Got That Summertime Sadness

Got That Summertime Sadness

A Story by Nathan Squiers
"

An experimental short story using Lana del Rey's "Summertime Sadness" as the primary thought & dialogue driver w/ the mini-plot built around it.

"

Summer...

He'd met her mid-Summer--season of life and love and joy and all the things that fate had condemned him to scorn--and, for the first time in either of his lives, he felt right.

He'd never pushed to have her turned, despite his ample connections to do so, and now he was beginning to regret that decision.

And yet, she smiled up at him.

Rain drops burned his skin as her blood cooled within his palms.

He'd confided in her his time-locked troubles; his long-hidden fears. She'd only caressed his flawless skin, pursed her perfect lips and told him...

Breathe, he reminded himself. Just breathe...

"One... two... three... four..." he nodded--more to himself than to her and that damnable smile--and tried to offer one of his own; hiding the sharpness of his exposed pain. "Kiss me hard before you go, Summertime sadness." Her lower lip quivered at that, and he drew in a jagged breath. "I just wanted you to know that... that, baby, you're the best."

Their lips met several seconds before she passed, the wounds that his enemies had dealt to her finally taking their toll.

He parted from the kiss dreadfully long after her heart had stopped beating...

"Kiss me hard before you go, Summertime sadness," he repeated to himself, watching the memories that they'd created turn gray in his mind until his vision went red. He rose to his feet in an instant--her body never leaving his grasp--as his otherworldly energy rolled from him like enraged currents from a sea of lightning. "I just wanted you to know that, baby, you were the best."

And with that, he was off...

I'm feelin' electric tonight, he thought to himself. Cruising down the coast... goin' 'bout 99--pontifications burned in his skull; frail emotions shattering to make room for cold, merciless calculations as he darted past a tricked-out Fiat. Got my bad baby by my heavenly side. He considered his enemies and the message that they'd just delivered to him; considered all the myriad messages he wanted to deliver in return, but survival was an unlikely luxury for him on that night. Looking down at his Summertime sadness' frozen expression--that damnable smile--he realized that he'd rather die delivering a message than live another century wishing he had.

I know if I go, I'll die happy tonight.

Oh, my god, he prayed to his inner self, his energy doubling as the resolve settled like concrete in his mind, I feel it in the air; telephone wires above are sizzling like a snare!

He looked back down to her, not slowing his pace. "Honey, I'm on fire; I feel it everywhere. Nothing scares me anymore."

He remembered what she'd told him; breathe, he thought to himself, just breathe.

"One... two... three... four..." he hugged her corpse closer to his chest. "Think I'll miss you forever," he admitted to her, "like the stars miss the sun in the morning sky. Later's better than never," he recited what his mother had said to him in French when he'd just been a boy. Then, looking down at her as he let his body slip into overdrive and freeze the world around them, he added, "Even if you're gone I'm gonna drive... drive... drive."

Suddenly that song that all the kids were moping to just made sense to him; he'd make the b******s suffer all the greater for that, as well.

© 2014 Nathan Squiers


Author's Note

Nathan Squiers
One-shot piece written originally as a Facebook post.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow... that is a very raw emotive piece of writing. It's very clever how you've woven a modern pop song in and given it a whole new perspective... I'll never be able to listen to Summertime Sadness again without thinking of this story.
Thanks for sharing. :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wow... that is a very raw emotive piece of writing. It's very clever how you've woven a modern pop song in and given it a whole new perspective... I'll never be able to listen to Summertime Sadness again without thinking of this story.
Thanks for sharing. :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

494 Views
1 Review
Added on November 30, 2014
Last Updated on November 30, 2014
Tags: lyrics, vampires, romance, love, loss, depression, sadness, life, death, revenge, hope, song, music, experiment

Author

Nathan Squiers
Nathan Squiers

Honeoye, NY



About
Nathan Squiers (The Literary Dark Emperor and the author formally known as “Prince”) is a resident of Upstate New York. Living with his loving fiancé/fellow author, Megan J. Parker,.. more..

Writing