4

4

A Chapter by Louis McKraker

I turned and watched the jar slide across the floor and smack into the frame of my bedroom door.

It did not break. That was a relief. Thank goodness.

My heart, which had been given a false-start, began to slow a little.

I moved quickly and snatched up the jar. When I turned back to him, Scott had disappeared into his bedroom, and the door was closed. Probably locked, knowing him.

I went back in my own room and sat my jar on my writing desk.

The smell of the horrible stuff seemed to linger in my shirt�"and my nose.

I discarded the smelly thing into the clothes hamper and went to take a shower.

 

I woke sometime after midnight, having only been asleep for a couple of hours.

I heard the sound of Scott leaving his room, shutting his door behind him. He was heading downstairs; likely for a midnight snack.

I myself grabbed my tablet resting on my nightstand.

I figured I would be awake for a couple of hours now, before I could get back to sleep. What better time to catch up on my reading?

As I went to search out a book, however, I was interrupted by the sound of scratchy footsteps in my brother’s room.

I listened for a second, thinking he may have made it back quicker than usual. He didn’t, though.

As I listened I heard him downstairs in the pantry.

Scott would likely be down there for several minutes, only.

I heard another heard footstep across his hardwood floor again.

It sounded like something with sharp, strong claws shuffling. The sound of claws clicking across the floor drifted along the hallway.

It made my skin crawl. The hair on the back of my neck rose up.

Something had come into his room!

I thought for a moment that maybe a large bird had come into his window, and he was downstairs, getting it something to eat.

That didn’t last long, though. I told myself how stupid that sounded.

It was something that I knew was not from this world.

Monster Bait had worked!

Not only had it worked, but Scott was most likely still wearing the same shirt he had been wearing earlier!

That was an even more terrifying thought…

He still smells like the stuff!

I crept quietly out of bed and opened my door even more quietly.

I could still hear Scott downstairs in the kitchen, and I could also still hear the heavy footsteps coming from his bedroom.

I went back to my bedroom quickly. I didn’t get any reading done at all. I was in bed and back asleep before I knew it.

That was when the nightmares began.



© 2020 Louis McKraker


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Can't wait to read more! :)

Posted 3 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

44 Views
1 Review
Added on June 22, 2020
Last Updated on June 22, 2020


Author

Louis McKraker
Louis McKraker

NC



About
My name is Louis McKraker. I was born in Central Alabama and began writing at age nine. I don't have much to say about myself, except I'm a Piscean. I prefer poetry over prose. I love storytelling... more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Louis McKraker


2 2

A Chapter by Louis McKraker


3 3

A Chapter by Louis McKraker