The Preparation

The Preparation

A Chapter by Luke Rizo

After that night at the liquor store, Blake and I had become closer friends. We weren't best friends, but now he wouldn't blow off our requests to hang out, all four of us. And that was a great start, in my opinion.

Derick and his friends still picked on Blake, but I tried to interfere whenever I was around to see it happen.

"Mallory, Blake's birthday is tomorrow, right?" I nodded in response to Jake.
"Me and Daniel were planning on throwing him a surprise birthday party, wanna help us?" Jake asked.

Jake always had the best and most exciting ideas. I loved the idea of having a party for Blake. Maybe this party could get him to worry a little less and help him have fun a little more.

"Yea, I'll help. What can I do?" I asked excitedly.

"I need you to distract him long enough that he forgets his birthday. So invite him to hang out after school, okay?" Before I could question Jake, he kissed my forehead and took off.

Does Jake want me to brain wash the poor boy? How do you make someone forget their own birthday? It's just impossible.

As I thought to myself, I noticed Blake walking around the school. He looked tired, like he hadn't had any sleep.

How am I supposed to ask a sleep deprived boy to hang out with me? He should be home resting.

Either way, I went up to him and asked him to come over to my house.

"Mallory, are you sure it's alright for me to go to your house? I mean, I am a guy after all." Blake yawned a bit at the end of his question.

"Yes, it's fine. You can even take a nap at my place, if you need it. My mother wouldn't mind, she isn't even home most of the time."

"Mal, what are we supposed to do over there? If your mom isn't home, who's going to feed us?"

Does his mother feed him? Does he not know how to cook for himself?

"Blake, I know how to cook. I've been doing it since I was eight. You're in good hands." I smiled as he thought about my offer.

He looked past my shoulder with worry written all over his face, "Yea, alright Mallory, I'll go, see you after school, okay?" Then he walked in the opposite direction from where he was going before.

I was making a chicken Parmesan casserole while the dark haired boy helped my little brother do his homework.

"Blake, you never told me why you skipped a whole two weeks of school. Did something happen?" I asked with curiosity.

"Is this why you invited me to your house?"

"No, I was just worried if something bad happened. I asked you to come over because I enjoy your company."

He smiled a little with droopy eyes, "Well, uh, my mom had surgery, so I had to stay home and care for her until she got better."

"Oh, what did she get surgery for? Is she alright?"

"Don't worry about it, Mal. She's fine."

After the meal, Blake took a nap on the living room couch. He ended up sleeping over my house.

"Why didn't you wake him up?" Daniel asked over the phone.

"He looks like he hasn't had a good nights sleep."

"Mal, are you sure it's not because you like him?" He chuckled over the line.

"No, I don't like him. Why would you ask that?"

"What? You don't like him? Then why are you his friend?"

"N-no, wait, I do like him just, um, not in the way that you, uh, thought."

The sound of laughter erupted from the other end of the line, "Mal, I'm joking. I just like it when you get all flustered. Is he still with you?"

"Mm, yea he's here. He's sleeping still. I don't want to wake him up."

"Okay Mal, keep him there as long as you can, his mom gave us permission to decorate their house for the party. We sent the invitations out yesterday via group chat."

"He didn't get one though, right? It's supposed to be a secret party."

"No, he didn't get one. Jake will call you later so you can bring him home, bye."

I walked into the kitchen to make breakfast when suddenly I hear a groggy voice from near by.

"Mallory? What time is it?" Blake asked hoping it would still be Friday.

"Good morning, Blake. It's 10:53 a.m."

"Oh my god, my mom's gonna kill me. Why didn't you wake me up?"

"I um, I called your mother, she said you could stay over, since it was so late."

He narrowed his eyebrows, "No, your lying. My mom would've never let me stay over. She can't even tak-"

"Blake!" I cut him off, "She said you could stay over. You can call her and ask yourself, she will tell you that I'm telling the truth."

My brother woke up from all the yelling, "what's going on? Why are you guys screaming?"

Blake sighed, "It's nothing, what do you want for breakfast? I'll help your sister make it."

The little boy's face was glowing with joy, "how about French toast? It's mommy's favorite."

I heard a knock on the door while Blake began walking toward me, "Blake can you get that?"

He opened the door and immediately wished he hadn't, it was Derick.

"What the f**k are you doing here, prick?" Derick asked punching Blake to the ground.

I ran over to help Blake, "Derick, stop it! Don't touch him!" I yelled.

"Mal, what is he doing here?" Derick asked viciously.

"What are you doing here? I told you to leave us alone." Reminded Mallory.

Derick took my hand, "I really want us to get back together. I love you Mallory and I really can't live without you. Please, go out with me?"

"No, if you can't live without me, just die."
I shouldn't have said that. That was so wrong.

Derick gripped my wrist tightly, "Ow, Derick. Stop, your hurting me."

"You hurt me too, Mallory." He let go and walked away.

"Blake, are you okay?" I asked as I closed the door behind me.

"I'm going to the restroom, I'll be back." He grunted as he tried to stand.

"Here, let me help you stand up." I reached out my hand to him, but he refused.

"I can do this myself, I don't need your help." he stood up and walked to the bathroom with a saddened expression.

I hugged my little brother tightly and told him everything is fine. Little did I know it would be a horrendous day.



© 2020 Luke Rizo


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

11 Views
Added on January 23, 2020
Last Updated on January 23, 2020


Author

Luke Rizo
Luke Rizo

Fontana, CA



About
19 LG(B)T(Q)+ more..

Writing
Our Beginning Our Beginning

A Chapter by Luke Rizo


A Tragedy A Tragedy

A Chapter by Luke Rizo


The Hurt The Hurt

A Chapter by Luke Rizo