CHAPTER FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR

A Chapter by L.L. Lily
"

our lovely assassin is injured?

"

I have awakened from the horrid dream breathing heavily as I clutched my chest with my cold sweaty palms, what made it worse is that my body was sore from the position I have been all night long. Marci licked my face, she knew I had a bad dream and immediately comforted me the only way a dog can. I smiled halfheartedly. Why did I dream that anyway? Seeing what had happened to Nathan made my heart feel like billions of knives had stabbed it all at once. Could it have been a bad omen? After all, dreams are symbolic to our daily lives. It could be telling us about our future, and it could tell us what we were really thinking while we are awake and moving onto our daily lives. My heart was still throttling… it is as if someone had grabbed me by the neck and didn’t want to let go, tightening their grip by the second. The trance was suffocating just thinking about it wounded me deeply. Just what were those dreams about? Why was Nathan angry, who was the father of the kid I was carrying? Who had shot Nathan?

            Before I could blow my head off with all the questions flooding in my mind, the doorbell saved me from the future headache. Hiding the documents under the couch, I rushed towards the door quickly combing my hair with my bare hands to save me some good impression, I revealed myself (apparently still in my satin lilac pajamas) to the unsuspected visitor at that moment: Max Washington.

            Max blushed, my eyes wandered at the pair of hands below him where he had held a basket filled with varieties of fruits. I smiled at the fact that this time since it’s in the season, they had given me more of the mangos I craved.

            “I’m really sorry about what happened yesterday Isa.” Max repented. I nodded making way for him as he shyly entered the premises of my home and dropped the basket on the coffee table. I directed him to the couch where he had sit still, sincerely apologetic of the incident the other day.

            “I’m not in the position of telling who you should befriend, but I hope you know that what your friend did yesterday is unforgivable and should not be tolerated.”

            Max shook his head, I know he is a good kid and I knew he wasn’t the type to show such attitude like Reynolds’s son. “I’m really sorry Isa, I’m really thankful you didn’t tell my mom,” he paused blushing as he bit his lip. “I personally came here to apologize, I know these aren’t enough, but please accept them.”

            “You really are a good kid Max,” I said, glancing at my watch, which was a quarter past ten. I grinned, looking back up to meet Max’s graze “but, I would only accept your apology wholeheartedly if you join me for the morning worship.”

            Max nodded rubbing his arm sheepishly. Seeing how formally dressed he was I could tell he was going to church with his mother as soon as he delivered his peace offering anyway, so why not ask for a chaperone?  It was a perfect timing too since I was planning to repent my sins in the holiest day of the week, and why not? After all, we go to the same small Christian church at the south side of town.

            This was the second day I had speeded up my usual interval of bathing, usually I’d take my time, but I can’t bore the young visitor downstairs who was running late for church after the trouble he had gone through just to deliver a peace offering. I got off the shower, slipping into a floral sunny dressed and quickly combed my mop down so that I didn’t make a total fool of myself in front of a teen five years younger than me.

            Downstairs I met up with Max who had been wearing a delighted façade as he toyed with Marci who had lifted her leg as Max scratched her pink furry belly. I giggled snatching the car keys on the counter and signaled Max out.

            The small blue and white church was a ten minute drive from home, we dropped by Max’s house were Mrs. Washington was already dressed in her Sunday attire and wore a thankful expression that I had offered them a ride. I didn’t mind since living alone and going to church alone was lonely enough, sometimes, being around people wasn’t bad, and the Washington’s were almost like family to me.

            We arrived to our destination with ten minutes to spare, the brethren’s have been chatting away in their seats as we entered the building. I spotted Nathan at the front row smiling as I walked towards him. He planted a quick kiss on my cheek as I sat beside him.

            “Am I late?” I joked, I knew I was early I just wanted to confirm it with the sound of his voice. My chest still felt wounded after the dream I had about him, and hearing his voice made my heart feel at ease.

“No, you’re just in time.” He chuckled, curving his kissable lips into a smirk.

I nodded, so he didn’t think I was weird after going too fast with him. The morning worship had begun, like normal church worships, we sang hymns, had an opening prayer, lords supper, bible lesson and a closing prayer. In between prayers, I had mostly repented on what I had done, asking for forgiveness, and of course prayed for the people close to me especially Nathan. I asked for the answers to questions, I asked for guidance, was I going to the right path?

Going to the morning worship did ease my mind and the large heavy boulders that once lay upon my shoulders now slightly lifted. At the end, the Washington’s had insisted that they would ride the service and Nathan decided we went on a date. It wasn’t really a date since where we were headed wasn’t a pleasant place for me to be. I just felt depressed once more. Since we were prosecutors and technically part of the government, the Liu’s had invited us along the rest of the prosecutors to join the mass held for Liu’s mother.

Yes, I was tempted, but yet again, I managed to overcome that hatred boiling deep down inside me. I managed to keep calm and sit comfortably under the tent as I watched the rest of the Liu’s stand in front of the coffin across us. I had my chance to view her body inside the coffin. Mrs. Liu had entered the stage of sleeping for eternity. Her skin was dead pale, and although she was in her nineties, there was no trace of wrinkles on her face. I watched Liu mourn for his lost, I could distinguish what of the two categories he could fit �" guys who didn’t look good in tears and guys who did, and sadly he was the latter. I wondered if I’d see that same expression when he’d plead for mercy, falling down on his knees, pleading to spare him.

Nathan however, brushed away these vicious thoughts by squeezing my hand. He must have noticed me spacing out. I looked up, flashing him a reassuring smile. I hated going to funerals or masses at this matter, it was depressing enough that I lived alone, now I had to endure yet another depressing episode.

My phone rang, and I had excused myself scurrying through the crowded seats around us. I ended up a few feet away, leaning against the large oak tree as I took the call and stared at the ant like crowd across me. I didn’t bother to look at the caller ID of the call, and used a casual tone when answering it, identifying the rasping tone of voice from the other line as Kristin Sutton.

I knew that voice very well. She was a woman in her mid-thirties, beautiful, but her voice wasn’t appealing. It had been like that for a year now. She worked for the home for the aged, and usually came home late after her shift. One night she had struggled for life when a man from behind attacked her with chains and wrapped them tightly against her neck. If it weren’t for me, she would have lost not only her throat but also her head by now. I had visited Josephine late that night, and as I was on my way to my car, I had immediately heard her scream a few cars away. The bouncer and I had managed to get him off before things got bloody. We rushed Kristin to the hospital, the man immediately put onto trial, and I was the star witness for her case.

Kristin’s tone of voice was calm, she barely called me and when she did usually meant something bad had happened to Josephine. I swallowed hard waiting for her voice and hoped that it wasn’t serious.

“Isa, I just called to report that Josephine had another one of her ‘episodes’.”

“God, is she alright?”

“Yes, no injuries, we managed to get her to calm down, nothing serious so there is nothing to worry. I just called to inform you.”

I nodded, “Thanks Kristin.” she knew I wouldn’t like it if she hid everything that happened to Josephine, and made sure she gave me a call once something happened.

“No problem.” Kristin dismissed. Her rasping voice died out followed by the sound of my phones dial tone as she ended the call. I jammed it back in my back pocket, crossing my arms over my chest as I once again stared at empty space.

Suddenly something from below pulled me down having me tumble and fall spraining my leg. I frowned, squinting in pain as I trailed the hand from behind the tree, finding the nuisance from yesterday. Figures, he was here because his father was a good friend of the Liu’s. I wondered if the b*****d was here as well. Christian, if I can recall, that was his name, was drunk, he was reeking of liquor. He held onto to my foot, not letting go no matter how hard I kicked him.

“Let go you idiot!” I growled once more kicking his grip, he only held onto them tighter.

“No.” he babbled, this time stroking my leg. (I swear Goosebumps began to form the moment he had touched me)

“You weirdo, let go of me before I file a complaint on you for sexual assault!”

He puckered his lips his eyes closed having him looked childishly cute. (Why did I say that?) “No.” he mumbled.

Nathan had appeared beside me, a shocked looked creepy on his face as he eyed the pervert who had a firm grip of my foot. “Isa are you alright?” he never called me by my nickname before he must be utterly worried.

I grimaced, as much as I wanted to give him a sarcastic answer like ‘do I look alright? My feet is twisting in pain!’ but instead shook my head as I rubbed the swollen area of my foot.

Bobby who had seen us helped on removing Christian’s grip as Nathan had bridal carried me all the way to his car. I insisted on walking myself, but he didn’t want me to. And did the same when we got to my home. As always, Nathan was caring. I can’t help but snuggle in his hold, and in the process blush thinking that it was like we were married, but that’s just me.

Nathan laid me on the sofa with Marci sniffing the swollen area of my foot as Nathan returned with an ice bag and placed it on my foot. It was cold and soothing. Nathan still wore that worried expression, but this lightened when I planted a kiss on the back of his hand.

“I’ll be alright, you could go home.”

“I can’t leave you Isa,” Nathan said, tucking a stray strand of my hair behind my ear. “I’ll spend the night here to take care of you, if it’s alright for you.”

“I don’t mind you staying, but are you sure it’s alright with aunt?”

I find guys like Nathan really attractive, still living with his mother despite being a full grown responsible man. The good thing about him was that he was fearful and owe his life to his mother who had given life to him, and did his best to become a son she could be proud of.

“She’ll understand, I’ll just leave extra early tomorrow to get changed and head to work,” he broke into smile, pinching my nose playfully, “and you Miss White, should take a day off and heal your leg.” I pouted it was like staying home when you are sick. I hated that. 



© 2013 L.L. Lily


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

108 Views
Added on September 1, 2013
Last Updated on September 1, 2013
Tags: crime, romance, revenge


Author

L.L. Lily
L.L. Lily

About
Everyone has a beautiful life story, you lead it, life writes it to what we call past or history. No matter how small, every little detail counts. My paper, your pen our hands joined as an beautiful i.. more..

Writing
authors note authors note

A Chapter by L.L. Lily


BUlletproof BUlletproof

A Story by L.L. Lily