Nature's Fury.

Nature's Fury.

A Story by Lissette
"

This is a little story i have started writing. And it is helping me revise for my biology class so enjoy :)

"

Introduction: Natural Order.

 

A mutation is a spontaneous change in the genes of an individual, causing a change in proteins and a variation in the individual that was not originally inherited. Now a mutation can be helpful, or, and as you’ll find in most human cases, it can be harmful. Mutations occur over many thousands of years, the helpful kinds at least.  At least that’s how they’re supposed to. If they happen too quickly then they are more likely to hinder the human they occur within. Especially as the human race considers themselves fairly well evolved as they are. And of course every now and then a cell will get its little cell messages all messed up and it won’t be able to stop mitosing, it gets bigger and bigger and BAM you have a cancer lump. That’s just one example of a bad mutation that is affecting a “fully evolved” humanity. Because that’s what mutations are, they are a way for a species to evolve beyond what they already have become. If a mutation does occur, and it is a useful one, the individual possessing it will be able to reproduce and have little mutant babies who all have the mutation. This is assuming it’s a gametic mutation but that is a little too technical for the point I am trying to get across. So let’s say there are these little mutant babies who are better, bigger and stronger than the human population. They can withstand the diseases humans fall prey to, they can survive to the extremes of their tolerance zones, and pretty much make the human race look like weak and feeble old ladies walking across a busy intersection waiting to get hit by a passing car. The humans should react to this strain like a horny ant, wanting it’s genes to get mixed in with the “good” lot and so their blood line can intermingle and that blood line will not die out. In theory this is how the natural order would work. Shall I give an example? The human race are all brown little slaters, hiding under the big rock away from the dangerous world that may spot them and eat them. There are those that have the harmful mutation, they are like bright white albino slaters, just waiting for the hungry birds to eat them before they can get kinky and pass on their bad genes, but who would want to mate with a slater that sticks out like a sore thumb anyway? It’s uncool. Then there are the helpful mutations, randomly exceptional mutations which allow the individual gifted with them to survive much better than the ordinary brown slaters. These are the black slaters. The ones that can blend in so well that only other mutated slaters can see them and so the brown slaters, the norms, go about their little lives not realising they are part of a bigger picture, an evolving picture that they are missing out on because they cannot open their eyes to the order that is in front of them. The black slaters mate amongst themselves and suddenly the black gene is the norm and it is the brownies that are the odd ones out. The ones getting spotted. The ones getting eaten. How do you suppose this makes the brown slaters, the original norms feel? They should be happy that their race will live on, shouldn’t they? This is where humanity comes into play. You see, in the animal kingdom the brownies would accept the natural order and leave the mutated animals alone, “the better the species survives even if it’s not with me” they would think. Except humans are different, they think themselves superior, they think themselves best. They like to think that they are at the top of the food chain. And they hunt to kill whatever threatens their natural order. There were the Salem witch trials of 1692, where humans felt threatened about their way of life. How dare people try other methods besides religion to live, to heal, to survive! Let’s stamp on those evolving slaters. Burn them all! I won’t get religious here but that does have a big influence on how humanity has shaped itself to this day. There are still large accounts of human persecution and humans trying to “purify” themselves to the extent of mass massacre. It’s really sad that these people, people that could be the key to human survival, are being captured, studied and even tested like animals because the dying underdeveloped human race are trying to cling on to the last strands of hope that they can survive without mother nature’s help. Well that’s where I come in. You see I am Mother Nature. I’m Gaia. I am the all powerful force. And I think it’s about time that I helped out the mutants that I gave life to. That I changed so they could thrive. I gave humanity a chance to help itself. To breed naturally and be a peaceful and accepting place. But now I’m pissed. You remember the Black Death? Hurricane Katrina? The plague of locusts that Moses complained about? I was just getting started. It’s time to suffer humanity. And this will be a suffering like you wouldn’t believe. Umbrellas and hats- they are pointless against this rain of acidity. No god can save you now.


© 2009 Lissette


Author's Note

Lissette
This is a rough introduction. I am still fiddling with the sentences and what not but ENJOY and all criticism is welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

haha xD

you have a great sense of humor, i like that you where technical, but did not loose yourself in the details and how you continued on with the story.

oh and you actual point is very charming.
thank you for sharing

Posted 15 Years Ago


Sarcastic, witty and informative. Sounds promising. A realistic science fiction with mythic/comic overtones? :)

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

199 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 3, 2009

Author

Lissette
Lissette

Auckland, New Zealand



About
Hmmm...where to start. I feel in the mood to list...lets make some lists... Name: Sophie (no it's not short for Sophia) Age: wouldn't you like to know :P Height: ...lets just say I'm vertically c.. more..

Writing
What is love? What is love?

A Story by Lissette





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5