CHAPTER ONE - THE UNEXPECTED... NEWS?!

CHAPTER ONE - THE UNEXPECTED... NEWS?!

A Chapter by L.L. Lily
"

It could have been worst right?

"

April McDaniel slammed the door behind her, quickly propping her bag ever so carelessly on the sofa pinching the bridge of her nose as she circled her way through the empty kitchen. It was strangely dark, and there was no sign of its usual lively aura made by her clumsy yet loving father. Her stomach growled her intestines were twisting in pain. She had regret skipping lunch earlier that day. “It’s all his fault.” She hissed blowing the cluttered bangs off her forehead as she leaned on the tabletop crossing her arms over her chest.

Just the thought of her worst enemy made her want to punch something. “Johan Gibson, why can’t you just die already?” she growled clenching her teeth. She can’t help but get irritated at what happened earlier that day, Johan her enemy since freshmen year had once more never let a day pass without annoying her. She could have had her father arrest him for sexual harassment, but her father insisted that it was just child’s play even naming it as a little teasing crush.

April frowned it was nowhere close to a crush or child’s play it was immature torture. Her frown had deepened as she reminisce the day’s event. Johan had hidden her gym shoes at the men’s locker room and had finally informed her during third period.

The moment she had walked into the men’s locker room she had received a scar for life and didn’t dare to show existence the entire day, leaving her starving to death all because of his crime. She was hoping her father’s cooking would cool her mind and comfort her frustration when she got home, but she was even more flustered to find out her father wasn’t home yet.

She heard the soft click of the front door slamming shut and dashed towards the familiar, ready to scold him. “Speaking of devil,” she whispered tiptoeing towards her handsome father in his police uniform, planting a quick kiss on his cheek. “I thought you were going to make me starve to death!” she joked patting her sore belly.

The man smiles warily at his daughter’s pleading puppy expression, quickly patting her head apologetically. “I’m sorry Princess, daddy’s tired, wanna order take out?” he combed his hazel brown threads back slamming himself on the sofa across the room. Just by looking at him, she could tell he was indeed tired after a long day working at the police station and aided him in removing his shoes.

After successfully freeing his toes, April giggled plopping beside him, “Sure but I want Chinese.” She winked clicking her tongue as she placed the phone on speed dial. She was expecting a warm meal prepared for her, but looks like things are slowly changing in the McDaniel’s household. The third Wednesday’s of the month was always her favorite day it was the day when her father, Jonathan McDaniel, made his famous homemade casserole, one meant for the special people in his life to savor.

April love his cooking the most, and despite the fact she have craved for the love from her long deceased mother, she was content and happy with her life alongside with her strong loving father who had cared for her ever since she was born, and she wouldn’t want to exchange him with anyone else.

The two had settled in the kitchen, savoring the instant meal prepared right in front of them. Mr. McDaniel’s sat on his favorite chair across his daughter, watching her devour her meal like a dog that hadn’t eaten for days.

“Princess,” Mr. McDaniel’s started, wearing a troubled expression, although he was a cop known for busting the most dangerous and notorious criminals he had a weak spot for his angelic daughter.

April looked up, quickly slurping the noodles down her endless tunnel. “Hmm?” she murmured blinking as she stared innocently in his eyes.

Mr. McDaniel’s hesitated, his fingers nervously wrestling one another above table in front of him, his dish was set aside and he hadn’t touched any of it ever since it had arrived.

“You do know that daddy’s dating someone right?” Mr. McDaniel’s said not meeting his daughters graze. April scowled but quickly brushed it away with a nod.  “I was thinking, would it be alright if I bring her over tomorrow for dinner?”

April spat the spicy liquid back onto her bowl, shocked. “What?” she growled still unable to sink that fact deep inside her brain, she didn’t like where this conversation was going.

“It’s been a while, I was wondering if she could meet you for future reference.”

April couldn’t believe what she was hearing; she was irritated at the fact that he had the guts to tell her in her face that he was replacing her mother. “The way you say it, sounds like you’re planning to marry her dad!” April beamed breathing heavily.

Mr. McDaniel’s stood up on both feet, leveling her tone of voice. “It’s not like that Princess I know you’re upset. But maybe she would be good for us, after all you always longed for a mother.”

This time, April pouted, deep inside she was raging but managed to keep a calm expression. “I don’t need a mother, I have you dad. I don’t want someone else, and no one could take the place of the woman who had given birth to me,” she paused taking in some air before continuing, “I can’t believe you of all people could forget about the woman who had given birth to your child, the woman you loved before me!”

Unlike his daughter, Mr. McDaniel’s wore a gloomy expression he was frustrated at the fact that she wasn’t open-minded about the situation. He already knew he had lost this round and didn’t stand a chance arguing with her any further.

“I still love your mother Princess, I was just thinking, you are growing up. You’ll find someone who would take care of you and in the end I’ll be alone, I’ve been alone ever since your mother left and for seventeen years I’ve been trying to become the best father you could be proud of. You always asked me about your mother and always came home crying whenever they teased you about not having one I "” before he could finish April interrupts with a halting finger. “Like you said dad, I’m growing up. I don’t care about what other’s day. I am happy with my life now, I don’t need a mother, and I just need you in my life dad.” April stepped forward slyly tidying her father’s blue wrinkled uniform, “And besides, no one could replace you yet.”

Mr. McDaniel’s nodded spreading his arms, motioning his daughter to a hug in which she had gave in breaking into tears.

“You’ll always be my princess April, I’m not asking much, I was just hoping you’d give her a chance, give me a chance for this second opportunity.”

April rubbed the corner of her eyes, still sniveling. “Fine, but it would take her a while to impress me, and while I’m still alive, there is no way she can ".”

Mr. McDaniel’s halts her placing a finger on her lips, “April, give her a chance.” He whispered.

April had never seen him this serious before, the woman must be special to him. She nodded smirking victoriously, “you didn’t let me finish dad, there is no way she can live with us until I give the go signal.” She retired smiling sweetly as she buried her head on her beloved father’s warm chest.

“I promise you’ll approve of her.” He whispered resting his cheek over her cluttered hair.

They would have stayed in that position longer but Mr. McDaniel’s, being all worked up over what he wanted to say and hadn’t had a chance to start on his meal, stomach growled having both of them burst into uncontrollable laughs.

April wiped away the remnants of her tears and plopped back on her seat to finishing her meal Mr. McDaniel nodded, sitting back down this time openly digging into his share of the meal in front of him, content after removing the once heavy boulders over his shoulders. He was grateful to have an understanding kind and loving daughter, he knew he had raised her well.



© 2013 L.L. Lily


Author's Note

L.L. Lily
lol, it's fun to have father's who surprisingly fear their children. It's admirable and plainly funny.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
Added on August 22, 2013
Last Updated on August 23, 2013


Author

L.L. Lily
L.L. Lily

About
Everyone has a beautiful life story, you lead it, life writes it to what we call past or history. No matter how small, every little detail counts. My paper, your pen our hands joined as an beautiful i.. more..

Writing
authors note authors note

A Chapter by L.L. Lily


BUlletproof BUlletproof

A Story by L.L. Lily