Five

Five

A Chapter by Lowesy

Chapter 5

 

 Prince Kai made his way to the Royal Cemetery; he tied his horse to a post and entered through the looming iron gates. He walked past the tombstones and tombs, each with a name and date and some with a description of man or woman with a royal connection. The sky was gloomy; the wind blew his cloak around him. His boots dug into the wet mud from the rain that fell moments ago. He held a single White Lily flower, his mother’s favourite. Finally he stopped at a white marble tomb with an inscription, it read; ‘Queen Tia Hunt, Caring Wife, Doting Mother, Loving Woman.’

 He placed the Lily on his mother’s tomb and heaved a sigh.

 “Mother, watch over father, help him in the battle against the giants. I fear he may not return, and if he does not return, I will become king and I don’t think I am ready for that responsibility yet.” He smoothed the rain from the white marble. “Please help him come home, I miss him, and I miss you.”

 He stood in silence for a few seconds, his brow furrowed as he combed his hair back.

 “Mother, I have another fear. Cal. He is changing; he doesn’t seem like the brother I once knew. He seems, darker somehow, and I wonder whether he will be kind to his people.” Kai shook his head, “I am sorry Mother, I didn’t mean to say such dark words, and they are mere concerns of mine.” Kai made his way to the head of the tomb. He bent down and kissed the marble before leaving his mother to rest with the other royals of Raine.

 As he walked through the iron clasped gates of the cemetery a shadow was cast over the grass. Kai looked up the skies, dark and bleak; he strained his eyes and saw two ravens circling above him. He left the cemetery and mounted his horse. He smoothed his mane and thought about everything that’s been happening, the giants, the troll, the Night Fiends, he remembered an old saying he had read in an old book when he was young.

 

 The evil that once slumbered will rise, the monsters that were created in torment will flourish and the world will once again fall into a sea of chaos.’

 

 He shook off the strange feeling in the pit of his stomach, like flying butterflies. The ravens still circled and Kai left the cemetery.

 

*

 

 Eido sat in her father’s rocking chair. The only light came from the fire in the stove. She had bolted all of the doors and locked the shutters. The fear of being attacked again had caged her. She worked hard in the daylight to board up the smashed shutter Robin Quinn had broken through to save her. She stood up and made her way to her empty basket usually filled with apples. A noise came from outside and Eido’s heart skipped. She turned around to its source. A scrape came from behind her and her head jerked in its direction. Tears found her eyes and she shook. Eido picked up the axe her father had left behind and held it firmly.

 Her eyes found the doorknob which turned again, echoes of last night rang in her mind. But this time there was a crash at the door. A loud bang came from the other side. Eido crept forward. Careful to not make a sound, she still held the axe tight as she unlocked the door and held the doorknob. She heaved a breath and yanked the door open swinging the axe violently. A blood stained sword met the wooden handle of Eido’s weapon. She stopped, shocked to find the bright green eyes and rough scarred face of Robin Quinn. A wolf lay at his feet.

 “You saved me again. How did you know he would return?”

 “I used you as bait. I knew he would come back, he always does. He gets a sniff and wants and needs. It’s his nature.”

 “You used me as bait?” Eido stood even more shocked; the idea of her being used as a dangling piece of meat for a beast sickened her.

 “It worked didn’t it?” He sheathed his sword and turned to walk away leaving the wolf at her feet.

 “You’re a monster like he was.”

 “I am not a monster.” Robin walked back to Eido; they stood face to face, inches away from one another. “I killed your attacker. I have ridden you of a menace. I have done you a service so silence your tongue.” Eido was taken aback, the man she first saw was lost. She could no longer see the saviour of the night before, but a rude, arrogant man who smelled of ale.

 “Leave.”

 “Gladly,” Robin left, storming away from Eido.

 

 

*

 

 Cal approached the throne where his brother sat and discussed matters with a sergeant. Kai watched as his younger brother rushed up the aisle, his black robes swept behind him. His brow was sweating from fear.

 “What is it brother?” Kai stood.

 “Kai, its father. The giants are winning.” Cal called to his brother as he strode forward. Kai’s heart leapt. His fear of losing his parent has come true.

 “Is he alive?”

 “Yes, but for how long I do not know.”

 “Cal, I am going to the north. Watch over Raine and wait for our return.” Kai rushed out of the hall calling to his servants as he did so.

 

*

 

 Kai’s horse galloped across the plain. Kai sat atop, his black cloak billowing behind him in the harsh wind that lashed against his face. His small group of guards followed close behind. Kai’s mind raced. Flashes of images shot across his eyes, of his father succumbing to club of a giant, of himself sat in his throne watching over Raine as it crumbles under his inferiority. A pain hit him. It bore into his skull like an arrow shot from afar. Kai slumped; he leant over to his left and fell from his horse which stopped a short distance away. Kai hit the hard dirt as he rolled. His guards circled around him, three watched the hills, and two dismounted and drew swords.

 “Are you alright my prince?” One asked, but Kai couldn’t help but writhe in pain as the hurt became unbearable. He squeezed his eyes shut but still saw flashes. Kai fought it; he pushed out the pain and breathed hard.

 “My prince?” The guard placed a hand on Kai’s shoulder. It seemed to hurt more than his mind. He screamed under the burning pressure.

 “I’m sorry, I’m sorry sir. I didn’t mean to hurt you.”

 Kai blinked hard and blew out a breath. He tried to stand but felt his legs give way. The guard helped him to his feet.

 “Thank you Sims. I am sorry for that. I can’t explain what happened.”

 “Maybe we should set up camp and rest for awhile.” Sims suggested.

 “No,” Kai shook his head, “no we must go on.”

 “Are you sure sir?”

 “Yes, yes, we must. Where’s my horse, where’s Sasha?”

 “Here sir,” a soldier walked back holding the reins of Kai’s white destrier. Kai mounted.

 “Onwards to the North, remember, this is a rescue mission. In and out, understand?” Kai’s guards nodded to him before they set off again.

 

*

 

 Robin lay in the grass. He had just watched the prince fall from his horse and writhe on the ground. Robin thought, he stood and rubbed his stubble. Prince Kai looked a lot older from the last time he saw him. Robin remembered a six year old Kai sprinting across green grass into his mother’s arms, full of smiles and laughter. Then that image burned, it withered away with Queen Tia’s untimely death. Their father was busy running the kingdom. Kai practically had to raise himself and his younger brother.

 Robin watched as Kai headed north. The giants must be rebelling. Robin wondered who was back in Raine running the kingdom, then the struck him. Cal was running Raine and that worried Robin. Should he go north and help Kai and the King, or should he head back to Raine and keep an eye on the young prince.

 Robin made a decision, he was northbound. He began sprinting. He knew the town of Barnwick was a few miles his way, where he would steal a horse a ride to the king’s aid.

 

*

 

 Kai rode hard toward the north, his mind still burned and his shoulder ached from the fall. His guards rode close at his side keeping a watchful eye on their prince. The skies were a dull grey with clouds. They passed over fields of green grass with the rain spraying behind them. But still the image in his mind was imprinted on in the blackness of his blink. The image of a man standing before the devil himself in the pits of Hel, fire and a cold wind swept around his billowing cloak. The silhouetted figure, broad backed and strong held his sword to the beast, this man was certain for death.

 Kai thought long and hard about the image, the image that came to him while unconscious. Was this father facing the giants? If so, what was he heading in to?  Should he think twice?



© 2012 Lowesy


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Thank you for the excellent story. The characters were interesting. I like the use of myths to enhance the characters. The battle scenes were very good. Thank you for sharing this story.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


ha ha, I think that if the majority of folks thought twice. Life wouldn't be so exciting! This was really cool. I'm really happy you shared this. : )

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

189 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 17, 2012
Last Updated on March 17, 2012


Author

Lowesy
Lowesy

United Kingdom



About
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheFailedMusicians?feature=mhee www.twitter.com/authorlowes I'm back with avengance! Read, Review.....something else that begins with 'R' RR's are on for now but .. more..

Writing
The End The End

A Poem by Lowesy


Jack Jack

A Poem by Lowesy


She She

A Poem by Lowesy



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..