Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by Color of the Iris

              When I awoke, my room was dark and the only light there was came from underneath my door.  I listened quietly, still lying in the same spot I had been all day.  I could hear a female voice sobbing downstairs and a low comforting voice trying to soothe the strained voice’s pain.

“Where has she gone?” Her voice cried assuming it was my mother’s.  “Where would she go?  We have phoned everyone we know and she is nowhere to be found!” she pleaded in muffled sobs.  Both of my parents’ heartbeats were

I crawled out from underneath my bed and sat looked around the dark room seeing everything with perfect clarification.  With the little light crawling up underneath my door from the living room light downstairs I could see my reflection in my huge mirror that towered over my dresser top.  I looked almost demonic with the dark eyes and dark hair… Dark hair?!?!?  I ran closer to my mirror and grabbed a lock of my hair and examined it.  Impossible!!!  My hair was not black! I grabbed a hold of myself and I began telling myself things to excuse the fact of my hair’s appearance.  Maybe it’s the darkness that makes it look black.  Maybe my eyes are being fooled, but I must turn on the light to correct and reassure myself, and I’m not going to do that, my parents would see that I am in my room.  I ran into my closet and searched the pitch-black for a flashlight and found one in an old sleeping bag of mine at the bottom of my closet.  I turned it on and ran to the mirror.

I gasped in horror and my hand instinctively rose to cup my mouth.  No way!!  That’s impossible!!  My hair was light brown… almost blonde for that fact!!!  I felt like screaming once again, but I didn’t want to summon my parents.  I looked at my eyes again and the red had nearly eaten my radiant green irises to their pupils.

“It’s just like in the story.” I whispered in fear.  “I am just like Scarlet!  No, I am Scarlet!” I remembered the lines in the book that described her characteristics and looked at myself in the mirror and the description was so similar that it was almost to be mine!  “It’s okay, just except it for what it is.” I told myself quietly.  I had only one thing on my mind at that moment and it was so evil that it could’ve possibly been me that said it.  The anger was burning so heavy inside me that I thought that I was going to disintegrate into burnt sand any second now.

I held the flashlight in my hand and gripped it with such strength that it shuttered to pieces on the floor in front of me.  I was angry at the entire world it seemed, even God up in heaven.  Feels like the weight of the world.  Like God, in heaven gave me a turn.  Don’t cling to me, I swear I can’t fix you.  Still in the dark, can you fix me?  Freefall, freefall although life.  I hummed the words mentally as they rose to my mind from a song written by my favorite band called Weight of the World.  I didn’t understand why everything was like this.  What I had done, I was not sure of, but it was going to end tonight.

I no longer fought myself about being human cause I knew wasn’t any more.  So instead of trying to keep all of my powers out of my way, I let them stretch and come awake as they began to roam full force and explore the world around me.  Everything became different… it seemed more alive, like the world had been holding everything back.  Immediately, I began to think of myself as an animal on the hunt and used my strength, speed, and agility to their full extent.  I jumped onto my bed and stared out the window above it.  The world locked outside the glass frame was swallowed in darkness leaving the street lamps shaking with fear of being alone in the dark. 

Not even thinking twice or looking over my shoulder, I opened my window and climbed out it.  I wasn’t even cold in the black night, the anger that burned inside of me kept me plenty warm.  I knew right now, if a passerby were to see me they would probably think of me as a vampire.  Am I a vampire?  Do I have a craving for human blood?  I am pale white like I haven’t seen the sun in a million years.  I do have red eyes so why not call myself for a vampire.  Why I might have possibly developed a yearning for blood.  I smiled darkly.  I was sure if there were going to be any more surprises it would be that I would grow a pair of heart stopping fangs.  I threw my mind back to the book.  Did Scarlet have fangs?  Was she a vampire?  Oh, how I could I forget?  I knew I didn’t forget, I knew exactly what the book said.  She did have fangs and so therefore I should be expecting a pair to pop up too.

My walk to my destination was short and quick with the help of “vampire” speed.  I thought about whether or not I should think of myself as a vampire, and the odds were good considering the fact that I already thought of myself as an animal.  I squatted down to observe my victim’s house.  Mr. Meyer, hmmm I wonder what you’d be doing up so late at 12 o’ clock p.m. and why all alone, my dear, sweet, old, Mr. Meyer?

I jogged up to his house and swiftly opened his door and ran around behind him.  Obviously the closing of the door had alerted him because he was now making his way to the door.

“Hello?” he called curiously?

I trailed behind him quietly waiting for the perfect time to confront him.

“Is anybody there?” he called the same thing anyone would if they thought someone was trying to intrude their house.

“Hmm.” he said with satisfaction of knowing he was alone, or so he thought.  In one slow movement he turned around and was staring me dead in the eyes.

“Amy?  Dear child, what happened to you?” he said in mock horror.

I ignored his statement and jumped down to business, “Oh, Kyle, Kyle, Kyle.  It’s too bad I can’t tell you what’s wrong with me.  If I could, I would be sparing your life, but I think I might have the title ‘murderer’ plastered all over me way too young.” I said squinting at him now.  I began walking towards him and he began walking backwards in the same rhythm, trying to keep the distance between us both the same.

“Whoa, wait a minute, Amy.  What are you talking about?  What have I done to you?  I thought we had a close relationship as a teacher and student!” he tried to drag me out of this strange stupor with pleas of fake terror.

“I think you know.  Do the words, “I know your secret,” sound familiar to you?” I asked him mercilessly.

He grew quiet.  “Yes, but I was only joking.  I thought they were only rumors!” he said now growing truly afraid.

“Rumors?  What rumors?”

He sighed and looked away for a second.  “When I had to begin to look at the book at the library, the librarian regarded me greatly.  “You’re actually going to read that book?  I’ve heard bad things about that book and the whole series.  I hear that book is cursed and if you read it, you turn into some kind of blood raging monster, she told me.  I didn’t think that such a thing could be possible, so I didn’t think anything of it!”

“And so, you thought it was okay to try it out on a student of yours?  Look what you have cursed me with.” I said making him stare at my eyes.

“Amy, you’ve grown fangs!” his eyes rounded themselves with fear.



© 2010 Color of the Iris


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

“Amy, you’ve grown fangs!” his eyes rounded themselves with fear.(“Amy, you’ve grown fangs!” his eyes rounded with fear. You can omit themselves, it would be redundant.)

I noticed more, but it was of the same type I had noticed in your previous chapters: uneeded -ly's multiple punctuation etc. But no need to beat a dead horse. Now that you know what to look for I am sure you will flesh it out on a rewrite. Other than that, this was pretty impressive stuff. Has great flow and the characters are working out well. Nice work.



Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 29, 2010
Last Updated on April 29, 2010


Author

Color of the Iris
Color of the Iris

A Nemesis Star



About
My world needs no explaining. If you should need to make an assumption about me, look to my writing. All of your answers will lie there. If you have any specific questions, message me. Have a wond.. more..

Writing