Moving Animals

Moving Animals

A Poem by DoNt LoSe YoUrSeLf

There is sunlight, it is Spring. There are dandelions, flowers and the sounds of birds all around. It is slightly humid, but the trees provide a cool breeze and a chance of shade. The grass is swift and sways in the breeze as it welcomes newcomers to the field.

                A day out with my father and younger sister, just to get away from the old house. In the distance, I spot a carousel. As if it just fell out of the sky and happened to land in the middle of a deserted field. As the machine starts up, I see the animals in motion and hear the tune it begins to play. The steel poles move the animals up and down, keeping them steady as the tune continues to chime. My sister begs my dad to let her play on it for a little while, he agrees and leads her, as he holds her hand, to the machine. As we approach, the animals seem larger than life. They are massive, like a science experiment gone wrong. I notice the circus theme along the machine, the big lights and multiple mirrors put into place. I notice all of the mechanics as I glance up, above the animals, to the ceiling.

                Just this day alone, I feel in a better mood than I would normally be. I feel joyful and happy, hearing my sister laughing and seeing her enjoy herself. Yes, the happiest I have been in a long time.

Alive, I am. Here, I am. My life, full of stepping stones. Both the right and wrong ones to place my feet upon. I am growing up, living the very life I should. Stumbling is okay, just as long as I pick myself up and keep moving.

                “Be alive!” They said.

                And I was. I couldn’t help but smile. Turning back, I waved to them as they were stationed on the hill. Here I am, making my decent. Into the valley, into the field. Into the brush that lay beyond. I saw the old trees and I opened my arms to them. Letting the air of the day push me onward to make my greeting.

                I am here. Alive.

                Alive, here I am.

                The day was over and I felt release.

                I was free.

© 2013 DoNt LoSe YoUrSeLf


Author's Note

DoNt LoSe YoUrSeLf
This was a writing exercise we did during class last week. We took a word and made a list about certain aspects of it, then we wrote about it for seven minutes. Then we wrote about anything that was on our mind for the next seven minutes, then we had to somehow put them together. My word was carousel and I immediately thought of the scene from Mary Poppins :) I hope you like it!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

You did this assignment well. Good job.

Posted 8 Years Ago


It's an interesting concept. :) I am guessing that carousel gave you a sense of freedom? :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


To be honest even though Mary Poppins is a classic I can't remember that scene, but I could picture it from your descriptive writing and I like the care free feeling it gave off. I especially enjoyed your ending and I even feel like the ending could have stood on it's own because it's so short, sweet, and finalizing. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

315 Views
3 Reviews
Added on September 4, 2013
Last Updated on September 4, 2013

Author

DoNt LoSe YoUrSeLf
DoNt LoSe YoUrSeLf

Madison, WI



About
Hi to all old and new Writers! My name is Emily Svetlana and this my new account. My old account is I Am Svetlana if you want to check it out sometime, all my old writing is on there. So, I decided.. more..

Writing