Dawn's Calling

Dawn's Calling

A Chapter by Amanda

Prologue:

    Did you ever get a bad feeling that something was going to happen? A feeling that was like a twitch in the pit of your stomach and it didn’t go away. It was just there aching and annoying you to death. Then all the sudden bam, you hit the car in front of you and a train reaction happens. When it’s over, a dawning comes to you and you realize what that feeling was about. Well I didn’t have that feeling, that subconscious premonition if it were called. I went in unprepared and unready for the task at hand. All I could do was stand there and watch it happen.  Wondering how my life could go, so wrong in such a short amount of time.
    I looked at the small group of kids no older then I was and felt warmth of such great pride and hope.  Hope which was burning inside me. Telling that while one of us was standing we could do this.    That just maybe we would win. Because these new found friends were my family and we were strong in are own ways. I turned to my second and stared for a minute into the green eyes that I grew to love and trust, wondering what he saw in me. A once scared and lonely little girl, that didn’t relay on anyone. That was bitter and angry at the world.  But here he was guiding me and helping me in the ways of a leader, and I was grateful. But they expected so much from me, and I wasn’t sure if I could do it.
    As the sun began to rise I heard the faint sound of cars driving fast, down the highway. I heard the stillness of the forest around use. It was like the earth was lying down and quiet, knowing something was going to happen.  A war of sorts, a war to the finish, who wins wins, no retrials, we are dead or alive. As I heard the turning flicker of the cars, I turned to my warriors, who trusted me to keep them alive and safe. I didn‘t know what was going to happen, but I would try my best.

“Get ready guys there almost here.” I said, as I saw the dust flying around the cars, like a sandstorm in the Sahara.  As the last car came to a stop, a woman stepped out. She was dressed in an all black tux and walked with a cockiness that said she already won. One by one her followers surrounded her, taking her flanks and lining up. I could see the eagerness in there eyes, they wanted blood, and so they would get it.  I skimmed over the group of kids my age knowing there faces and unsteadiness formed in me. These kids were who I grew up with and know I would have to fight with them. My eyes stopped when I reached the all too familiar blue eyes that I had once trusted, and when I saw him smirk I knew that he was going to go first.

“He’s mine.” I didn’t wait for an agreement, I knew they would listen. The adrenaline was poring through my veins and I crouched in a ready stance, placing my hands on the ground. In one last minute I saw everyone getting ready then red flashed before my eyes and I felt my body changing, getting warmer. It was brief now that I was used to it, and I took one last look behind me giving the ok. Then I was off running to my first target.

               



                Chapter 1 “The beginning”

    The sun woke me; I could feel it ravishing me, warming me to the touch. Just the warmth of the tiniest ray of sun could put me in a good mood. I really can’t think of a time when I wasn’t happy to see my sun shining on me. It was my sun, the only thing I could count on in my life. It was like it shined just for me. But on days when it rained and thundered, shaking me to my bones. I felt the same as the sun, depressed and deprived of its luxuries heat.  I dragged my self out of bed and threw on an outfit I quickly pulled together. It was just a pair of jeans and a plain pink tee shirt. It’s not like I had anyone to try and impress. I didn’t have any friends or boyfriends for that matter. But I didn’t mind, I had gotten over that lonely depressive state when I was in seventh grade. The way I thought about it, was if they didn’t want anything to do with me then that was there problem.
    I went over to my boom box and turned on my favorite song, and hummed it to my self. Music was a big part of my life. Like the sun, I felt like it just flowed through me. I always wanted to take lessons when I was little, but soon when I got older I learned that I really didn’t need them. Music was just a natural part of me. I could open my mouth and sing a full length opera, with out any stops or breaks. So I took language lessons, learning French, Spanish, and Latin.  So I would be able to sing in any language I wanted. But I needed more; there was just this aching that I felt just in the pit of my stomach. Like I was meant for something more, greater if I was saying it right. Sometimes when the sun would go down I would stare at the moon feeling the loneness of being alone. My mom wasn’t always there.   I was alone in a big house with to many empty rooms. It was to quiet, to lonely.  I asked my mom once why she didn’t have more kids, but she only said that I was all the children she wanted, that I was special. Well I don’t really see what is so special about me. I looked at my flower shaped alarm clock and turned toward the door.  
     Before I walked out the door my eyes schemed over a reflection in my full length mirror. Staring back at me was a girl I’ve seen for the past seventeen years. The same black hair that flowed down to her waist, the same summer tanned skin that no matter how long you stayed inside it always was tan, and the same light violet eyes that always held an unspoken secret that I wasn’t in on. It was the same me as always, but today I felt so far away from this girl starring at me in the mirror, I couldn’t put my finger on it but something was different. A tremor of heat ran through my body and the girl in the mirror gave an involuntary shiver. I looked into the confused girl’s eyes reading the question there, “What was that about?”  

“You are Phoenix Johnson and you have survived another whole year of school, you will make it five more days.”   I said very seriously staring into the girls eyes.  Then the girl smiled

“But hey look at the bright side Phoenix at the end of the week you shall be eighteen. Isn’t that cool?” I watched as the girl in the mirror did little half jumps and twirls, smiling and laughing all the while. Wondering what was different about her.

‘Phoenix, stop jumping, your making me spill my coffee” my mom yelled with the tone, you know the tone, like I’m serious tone or don’t make me come up there tone. I hate the tone. Lately moms been uptight, I guess real state is good.   I guess the real state is really good this month.

“Sorry mom” I grumbled and grabbed my book bag and jacket. I reached the beautiful white mahogany oak spiral stair case. You know like the kind you see in one of those really old movies. I always took my time going down them, feeling like a princess every time. When I was a little girl I would dress up like a little fairy and act like I was walking down my big oak tree, coming to see my loyal subjects. But like always there was no one there, just an empty hallway.  

“Phoenix hurry up you’ll be late for school and I can’t bring you today. I have an appointment with the walkers.” my mom called from the kitchen. Great I’ll have to ride the bus. Like I haven’t had to ride that stupid smelly, loud bus all year. But I had to ride it on the first day of the last week of school. Ugh.

“Sorry mom” I mumbled under my breath. I took in her appearance; she looked nice in her navy blue suit and a white blouse with ruffles in the front, her short blonde hair in tiny little spirals around her head.  The thing that I could never understand about my mother and I, was that we were complete opposites not just in personalities but in looks to. Her with that platinum blonde hair and tiny little waist, the straight strong nose and lips that would put a modal to shame, and little old me, black hair violet eyes and slim but not a sexy figure. We were so different I figured that I took after my father but every time I asked about him she would sigh and change the subject. I took one last look at her and grimaced, something does will never get answered.  
      I went to the cupboard and grabbed a bowl and my favorite cereal. I looked at my mom while I ate. Something was off about her. The little line between her eyes only came when she was really stressed, but I knew she can’t really be stressed about the Walkers.  It wouldn’t take to long to fit them, for a house.  The all American house, with a rap around porch and a nice view.  No something was really bothering her. After I finished my cereal I walked over to my mom, and placed a hand on her shoulder. She reached up with her hand and gave me a pat before getting up and placing her cup in the sink.
“Mom, what’s wrong.” I asked not really caring if I missed the bus, I would walk. Huh. She looked up and smiled a sad smile.

“Oh nothing honey, I was just thinking about your birthday is all. You’re going to be eighteenth. If feels like I haven’t had enough time with you I’m not ready yet. I don’t think I will ever be. You know when you were born; you were the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. The doctors placed this little pink thing with dark black hair right in my arms. I just stared at you. I couldn’t believe you already had all that hair. It was so beautiful, and then you opened your eyes. Everyone in the room gasped when they saw your eyes. They were so intelligent, so bright and the color oh. The color of a setting sun, dawns last light. I’m not ready” she said wiping her eyes with a napkin. It’s something every mother says at a time when her child grows older. But the way she said it was like she thought I was going to leave her. But why would she think that, I never said I was ready to leave her. I actually had no plans of leaving her yet. I loved my mom, and plus staying with her for awhile would give me a head start in life. Instead of going of to college and spending my money on a dorm I could just help my mom with the bills here. I walked over to her and hugged her tight.

“Mom, don’t cry. I’m not going any where for awhile. I don’t want to leave you yet.” when I heard her cry harder. I released her and looked at her. Her eyes were so sad, so hidden. Like she knew something I didn’t.
“Mom, what’s wrong?” I whined knowing I had to get to school but I just couldn’t leave her. Not like this.

“I’m fine honey. Don’t worry. It’s. It’s just hard thinking about my little girl, out there in that cruel world. If only I had a time machine so I could shrink you back into a four year old.” she smiled and hugged me.

“Ugh, you want me to have to go through puberty again.” she started to laugh and hugged me tight; I hugged her back, and felt a warmth growing inside of me. It was like it was spreading from my heart. I could feel the heat moving all over my body. Warming me to the touch.

“Phoenix! You’re burning up. Are you fevering? She walked over to the medicine cupboard and grabbed are really old thermometer.
“Here put this under your tongue. No don’t argue just do it. Know phoenix!” she yelled when I tried to protest. I shot her a look and placed the old thing in my mouth. When it went off my mom all but ripped it out of my mouth.
“Good lord, 99.9 degrees Fahrenheit. You’re going in late today and the walkers can just wait an hour. Here take these and go lay down on the sofa.” my mom said handing me a Tylenol and a glass of water.  Well I wasn’t going to complain. It wasn’t like I need to be at school anyway. One of the perks of not having any friends is that you have plenty of time to do your homework. I will be graduating with a 4.0 average and a full scholarship to the school of my choice.  
    I lay down and listened to my mother on the phone. She was talking to someone, and by the way it sounded she was not please at what they had to say. Oh well I might as well get some more sleep before I go to school, I head the name Linda and then I was out.
      


“Linda, she’s already got a fever. So soon!”  I knew this day was coming, but like I told Phoenix earlier I’m not ready. I didn’t ask for a special child, but I got one and I shouldn’t shun her for it, it’s just I love her so much and I know what is coming.

“Brenda, calm down. It’s normal, we new it was coming. Yes it is very soon but that only means that she is going to be very powerful. We are going to win this time.”

“I know I know, but I can’t let her go. I know I have to. I just can’t” weeping in the phone I look over at the sleeping girl, that I was lucky enough to get to know. I could already see the coloring in her dark hair getting darker, the color of burnt charcoal. She won’t be my little girl anymore, what am I going to do. She was talking about collage and staying at home for a while but that won’t happen. She is coming into a whole new world and she doesn’t even know it.
“What do you want me to do Linda” I said wiping the tears from my eyes.

“Just send her to school, they are watching her Brenda, she’ll be safe. I Promise. I want you to keep taking her tempter regally, and keep me updated; anymore changes and I need to know. It’s almost her birthday. She’ll be coming out soon.

“Ok, Linda. I’ll call you later, yup bye.” I hung up and walked over to my beautiful daughter, and gently stroked her silky hair. I could already see the light sun kissed glow in her cheeks. She is going to be beautiful. When they first told me about her destiny, I literally wanted to slam the door in there face, but then I started to see the signs. The specks of light that shimmered from time to time, when her hair would sway a certain way.  Oh but they took care of that all right, couldn’t have her being discovered, now could we. But even though they did there best, those parasites still fond her and they were just waiting. Waiting for when she was vulnerable. Well that time was drawing near, five more days was all I had left.

“Phoenix honey, wake up. You need to go to school now.” I said patting her head softly. She gave a little grudge and rolled over to her other side. Like a little sleeping kitten. I went over to the bay window that she insisted we install when she was six. She said that she couldn’t see the sun, she said “mom we need, need a bigger window. I need to see the Sun.” so what do I do, yup I have a new bay window installed complete with a bench seat and cushion seats. It used to be her favorite place but some things change. I opened the window and smile when I saw the streams of sun beams shining through the window. I followed the streams and it was like they were moving around me and straight toward Phoenix. When they touch her face, she sighed and opened her eyes. When she turned toward me I nearly flew out the window, her eyes were the color of the morning sun, and they were fire. I sat down and just watched her soak in the sun. She saw me staring and smiled.

“Know what are you staring at.” she said stretching and unintentionally bathing in the sunlight.

“I was trying to wake you up, but you had other plans. What were you dreaming about?” I wanted know what could make her eyes burn so bright. When I saw her blush and stand up I was intrigued.  
“So what was it?”

“Oh nothing, just a dream.” she shrugged it off and went into the kitchen. I guess I’m not going to get an answer from that.

“The doctor said to just send you to school and if you’re feeling bad you can come home.” I added the last part, Linda wanted her far away from me, but I was her mother and I could mother her if I wanted to.

“Oh? Well I don’t really feel bad at all. I feel grate actually, like I just ran a mile and I can do anything.” I look at her smile and felt mine fading she was changing to fast. Where was my little girl, her life went by to fast.

“Well let’s go then don’t want to be too late for your first Monday of your last week of school.” I laughed when she gave me her famous look, it was a cross between really ticked off and are you serious. , got me every time.

“Mom, do I have to go.” she said in a very three year old whinny voice.

“Yes!” I said and walked out the door.  I waited a minute, giving her time to get her stuff and come very slowly through the door. She looked so sad, like I was condemning her to some horrible torture.  The school wasn’t that bad, I went there myself. But I wasn’t her I guess. Everyone’s high school life is different. Some kids are preppy, or become jocks and cheerleaders. But on the other hand some kids like my daughter don’t fit in at all. There was just something about her, some unexplainable force field that you couldn’t understand and couldn’t break through. She never really minded being alone, but that is what she shows on top. What’s under those perfect little lines and shells no one but her really knows. I beeped my horn ones and smiled when she started to walk slower.

“About time” I said when she finally opened the door to my 1999 Volkswagen beetle. They didn’t make them like this any more. It was green, a color that phoenix absolutely flipped out about. She was like, “Mom why, why couldn’t you be normal and get a color that doesn’t stand out so much.” she then stalked off and slammed her door. Soon though, she got used to it. Well she really didn’t have a choice, it was either get over it and excepted it, or walk to where you want to go.

“So I was thinking. I have to work until four, but then it’s just you and me. What do you say we go and catch that new Johnny Depp movie, you’ve wanted to see?” I smiled when I saw the obvious intrigued expression on her face. But other then that something was definitely bothering her. I thought back to the dream she didn’t want to tell me about. I wonder what it was really about. But I won’t push her, if she wanted to tell me then she would.

“So? What do you think?” I said looking over at her she didn’t day anything. But she was looking directly in front of use, with a sort of scared confused look. I looked where she was looking but I didn’t see anything.

“Phoenix? Phoenix?” I called loudly. She shook her heard and looked over at me. Her face was not friendly.

“What?” she said buckling her seat belt?

“Did you hear me, and what were you looking at” she didn’t answer, so I started the car and pulled out of the drive.

“So do you want to go or not.” I waited for her to say something. But she didn’t and I felt myself getting aggravated. What was her problem? I didn’t do anything to her, so why was she acting like this to me. I looked over at her to find her looking at me. I smiled and so did she but it didn’t reach her eyes. She was forcing her self to smile, probably knowing what her actions were doing to me.

“Phoenix, honey what’s wrong?” I looked over at her and I saw the confusion in her eyes, she didn’t know either. It probably had something to do with the change.

“I don’t know, before when I was dreaming I saw something. It was so beautiful and then just before we left I saw something else, but it was too real. I know it doesn’t make since but it’s what I saw.” she looked like she was on the verge of crying and I felt like crying to. I just didn’t understand why we couldn’t tell her know. She’ll find out soon enough any way.

“What did you see.” she shook her head no and looked out the window. What is so bad that she can’t tell me? She always tells me everything. It’s this change; subconsciously she knows I can’t know. Even though she doesn’t know what’s going on.  It’s almost her birthday and when that day comes I won’t even know her. She’ll be apart of something else. Something grander then a human.
    I heard her groan when I pulled up to the curb, of her high school. I smile in a moment of pure humor. I tried to hide it when she looked at me scolding. Her eyes flash, and her cheeks flush red hot with anger. She looked beautiful; I wonder if she noticed the way she was changing. Phoenix was the calmest person I know, but know lately she’s been quick to getting angry. I reached over to give her a kiss and a huge, when she pulled away and got out of the car. She looked back and her hard face softened.

“I love you mom.” she said and throw her bag over her shoulder walking away. I felt a tear run down my cheek. It was so unlike her. As I drove away I looked back and saw her slowly making her way through the double doors to her high school. I felt like ripping down those doors, feeling like it was them keeping us apart. Lately we’ve become two gigantic double doors with a security code that only she knows. I drove to the walker’s house feeling less and less happy about Phoenix turning eighteen.



© 2010 Amanda


Author's Note

Amanda
Please rate, and comment.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

What an original, fresh and mysterious storyline and I don't even know the half of it! I couldn't stop reading! The relationship between mother and daughter seems very appropriate for the situation and the change going on with the daughter is intriguing. I feel bad for the mother and, as a father, can understand her plight. You've been very consistent with the flow of events and provided great description of internal feelings. There are several grammatical corrections necessary but that's what an editor is for...right?

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

160 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 25, 2010
Last Updated on April 25, 2010


Author

Amanda
Amanda

Barker, NY



About
I live in a different world, were stories come flying off the pages of what i read. The joy of finding a book that time travel you away from all things bad and into a world of prestige fantasy. I re.. more..

Writing