostagar. We were ambushed, there were too many of them.” He was shaking again his eyes full of dread.

“Ambushed by the darkspawn?” I asked. Alistair had wrapped up the man’s leg now. He simply nodded at me in response.

“My leg, I couldn’t fight, they showed no mercy, the screaming, I didn’t want to die. So… I made it into the bushes and I kept going until I couldn’t walk anymore.” I nodded in silence.

“Your alright now, the herbs will help numb the pain, the bandages will stop the bleeding.”

“Thank you. I… I’ve got to get out of here.” He said grabbing his sword before slowly getting to his feet.

“Can you make it to the camp? Its quite far?” Alistair asked.

“I’ll make it thanks to you both.”

 

We slowly made our way back to the others who were surprised to see us appear with the injured soldier. He explained again to our group about the attack as best he could remember. Then gathering some of the letters that hadn’t been damaged in the attack and a little food he said wished us well and started along the road back the way we had come.

“Do you think he will be alright?” Ser Jory asked.

“Alistair patched him up just fine, we saw no other trouble on the road here, It shouldn’t take him long.”

“There are other patrols we passed along the road on our way, they are sure to find him.”

“But shouldn’t we have taken him back ourselves?” Ser Jory asked.

“We must focus on the task given to us, we have done what we can for the soldier.” Replied Alistair.

“Did you hear what he said though? An entire patrol of seasoned men killed by these darkspawn!”

“Calm yourself Ser Jory. We’ll be fine if we’re careful.” Alistair said adding some loose fruit from the cart to his pack.

“Those soldiers were careful, they were still overwhelmed. How many darkspawn can the four of us slay? A dozen? A hundred? There’s an entire army in these forests” Ser Jory looked around as if a darkspawn would jump out of the swamp at him at any second.

“There are darkspawn about that’s true, but we’re in no danger of walking into the bulk of the horde.”

“How do you know? I’m not a coward, but this is foolish and reckless. We should go back.” He said still looking around nervously. I was growing tired of this man and his complaining. We had a job to do and I trusted Alistair’s judgement.

“You sound like a coward to me!” I snapped before turning to look at the darkspawn prints on the ground. I would find where they had gone and we could follow them.

“I… am simply trying to stay alive you do not see me fleeing, do you?

“Look I understand… a bit of fear isn’t unnatural, you know. Few relish meeting darkspawn up close. I know I don’t. Alistair said shuddering.

“Then lets just get this over with. The tracks lead off this way, they went along the road heading north.” I replied from the edge of the massacre.

“Know this.” Alistair said pointing at Ser Jory. “All Grey Wardens can sense darkspawn. Whatever their cunning, I guarantee they won’t take us by surprise. That’s why I’m here.” He turned and followed me along the path. Daveth followed too, Ser Jory sighed but came along at the rear.

“You see, ser knight? We might die, but we’ll be warned about it first.” Chuckled Daveth.

“That is… reassuring.” Ser Jory said agitatedly.

“I may be here to sense the darkspawn, it doesn’t mean I’m here to make it easy. Focus and lets get a move on!”

 

Despite the thick warm air of the swamp I was surprised to see beautiful varieties of flowers and plants growing as we followed the darkspawn’s tracks. One such flower had been crushed under their steps, pressed into the soft mud. I leaned down to pick it up and suddenly thought of my mother. I could see her in the castle gardens, planting all sorts of flowers and herbs. I could see her smiling at me as she spotted me from across the garden. She would stand and move toward me hands outstretched to embrace me in a warm hug.

“That flower… white with a red centre. The Kennel master at Ostagar was looking for those.” Daveth’s voice snapped me from my daydream.

“Why did he want them? Do you know?” I asked.

“The kennel master said the flower can help the dogs that get sick from biting the darkspawn. A lot of them quite often die from the blood poisoning them.” I thought of Bale back at the camp with Duncan. He had never fought a darkspawn. Would he be poisoned too? I grabbed a few more of the flowers and placed them in my pack to return to the kennel master.

 

We hadn’t gone much further when we heard noises sounding ahead through the fog. We slipped off the road into the bushes again as Alistair signalled us to do so.

“They are here… not far ahead of us.” He said.

“You sense them Alistair?” I asked him. He nodded in reply.

“They must have stopped at the old Warden Outpost. Its close and so are they.”

We crept slowly on, keeping off the main road but close enough to still see and follow it. Eventually it opened out and the road seemed to disappear. There was a large expanse of water, ruins of a long since abandoned outpost were sunken into the water. The loud sounds of the darkspawn could be heard. They had clearly made camp and were not going anywhere anytime soon. Daveth, who had gone to scout ahead crept towards us as we crouched down in the brush.

“There’s about a dozen of them, only one way in. The water has swallowed most of the ground around the ruins. There’s no way we can take them by surprise.” I turned to Alistair who was deep in thought.

“We could wait till they sleep… I mean do darkspawn need sleep?” Ser Jory asked. We all turned to look at him.

“So what’s the plan?” Daveth asked.

“I have a suggestion.” I said suddenly. The men turned to look at me.

“Alistair and Jory cause a scene, pull some of them out of the camp, then Daveth and I will go in and take the rest of them.” I proposed.

“That could work.” Daveth nodded. Alistair was looking at me deep in thought.

“Alright, but be careful. I haven’t come this far to lose you!” he said. He and Ser Jory headed off toward the road leaving us to wait.

 

It wasn’t long before the sounds of commotion began, we saw the dark figures of at least half the group running off into the swamp looking for Alistair and Ser Jory. Daveth and I sprinted back onto the road and followed the path into the ruins to find the rest of them. I pulled a well crafted bow from my back and strung an arrow. The sound of Daveth unsheathing his daggers behind me but I stayed focused pulling back the arrow ready to fire at the sign of darkspawn.

Movement suddenly out of the corner of my right eye, as I turned it charged toward me, its mouth wide open, sharp teeth snapping and drool oozing from its mouth. I aimed at its foul face and let the arrow fly, instantly pulling a second, notching and pulling back ready for the next. I saw Daveth fighting a second and third. I spun around quickly and fired at the second darkspawn as Daveth lunged his daggers into the third.

As Daveth turned to thank me he called out in warning. I dropped my bow, squatted, pulled out my dagger, spun around and lunged up at another darkspawn who had crept behind me. The dagger sliced up through his jaw like it was butter. Its body crumpled pinning me to the floor. I heard more fighting and footsteps as I used all my strength to remove the darkspawn’s body. Once I was up I pulled out my sword spinning to where I could hear the commotion. Alistair, Ser Jory and Daveth were fighting two darkspawn but another in the distance was drawing an arrow and preparing to fire. I wasn’t going to make it in time, the darkspawn was about to kill one of my companions. I screamed, in anger mostly but in hope of drawing its attention. I started to charge at him as I called out. The creature spun, bow drawn to fire at me instead. I saw the arrow flying toward me but it was as if it had hit some invisible force. It shattered into splinters, the darkspawn looked confused right before I swung down my sword to end him.

 

Breathing heavily I fell to the floor in exhaustion. Ser Jory ran over to me crouching down to check I was ok.

“Are you injured Elissa?” he asked.

“I’m quite alright, thank you. Just a little winded.” I replied taking deep breaths. We all took a moment to compose ourselves, Alistair moved between the darkspawn bodies gathering their blood in three vials.

“Lets head inside the watchtower and look for the scrolls.” He said once he had finished. He moved over and held out his hand to me.

The familiar shock flickered through my hand as I took hold of it. He pulled me to my feet carefully.

“This is a beautiful bow you’ve got here Elissa.” Daveth said picking it up where I had left it on the ground.

“Thank you, It was my mothers.”

“The dagger too.” He said pulling it from the darkspawn’s jaw.

“A gift from my father.”

“They must miss you!” he asked.

“They are in the makers care now. This is all I have left of them.” I replied.

“I’m sorry…” I smiled at him reassuringly. Alistair was watching me now, I wondered if he was thinking about when he had asked me about my reasons for Joining the Grey Wardens earlier on.

 

We headed into what remained of the watchtower in search of the scrolls that Duncan had asked us to find. There was nothing left, not a scrap of paper anywhere to be seen. We were just about to leave when an unfamiliar voice sounded around the empty walls.

“Scavenger or intruder?” We all spun to watch a raven haired woman walking slowly towards us. Her appearance was almost as wild as the swamp we were stood within and she carried a long staff at her back. An apostate mage perhaps? How we had not heard her enter the room I didn’t know. I thought about the darkspawn’s arrow that had shattered in thin air. Had she been watching the battle? Had she intervened and protected me?

“Scavenger or intruder? What say you, hmm?” she asked almost to me.

“I am neither. The Grey Wardens once owned this tower.” I replied simply.

“Tis a tower no longer.” She said holding her arms open and looking around the ruins. “The Wilds have obviously claimed this desiccated corpse.” She said a slight smile on her lips.

“I have watched your progress for some time. “Where do they go?” I wonder “why are they here?”” So she had been watching us.

“You don’t have to answer her. She looks Chaisind, that means others may be nearby.” Alistair said attempting to push me back behind him.

“You there. Women do not frighten like little boys. Tell me your name and I shall tell you mine.” She said ignoring Alistair. I moved past him closer towards the mysterious woman. She was right, I was not afraid and I had a strong suspicion I owed her my life.

“You can call me Elissa.” I said simply, dropping my formal titles. She smiled pleased with my response.

“And you can call me Morrigan, if you wish.” She replied. “Shall I guess your purpose here in this… tower?” She asked. “You sought something that is here no longer.” She smiled again.

“Here no longer? You stole them didn’t you? You’re… some kind of… sneaky… witch-thief!” Alistair said shaking his finger at Morrigan. I looked at him raising an eye at him.

“How very eloquent. How does one steal from dead men?” she asked him smiling.

“Quite easily it seems. Those documents are Grey Warden property and I suggest you return them!” he demanded.

“Alistair how do we even know they were here to begin with? This outpost has been abandoned for hundreds of years!” asked Ser Jory.

“They were protected here with magic when the outpost was abandoned until such time as they would be needed again. They should be here, so you will give them back!” he snapped at Morrigan.

“I will not, for ‘twas not I who removed them. Invoke a name that means nothing here any longer if you wish; I am not threatened.” She said calmly.

“Then could you tell us who removed them?” I asked her.

“‘Twas my mother, in fact.” She replied surprisingly.

“Could you take us to her Morrigan?” I asked.

“Now there is a sensible request. I like you!” she said smiling. I smiled back.

“I’d be careful. First it’s, “I like you…” but then “zap!” Frog time.” Alistair warned me.

“She’ll put us all in the pot, she will. Just you watch.” Daveth called out.

“If the pot’s warmer than this forest, it’d be a nice change.” Said Ser Jory. Morrigan and I looked at the men in annoyance.

“Follow me then, if it pleases you.” She said before leading us deeper into the Wilds.

 

We had no idea where we were going but before long an old lopsided hut appeared out of the fog. An old woman emerged from the doorway and moved to greet us.

“Greetings, Mother. I bring before you four Grey Wardens who…”

“I see them girl. Hmm… much as I expected.” She nodded taking us in.

“Are we supposed to believe you were expecting us?” Alistair said.

“You are required to do nothing, least of all believe. Shut ones eyes tight or open ones arms wide… either way ones a fool!” she replied with a laugh.

“She’s a witch, I’m telling you! We shouldn’t be talking to her!” Daveth warned us.

“Quiet Daveth! If she’s really a witch, do you want to make her mad?” Ser Jory snapped at him.

“Here is a smart lad. Sadly irrelevant to the larger scheme of things, but it is not I who decides. Believe what you will. What of you? Does your woman’s mind give you a different viewpoint? Or do you believe as these boys do?” said Morrigan’s mother to me.

“I’m not as foolish as this lot if that’s what your asking.” She laughed out loud her voice ringing across the swamp.

“So much about you is uncertain… and yet I believe. Do I? Why, it seems I do!” she said talking to herself but still almost inspecting us.

“So this is a dreaded witch of the Wilds?” Alistair scoffed.

“Witch of the Wilds, eh? Morrigan must have told you that. She fancies such tales, though she would never admit it! Oh, how she dances under the moon!” she laughed out loud at herself yet again.

“They did no come to listen to your wild tales, mother,” Morrigan reminded her mother.

“True, they came for their treaties, yes? Before you being barking, your precious seal wore off long ago. I have protected these for years!” she snapped at Alistair.

“You… protected them?” he asked surprised.

“Why wouldn’t I? Take them to your Grey Wardens and tell them this Blight’s threat is greater than they realise!” she said handing the scrolls to me.

“Thank you for returning them.” I said politely bowing to her.

“Such manners! Always in the last place you look. Like stockings!” she smiled. “Oh don’t mind me. You have what you came for! Morrigan see your guests safely out of the Wilds!” she said heading back toward the hut.

“Oh, very well mother. This way then, follow me.”

 

By the time we had made it back to the camp at Ostagar it was nightfall. Many of the solders had left ready for the battle ahead. We made our way back toward Duncan but not before I stopped to hand over the flowers I had found to the kennel master.

“I was told that these could help your sick Mabari?” I asked him.

“Thank you, I don’t know for certain but its worth trying. Here take this silver in thanks. Its not much but it’s all I have…”

“That’s alright, I have my own Mabari, if those flowers help one dog I will be content. Your silver is not necessary.”

“Thanks to you we might not loose as many hounds as I feared!”

I nodded and moved on through the camp until I reached Duncan waiting for me with the others.

“So you have returned, have you been successful?” he asked us.

“We have.” I pulled out the scrolls from my pack. Alistair held out the vials of darkspawn blood.

“Good. I’ve had the Circle mages preparing. With the blood you’ve retrieved we can begin the Joining immediately.” Duncan said.

“Perhaps we should tell you about Morrigan and her mother first.” I interrupted. Duncan looked at me and then Alistair questioningly.

“There was a woman at the tower and her mother had the scrolls. They were both very… odd.” Alistair explained.

“Were they wilder folk?” Duncan asked.

“I don’t think so. They might have been apostates: mages hiding from the Chantry.”

“I know you were once a templar Alistair, but Chantry business is not ours. We have the scrolls; let us focus on the Joining.” Duncan took the vials from Alistair.

“Can you tell us more about this Joining ritual now Duncan?” I asked

“I will not lie; we Grey Wardens pay a heavy price to become what we are. Fate may decree you pay your price now rather than later.” He said warningly.

“I’ve come this far. I want to see this through.” I said, thinking of the price that I had already payed to become a Grey Warden. There was no turning back no matter what.

“I agree. Let’s have it done.” Said Jory rubbing his hands together anxiously.

“Then let us begin. Alistair, take them to the old temple.”

 

The old temple was none other than the ruined circular room I had first met Alistair in earlier that day. We stood grouped together waiting for Duncan to arrive. As time had gone on Jory had grown more and more anxious.

“The more I hear about this Joining, the less I like it.” He said.

“Are you blubbering again Ser knight? First in the wilds and now here!” chuckled Daveth.

“Why all these damned tests? Have I not earned my place?” he said frustratedly.

“Maybe its tradition. Maybe they’re just trying to annoy you.” Daveth teased.

“Calm down both of you. There’s nothing we can do about it now.” I said trying to re-focus the two of them.

“I only know that my wife is at home with a child on the way. If they had warned me… it just doesn’t seem fair.” Ser Jory’s anxiety was growing worse and worse.

“Would you have come if they’d warned you? Maybe that’s why they don’t. The Wardens do what they must, right?” Daveth argued.

“Including sacrificing us?” snapped Ser Jory.

“I’d sacrifice a lot more if I knew it would end the Blight!” Daveth said jabbing Ser Jory in the chest. I stepped in between them both pushing them apart.

“We don’t know that Daveth. We don’t know what we will be asked to do!” I said.

“Don’t we? The Grey Wardens have saved the world from darkspawn before. I’d say they know better than anyone what it takes!” he snapped at me.

“You saw those darkspawn today Elissa, closer than the rest of us. Ser Jory, wouldn’t you die to protect those that you love?” he asked him.

I saw my parents face in the castle kitchens. My mothers face streaming with tears, my father barely able to breath, grasping his fatal wound. Duncan pulling me through the tunnels, the sounds of fighting and screaming behind me… yes I’d do anything to go back and protect them even give my own life.

“I…” Ser Jory looked down at the floor unable to answer Daveth’s question.

“Maybe you’ll die. Maybe we’ll all die. If nobody stops the darkspawn, we’ll die for sure.” Daveth said passionately.

“I’ve just never faced a foe I could not engage with my blade.” Ser Jory said nervously.

The conversation ended abruptly after that as Duncan arrived carrying a goblet of liquid in his hands.

 

“At last we come to the Joining. The Grey Wardens were founded during the First Blight, when humanity stood on the verge of annihilation. So it was that the first Grey Wardens drank of darkspawn blood and mastered their taint.”

“We’re… going to drink the blood of those creatures?” Ser Jory asked looking disgusted.

“As the first Grey Wardens did before us, as we did before you. This is the source of our power and our victory.”

“Those who survive the joining become immune to the taint, we can sense it in the darkspawn and use it to slay the Archdemon.” Alister said.

“We might not survive this?” I asked. I looked toward Alistair but he would not meet my gaze.

“Not all who drink the blood of the darkspawn will survive and those who do are forever changed. His is why the Joining is a secret, It is the price we pay.” The three of us stood before Duncan who was holding the goblet full of the Darkspawn blood we had collected in the Wilds. Alistair stood between us in absolute silence.

“We speak only a few words prior to the Joining, but these words have been said since the first. Alistair, if you would?”

Alistair stepped forward, the moonlight shone down on our group casting an ethereal glow. He took a deep breath as he caught my eye before speaking.

“Join us, brothers and sisters. Join us in the shadows where we stand vigilant. Join us as we carry the duty that cannot be forsworn. And should you perish, know that you sacrifice will not be forgotten. And that one day we shall join you.”

“Step forward Daveth…” Duncan said calmly.

He nodded and strode forward confidently. Taking the goblet in both hands he drank the dark liquid within. Duncan stepped back as Daveth wiped his mouth. Then suddenly he gripped his stomach in agony, then his head, he screamed in clear pain, a piercing shriek. I watched as his eyes glossed over like white frosted glass before he fell to the floor unmoving. I stood fixed on the spot in shock. Ser Jory however was breathing heavily beside me.

“Makers breath!” he cursed in fright stepping back towards the crumbling wall.

“I am sorry Daveth.” Duncan spoke sadly. He turned toward Ser Jory who was shaking in fright.

“Step forward Jory.” He spoke. Ser Jory drew his sword on Duncan holding it  out in front of him in fear.

“I have a wife, a child, had I known!” he pleaded.

“There is no turning back” Duncan spoke softly.

“No… you ask too much!” he said raising his sword toward Duncan who was now drawing his own. I watched still frozen to the spot as he swung wildly at Duncan, missed and then cried out as Duncan’s blade sank into his chest.

“I am sorry.” He crumpled to the floor blood pooling from his body as Duncan brought the goblet towards me.

“The Joining is not yet complete. Step forward Lady Elissa Cousland…” he held out the goblet waiting for me to approach.

“You were called upon for the greater good to submit yourself to the taint.”

How I managed to walk those few paces and take the goblet from his hands I did not know. I thought about refusing too, about letting him end me so that I might be once again reunited with my family. However I was no coward, I would drink from the goblet and my fate was in the makers hands. Either I would awake a Grey Warden or die and meet my family on the other side. The blood was cold and thick, the taste foul in my mouth. I felt it suddenly burning as it slid down my throat and I gasped for air unable to breath. It spread around my body, I felt like I was going to burst into flame. Then I saw visions, visions of a giant dragon in the darkness. It growled angrily as it sensed me watching it. I was afraid and wanted to run away but I couldn’t move! Just when I thought he was going to reach me all turned to black.

 



© 2023 Lisa Jane Creed


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

31 Views
Added on May 2, 2023
Last Updated on May 2, 2023


Author

Lisa Jane Creed
Lisa Jane Creed

Doncaster, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom



About
I am a 34 year old Teaching Assistant from South Yorkshire, England. I enjoy writing in my free time as a hobby. From fan fiction to my own original writings. more..

Writing
CHOSEN CHOSEN

A Chapter by Lisa Jane Creed