Memoirs of a Small-Town Millennial

Memoirs of a Small-Town Millennial

A Story by E.I. Scott
"

First 3 Chapters

"

Rough Draft

 

                   Memoirs of a Small-Town Millennial

 

        Chapter 1: Welcome

 

Born in 1993, year is now 2017. Age 24 and the world has never been so frightening. Especially for a chubby, unattractive man who is a center left liberal. The shifting world did not seem to turn in my favor. The ever declining middle class in the US, perpetual war, terrorism, racial tensions. Social Justice Warriors and 3rd wave feminists. The times have not been kind to America. Then there is me, a regular everyday guy trying to figure the world out. A world that continues to seemingly crumble. With crippling depression and anxiety. Trying to “make it”, seems impossible. The political, and social climate has never been so poisonous. With the culture war and Donald Trump being President. The 21st century is definitely at interesting times, but for very terrible reasons. Then there’s me, hoping one day I can own a home and have a steady career. However with the decapitating housing market and less jobs available that only pay the minimum. Buying a house seems out of reach. These troubling times have led to desperate people. The need to “fit in”, for kids is still alive and awful. Common sense is becoming more uncommon and with the growing power of the internet. Society has changed considerably. A growing number of people are not practicing healthy skepticism. I am not excluding myself, because I have also fell victim to disinformation. Putting feelings before facts, not thinking before I speak and contributing to things I have found to be reprehensible. There has been a very disturbing trend in society over the past decade, where the far-left has been very vocal about how it is okay to censor political speech or anything that can be deemed unpleasant. As a liberal, I am 100% against this. It is a violation of the core fabric of the 1st amendment of my home, the United States. The neo-progressives are trying to twist and call it, “hate speech”. That it’s not a part of free speech. Of course this absolutely false, hate speech is free speech and these people need to get over it. These highly politicized times, are creating dangerous precedence. That it’s okay to cause physical violence to people with opposing view points. That it’s okay to label everyone as a Nazi, homophobic, trans-phobic, and a bigot. This coming from the far-left of Social Justice Warriors and 3rd wave feminists. Groups who openly want to violate the rights of individuals under the guise of righteousness. The far-right have developed their own form of Social Justice, with a white identity movement. They also want to tear down marriage equality, and impose religious, and racial biased policies. The mainstream media seems to only entertain these far extremes. While they completely ignore the reasonable moderate, centrist liberals and conservatives. I write this as a small town, center-left liberal, hoping to break through some of the stereotypes about millennials and liberals. Maybe change the minds of the individuals who read this, who already have a preconceived notion about us. This book, is about how I see the world and the ever shift of ideologies and society, and culture. The ultimate goal is hoping to understand each other, so we can co-exist and to move forward. To continue the free exchange of ideas, and hoping we can stop a total collapse under our own ideas and emotions. 

                        Chapter 2: Simpler Times

 

I believe we all say these 2 phrases at least once in our lifetime. “I can’t wait to grow up”, I wish I was a kid again”. I believe every single person in this world, has this revelation. Yet the one with the most potency and honesty is wanting to be a kid again. I’ve been looking back a lot lately, and probably with many other individuals. I realize we greatly take for granted our younger years. Despite this we can’t really blame ourselves. We’re just kids, we only care about the present. We care only about what’s in front of us which is mostly toys and friends. School is just a drag and a waste of time. Inherently we are mischievous and all we wanted to do is have fun. We played, we were happy, yet we couldn’t wait to enter a world where these things are scarce. The purity and innocence of our childhood is highlighted most during Christmas time. We wait very impatiently for the calendar to reach the 25th of December. Christmas is a magical time, it’s warm, fuzzy and cozy. Love comes from all directions, and our faces are lit up so bright. However, we are pretty selfish as well. We do make demands, and if there not met we throw tantrums and turn into spoiled brats. Deep down we really are appreciative of what we receive. We love the love that is given to the family around us. The magic of Christmas is something I miss very much from childhood. My childhood was, “typical”. I was very rowdy, hated school and just wanted to play outside. I did also have a boiling anger under the surface, that exploded on multiple occasions. I was never good at school, had little patience and even shorter fuse. Math was a subject of nightmares, and I couldn’t seem to solve the simplest of problems. This brought great anger and humiliation. I would constantly be shamed for my lack of math skills. From my peers and brothers. I heard a lot of, “You’re stupid. Idiot. Retard! Think! Try harder! You’re not gonna get very far”! To a kid with already low-self esteem, these comments didn’t help me any. Especially hearing them on a daily basis, I realize that those comments have really burned into my psyche. Despite this not all subjects caused grief. History quickly became a favorite. I found it fascinating and was genuinely eager to learn more about the human history. Who was here before? What exactly happened at this location years ago? The mystery pulled me to learn more, and I was very attentive during social studies. Creative writing was also a favorite. I always had various kind of stories run through my head. Always wanted to share them, writing was one the few things I have a natural ability for. I embraced it at an early age, and was very enthusiastic about it. The teacher would usually give a word limit, I would always seem to exceed it. The writings would be shared and well-received by peers and teachers. That would initiate attention and to be vain I enjoyed the attention. I would put more effort into the next assignment, hoping to more attention and admiration. The more attention I received, the more angry I would get when I didn’t get the attention I thought I deserved it. I remembered going to the principles office a few times because of my anger. I snapped at teachers, broke pencils, threw chairs and would slam my head against the floor. I was never the kid that lashed out at other kids, I pointed all the anger inward. I am proud of the fact that I never used violence offensively, only in self-defense. While I said I always despised school, in the back of mind I secretly enjoyed it. I had many friends, I was liked, got attention, had lots of fun and the few subjects I excelled at brought much joy. The subjects I failed at however, brought much pain and shame. That pattern has continued through adulthood. I have said the phrase, “I wish I was a kid again”. At least 30 times in the past 2 years. Such simpler times, the only thing that mattered was how much fun you’d have and your own created world. The real world didn’t exist, our world had no problems or burdens. Just toys and parents, and sadly we all took it for granted.

 

Chapter 3: Bully & Bullied

 

While I had the typical childhood, looking back I sadly noticed that I have done some cruel things to few kids. The need for kids to, “fit in”. Is still very prevalent in today’s youth. It was no different for my childhood. We all had our tribes/cliques, in my school we all relatively got along. However, they’re were times when tensions were high and we didn’t like each other for obituary reasons. Reasons would include the way someone looks, what type of music or movies or video games a person enjoyed. We would judge fellow classmates, on the most shallow of criteria. If they were awkward at sports, or any type of physical activity. We would shun those kids out of the group and treat them with a degree of emotional cruelty. There was a few kids in particular that was harsh to. I was not a full-fledged, sadistic bully. I did treat some kids as if they were below me. One of those kids was a real brainiac. Very smart, picked up on any subject, was able to work out any problem with ease. Looking back on it, I was actually jealous of this person. Jealous of his intelligence, he had something that I didn’t and I wanted to take it away from him. I recall belittling him every time he made a mistake. I would poke fun at his appearance, his lack of skills personally. I remember one day of making him cry, I loved every second he was in pain. After that year, he moved away, I didn’t even notice, I didn’t care of the grief I caused him. We started learning about bullying and the long term affects it can have on a person. This took place in middle school, with the cold, semi-rebellious attitude. I didn’t care what these lessons had to say. Sub-consciously I must have soaked up the information. One day out of the blue, a feeling hit me like a train. It was like a bomb went off in my head, and overwhelming sense of grief took over my body. I started to think about that kid, and what I did to him. I couldn’t believe the things I said to him. Regret burned into my my mind, I could look at any reflection for awhile. The kid did nothing wrong, he was just smarter than me. I was envious and hateful. The long-term psychology affects of negative words thrown at kids can be very dangerous. That’s all I could think about, because I know first hand what it can do. I don’t know whether he is still alive. If he passed away, did he do it by suicide? These thoughts dominated my mind. I just want to apologize, tell him the truth to why I teased him. Which leads to the next point, a lot has changed in society. The one thing that hasn’t, it’s the tribalism among children. Kids will always have a need for division to feel above other children. This not exclusive to children. Since being immersed into today’s culture war and politics. I have noticed that tribalism is still ingrained in the human condition. People attack each other over political alignment, religious beliefs, skin color and culture. These adults, more than likely acted the same way as kids. Team A, is superior to Team B. Team B, is superior to Team A. “We have the moral high ground”. The only difference between these tribalistic adults are the specific issues they land on, which is also what they judge each other on. Kids worry about the way you dress, how you act and good you are at basketball. Adults worry about who you voted for, are you in favor of abortion? What are your thoughts on the war? While the magnitude of these issues are on a different scale that of kids. The principles on how we judge each other, and how we divide each other remains the same. The need to fit in will never change. This behavior seems to be innate. It’s part of the human make up. History proves this. History reveals that tribalism is very dangerous. It has caused so much destruction, division, alienation and pain. Bullying is an obvious symptom of tribalism. Many kids who have been bullied, end up taking their own lives. The mental torment can have long lasting affects on a person’s psyche. I can speak on this subject with experience. While I was not physically bullied, I was teased a lot and dealt with mental and emotional cruelty. This was done mainly by my brothers, rarely from fellow classmates. All through childhood I was treated like I was less by my brothers. No matter what I did, it was never good enough. Anything I said, it was stupid. Constant barrage of insults, for years and years. I realize how it has infected my mind today. Which has made me more sympathetic to my fellow humans since I became aware of it. Some kids have been able to pull through the other side. Live a content life, and move forward. Unfortunately many kids have made the ultimate decision. While I am not a harsh bully, I know what it’s like to be one. I know what it’s like to be bullied. Being shamed of past actions, shamed of the words I have spoken. Things I have no control over like my looks. While I have not committed the final act of suicide. I have let the negative words burn into my being. I have let it manifest in myself, I have accepted the put downs as facts about myself. I encourage everyone reading this to not let the actions and opinions of others define who you are. 

© 2017 E.I. Scott


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

197 Views
Added on November 7, 2017
Last Updated on November 7, 2017
Tags: Non-Fiction

Author

E.I. Scott
E.I. Scott

Centralia, WA



About
Starting to write my feelings, thoughts and experiences. I just want to share them. My brain races 24/7 at 50 mph. more..

Writing
Fool! Fool!

A Poem by E.I. Scott


Shake Shake

A Story by E.I. Scott


She & Her She & Her

A Poem by E.I. Scott